Takea Tankards

@ Basilisk;Yeah. It was at the very bottom of an edited post a while back. You must have got on the next post before I edited. So yeah, Stalva [still approved].Point 1; The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. One man is not justified in threatening the security of others by his actions, especially when others are depending on him to protect them. Let's imagine, just for fun, we live in a Fallout-esque after-the-end scenario, minus the super mutants and plasma rifles. Your family and a number of others live in one village, and a few miles north is another village. Both villages are fighting over the area outside a ruined military bunker, and neither can get inside unless they have both sides of the bunker. Your village has tried negotiations, but the others, thanks to a mix of inbreeding and radiation poisoning, are pretty vicious and refuse to give up. In this world, you're the best sharpshooter and hunter in both villages, and the ace in the hole that will help minimize casualties on your side and push back the enemies. Your entire village trusts you to help them.Wouldn't you?Don't answer that. As far as characters are concerned, however, they're being taken away so they can protect their home. That's the most noble thing there is - to give up your own happiness to protect others.Point 2; Yeah. Before Point 2 dies, I want to mention that I've never met an actual pacifist. The closest was my Mennonite social studies teacher, and he, like everyone in my town (or across the river in his case) is armed and, I quote, "willing to take out kneecaps". It ain't killing.Point 3; Both for the sake of the argument and in actuality. My response here is - how? How does that make you a hero? How is being selfish a heroic act? If being selfish is a heroic act, then I suppose we should give a medal of honor to everyone on the school board. What you're describing isn't a heroic act, it's the exact opposite of acting. Saying no is easy. It's saying yes that's hard.Except if someone's offering bacon. Then not saying yes is impossible.Point 4; You're not even the one who loses their RPG if they break forum rules. If I didn't have to worry I'd be a little more carefree. In real life, on the other hand...Point 5; A nice pair of book trilogies I read, the Elenium and Tamuli (by David Eddings) featured a people who chose a person to be the leader of the country. Nobody sought it, they just got it. Every possession they had was sold and stuck in the national treasury. If you didn't do a good job, and that national treasury dropped, you were out as much as you cost the country. Nice system.They're given a choice. Either fulfill their destiny or be a potential danger to themselves and others. Besides, they're getting free lessons on combat. Toa level training isn't cheap, you know. It's like getting picked to go to West Point.Unless you don't want to go. I know at least one person in my class dreams of it. Me? I dream of the US Air Force Academy.Easier said than done.Point 6; Exactly. And what's the better plan, take over the universe, or make the Toa Council mad?Point 7; Also science, arts, religion, literature and laws against public indecency.-Toa Levacius Zehvor :flagusa:

Edited by Toa Levacius Zehvor

"I disapprove of what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

- Evelyn Beatrice Hall (often attributed to Voltaire)

Well good, I needed to make a post anyways.For all of you who are planning on leaving - the shipyards are closed during the night. You have to wait until morning. I apologize for forcing your characters to get to know each other. It's not like they're going to be fighting and dying with each other or anything, right?@ Toa of Smooth Jazz;How is carrying a battleaxe a power?You know that he can use mask powers, right?~~~~~~~
Okay, edited the powers section.

"I pitea the fool!"

(quote by Chro)

98.7% OF BZPOWER MEMBERS HAVEN'T SEEN MY BUCKET 

IF YOU ARE ONE OF THE 1.3% THAT HAS SEEN MY BUCKET, COPY THIS AND PASTE IT INTO YOUR SIGNATURE

I MISS MY BUCKET 

@ Toa of Smooth Jazz;It ranks between 3 and 5 on my list shortest profiles every made, but [approved].Matoran profiles end up longer than that.-Toa Levacius Zehvor :flagusa:

