Official My Little Pony topic

~Allegretto~

Just finished watching Applebuck season. Two comments: Are all the males in that show that slow? And I thought Applejack's element was honesty, not loyalty. Now, here's something to keep you all thinking: Equestria, while appearing to be a utopian land of ponies and candy, is actually a dystopian society where only ponies are granted rights and citizenship, while other creatures as sapient as they are such as cattle are second-class citizens, if at all. Even within the ponies, there is a rigid caste system that determines their place in society. Nightmare Moon was actually a freedom fighter before being cast down by Celestia, who seeks only to preserve her own power

Your talk about the structure of the society forces me to think of Thundercat/MLP crossovers. ThunderPonys HOOOOO!

After watching a whole bunch of episodes yesterday, I think I've finally formed a coherent opinion of this show. It'd be a stretch to call me a "fan" (at least to the extent that you guys are), but it is certainly very good as far as kids' shows go. It's cute, funny, clever, and has a strong moral centre- essentially, everything a good kids' cartoon should be. I can definitely understand why people like it. There's nothing that completely "blew me away" about it, but then, I think that a lot of the surprised reactions have been the result of finding out that a "girls' show" can be genuinely entertaining. I wasn't surprised because this is something I've been trying to convince people for a long time! I just haven't had any proof until now. So, I guess you could say that while I like - but not love- the show itself, I really appreciate the positive reaction people have had to it. I love the fact that it exists. Hopefully, it will spawn a number of imitators to help enforce the idea that something targeted at girls doesn't have to be insipid and dumbed-down, and maybe, just maybe, eventually overhaul the idea that girly=lame. I constantly hear arguments that little boys aren't interested in things they percieve as "girly", but I think that may have something to do with the quality of media aimed at girls. That said, there is still an overwhelming amount of hatred towards this show, even on BZP. Worse still, the mods don't seem to be doing much about it. It's funny how the sexist nature of this issue is almost never brought up. I mean, if someone was telling me I shouldn't like Bionicle because I'm female, I think the mods would come down on them like a ton of bricks. Sexism against males- especially when done by other males- is almost never discussed in our society. Which of course enforces another double standard- that women need to be protected from this stuff, while men should be able to just shrug it off. But even though I haven't experienced outright sexism directed at me personally, the responses to a recent topic of mine revealed that there is a lot of negative sentiment towards the idea of Bionicle appealing to more girls, and to having more girls in the fandom. Make of that what you will. So, while the show hasn't made me want to change my username, put ponies in my sig and avatar, write fanfics, or spend hours discussing who the best pony is, it does make me want to start throwing together ideas for more shows that incorporate interesting female characters and intelligent, funny storylines. (I recently biught a copy of Adobe Flash- the program used to animate MLP- so I may even be able to put together a fake trailer for one of them.) Oh, and for those people who were concerned that liking MLP deters the ladies? I wouldn't worry about that. At least, not if she's the right kind of girl. Then again, what would a Bionicle fangirl like me know?

3DS Friend Code: 0018-0767-4231

That said, there is still an overwhelming amount of hatred towards this show, even on BZP. Worse still, the mods don't seem to be doing much about it. It's funny how the sexist nature of this issue is almost never brought up. I mean, if someone was telling me I shouldn't like Bionicle because I'm female, I think the mods would come down on them like a ton of bricks.

I find this statement to be mostly unfounded. Please let me know where I am / we are failing to keep the peace. This topic has been remarkably civil, if not frighteningly prosperous. Edited by Makaru
I think I killed the topic, I'm so sorry...

20383310448_7d514f8ffa.jpg

Spoiler Alert

That said, there is still an overwhelming amount of hatred towards this show, even on BZP. Worse still, the mods don't seem to be doing much about it. It's funny how the sexist nature of this issue is almost never brought up. I mean, if someone was telling me I shouldn't like Bionicle because I'm female, I think the mods would come down on them like a ton of bricks.

I find this statement to be mostly unfounded. Please let me know where I am / we are failing to keep the peace.
It's not in this forum, so not a deficiency on your part. In GD, however, one member was endlessly bashing the bronies, even declaring "war" at one point. i reported him several times, but the only response was a few vague "let's all play nice" type posts from the mods. I could be wrong; they may have done something else behind the scenes, but it doesn't seem to have had much effect- his posts haven't been edited, his sig is still anti-brony, and he hasn't lost any proto. Then again, he hasn't posted in there in the last 24 hours or so, so perhaps something has happened that I'm not aware of.

That said, there is still an overwhelming amount of hatred towards this show, even on BZP.Worse still, the mods don't seem to be doing much about it. It's funny how the sexist nature of this issue is almost never brought up. I mean, if someone was telling me I shouldn't like Bionicle because I'm female, I think the mods would come down on them like a ton of bricks.

I find this statement to be mostly unfounded. Please let me know where I am / we are failing to keep the peace. This topic has been remarkably civil, if not frighteningly prosperous.
It's not you. But it seemed as if most the mods took the anti brony side.

