A Clockwork Night

Voltex

EPISODE 04: The Skull Basher

It was several hours before the Fire healers had finished with Voltex, and even longer before they deemed ShadowVezon free to leave the hospital as well. The two walked together, the Mask Maker trying to ignore the sensation of the mechanical parts that had been transplanted into his leg shifting and clicking. His walking stick was still gripped in his left hand; at this point, he had spent so long with it that he felt naked without.

They met back up with Vox, Taka Nuvia, Wiriamu, and Smoke Monster by the city gates, where the four Jungle Protectors were conversing with Lord Vohon and a few of the guards. The Fire Ruler stretched out his hand, and Voltex shook it.

“I cannot thank you enough for your assistance, my lord,” the Mask Maker said, grimacing as he shifted his weight. “This will take some getting used to, but it is enough to be walking again. I am afraid that we must move on, however.”

“Surely you can stay the night,” Vohon replied, frowning. “You have witnessed so much of Okoto’s history. It would be… fascinating to get to know you better.”

Voltex smirked. “I’m sure it would, my lord. The movements of House Aodh have not been lost on me. I’m sure you would very much appreciate the opportunity to gain further insight into how the other regions operate.”

“I’m sure that I have no idea what you’re talking about,” said Vohon. “It is the Long Night – a time when all Protectors should be united.”

“Indeed,” the Mask Maker said, nodding along. “But we must all hope it will end someday, and it would be quite useful to have plans in place for when it does. Nonetheless, time is of the essence. I’m afraid my mission is critical to ending all of this, and I cannot afford to rest.”

“Perhaps some of your companions, then?” Vohon asked, turning to the rest of the group. “What do you say? You are all weary. Stay with us for a night, and re-join your leader in the morn.”

The group of Jungle Protectors hesitated, clearly somewhat nervous about being in the heart of the Fire Region – but soon enough Wiriamu, Smoke Monster, and ShadowVezon had nodded their agreement to stay.

“What of you?” Vohon asked, speaking directly to Vox and Taka Nuvia.

“I will stay with Voltex,” Vox said quietly. “His mission is not one he can survive on his own, or else he would not have bothered to assemble us in the first place.”

“I will also be leaving,” Taka Nuvia said, shrugging. “I have been lucky so far. I’m as rested as I’ll ever be until we can end the Long Night.”

The Ruler of Fire conceded; Voltex, Vox, and Taka Nuvia said their goodbyes, and were soon on their way.

-

It was hours later when the first Undead reached the walls of Vakama City – the first in months.

When Skull Warriors began to strike at the city as well, the Protectors of Fire inside the city turned against the most natural suspects – the three Jungle Protectors that they had offered help.

Wiriamu, ShadowVezon, and Smoke Monster were all dead by the next morning, having perished unfortunately against the Undead horde.

-

It was days before Voltex, Vox, and Taka Nuvia reached what used to be the Ancient City, with the Undead horde approaching on their heels.

The Ancient City was hidden behind a swirling dark gray tornado, crackling constantly with lightning. Fierce gales buffeted against the three, growing more powerful the closer they got to their destination. The air itself seemed to be saturated with dark energies, and Voltex began to grow steadily weaker as he used his power to defend them against the very same energies that had called the Skull Army forth in the first place.

By the time they reached a tunnel that Voltex claimed would lead them into the city from underneath, the Mask Maker had to be supported by both Protectors.

It also seemed, by that time, that they were already too late – for guarding the way was a large black and purple figure wielding two axes, standing wider and taller than any Skull Warrior. Its empty eyes focused on them, and dark energy crackled around it.

“The Skull Basher,” Voltex whispered.

“ShadowVezon described it,” Vox murmured.

“What do we do?” asked Taka Nuvia.

“Once we are in the tunnel, we will be in the eye of the storm,” Voltex answered, his voice hoarse. “There you will be safe, even if the magic of the Ancient City has been crushed. Get to the tunnel, I can drop the protections, and stop being useless otherwise.”

“But how?”

The Mask Maker wearily shook his head. “I know not.”