"I disapprove of what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

Excellent. I'll type up a worthy intro post soon enough. Now things get interesting...Also, experience tells me we're just going to keep going back and forth on this forever. Morality debates are like that. I've got no problem with it since my social life is deader then a Lich...Point 1; No. They do not. The few are just as important as the many in this case. Normally I could agree with this sentiment, but not here. There's a difference between your hypothetical situation and this one we are debating. A society is not justified in taking away one man's life (forcing him to protect them for his entire life until he's to old to be of use) for their own reasons. The most noble thing there is to defy the authority attempting to draft you and others into such a situation. An authority that must force people to protect it has lost the right to exist. At least in my mind. There is a difference between helping because you want to and helping because you are forced to at sword-point.Point 3; See above. You are defying an authority that would force you and others to defend it despite you not wanting to. Any authority that does that, trades a basic freedom for security, is on the wrong side of the morality fence. I would say the opposite, saying no can result in death and prison sentences and public scorn. Saying yes is really much easier. Saying no, in this case, is the ultimate act of defiance, and due to what you are defying, a heroic act.Point 4; I do have to worry about losing proto. The precious precious proto. :PPoint 5; That sounds horrible. I could be sitting my study minding my own business and...suddenly everything I've known is yanked away and I'm forced into a job I do not want? I would bring the country down out of spite. As I've said before, an organization that has to force someone to defend it or rule it has lost the right to exist. Freedom is paramount.They're given a choice. Submit to the rule of the Council and fight for the very people who are taking away your rights, or resist them and do what they believe is right.Good luck with your dream however. I wish you all the best.Point 6; You'd be surprised. Hatred and intellect are a potent combination. Point 7; All are nice.

I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people. You are wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides.

I hope this isn't too overpowered.Character Name: XerxesGender & Species: Male, Prime Species (Carapar’s) Powers: Natural Abilites, Emulation through KanohiEquipment:-Mask of Emulation, in the shape of a brown and gold Shelek.-A Clockwork “Shotgun”. The weapon is long, made of varnished wood and gold-colored metal, and shoots a blast of pellets with considerable force, but is only accurate at extremely close range (Even then, it spreads out quite a bit). Takes about five minutes to cool down from each shot, and it can hold five shots.-A gigantic, double-headed battle axe. Appearance: Xerxes stands at about eight feet tall, as musculed and armored as any other member of Carapar’s species. The only thing unique about him in the sense of looks is his shoulders. Instead of his chest being covered in huge amounts of armor, his shoulders and upper arms are covered in pauldron-like pieces of golden armor, large and domed. His primary color is a dark, muddy brown, with bright pearl gold highlights. Wears a bandoleer for his “shotgun” and ammo, and carries his axe by hand. Faction: Good (Though not part of any order or faction) Personality: Outspoken, Honorable, Chivalrous Biography: Xerxes is one of the few “Classic Heroes”, believing that one can still be perfectly honorable while defending what you believe in. Doesn’t dislike or like one species more than the other, including the bestial, raging Zyglak. He will only kill when absolutely necessary, acting on a self-made “Code of Honor”. Xerxes was originally a woodsman, quiet and reserved, but as the years passed, he felt as though something had to be done. That in mind, he journeyed to Sakrinil, where he spends his days helping whoever needs it.

pNNgXax.jpg

@ Darkon;[Approved]@ Krayzikk & Grochi;No, I'm doing the exact same thing as normal. Only it's like there's two of me....No, not that bad.@ Basilisk; I have no appointments during the summer except church and an event yesterday.I believe we've already started repeating the same argument.Point 1; Perhaps. But it's not the Matoran or the Turaga, the ones who you're protecting you, that are forcing you. It's the Toa Council, who are sworn to protect them. You can't force them to suffer for something they didn't cause, can you?Point 3; Saying no results in public scorn or a prison sentence. Saying yes, according to you, means giving up the rest of your life to do something you want to do. In your own words. What's better, to live a day free, or live a century imprisoned? That's... somebody. Close enough of a quote. And besides, the universe is huge. Yheyn is pretty freaking small - the Continents have cities that cover areas almost as large as the entire island. There's plenty of places you could hide and live your life. Or areas where the world is too uncontrolled. A rogue Toa can live a free life if they're smart about it. But that's the easy way out.Point 4; I once lost proto for trolling by saying a comedy was terrible, unfunny, and had a poor taste in wording. iBrow might be able to tell you about that comedy. I could too. But I won't.Point 5; Well, it helps that the entire country is composed of nothing but warriors, men and women alike.And yeah, it's your duty. Unity, duty, destiny.Thanks.Point 6; Hatred blinds your intellect. Causes you to make mistakes.Point 7; Also bacon.-Toa Levacius Zehvor :flagusa:

Edited by Toa Levacius Zehvor

I'll be gone all of Saturday and Sunday. Just saying. Still deciding who I'll loan Evex to for that period of time.

