Short Stories Contest #9: In The Darkness Bind Them

Velox

Are we allowed to enter a songfic, if thats the term? I was thinking of using one of Tolkein's poems as a backdrop

Yes, songfics are fine.

What if you don't know where quotes come from? I'm considering using the quote "It must be destroyed", but I only remember that quote from an ad.

You'll have to try to find it -- we need proof that it's from LotR/the Hobbit, sorry. If it is from the trailer, though, that's fine; just say so. newso1.png Edited by Velox

"As a writer you ask yourself to dream while awake." ~ Aimee Bender

I have another question...I know we need to say what chapter the quote comes from, but where should we do that? If a character says the quote, should we insert the citation right then and there, or wait until the end, restate the quote, and then tell where it came from?I'm sure I'm over analyzing this, but I can't help myself. :lol:

Lacertus

I have another question...I know we need to say what chapter the quote comes from, but where should we do that? If a character says the quote, should we insert the citation right then and there, or wait until the end, restate the quote, and then tell where it came from?I'm sure I'm over analyzing this, but I can't help myself. :lol:

]Citing it in the story body would most likely disturb the pace of the story. I recommend putting it at the end. :)- 55555

]Citing it in the story body would most likely disturb the pace of the story. I recommend putting it at the end. :)- 55555
That's what i though, but I wasn't willing to take the chance. Thanks again!

Lacertus

Will this become canon? (I am unsure, but i don't think it's likely) - just to clarify.

"Keep in mind that if Star Trek fans had, as a group, said, 'No point in talking about this anymore, it's never going to come back,' it never WOULD have come back."

-Greg Farshtey

So the quote must come from either the Lord of the Rings trilogy or from The Hobbit? Hence the silmarallion (sp?) is off-limits?Edit: Also, what constitues a quote? If I had the term "eleventy-one" in my story, would that be enough? Does it have to be a full sentence? A phrase?

Edited by Zaxvo

{Z}

So the quote must come from either the Lord of the Rings trilogy or from The Hobbit? Hence the silmarallion (sp?) is off-limits?Edit: Also, what constitues a quote? If I had the term "eleventy-one" in my story, would that be enough? Does it have to be a full sentence? A phrase?

A full sentence.Though if you really want to use part of a sentence, PM me or Velox with it and we may make an exception.'Eleventy-One' is not enough, no.- 55555

Are we allowed to enter a songfic, if thats the term? I was thinking of using one of Tolkein's poems as a backdrop

Yes, songfics are fine.
Are appropriate Lord of the Rings songs limited to the ones Tolkien wrote, or can our quote be taken from the songs that run over the films' closing credits? Edited by Vorahk1Panrahk2
BZPRPG

The song can be from either to count for your LotR quote.You can use any song you want and write a songfic about it, but you'll have to use another LotR quote then. newso1.png

Member name: Nuile: Lunatic WordsmithEntry name and link: Stellar Quest: The Black Gate Opens

Sincerely, Nuile: Lunatic Wordsmith :smilemirunu:

Edited by Nuile: Lunatic Wordsmith

When I know I can't live without a pen and paper, when I know writing is as necessary to me as breathing . . .

tumblr_meb7408mTy1r4ejnio1_1280.gif

I know I am ready to start my voyage.

A Musing Author . . . Want to read my books?

I've got three awesome ideas that I'm trying to decide on, but one depends on a question: Are stories posted on other sites okay then? The rules only say BZP. After that, it leaves it down to a conflict in the mind, another conflict in the mind, another way, with action, or mostly action. I'm thinking about the second because mental conflicts won the last contest. I'm not sure, so feel free to post opinions.

Curses. I forgot myself and edited my story to fix a few errata a reviewer pointed out. I guess I'm disqualified, aren't I?

When I know I can't live without a pen and paper, when I know writing is as necessary to me as breathing . . .

tumblr_meb7408mTy1r4ejnio1_1280.gif

I know I am ready to start my voyage.

A Musing Author . . . Want to read my books?

Okay, I've made my decision, but would it be okay if I posted this on another site after it's done? If not, I have another idea, but that one I need to save. Also, is it okay if I can only find the book/movie of the quote? I've looked everywhere, but can't find what scene it's in.And don't you deny that mental conflict wins, I looked at each one that won the last contest, and with the exception of one story, ALL were mental conflicts. Just a suggestion for entrees.

