Anime General Thread (Official)

Hodor

I don't really watch anime, but as I'm learning Japanese I think some Japanese-language anime with English subs might help me get my comprehension skills up a little. Can someone point me towards a good series or two for someone who hasn't watched much anime before? -Canama

man remember when no one would dream of making a forum site without signatures

that was tight

I don't really watch anime, but as I'm learning Japanese I think some Japanese-language anime with English subs might help me get my comprehension skills up a little. Can someone point me towards a good series or two for someone who hasn't watched much anime before? -Canama

I guess Code Geass is fine. It really depends on what kind of show you want to watch.
misaka_76_banner_800.jpg

I guess Code Geass is fine. It really depends on what kind of show you want to watch.
I don't really know what I want to watch. Just throw some good ones at me and I'll decide. -Canama

that was tight

It depends, are you looking for something easier to understand (i.e. you're trying to understand as much of what's being said as possible without looking at the subtitles), or are you just looking to watch some anime and leaving the recognition in the backseat? If the former, I'd recommend something that is not complex in the slightest. I would guess this is most slice-of-life shows (be warned, cute girls doing cute things is the entire plot of 50-ish% of these), perhaps Saturday-morning fighting shows like Hunter x Hunter, etc. If the latter, there's tons out there, as was mentioned before Code Geass is a phenomenal series, though it's difficult to recommend anime unless you can be more specific about what you're looking for. Do you like suspense, drama, comedy, etc.?
kaiji.jpg

KUYASHII

­

Xbox LIVE Gamertag: ImaGonnaGetYou

I think i was able to watch only 3 animes while the forums were off: 1- Code Geass2- Hidan no Aria3- Ao No Exorcist There can be more, i do not remember actually... Currently watching Hayate No Gotoku. BTW, someone here is watching Ao No Exorcist? :P

Hayate the combat butler is Awsome watched it all, Twice. And I've read (and am keeping up to date) on the manga. I want to watch the movie, but it's not subbed/ out on DVD....

I don't really know what I want to watch. Just throw some good ones at me and I'll decide.

Ranma 1/2 is nice.. It's funny. Also, I loved Excel saga, Yu-gi-oh GX (season 1, 2 and some of season 4.) and Nerima Daikon Brothers. Plots are for suckas. Currently watching Yu-gi-oh 5ds and Zexal. Edited by -Whiplash-

Gamers rise up, not down

It depends, are you looking for something easier to understand (i.e. you're trying to understand as much of what's being said as possible without looking at the subtitles), or are you just looking to watch some anime and leaving the recognition in the backseat? If the former, I'd recommend something that is not complex in the slightest. I would guess this is most slice-of-life shows (be warned, cute girls doing cute things is the entire plot of 50-ish% of these), perhaps Saturday-morning fighting shows like Hunter x Hunter, etc. If the latter, there's tons out there, as was mentioned before Code Geass is a phenomenal series, though it's difficult to recommend anime unless you can be more specific about what you're looking for. Do you like suspense, drama, comedy, etc.?
Either was would be fine. I know that no matter what I'm not going to understand most of it. And I really have no idea what I'm looking for. -Canama Edited by Canama

that was tight

Either was would be fine. I know that no matter what I'm not going to understand most of it. And I really have no idea what I'm looking for. -Canama

Then start with something simple, like Lucky Star or A Channel.
I'm not gonna lie, A-Channel was pretty generic. And I'm not sure why you'd recommend Lucky Star to a person not overly familiar with anime (considering how much of the show is referential humor), but I'll have to disagree on that one as well. Not that either are bad shows, of course. Canama, since you can't really determine a genre, I'll throw a few out there. Look them up on Wikipedia for a synopsis and take off from there, anything that sounds interesting probably is. Code Geass (Can't really describe it, but an excellent watch)Full Metal Panic! (Good mix between humor and mech action)Soul Eater (Good fighting show, no powerlevel spirit friendship nonsense for the first 30-ish episodes)Cowboy Bebop (Please watch this one in English, Steve Blum is the best)Gyakkyo Burai Kaiji (About "the art of gambling". This one's edge-of-your-seat suspenseful but slow paced)Steins;Gate (Fairly recent, but if you like sci-fi and time travel this is the one for you)Paranoia Agent (This show is a pretty freaky but in a good way)Shinryaku! Ika Musume (I just threw this in here because it's one of my favorites, your mileage may vary. Slice of life show with a squid girl as the main character, basically) I can pretty much guarantee you'll find at least 2 of those interesting. PM me if you need help finding them or something or if none of them strike your fancy. Edited by Deep-Freeze
kaiji.jpg