Edited by The One who is Gone
They were called Tenno. Warriors of blade and gun: masters of the Warframe armor. Those that survived the old war were left drifting among the ruins. Now they are needed once more.

The Grineer, with their vast armies, are spreading throughout the solar system. A call echoes across the stars summoning the Tenno to an ancient place. They summon you. 

Allow the Lotus to guide you. She has rescued you from your cryostasis chamber and given you a chance to survive. The Grineer will find you; you must be prepared. The Lotus will teach you the ways of the Warframes and the secrets to unlocking their powers.

Come Tenno, you must join the war.

Excellent. So now it becomes a battle of attrition. ...Over the top! * Bayonet charge* Point 1; Agreed. But they have no more right to make you suffer for something you didn't choose. The Toa Council however, is guilty here. They drafted you, they force you to fight. There's a difference between protecting your neighbor during a riot and being forced to join an organization that doesn't give you any choice in the matter. One is something your morality directs you to do, the other is the result of an overbearing authority forcing you into dangerous situations you don't want or even need to be in.Point 3; No. Saying yes means giving up your entire life and any chance at a normal life for an organization that forces you and others to fight to preserve it. Any organization that does that, again, does not deserve to exist. Protection is something people should offer on their own free will, not something they're forced into. There is a very good reason conscript armies tend to be of a low quality. They don't believe in the cause they're fighting for and, if they are anything like me, will sell that side out to the enemy in a heartbeat......The easy way out is to hide and be hunted for the rest of your life? No. The easy way out would be to sell yourself out and give into that malignant organization that wants to force you to defend it. Point 4; I make it a point to avoid the comedy forum.Point 5; Never bought into the concept of duty myself. Duty is just another word for "Go die for what I believe in while I sit in this tent. Don't want to? Well, then you go to prison." Just because someone in power says it's a good thing, doesn't make it so. There's a difference between joining something like the police force and being forced to join the Toa council. One is your choice. The majority has no right to force it's will on the minority. There are some exceptions, criminals and such as. But if someone is given powers they don't want and is being hunted down for it....something's wrong. Very wrong.Point 6; Anger can be a fuel actually. I know I always work better when I'm angry. Maybe it's just me.Point 7; And a chocolate. Delicious chocolate.

I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people. You are wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides.

Point 1; If you're the only one who can solve those dangerous situations, it's left to you to deal with them.Point 3; Let me point out the problem here. One moment, you say freedom is more important than anything else. Okay, sure. Then you say that it's easier to give up your freedom than it is to keep it, and deal with the scorn of others. If freedom is the most important thing there is, than giving it up would be the hard choice, would it not?Point 4; It used to be better. When I first joined there were a lot of really good comedies, or I was easier to amuse. Or both. A lot less spam involved, too. Though I was a total newb at the start. There's still some good ones. Not that I can say anything - my comedies end up terrible, or I run out of ideas too fast.Point 5; Whether or not you believe it, it's a building block of Matoran society. The three virtues are unity, duty, and destiny. It's what Matoran culture believes in. It's harder to judge because we're looking at it from an alien viewpoint. For a real world example, do you think Native Americans viewed things the same way as European settlers?And sure, sure. But if the majority of people will suffer because a small group of them refuses to act, then the small group are denying the others their rights to preserve their owns. How are the minority any better, then?Point 6; When I'm angry I act too quickly. Of course, that's more fun. But in anger, it becomes harder to enact major plans. And after a while, the anger fades, or you lose sight of your original goal.Point 7; Fireworks, firearms, lighters, firemen, hamburgers...-Toa Levacius Zehvor :flagusa:

Point 1; Exactly! It's up to you! Not the Toa council. It's your choice. ​An organization has no business forcing it's morality on you. None. Nada. If you are not harming others, crime is the clear exception. Point 3; The overriding point here is you shouldn't have to give up your freedoms. I'm not saying there aren't situations where this can be valid, if a being is feasting while a thousand others are starving, I've got no issue's taking away that beings right to hog out. But the freedom to choose is more important then that. There is a degree of difference there-sorry if this seems unrelated, but I'm trying to head off an argument I can see coming out of this. Point 4; Indeed. I tried to write a comedy once....I don't talk about that anymore. Ever.Point 5; The Native Americans were going through an apocalypse at that time. Views do tend to differ when that happens. :PAh. Gray vs Grey morality. Ideally, everyone would work together to defeat the threat as a community. Point being, I suppose, those who do not wish to give up their entire life-everything they are-shouldn't be forced to. There are exceptions, but since I don't see a nuclear holocaust on the horizon, I don't see how they apply here. Point 6; I can nurse a grudge for years.Point 7; ​ Technology, computers, advanced reasoning, eventually cybernetics, space flight, that flag on the moon...