I don't get all the hype about it. Could someone please explain why everyone seems to be obsessed with a show about ponies?(Then again I haven't seen any episodes yet.)

• [*]It's awesome[*]It's awesome[*]It's awesome[*]It's awesome[*]It's awesome[*]It's awesome[*]The animation is fantastic

G A Y   A S   H E C K

I leave the forums for a few months, and when I come back it's infested with bronies. Huh. Anyway, I can't believe how seriously people on all sides of this fad take things. It's a silly show about ponies. It's admittedly well written, but still... why so serious? Just love and tolerate, bronies and pegasisters.

zolfbanner.jpg

So take my hand, Now you'll never be lonely, Not when I'm home, sweet home

I see your star, you left it burning for me

Mother, I'm here

Well, HurcuLesss, I can't speak for everyone else, but I personally find the show quite entertaining. ^^The characters (aside from Rainbow Dash) seem very well developed in personality, the situations they are put in as a group are simple, yet interesting and the shows methods of storytelling are remarkable, the show utilizes its settings and characters well, the jokes are funny, the voice acting is spot-on and the animation is smooth. I wouldn't be watching it if it were just any ordinary show. It fits my tastes and so I'll continue to watch it. Lauren Faust has done a great job on this show. ^^

Executive Vice President of Tomato Throwing

I don't get all the hype about it. Could someone please explain why everyone seems to be obsessed with a show about ponies?(Then again I haven't seen any episodes yet.)

• [*]It's awesome[*]It's awesome[*]It's awesome[*]It's awesome[*]It's awesome[*]It's awesome[*]The animation is fantastic

So much win.

Well, HurcuLesss, I can't speak for everyone else, but I personally find the show quite entertaining. ^^The characters (aside from Rainbow Dash) seem very well developed in personality, the situations they are put in as a group are simple, yet interesting and the shows methods of storytelling are remarkable, the show utilizes its settings and characters well, the jokes are funny, the voice acting is spot-on and the animation is smooth. I wouldn't be watching it if it were just any ordinary show. It fits my tastes and so I'll continue to watch it. Lauren Faust has done a great job on this show. ^^

What's wrong with Dash? She's strong-willed on the outside, 20% cooler than the rest of the cast, and has a high tolerance to incredible amounts of pain.... I was talking about how she always crashes and breaks her wings. Edited by --Calamity--
19704_s.gif

I couldn't have said it better myself. It nice to see a good ol' fashioned cartoon show, complete with female characters, life lessons, and some clean humor. Plus, who hasn't wanted a pony for Christmas? :P
rarity-with-wings.jpgrarity-heart.png <<Newest Chibi: Nuparu Inika

The things most people cite for MLP's success with males is the animation style and voice acting, and the depth of the characters and storyline. Personally, I think what initially draws us to it is its how much it goes against stereotypical male culture we are indoctrinated to adhere to, and what keeps us there is how awesome it actually is.

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

The things most people cite for MLP's success with males is the animation style and voice acting, and the depth of the characters and storyline. Personally, I think what initially draws us to it is its how much it goes against stereotypical male culture we are indoctrinated to adhere to, and what keeps us there is how awesome it actually is.

I've honestly never had a problem with sterotypes. So I don't really know what keeps me a fan.

Eh... She's just not my tea of cup (I have officially fallen in love with that phrase. XD). She just seems like some boasting, self-absorbed character to me... I mean, her element is loyalty, but I really don't see too much of that side of her outside of the two new episodes per season so far. I mean, if she had an episode that expanded on that trait of hers a little more, maybe I'd warm up to her, but she just seems like a thrill-seeker with no deeper thought process... =/ I mean, Rarity is a great character. She's a drama queen, she's girly, she can be snippy regarding little details (but that actually comes in handy) and yet she's also very clever despite her sophistication. Twilight is very organized and precise (to a flaw) and she's not the most social, but she's also a very wise and knowledgeable member of the group. Fluttershy is very soft spoken and reclusive, but she's also very kind and can even stand up to some of the fiercest of creatures when need be. Applejack is very proud and can be stubborn, but she's honest (and while that's not always represented in the best ways, I think it's still pulled off) she's a country girl and she's not afraid to get dirty and works to get the job done. Pinkie Pie is just amazing. She's filled with energy and rarely makes sense, but she's also supportive and accepting of every pony in Ponyville (as we learned in episode one XD), she loves to laugh and we actually know why she loves being so chipper from her childhood. She always pops up at just the right moments and can even keep her friends on their toes when need be. And then there's Rainbow Dash... who has an atomic rainbow... ... ... I've got little else to be honest... =/ Her character just isn't easy to relate to with me. I don't know why she loves being free, why she loves racing, why she's loyal... I just don't really know her character at all because there's really been no great opportunities to get to see her really shine (other than the episode where her old friend comes to visit, but that episode centered more around Pinkie Pie). Edit: Master Inika, that's a good point. Lauren Faust actually made it a point to make better things for girls. She saw the stereotype that "If it's for girls, it is therefore bad" and that's something she wants to avoid in her work. I'd say this show has been pretty successful with that so far.