-

The following members are now out:

-ShadowVezon, Smoke Monster, Wiriamu

The following members are still alive, and must decide on a path to take:

-Voxumo, Taka Nuvia

-

OPTION A: Once you get past the Skull Basher, reunite with your companions, and get through the Ancient City, you could try to collapse a tunnel on top of the Skull Basher to destroy it.

OPTION B: Once you get past the Skull Basher, reunite with your companions, and get through the Ancient City, you could try to find the Mask Maker’s forge and find a Mask of Power to defend yourselves with, if any are left.

Do the maths, guys. Split up. 

That way one of you will be guaranteed to succeed.

Embers - A Bionicle Saga - Chapters/Review

Class Is Out - A Farewell To Corpus Rahkshi - Chapters/Review

BZPRPG Characters - Minnorak, Kain, T'harrak, Savis, Vazaria, Lash

BZPRPG Mercenary Group - The Outsiders - Description - History - Base

Ghosts Of Bara Magna - Ash Tribe - Precipere - Kehla, Somok, Skrall, Gayle, Avinus, Zha'ar

I feel like the correct choice is pretty obvious this round, and that Vox and Taka are both smart enough to figure it out

But

I've been wrong before shrug.jpg

E: Oh sweet a disk of time, now I can... um... well, continue not doing anything I suppose

Edited by Stark
  • Upvote 2

Alas, my desire to rest betrays me again.

...any chance I could show up again as one of the Undead?

Voicing your opinions with tact is the best way to keep a discussion from becoming an argument.
So far as I'm aware, it's pronounced like this: We're ee ah moo.

Check out my Creations:

Epics

G1 Battle for Spherus Magna - G2 A Lingering Shadow

Short Stories

G1 Fallen Guardian - G2 Shadows of Past and Future (The Legend Continues Entry) Head of Stone, Heart of Jungle

MOCs

Mask Hoarder, Desert Scourge

*Makes a note* Never sleep in thine enemies bed.

Before I decide Voltex, I'd like to know what exactly our supplies are? I imagine we simply have food and water, maybe some rope but nothing that could reasonably succeed in taking down a tunnel?

I mean in all reality, the time that would be spent trying to bring down the tunnel, even if we had some form of explosive in our supplies, would not be worth it. If we have to figure out a way, that is time spent formulating a plan to do so, and then enacting said plan. It's just not worth the time in such dangerous territory. Not to mention an explosion or rumble of any kind would alert the rest of the city to our location, assuming of course skull basher doesn't share telepathy with all the undead. 

And while going to mask maker's forge is dangerous, If we are smart and do not bumble in like fools, it could be doable. Also finding the mask maker's forge will not be that difficult, as it is literally atop a hill and stands out like a sore thumb.

Even not knowing what supplies are available, and operating under the assumption of what supplies we could have, I am going to head down route B, with full confidence in my abilities and decision.

Edited by Vox

u9et1dt.gif

Banner made by Onaku

BZPRPG CHARACTERS

Syvra-Tivanu

If you interact with one of my characters and I don't respond or acknowledge the interaction within a day, send me a PM. Odds are I missed or did not see the post.

*Makes a note* Never sleep in thine enemies bed.

Before I decide Voltex, I'd like to know what exactly our supplies are? I imagine we simply have food and water, maybe some rope but nothing that could reasonably succeed in taking down a tunnel?

I mean in all reality, the time that would be spent trying to bring down the tunnel, even if we had some form of explosive in our supplies, would not be worth it. If we have to figure out a way, that is time spent formulating a plan to do so, and then enacting said plan. It's just not worth the time in such dangerous territory. Not to mention an explosion or rumble of any kind would alert the rest of the city to our location, assuming of course skull basher doesn't share telepathy with all the undead. 

And while going to mask maker's forge is dangerous, If we are smart and do not bumble in like fools, it could be doable.

Even not knowing what supplies are available, and operating under the assumption of what supplies we could have, I am going to head down route B, with full confidence in my abilities and decision.

Whatever path you choose, assume that by magic, you automatically have any and all tools necessary to succeed in that path if it is the correct choice.