Point 7;Video games, RPGs, Books, TV, Transformers....
Of course! How could I have forgotten such wonderful milestones?!The fact our entertainment would seem like magic to older civilizations is definitely a sign of progress.

Hey, hey, hey, Cotan is a really smart guy.Whether it be brains or duels, he's a smart guy. Diplomacy and Swordsmanship each require a certain amount of mental capability, diplomacy more so.That's why stupid diplomats aren't ever used-they start wars.

profiles i guess

i'm a south american giant otter now

@ BasiliskPoint 1; So you're saying you agree with what they want you to do, but wouldn't do it just because you disagree with being forced to do it? That's a terrible way of thinking! "Oh, I agree with them, but since they're forcing us to do it, that makes them wrong, even though they're right."Point 3; The freedom to choose is still given. Choose to go with these guys and do good, or to run away and figure out something else to do with your life. Maybe become a vigilante hero. Maybe become a villain. Or join with the Xankah, or another powerful group. Look at Governor Vamden - he was a member of the Council, but he managed to maneuver himself into a position as a landowner, then a noble, then a diplomat, then a full on ambassador, and now he controls all of Yheyn. He still works with the Council by hiring other Toa, but he doesn't do anything they say because he got himself into a position they can't object against him. Gremost did the same thing years before - after he led the revolution and became leader, the Council couldn't do anything against him without harming the Matoran.Point 4; Let's close down this point. It can join point 2 in the nether realms.Point 5; Nevertheless, the point is that Matoran culture is different than ours. It's hard to judge what their beliefs are since they don't have the same way of thinking that we do.All I'm saying is that you state the majority cannot force their will on the minority. But what gives the minority more of a right to harm the majority than the majority has the right to harm them? If the majority need something to happen, and the minority refuse, they're no better.Point 6; So can I, but I'm a good faker.Point 7; Chairs.@ Benluke;This guy is right, sort of. The Toa Council represent one way of Lawful Good, which is the Law makes Good approach. Most of the leaders are Lawful Good, but there are plenty of Lawful Stupid members. Some aren't even Lawful, or Good. But mostly it's like a Jedi/Paladin/Bionicle mixup.The Xankah Order is on the 'do what you need to do' side of the fence instead of the 'do what the rules say' one.-Toa Levacius Zehvor :flagusa:

@Levacius: Yeah, don't worry about draining inner light and all that mumbo jumbo, I knew off the bat that it'd be problematic and give you some more problems on your hands. Thanks.Yeesh, 1 more day and then I can finally start playing this thing...so excited! :D

Point 1; Forcing someone to fight for freedom? Oxymoron. Forcing someone to fight for what you think is right? Evil. If you protect someone because it's your choice? Great. Because someone is holding a knife to your back? Bad.Point 3: All valid choices. My main point here is that the Toa Council is immoral however. That does't change that.Point 5; Every society has it's dissidents, it's rebels. I can only use my culture as a frame of reference here. Besides, I think the whole survival instinct bit is pretty universal. "Hm. These people want me to die for them despite drafting me....how about no?" It's pretty basic logic.Point being, the minority can be right. It all depends on the issue at hand. And here, the issue is "should we force beings to fight and die for us?" The answer, in my morality is a resounding no.Point 6; I'm more of a plotter. Once convinced someone that aliens were going to invade. True story. :PPoint 7; Comfy chairs.Sorry if this is shorter then normal, merely trying to get to the meat of the issue.

Edited by Basilisk

It is a necessary evil, that at this point in history is necessary. Nuff' said.

They were called Tenno. Warriors of blade and gun: masters of the Warframe armor. Those that survived the old war were left drifting among the ruins. Now they are needed once more.