Edited by Click

Okay, I've made my decision, but would it be okay if I posted this on another site after it's done? If not, I have another idea, but that one I need to save. Also, is it okay if I can only find the book/movie of the quote? I've looked everywhere, but can't find what scene it's in.

Yeah, you can post it anywhere you want after you've posted it on BZP. The current rule is basically that you're not supposed to post it publicly for critiques before you enter.What' the quote? Maybe I or someone else can locate it for you.

Curses. I forgot myself and edited my story to fix a few errata a reviewer pointed out. I guess I'm disqualified, aren't I?

Not necessarily. I'll talk it over with Velox, we'll see.- 55555

Okay, I've made my decision, but would it be okay if I posted this on another site after it's done? If not, I have another idea, but that one I need to save. Also, is it okay if I can only find the book/movie of the quote? I've looked everywhere, but can't find what scene it's in.

Yeah, you can post it anywhere you want after you've posted it on BZP. The current rule is basically that you're not supposed to post it publicly for critiques before you enter. What' the quote? Maybe I or someone else can locate it for you.
Well, it's Galadriel, saying "The world has changed." I know it's in Fellowship, but not what scene. I'm trying to get a hold of the movie to find out though. Thanks!

Well, it's Galadriel, saying "The world has changed." I know it's in Fellowship, but not what scene. I'm trying to get a hold of the movie to find out though. Thanks!

There's the quote "The world is changed" which happens at the very beginning of the first movie, the full quote being:"The world is changed. I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air. Much that once was is lost, for none now live who remember it. It began with the forging of the Great Rings. Three were given to the Elves, immortal, wisest and fairest of all beings. Seven to the Dwarf lords, great miners and craftsmen of the mountain halls. And nine, nine rings were gifted to the race of men, who, above all else, desire power. But they were, all of them, deceived, for another Ring was made. In the land of Mordor, in the fires of Mount Doom, the Dark Lord Sauron forged in secret a master Ring, to control all others. And into this Ring he poured his cruelty, his malice and his will to dominate all life. One Ring to rule them all. "Not sure if that's the quote you mean, but that's one I could find in the Fellowship.As to your original question, we request that you do not use stories posted on other sites but as 5 5's said, you may post it anywhere you'd like after the contest is over.@ Nuile, I will PM you. newso1.png Edited by Velox

There's the quote "The world is changed" which happens at the very beginning of the first movie, the full quote being:"The world is changed. I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air. Much that once was is lost, for none now live who remember it. It began with the forging of the Great Rings. Three were given to the Elves, immortal, wisest and fairest of all beings. Seven to the Dwarf lords, great miners and craftsmen of the mountain halls. And nine, nine rings were gifted to the race of men, who, above all else, desire power. But they were, all of them, deceived, for another Ring was made. In the land of Mordor, in the fires of Mount Doom, the Dark Lord Sauron forged in secret a master Ring, to control all others. And into this Ring he poured his cruelty, his malice and his will to dominate all life. One Ring to rule them all. "Not sure if that's the quote you mean, but that's one I could find in the Fellowship.As to your original question, we request that you do not use stories posted on other sites but as 5 5's said, you may post it anywhere you'd like after the contest is over.@ Nuile, I will PM you. newso1.png
Treebeard says to Celeborn and Galadriel, in the Many Partings chapter of Return of the King:"It is sad that we should meet only thus at the ending. For the world is changing: I feel it in the water, I feel it in the earth, and I smell it in the air. I do not think we shall meet again."Just FYI.- 55555

Just a question, can I PM the draft to a friend for critiquing before I post it, or no?

Sure. Anyway, yes, as xccj said, (some of) the prizes have been announced! Very awesome prizes!newso1.png Edited by Velox

FAQ updated. Also prizes are revealed! Really cool and one-of-a-kind prizes! :music:

Sweet! Now if I could just finish writing up my entry... :lol:
I wrote mine up, and nobody noticed it. :burnmad: :PDon't worry people, I won't bite.Much. Edited by Kal Grochi

profiles i guess

i'm a south american giant otter now