For instance, in this particular case - collapsing a tunnel could mean you just find the equipment, or maybe there's a spontaneous earthquake, or maybe I take artistic liberty in how the scene ends up playing out some other way.

Likewise, for the Forge, maybe you do find a Mask of Power and escape, or maybe it just means that the other path collapses and would have buried you alive, or maybe I take artistic liberty and make the path hold a clue telling you where to go next, even if the game itself from your perspective is entirely linear anyway.

• Upvote 5

Everyone was saying not to lose earlier.

Welp, I lost. Sorry.  :crying:

Regardless, I wish everyone left in the game good luck. 

Split up 100% full proof plan.

I second this.

Edited by Toa Smoke Monster
  • Upvote 2

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

Goodness, I'm kinda stumped on this one... Option A, strategically it would probably be less risky for the overall game?
Let's see - if we both took the same and right path, 2 players lost in round 1 can be retrieved (according to the 1st post, anyway), making it 4 players overall. Otherwise, there'd be 2 players, but these for certain, whereas for the other path there's a 50/50 chance of losing.
okay, so. Last time the option contained

[...] though your exhaustion could prove either cumbersome or fatal later on.

which makes me wonder which of the two is more exhausting - bringing down a tunnel or getting to the forge? Option B seems more practical, and *might* win us time, or not, depending how far it is through the city. Also, collapsing tunnels is dangerous. Yet in the past the riskier path was usually the better decision. Idk. :notsure:

As of now I'll just put option A out as a choice just in case the time limit passes up while I am doing something else or asleep or whatever, time zones are weird. :/ (also, better die due to wrong decisions rather than inactivity. or maybe survive, even.)

May need some time to overthink things, tho.

20210512_strollin_banner.jpg

My art collection topic - updated! (21/09/2021)

Choices noted!

Also, forget that whole "one revival per player" thing from the first post, because I did and promised everyone who died Round 1 that they'd be back in the game and so they will be.

Half of them are going to immediately pick the wrong path anyway, so it's not like it really matters. :P

If either of you decides to change your choice before I post the scene, you can.

• Upvote 2

EPISODE 05: Reuniting

Somehow, they made it past the Skull Basher – but by that point Voltex was in a delirious haze, and as they came to a split in the path, he wordlessly sank to the floor as Vox and Taka Nuvia began to argue about which path they should take.

“We must go up!” Vox was insisting, pointing to the path on the right. “The forges must be up there – perhaps we can find a Mask of Power.”

Taka Nuvia scoffed. “You think that whatever was powerful enough to twist Makuta’s mind into mush would have missed any Masks of Power lying around?”

Vox scowled. “It is better than your idea! Lead the Skull Basher into a trap, indeed! That’s working out well so far!”

The Mask Maker, from where his face was pressed into the refreshingly cold dirt, heard Taka Nuvia sigh as her tone became pleading. “Please, Vox. Even if we cannot trap it or ambush it, we can still outrun it! Whatever force started the Long Night, it is too intelligent! The Ancient City was the first place it conquered – the home of those with the power to destroy it! That was not some unfortunate coincidence; it was an act of intelligence!”

But Vox was beyond listening, and without another word, he stormed off down the right hand path. Taka Nuvia stood there gaping after him in silence for a long moment before Voltex finally managed a weak cough, drawing her attention.

“Oh my gosh, I am so sorry,” she whispered frantically, diving down to help him back to his feet. “I forgot all about you! Oh goodness, what are we going to do?”

“We…” Voltex paused, coughing again and grimacing as a handful of dirt flew out, “we leave him to his fate. You are correct, of course… the Skull Army taking this city… it was… deliberate. Removing Ekimu from his refuge… his seat of power… his forge. Anything that could have helped us here is long gone.”

“Aside from our friends?” she asked hopefully. “They are still here, right?”

“They should be… though we will draw the Skull Grinder’s attention by freeing them.” Voltex shook his head, gathering his strength. “We go left. Once they are freed, we flee the city – and, if we can, bring the roof down so that they cannot follow us.”