The Grineer, with their vast armies, are spreading throughout the solar system. A call echoes across the stars summoning the Tenno to an ancient place. They summon you. 

Allow the Lotus to guide you. She has rescued you from your cryostasis chamber and given you a chance to survive. The Grineer will find you; you must be prepared. The Lotus will teach you the ways of the Warframes and the secrets to unlocking their powers.

Come Tenno, you must join the war.

It is a necessary evil, that at this point in history is necessary. Nuff' said.
No evil is necessary. No one should be "on the fence" about evil. No one should be "considering" evil. Evil is evil and should be avoided at all costs. There is always another solution, maybe not an optimal one, but a moral one."Those who fight monsters..."

Like the Council, [the Xankah Order] will ‘loan’ out members. While the terms of the agreement are usually more lenient, though the Order is more selective of whom their members work with.
Wouldn't the Order tend to be less selective of who they work with?

Q2TtLEz.png

@ Burnmad;How many are you talking?100 people? About a month to track everyone down.50 people? A few weeks.20? A week, give or take some days.10? Within a few days.Anything is possible, but being so public is just suicide. The Xankah Order started off with a high ranking member of the Council who had a lot of support - some half of the Toa on Yheyn, and Toa all the way up north. And it wasn't that great of a change.@ BenLuke;They enforce Good. Everything they do is for the greater good. But they believe that a system of laws is the best way to do it, not independent acts and good deeds.Sometimes people go a little too far. Like Miko Miyazaki in the Order of the Stick, for instance.@ Arc;No and yes. The Order only sends their members out of it means that they're accomplishing good acts. The Council does that, but they also have them work as law enforcement. Down here in Yheyn, where it's mostly independent groups and there aren't multiple major law enforcing groups, it's about equal in who gets hired out. That changes up north.@ Basilisk;Evil can be necessary. I don't like torture. But I believe it's necessary to save peoples lives. The movie Unthinkable presents that question to you - is it worth torturing one man to save tens of thousands of people? What if your family was in that group of ten thousand - would you let them die because of you?Point 1; Refusing to do something right because you're commanded to do it is a highly Chaotic act. It's not a Good act. It's not a right act. It's just an act. The alignment you are describing is Chaotic Neutral, barely leaning towards Good. You're willing to give up doing Good acts just because you don't want to be told what to do. There's nothing noble or heroic or honorable about that.Point 3; They're not immoral. They have perfectly good morals. Their morals aren't their problem, it's their ethics.Point 5; It's a simple choice - use your powers for good or don't have anything. Or just rebel and use them for whatever you feel like, but then your culture as a whole is going to shun you. That's how it is.If you're not willing to sacrifice yourself for the many, then you don't deserve to have the powers you do.Point 7; Dinnerware. TES3:Morrowind.-Toa Levacius Zehvor :flagusa:

Hm. Just realized, this is the exact opposite of what I said in a Equalist v. Benders debate......I need to reconcile this. I'll be right back.

Alright, so, who wants to sacrifice a lot of blood to a dragon so that he can use it for distilling something?
Should I ask?
Hm. Just realized, this is the exact opposite of what I said in a Equalist v. Benders debate......I need to reconcile this. I'll be right back.
I can argue anything. In Social Studies I was on the Confederate side of the Civil War debate, and nobody could beat me. Nobody.-Toa Levacius Zehvor :flagusa:

Alright. This is getting difficult. On one hand, Toa are very powerful and those powers used incorrectly can do great harm. On the other hand they are beings with rights and feelings and those should not be forgotten. Freedom is too important.Truly evil actions, torture, genocide, should never be an option. You'll become the monster you fight. But sometimes you don't have a choice in the matter....and darn, this is playing havoc with my personal morality....This is really an area you could only decide what do on a case by case basis....Hm. I didn't consider some of this as thoroughly as I should have. Alright, I'll give this a try.The Toa Council is unethical because, despite having many volunteers that would be willing to do as they were commanded, they still seek out and conscript those who do not want to fight. Any organization that must force others to defend it, is not a Good organization. Powers should be controlled yes, I'd have no issue if it were a school of sorts. Or had a way of removing powers from those who did not want them. The fact they draft them and force them to fight for it is an immoral and evil act.There.

Edited by Basilisk