Edited by Tekulo: Toa of Wind

Eh... She's just not my tea of cup (I have officially fallen in love with that phrase. XD). She just seems like some boasting, self-absorbed character to me... I mean, her element is loyalty, but I really don't see too much of that side of her outside of the two new episodes per season so far. I mean, if she had an episode that expanded on that trait of hers a little more, maybe I'd warm up to her, but she just seems like a thrill-seeker with no deeper thought process... =/ I mean, Rarity is a great character. She's a drama queen, she's girly, she can be snippy regarding little details (but that actually comes in handy) and yet she's also very clever despite her sophistication. Twilight is very organized and precise (to a flaw) and she's not the most social, but she's also a very wise and knowledgeable member of the group. Fluttershy is very soft spoken and reclusive, but she's also very kind and can even stand up to some of the fiercest of creatures when need be. Applejack is very proud and can be stubborn, but she's honest (and while that's not always represented in the best ways, I think it's still pulled off) she's a country girl and she's not afraid to get dirty and works to get the job done. Pinkie Pie is just amazing. She's filled with energy and rarely makes sense, but she's also supportive and accepting of every pony in Ponyville (as we learned in episode one XD), she loves to laugh and we actually know why she loves being so chipper from her childhood. She always pops up at just the right moments and can even keep her friends on their toes when need be. And then there's Rainbow Dash... who has an atomic rainbow... ... ... I've got little else to be honest... =/ Her character just isn't easy to relate to with me. I don't know why she loves being free, why she loves racing, why she's loyal... I just don't really know her character at all because there's really been no great opportunities to get to see her really shine (other than the episode where her old friend comes to visit, but that episode centered more around Pinkie Pie). Edit: Master Inika, that's a good point. Lauren Faust actually made it a point to make better things for girls. She saw the stereotype that "If it's for girls, it is therefore bad" and that's something she wants to avoid in her work. I'd say this show has been pretty successful with that so far.

On the outside, she's self-absorbed, but on the inside, she's pretty insecure. Did you see her during the Best Young Fliers Competition? That was not cockiness right there.
19704_s.gif

I think that Rainbow Dash is very loyal. In the episode with Gilda, it's shown she is capable of longtime friendships (albeit not always with the right people). And, in the episode's end, we learn she has matured to recognize Gilda's unpleasantness and stood by Pinkie Pie and the others. I think she's comparable to Matau: thrill-seeking and sometimes short-sighted, but a true friend overall.

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

@ Calamity: True, she did show insecurity. But that seemed more just like pre-stage gitters (something that's more or less normal to anyone). Still, I don't know why she's insecure in the first place so I really can't relate. =/ @ Master Inika: Oh, I don't doubt she's loyal, and that was the episode I was talking about. Still the episode was centered around Pinkie Pie and that was really the only window of Rainbow Dash we got to see. Now, if there were an episode about Rainbow Dash and if they elaborated on a few things some more, then I might be interested. And I don't really see it as her maturing, but more as she's seen Gilda for what she has become. It couldn't have been easy for Rainbow to turn her back on Gilda, but we don't see too much remorse from her. There wasn't too much conflict with who she should be loyal to; Gilda or Pinkie and that I would have found more interesting than having Rainbow immediately choose Pinkie. She really isn't easy for me to relate to... at all... =/

I don't get all the hype about it. Could someone please explain what's so great about it?

In my opinion, My Little Pony is the example when you take good writers/animators and a once absurd subject and when you put them together, you get an extremely profound piece of television. It shows that not all girly things can't be just for girls. It's witty and funny and downright D'AAAWWWWWful. And Pinkie Pie is best pony. Anyway, has anyone played the Luna Game yet? Its about you playing Luna in a Super Mario Bros-like setting, then after awhile a picture of Apple Bloom pops out and scares you half to death while it plays very haunting music. You can't get out of it unless you do Ctrl-Alt-Delete.

I don't get all the hype about it. Could someone please explain what's so great about it?

In my opinion, My Little Pony is the example when you take good writers/animators and a once absurd subject and when you put them together, you get an extremely profound piece of television. It shows that not all girly things can't be just for girls. It's witty and funny and downright D'AAAWWWWWful. And Pinkie Pie is best pony. Anyway, has anyone played the Luna Game yet? Its about you playing Luna in a Super Mario Bros-like setting, then after awhile a picture of Apple Bloom pops out and scares you half to death while it plays very haunting music. You can't get out of it unless you do Ctrl-Alt-Delete.
Seen a video for the second one. Got to the first Zalgo pic and stopped watching. I don't really care for horror. Edited by --Calamity--
19704_s.gif

She just straight up murdered a bear.

It requires context to fully understand what she was doing and why she did it (It's from the episode "Lesson Zero"if you want to find out). However, I think that little gif will help people understand that this show ain't all sugar and sparkles.