-

It took them an hour to find the cell that the others had been tossed into, but it was unguarded – a momentarily fortunate circumstance, if one that also spelled trouble on the horizon.

Luroka, Roman, TL, Unit, Hellyam, FF, Underscore, Trijhak, and Jed all appeared to be as healthy as they could be under the current circumstances – they were, at any rate, doing marginally better than both Taka Nuvia and Voltex.

“So what did we miss?” Roman asked.

“Everyone else is gone,” Taka Nuvia said, unlocking FF’s shackles. “Or so we’re assuming.”

“Assuming?” Unit asked.

“Vox ran off as we entered the city,” Taka Nuvia replied, ticking out fingers as she began counting off the departed crew members. “ShadowVezon, Smoke Monster, and Wiriamu stayed in Vakama City and were supposed to meet up with us, but never did. Ehksidian, ToaD, Oko, and Ghrinch all died trying to travel here via the Eastern Wall… and we lost Dragonstar in the jungle almost immediately after we began.”

Luroka whistled. “Ouch.”

“Sucks to be them,” Jed muttered.

“Do not grow complacent,” Voltex warned. “Our journey has yet to reach its midpoint, and our company remains so numerous only through sheer luck. The team has foolishly split itself in half at every single major decision that we have come across, and if it continues, we will all perish before we can get the Mask of Control back to Ekimu. There are only ten of you now, and I cannot succeed in this task on my own. We must think our way through any challenges that are presented to us.”

He was about to continue his rant, but was interrupted by Hellyam tapping him on the shoulder. “Uh… Voltex? Sir?”

“What?” he asked, turning around.

He froze in place, met by the sight of the Skull Basher looming over them.

“That’s a problem,” Luroka said, as helpful as always.

“What do we do?” Taka Nuvia asked.

To his credit (?), Voltex didn’t even hesitate. “Run!”

The Mask Maker took off, using his staff to propel himself even faster; the Jungle Protectors all shared a brief stunned glance before hurrying after him as the ground began to shake beneath them.

“What’s happening?” TL yelled.

“Our presence in the city has been recognized!” Voltex called back. “The Skull Grinder approaches – and I doubt they are pleased that we are escaping!”

A look of confusion spread across TL’s face before he was shoved forward by Trijhak.

“Don’t stop, you idiot!” he hissed.

The Skull Basher was mere steps away as the ceiling began to collapse; the Protectors and lone Mask Maker sprinted as fast as they could, ignoring the screaming of their muscles as they fought to outpace time itself and escape the bowels of the Ancient City.

As they approached the tunnel leading out of the city, Trijhak glanced back – just in time to witness the ceiling collapsing on top of the Skull Basher, both burying and crushing it. He let out a whoop of joy before returning his full attention to escaping the city.

-

Once they exited the tunnel, Voltex immediately collapsed, focusing his energies on protecting the crew from the raging storm. Taka Nuvia and Unit caught him before he could hit the ground.

“What’s wrong with him?” Roman asked.

“He’s protecting us from the dark energies of the storm,” Taka Nuvia said, looking worried. “Which is… a problem.”

“Why?” asked TL.

“Because it means we all need to stick together,” Trijhak replied. “We can’t split up, or else we’re done for regardless of the choice we make. We’re gonna have to decide our fates altogether… somehow.”

“Well it should be obvious,” Luroka replied, pointing directly ahead. “Those two signs are clear enough options.”

“Those signs are literally pointing east and west,” Roman muttered, shaking his head. “How is that of any help?”

“The Water Region lies to the east,” Jed responded. “That’s where we were all headed originally and where Voltex came from, right? It might not be safe, but it’s as close to it as we might get.”

“Yeah, but the Stone Region is to the west, and that’s where we’ve been trying to go this whole time,” Hellyam said, frowning. “Shouldn’t we go there?”

Voltex, having been dropped and now once more lying with his face pressed into the refreshingly cold dirt, opened his mouth to reply – only to weakly cough out sand as it spilled into his mouth, and quickly deciding that remaining silent would be best for now.

-

The following members are now out:

-Voxumo

The following members are still alive, and must decide on a path to take:

-Taka Nuvia, Luroka, Roman, TL, Unit, Hellyam, FF, Underscore, Trijhak, and Jed

-

OPTION A: Go east, to the Water Region.

OPTION B: Go west, to the Stone Region.

You must all make the same choice – and, failing that, majority rules.

Have fun!

• Upvote 5

Hmm... You know I was fairly confident in my choice.... oh well survived longer than I expected and longer than most, except Taka Nuvia, without making the wrong choice. I consider that a personal win.

Though I do have to ponder if I am technically dead. In prior scenes it was made clear the fate of those who chose the wrong path, whether it be dead in their sleep or captured, though here it is oddly left out as to my exact fate other than "I ran off". Hmm.

Edited by Vox

u9et1dt.gif

Banner made by Onaku

BZPRPG CHARACTERS

Syvra-Tivanu

If you interact with one of my characters and I don't respond or acknowledge the interaction within a day, send me a PM. Odds are I missed or did not see the post.

As for what path we should take, I'm actually listing towards the Water Region. The Long Night began in the Stone Region, after all, and while that part of Okoto is where our quest must end, should we really be fleeing directly into the birthplace of the Skull army so soon after escaping the ancient city? The Water Region has water, after all, which means we stand a better chance of finding food and shelter and supplies.

That, and the Water Region is where Ekimu is. He'd probably be willing to help us out, since we're on this quest on his behalf. 

Edited by Roman Torchwick

Ghosts Of Bara Magna - Ash Tribe - Precipere - Kehla, Somok, Skrall, Gayle, Avinus, Zha'ar

What made you think the Mask Maker's Forge, the only one like it, would be unguarded? Along with it being on top of a hill and sticking out like a sore thumb, like you said, alerting your presence to the Skulls for miles around...?

Now, onto the choice...

On one hand, Ekimu, Kumo, and anyone with them is in the Water Region. On that same hand, they are likely dealing with the Skulls themselves from all sides - the Jungle Region borders it, as does the Ancient City. Who knows what's coming from the Ice Region, too?

On the other hand, the Stone Region has the Mask of Control. It's a mostly flat region, too - easier to navigate than the other regions, but that also means it's easier for the Skulls to find us. But... Makuta might still be alive and still wearing that Mask of Control.

Our goal is to get the Mask of Control and give it to Ekimu. We may spell Ekimu's doom if we go to him now without the Mask, when we know the Skulls basically surround the Water Region and are likely already in it and searching for him. We may even end up leading them straight to him, and then we'll all die. Jed said it might be safe, and as we saw in the Jungle... we should not gamble our lives on a 'might'. The chances of failure are already too high. It might be safe? It might not be safe. 

But.. we may not endure the Stone Region, either. We may need to be as strong as stone itself. 

I would choose Option B. If we abandon our goal now, we may doom all of Okoto. Once we have that Mask... the return journey, hopefully, becomes slightly safer. But whoever ends up wearing it needs to be protected at all costs.

Let's not leave our mission unfinished. 

edit: Only two people have made a choice and it's already at a tie. We don't want a tie because then we definitely lose. 

Edited by Trijhak

On Bota Magna, everything is about to fall apart.

We've got five episodes to finish this.

Is taking an episode to rest and recover in an area we know is comparatively safe such a bad idea? 

I said comparatively safe.

We know Ekimu is in the Water Region. We know he wants us to bring the mask to him once we get our hands on it. With that information in mind, we can surmise that Ekimu is confident he can keep the mask secure there. (And for those of us who played Season 1, we also know Ekimu had roughly 100 protectors with him, out of the approximate 1000 who survived the Long Night).

Therefore, it's reasonable to consider the Water Region to be safer than most of the rest of the island. 

• Upvote 1

If you choose the wrong choice this round you all die, and the game ends.

So you really only have one round to win this, before you can actually win it.

In the case of a tie, you'd better be praying to Rollor.

(Taka Nuvia appears to have clued in to how this game is operating).

What made you think the Mask Maker's Forge, the only one like it, would be unguarded? Along with it being on top of a hill and sticking out like a sore thumb, like you said, alerting your presence to the Skulls for miles around...?

We don't know if it is guarded or not. Secondly I was acting under the assumption that the "trap" would be enacted before rescuing ya'll. If I had known it would have taken place on our way out... Well I likely would not have made the choice i did. Also don't judge me mister "I'm gonna wander into the jungle full of unknown dangers" :P

Edited by Vox

u9et1dt.gif

Banner made by Onaku

BZPRPG CHARACTERS

Syvra-Tivanu

If I were alive, I would've pick option B. But I'm dead, so all I can do is ramble on as a non-canon ghost. :P

Regardless, I wish good luck to all the remaining players. Hopefully the right choice is made and the slaughter that a Mafia game can only dream of is avoided. :P

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

Oh no, group decisions. I'm more inclined towards Option B, the Stone region, now that I finally found the descriptions of the regions in the scene and what we could possibly want there (first time I checked the topic was right after getting up in the morning, so... wasn't really concentrated ^^")

... idk.

20210512_strollin_banner.jpg

My art collection topic - updated! (21/09/2021)

I'd also strongly suggest option B. By going immediately to the water region, you basically risk bringing the undead directly to ekimu, and all that progress made starting from the jungle region is basically moot, as you are basically starting from square 1 with less people. Remember the water region is right next to the jungle region. Do you really think you will get the chance to get close to the ancient city again, to skip the jungle and fire regions? The undead are gonna be on high alert.

Furthermore, those who would say "well the water region gives us time to rest up" what have all of you been doing while imprisoned?

Edited by Vox

u9et1dt.gif

Banner made by Onaku

BZPRPG CHARACTERS

Syvra-Tivanu

I'd also strongly suggest option B. By going immediately to the water region, you basically risk bringing the undead directly to ekimu, and all that progress made starting from the jungle region is basically moot, as you are basically starting from square 1 with less people. Remember the water region is right next to the jungle region. Do you really think you will get the chance to get close to the ancient city again, to skip the jungle and fire regions? The undead are gonna be on high alert.

Furthermore, those who would say "well the water region gives us time to rest up" what have all of you been doing while imprisoned?

Precisely!

But, Makuta City is also in the Stone Region. That's where all of this started. And, if the Ancient City had skulls, Makuta City will have the skulls crawling about it too. 

Now I'm torn between the Stone Region and Water Region. 

• Upvote 1

On Bota Magna, everything is about to fall apart.

No matter where you go, you are going to have to go to the stone region eventually and retrieve the mask, as that is your entire mission. What do you gain from going to the water region besides wasting time and potentially losing your quickest route.

u9et1dt.gif

Banner made by Onaku

BZPRPG CHARACTERS

Syvra-Tivanu

Well, hope that the Water Region is the right option since it seems to be winning. Of course the most I can hope for is to appear as part of the Skull Army to menace you guys at some point.

Voicing your opinions with tact is the best way to keep a discussion from becoming an argument.
So far as I'm aware, it's pronounced like this: We're ee ah moo.

Check out my Creations:

Epics

G1 Battle for Spherus Magna - G2 A Lingering Shadow

Short Stories

G1 Fallen Guardian - G2 Shadows of Past and Future (The Legend Continues Entry) Head of Stone, Heart of Jungle

MOCs

Mask Hoarder, Desert Scourge

If I were alive, I would've pick option B. But I'm dead, so all I can do is ramble on as a non-canon ghost. :P

Regardless, I wish good luck to all the remaining players. Hopefully the right choice is made and the slaughter that a Mafia game can only dream of is avoided. :P

You're a ghost, I'm just simply not even in existence at this point in time because I didn't get into the signups. =p

But yeah I do agree, the Stone Region seems like the correct choice here.

hopefully all of you live through this.

• Upvote 1

-Rahkshi Guurahk
GENERATION 3: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
If I actually tried putting all the stuff I like on here, the sig would burst.

d1O9dXQ.png

(This banner is created by http://www.bzpower.com/board/user/59020-onaku/ )