KUYASHII

­

Tiger and Bunny.Favourite show this whole year.Sunrise did an excellent job when they decided to head in a different direction with this series. Although Sunrise told the production team it was going to fail, it became extremely popular halfway which resulted in Sunrise having a heel face turn and saying KEEP MAKING THIS ITS GOOD. Tiger and Bunny has a great story, character development and its not cliche with Angsty highschool boy, mechas, angst angst angst. Kotetsu is the character that stood out from the rest.If you havn't watched this series, don't let the product placement fool you. (It's actually quite fitting and the product placement doesn't always get in the way. Just in the op.)Shame they decided to go back to cliches when they made Sacred Seven.

Give me bonkles or give me death

Anime I've Watched: Angel LinksBaccano!Black LagoonBLEACHChobitsClaymoreCowboy BebopDeath NoteExcel SagaFLCLFullmetal Alchemist BrotherhoodG GundamGundam WingGundam UnicornGurren LagannHaruhi SuzumiyaLucky StarNeon Genesis EvangelionOutlaw StarRosario + VampireRurouni KenshinSamurai ChamplooSayonara Zetsubou SenseiSargent FrogSoul EaterThe Big O

The Master of Tediosness

I'm not gonna lie, A-Channel was pretty generic. And I'm not sure why you'd recommend Lucky Star to a person not overly familiar with anime (considering how much of the show is referential humor), but I'll have to disagree on that one as well. Not that either are bad shows, of course.

Because both shows are slow and easy to follow, conversation-wise? Lots of easy Japanese. Which is what he wants.

Tumblr: Where facts and logic go to die.

Although most of my entertainment during the downtime was pony-related, there were a number of anime and manga I got into. Not listed in any particular order: BleachOne PieceBaccano!Haruhi SuzumiyaDurarara!!Code GeassDarker Than BlackFairy Tail (one of my favorites, good humor balanced with epic battle scenes)Freezing (a friend got me into this one, mostly the manga. very involving plot, not at all what you would expect from the gory fights and setting)Level E (alien comedy)Toriko (still forming an opinion...)Tiger & Bunny (quite possibly my favorite anime ever)[C] The Money of Soul and Possibility Control (another good anime, although tragically short-lived)Gosick (really cute, yet thrilling)Sacred Seven (same dealie, there were a lot of awesome anime last season)Kamisama DollsSteins;Gate (very neat story about time travel, I don't consider it sci-fi because there is no over-the-top technology)Kimi to BokuPhi Brain: Kami no PuzzleGuilty Crown (very Code:Geass-like, i.e. oppressive military with mechs vs. rebels, main character has magic) The last three are fairly new. I'm curious to see how they will progress. Edit: I'm sure I missed one in there...meh, it will come back to me eventually.

Edited by Keizah Hagah

steven-giantwoman-b.gif

[æzɚæθ mɛtriɔn zɪnθos]

I'm not gonna lie, A-Channel was pretty generic. And I'm not sure why you'd recommend Lucky Star to a person not overly familiar with anime (considering how much of the show is referential humor), but I'll have to disagree on that one as well. Not that either are bad shows, of course.

Because both shows are slow and easy to follow, conversation-wise? Lots of easy Japanese. Which is what he wants.
I would agree at least with A-Channel about ease of following (but then again, Minami-ke/Hidamari Sketch/K-ON!/etc. are overall better in that regard in my opinion), but he already said that's in the backburner. I still hold that half of Lucky Star's charm is lost if you don't get the reference jokes. But, again, opinions.

I think of all the anime I have watched, which granted isn't too many, Planetes remains one of my favorites.

