The Official Minecraft Topic

WinRAR continues working even if you don't actually buy it. There is no way 'technically absolutely free' is too much for your budget.

I've been using winrar for over a year now and I haven't bought it.

All you have to do is hit close when the little 30 day trial window shows up. I personally like it a lot better then 7zip.

-------------------------

I...did not know that. :blush:

Can WinRAR unzip .7z files, though? I don't think it can. If not, I'll have to go 7zip anyway since I already have some stuff saved as .7z that I want to open.

-----------------------

That it cannot do. It is the only reason why I haven't deleted 7zip from my computer yet. I would recommend just using both. 7zip if you need to open a .7z file, and winRAR for everything else.

Edited by Portalfig

In Technic news, I have been experimenting somewhat in creative, and have come up with a non-structural defensive curtain wall - high-voltage solar arrays powering 5-block stretches of exposed gold cable. Kills anything that comes close. Once you get past that (I, admittedly, haven't figured out how to do so yet), you get the fun of an actual wall with Tesla Coils every five blocks. Much electric death to be had for anything that walks, crawls or flies.

We will remember - Skies may fade and stars may wane; we won't forget

And your light shines bright - yes so much brighter shine on

We will remember - Until the skies will fall we won't forget

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

In Technic news, I have been experimenting somewhat in creative, and have come up with a non-structural defensive curtain wall - high-voltage solar arrays powering 5-block stretches of exposed gold cable. Kills anything that comes close. Once you get past that (I, admittedly, haven't figured out how to do so yet), you get the fun of an actual wall with Tesla Coils every five blocks. Much electric death to be had for anything that walks, crawls or flies.

I'd ask if it would be easier to just use a forcefield with a zapper upgrade, but that's not over complicated enough to be Technic'y really.

Though it would be hilarious to use the camouflage upgrade as well and create this impenetrable, invisible wall of pain for creepers to run into.

Then place the invisible wall behind the telsa coil wall for maximum "fun".

Well, the Tesla wall is kind of a physically solid wall, five meters thick to allow people inside of the hypothetical base to walk near the inner side of the wall without killing themselves, so putting more death behind that wall might be counter-productive. I will consider using camouflaged zappers to up the killy-ness of the whole thing.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

killy-ness

Somebody get this in the dictionary. Now.

Back on topic, I've been playing on the Project Ares servers a lot lately...thanks to Unit for telling me about them RIGHT BEFORE FINALS @_@

Generation reeeeeeeeeeeee: If you see this, don't copy it into your signature. Get off your computer. Go outside! Go for a walk! Appreciate the beauty of the world while you're young and energetic and full of unwarranted enthusiasm. 

Ddude, you must tell me about this...

In other news, FtB is awesome. Because BEES. :P I actually haven't gotten to the point where I can actually mess much with them, but I can't wait until I can!

However, like I did in Tekkit, I have a tendency to forget what I'm doing and get lost on tangents, SO:

Current To-do list: Bees

*Construct a Squeezer

*Construct additional pylons redstone engines to power Squeezer

*Obtain Seed Oil from Squeezer

*Construct Imp. Casing

*Construct Apiary

Current To-do list: Nether

*Construct safe cobble stairway to sea level in Nether

*Locate a Nether Fortress

*Obtain Blaze Rods

*Construct Blast Furnace

Me: *has idea*

Blade: "I'd say too convoluted, and I know too convoluted =P"

"Dangit, I shouldn't have gotten ambitious."

--Merc, RE: our plotting

Pokémon Rise of the Rockets Profiles: LINK

3DS FC: 3625-9584-9417 (Pokemon X Friend Safari: Electric-type, Pachirisu, Electabuzz, Zebstrika)

He told me about them, but despite his claims that they don't lag, I can barely do anything on the servers. xD I have a feeling that's just me, though, since I can barely run Minecraft, and though Optifine helps, it doesn't help when there's easily 100 players on in about one spot. =P Especially when tons of TNT is involved. =P

I haven't been on minecraft much recently but I plan to install the Alien Vs Predator mod, as a friend who plays on my account whenever he's over is a huge fan of Alien and so am I and we just want to muck around with the whole thing, that and I want to add them to the big death battle in the end to make it more interesting.

I'm just ToaD

Anyone know how to make Silicon cells? I need two for solar panels because apparently theres a mod that makes industrialcraft recipes "harder" (aka tedious).

CrazyFace-Copy.jpg

Even when trapped by Karma's cycle, the dreams we left behind will open the door! Even if the universe stands in our way,

our seething blood will determine what will be! We'll break through time and space, and defy all who would stop us to take hold of our path!

~

Silicon cells? You mean silicon wafers? Those are only part of RedPower, and RedPower solar panels only power machines that suck.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

No, I mean actual Silicon Cells. Apparently they can only be made by using stuff in a centrifuge with empty cells...which means I'm going to need a metric ton of EU so I can start producing smaller amounts of EU.Gregtech, I hate you for doing this to industrialcrafts solar panels...

CrazyFace-Copy.jpg

Even when trapped by Karma's cycle, the dreams we left behind will open the door! Even if the universe stands in our way,

our seething blood will determine what will be! We'll break through time and space, and defy all who would stop us to take hold of our path!