I loved Planetes, so very much. It's a shame it doesn't get the recognition it deserves.
kaiji.jpg

KUYASHII

­

Anime I've Watched:Cowboy BebopExcel SagaFLCLFullmetal Alchemist BrotherhoodGundam WingGurren LagannLucky StarNeon Genesis EvangelionOutlaw StarSamurai ChamplooThe Big O

Okay just for having this in your list of animes makes you awesome to me. Outlaw Star is still my favorite anime. So what about Anime movies cause I throughly enjoyed "The Castle Of Cagliostro" and Blue Submarine No. 6.

gallery_99567_147_39590.jpg

I've watched Gurren Lagann (obligatory), most of Lucky Star, random terrible morning anime (pokemon, yugioh, etc) and Panty & Stocking.I'm not really an anime fan but I've been watching Squid Girl (Shinryaku!(?) Ika Musuke) lately and somehow it's just the best animated show I've watched in years.I think it's because it's split up in three segments, so if there's a part you don't like there's two others to watch. Also Ika is awesome.http://www.majhost.com/gallery/KayTeen/Things/gifs/flyp.gifHoping for a quick sub when they air E5S2 today :mellow:

Edited by Black Six
yooo_daaaawg.png

First BzP'er to own Vezon and Fenrakk!

Oh,terrible anime opening themes is kind of a thing you have to accept if you want to watch a good show.

Absolutely, it seems like every popular show has a good first OP, and then when the second OP theme comes around it's ear-shattering. Why not just make them both exceptional? It's mind-boggling.

I honestly don't mind most themes and if I don't like them immeadiately I usually end up liking them eventually. But I utterly despise Squid Girl's new opening.

I have to agree, I'm not a huge fan of this opening either.
kaiji.jpg

KUYASHII

­

Death Note and Shinryaku! Ika Musume A.K.A Squid Girl are my favorite animes.I mean, who doesn't love Squid Girl?

I clearly love the show, but good God, the dub is horrible. The worst 5 minutes I've ever spent watching something on that one video site. Edited by Deep-Freeze
kaiji.jpg

KUYASHII

­

Some Anime I've watched: Nurarihyon no Mago Desert Punk Baka&Test Claymore Maken ki Samurai Champloo Baccano! The world god only knows Squid girl Queen's blade Cat god

Life comes, and life goes, flowing like the tide.

Peace ebbs, and peace flows, often fleeting just like time.

Love can last, but only so, there isn't much before you die.

People pass, come to and fro. And eventually revenge too, doe lie.

For in the the end, it's only the vengent who lasts forever.

The Vengent Spectre.

Anime I've Watched:Cowboy BebopExcel SagaFLCLFullmetal Alchemist BrotherhoodGundam WingGurren LagannLucky StarNeon Genesis EvangelionOutlaw StarSamurai ChamplooThe Big O

Okay just for having this in your list of animes makes you awesome to me. Outlaw Star is still my favorite anime.
Yeah, as Peter Cullen said "Wild West, Y2K Style"

The Master of Tediosness

Death Note and Shinryaku! Ika Musume A.K.A Squid Girl are my favorite animes.I mean, who doesn't love Squid Girl?

I clearly love the show, but good God, the dub is horrible. The worst 5 minutes I've ever spent watching something on that one video site.
Yeah, I prefer cartoons/anime/movies in their original language. It just feels weird watching Squid Girl in english, Spider-Man in japanese and so forth.(Also the SG dub was made by people they dragged in from the street. There is no other explanation for that horrible, horrible dub.)
yooo_daaaawg.png

First BzP'er to own Vezon and Fenrakk!

I've watched Angel Beats!, Fate/Stay Night, The World God Only Knows, Hayate The Combat Butler, K-ON(!/!!), Yu-Gi-Oh 5d's, The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi and Mahoraba.I'm currently hooked on Fate/Zero. Still too bad we have to wait for spring 2012 to see the ending of it.I've watched (among others):Fate/Stay Night,The Unlimited Blade Works movie, (although it lacked in the storyline-perspective, the battles where awesome <3) Angel Beats!, (For me, the best anime I've wached)K-ON (!/!!),The Melanchony of Suzumiya Haruhi,The World God Only Knows (I/II),Black Rock Shooter, (I didn't even comprehend half of it, though)Yu-Gi-Oh 5D's andMahoraba. I'm currently hooked on Fate/Zero, but I think it's a shame we have to wait for Spring 2012 to see it's ending (not that it should be any surprise how it ends, but still).

~Blue Dragon~