~

Huh. The Technic Pack Wiki says absolutely nothing about Silicon cells. I'm going to go ahead and spend exactly no time worrying about this.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

ARGHbetrrterwidfwhohl...!

Forestry: WORST. MACHINES. EVER. SERIOUSLY.

So I found out today that Electric Engines (the only way to convert EU into MJ) are absolutely worthless. Why? Because its max output is 2 MJ. That's exactly enough to run a single Forestry machine. So, I figure, I make the highest tier conductive pipe, hook it up to the engine and my three machines, and then when I turn on the engine I can run one machine at a time, simple enough, right?

LOLNOPE.

One block. ONE BLOCK loses 0.01 MJ. Making it IMPOSSIBLE to run my machines unless I manually break them down and plop them in front of the engine. GRR.

So I cope, I go look up the upgrades I can use on the engine to make it output additional MJ. I spend precious resources (mind you, I'm running REALLY low on tin and glass, since all the sand in my area is a pain to collect) making bronze electron tubes to upgrade the electrical engine.

THE UPGRADES DO NOTHING. I have literally spent four hours trying to troubleshoot this FOR NOTHING.

At this point I rage, turn on NEI cheat mode, and gift myself a stack of glass and tin ore for my trouble, and go on about my business.

Once I calmed down, I wasted a bunch more time getting what I needed to make my own apiary since my nearest village has zero beekeepers, but hey, now I have an apiary. OH WAIT. I need to have a safe, open area that can see the sky so I can put these down without risk of them blowing up. I walk outside--in the middle of the day, mind you--BOOM, creeper. I rage--at least I didn't die, though. I set my turtle to work excavating, and suddenly IT decides to give me trouble about excavating out the area I want it to. I finally get it working right, and decide to go walking around to try and find new biomes. I go out, find a couple more beehives, and get excited--I finally have enough honeycomb to build an apiarist's chest for my bees! I go back--EXCAVATION HALTED. Apparently turtles don't like you going out of render distance. So, I FINALLY finish clearing out the area, decide to take a break from building and realize I have the resources to make a combine. I build it, plop it down--OH WAIT, NO POWER. -_-

I'm officially done with Forestry machines unless I absolutely HAVE to use them. Yes I'm aware that bees are pretty much useless for anything BUT Forestry, but I consider them an achievement in and of themselves. Anyhow, MJ-powered stuff is stupid and poorly-balanced and I'm SO over it. (Unless someone can tell me an easy/better way to convert EU into MJ for EASY, CASUAL use, that is.)

3DS FC: 3625-9584-9417 (Pokemon X Friend Safari: Electric-type, Pachirisu, Electabuzz, Zebstrika)

Why not use multiple electrical engines? One per machine, or so? I'm sure there's a better way to handle it, but...Alternatively, use a combustion engine. =P *Points at the LP we've probably both been watching* The last episode had a really good idea for those.

I'm officially done with Forestry machines unless I absolutely HAVE to use them. Yes I'm aware that bees are pretty much useless for anything BUT Forestry, but I consider them an achievement in and of themselves. Anyhow, MJ-powered stuff is stupid and poorly-balanced and I'm SO over it. (Unless someone can tell me an easy/better way to convert EU into MJ for EASY, CASUAL use, that is.)

Power converters are quite good, assuming they're in FTB like they were in tekkit.

Actually I've been looking at FTB now, I think Gregtech has single handedly scared me off it. The mod itself is fine but the changes it makes to other mods annoys me to no end.

Edited by The Invisible Noob

Power converters are quite good, assuming they're in FTB like they were in tekkit.

Actually I've been looking at FTB now, I think Gregtech has single handedly scared me off it. The mod itself is fine but the changes it makes to other mods annoys me to no end.

Yeah. IC2 solar panels are tedious enough as is even with project tables. They don't need to be MORE tedious to make.

~Unit#phntk#1

Yeah, if I keep having issues with GT, I may just disable it altogether--it seems to equate "balanced" with "tedious" and "unnecessary". The one "fix" I do like is requiring steel for more of the advanced tools, but getting steel is rather tedious--but that's a problem with Railcraft, not GregTech.

Also, I looked at GregTech's official page on the IC2 site. The creator of that modification is the definition of "arrogant troll", a real "cool dude", as one might say. :P

EDIT: Does BZP have a facepalm emote? I may have a lot of need to use one.

I forgot to put a wooden conductive pipe in between the electrical engine and the gold pipes. So the gold pipes weren't actually getting power. :facepalm:

The machines seem to work now, though I DO have to use that special electron tube I mentioned.

(For the record, I had no choice but to look into this, since GregTech forces you to power the Railcraft rolling machine if you want to make Advanced Alloy. Grumble grumble GregTech...)

Edited by Flipz

Do you think that GregTech is awful enough to merit, maybe, just not getting FTB? What advantages does FTB actually have over Technic? I'm pretty sure FTB doesn't have Mo Creatures, and, well, what good is the ability to fling lightning if I don't have any werewolves to fling it at?

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

I absolutely loathe Mo Creatures, so that's an advantage in my book. :P In terms of things to fling lightning at, though, the Twilight Forest is a good source of new mobs.

In terms of what FtB has that Technic/Tekkit doesn't:

*Portal gun modification

*ExtraBiomesXL (love love LOVE! <3 )

*Twilight Forest

*Thaumcraft 3 (unless the Technic folks decide to include it despite not having permission to include it)

*and several other modifications that I haven't interacted with yet.

Basically, Technic/Tekkit is the BEGINNING stages of what you can do with FtB. ;-)

To Do List:

*Find Chicken; slay; craft Hunter's Backpack

*Enter Twilight Forest

*Return alive

*Once home, finish apiary construction.

Basically FTB is more up to date and has more mods than tekkit which is still in 1.2.5. An easy solution would be to edit Greg techs config files so it doesn't mess with other mods, or just outright disable it. This wont work very well in servers where everyone will be playing on the default settings but I think the solution there is to use every mod except IC2 until you have enough resources to afford it. Thermal expansion seems to be able to do the important starting things low tier IC2 items can.

Edited by The Invisible Noob

Well, if you can have different configs able to be swapped(Like, one with GT disabled, and one with everything enabled), then for multiplayer servers like that, the solution could be to just ignore the Gregtech recipes until you can afford it or so. Plus, with multiplayer, at least the time cost can be split over different people. Especially with auto-crafting tables allowing you to leave stuff in them.

Could you, perhaps, give a brief overview of some of the new mobs that are added?

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Ghosts which act like the Boo creature from Mario(Or in other words, like a Weeping Angel), Kobold-smurf-like-things, Gnomes that laugh at you, yet another variant of spiders, a Hydra that eats your face and is a bossThat's all that I've heard of so far, but that's partially because the LP I'm watching is only just getting into the earlier parts of the forest. =P

Is it a boss in the video game sense, the employment sense, or the this-is-the-most-awesome-thing-ever sense?

Regardless, if that modification has hydras, yeah, I'm getting it.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

One and three apply to the hydra; though I'd bet that it's employing a bunch of mini hydras elsewhere to do it's dirty work(Like gather up food and the like as bait), so I wouldn't rule out the second form of boss. =PBut yeah, it has a Hydra, which is very tough to beat, and likes adventurers as a snack. =PThe only real 'downside' is that it requires a single diamond to enter. But, well, that's made up in the 'hollow hills' it has, which can contain diamonds in the huge ones. =P

Hmm. The entry fee thing seems wonky to me. Usually in Minecraft, I substitute a few blocks of TNT for any such fee.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Well, the portal is made of dirt and mushrooms/flowers and an infinite spring of water, so there has to be something semi-expensive to it, otherwise people would be running around in the Twilight forest before they ever hit the Nether. :tongue:

It also has a giant snake boss, hedge mazes full of spiders and angry wolves with walls that damage you if you touch them (this includes trying to break them, BTW), dark forests with solid canopies that stretch for miles, giant glaciers populated by penguins, glowing fireflies you can capture and place on walls for light, deer, birds, ravens, boars, fire swamps with fire geysers that shoot fire out of the ground at random intervals (like the Fire Swamp in The Princess Bride), and, last but certainly not least, "Uncrafting Benches" that allow you to break apart crafted items into their component parts (though if the item is a damaged tool or armor, you won't get ALL of the resources back). It also allows you to repair tools and armor with just the component elements, not requiring any experience like anvils do.

Well, it's another dimension like the Nether or the End, so it's the portal that requires the diamond for activation. Though the rest of the portal is easy; just lots of flowers. =P Though I must admit, it is odd, since you'd think it'd just need flint as normal, but... Well, I guess maybe it's because it's so different?/EDIT: Flipz: Actually, a certain duo did just that. =P

Edited by BZP Blade

Coe and Avidya have been to the Nether...remember? They have steel. ;-)

Are there rodents of unusual size, as well? How do the damaging walls react to TNT? Are there any special materials to be gained in that world?

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Flipz: They went there after the Twilight Forest, though; if you remember. =P They just spent the majority of the time in the Nether before spending more time in the Twilight Forest. Turtles are partly to blame. =P

Are there rodents of unusual size, as well? How do the damaging walls react to TNT? Are there any special materials to be gained in that world?

Well, if you count the boars... :P There's also squirrels.

I'm...not sure how maze walls react to TNT. I think it just damages anything that even thinks about trying to damage it. :P

Well, there's magic ore maps, and the aforementioned uncrafting tables. There's also a few new types of roots and trees if you're willing to Silk Touch them. Also, the newest version of RedPower should be added to the pack sometime after Christmas, so that means microblocks will be a part of FtB as well. ;-)

And rabbits. Which were suspiciously close to lava barrens and I believe maybe a pile of bones, IIRC? I know that Coe and Avidya made note of the rabbit, which seemed unphased by the danger it was in. I have a suspicion to it's identity. =P

Are there grenades - holy or not - in FtB? I need to be prepared for rabbits, even if there aren't ROUSes.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom