A Prefix For Matoran Of Lightning

Having read a lot of BS01 lately, I have discovered that Matoran of Lightning don't have a prefix, yet (such as Ta, Ko, Onu, etc.). After deducting a few things, I think I have a suggestion for a prefix.I think Matoran of Lightning should be called Ni-Matoran. Now, I believe that the Matoran word for Lightning is "Nika" or something close to "Nika". This would explain why Jaller and his Toa team called themselves the Toa Inika; they were struck by lightning and chose to call themselves "Inika", which means "energy from a star", which would be synonymous with "lightning". There is also a Toa of Lightning called Nikila, which contains a derivative of "Nika". So, I shortened the word "Nika" to get "Ni", a suitable prefix.So that's basically my theory/suggestion. I'm not asking for this to be canonized, I'm just asking for your opinions. So tell me what you think. :)

Edited by Oni
oniban.png

I like it, actually. However, would the pronounciation be 'NEE-ka' or 'NIGH-ka'? Well, either way sounds good, and I actually like the prefix a lot. ^_^ I'm surprised BS01 didn't hold a poll with a few prefixes for the Lightning Matoran so that way they can decide what will work best.

Edited by Peach 00

On the day the wall came down / They threw the locks onto the ground

And with glasses high / We raised a cry / For freedom had arrived

On the day the wall came down / The ship of fools had finally run aground

Promises lit up the night / Like paper doves in flight

I dreamed you had left my side / No warmth, not even pride remained

And even though you needed me / It was clear that I could not do a thing for you

Now life devalues day by day / As friends and neighbors turn away

And there's a change that even with regret / Cannot be undone

Now frontiers shift like desert sands / While nations wash their bloodied hands

Of loyalty, of history / In shades of grey

I woke to the sound of drums / The music played, the morning sun streamed in

I turned and I looked at you / And all but the bitter residues slipped away

slipped away...

I like it, actually. However, would the pronunciation be 'NEE-ka' or 'NIGH-ka'? Well, either way sounds good, and I actually like the prefix a lot. ^_^ I'm surprised BS01 didn't hold a poll with a few prefixes for the Lightning Matoran so that way they can decide what will work best.

I'm surprised, too. And the pronunciation would be "NIY-ka", to sound like Inika and Nikila.

I believe the prefix used on the fanon Expanded Multiverse is Et-

Yeah, but this is simply another prefix that could be used that has canon roots.

This also fits with "Nikila," the toa of lightning on Lesovikk's team. I'd like to point out that Lesovikk starts with "Le," So this makes sense. A lot of sense.

i actually mentioned Nikila in my post, and was going to mention how Lesovikk's name started with "Le", but figured it wasn't important. :P

I support this idea.But the chances of canonization are slim.

Like I said, I never really expected this to be canonized.
oniban.png

I really like this as well i'm glad that it was actually thought through. And in my opinion it would fit in with the other element abreviations ko=kopakale=lewaonu=onuaso ni could also go for nikilaNi=Nikilaso it does make sense and i like it.

u9et1dt.gif

Banner made by Onaku

BZPRPG CHARACTERS

Syvra-Tivanu

If you interact with one of my characters and I don't respond or acknowledge the interaction within a day, send me a PM. Odds are I missed or did not see the post.

Lightning isn't the only element missing a prefix. Magnetism, Plasma and Plant Matter lack one as well. You probably only noticed lightning because it's the only unnamed Matoran race with a page on BS01.I've actually always used Ni- for lightning, personally.Also Van- for magnetism, but that's another subject entirely.

AXKP5KC.png

I really like this as well i'm glad that it was actually thought through. And in my opinion it would fit in with the other element abreviationsko=kopakale=lewaonu=onuaso ni could also go for nikilaNi=Nikilaso it does make sense and i like it.

And more importantly, Le = Lesovikk, Nikila's team's Toa of Air. Which is why I've supported "Ni-" since that chapter of Dreams of Destruction came out.

fiestajacknoirbanner.png

Comedy: "Made in Denmark" (currently on hold) || Epic: "Six in a Hundred"

"And this, ladies and gentlemen, is why we can't have nice things." - Spi

Inika means 'energy from a star'. Assuming ka=energy/power (not an illogical assumption, considering its presence in Kardas, Kanohi, Kanoka, Ignika, etc.), then ini means 'from a star'. Presumably, -i- is 'from' and either -ni- or -in- is 'star' (or ini is just 'star energy').Either way, Inika has nothing to do with the word for lightning.Also, if Ta-hu means Ta = fire and Le-sovikk/Le-wa means Le = air, does Jo-van mean Jo = magnetism? And Ta-kanuva means Ta = light as well?Not that I dislike the idea of canonizing elemental prefixes, but I would prefer something else.

[No signature until I think of something witty]

In the meantime, why not visit my blog?

I really like this as well i'm glad that it was actually thought through. And in my opinion it would fit in with the other element abreviationsko=kopakale=lewaonu=onuaso ni could also go for nikilaNi=Nikilaso it does make sense and i like it.

And more importantly, Le = Lesovikk, Nikila's team's Toa of Air. Which is why I've supported "Ni-" since that chapter of Dreams of Destruction came out.
true i did not think of lesovikk but good point

u9et1dt.gif

Banner made by Onaku

BZPRPG CHARACTERS

Syvra-Tivanu

If you interact with one of my characters and I don't respond or acknowledge the interaction within a day, send me a PM. Odds are I missed or did not see the post.

Inika means 'energy from a star'. Assuming ka=energy/power (not an illogical assumption, considering its presence in Kardas, Kanohi, Kanoka, Ignika, etc.), then ini means 'from a star'. Presumably, -i- is 'from' and either -ni- or -in- is 'star' (or ini is just 'star energy').Either way, Inika has nothing to do with the word for lightning.Also, if Ta-hu means Ta = fire and Le-sovikk/Le-wa means Le = air, does Jo-van mean Jo = magnetism? And Ta-kanuva means Ta = light as well?Not that I dislike the idea of canonizing elemental prefixes, but I would prefer something else.

You make very valid points. I knew that Inika meant something, and I assumed it was lightning. However, isn't the "power from the star" sent in the form of lightning, making "lightning" and "power from the star" synonymous? As for your point on prefixes, the difference is that some people are created as Toa, and some become Toa. Vakama's names doesn't have the "Ta" prefix because he wasn't created as a Toa, even if it was his destiny. Same thing goes for Takanuva. Just guessing, of course.Great points though, nonetheless. I'm surprised I found a way to work around them. :P Edited by Oni
oniban.png

I think all the prefixes are based of off the toa mata names. Onu - Onua, Ta - Tahu, Ko - Kopaka and so forth. Well i guess maybe it would make sensce if ni was it.

Edited by Boidoh

Add me on 3DS: 0516-7750-0068

Add me on Wii U: Boidoh

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 4: Never Trust a Snake

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 44: Corridor of Elders

Like, Comment, And Subscribe for Nintendo Content - NinBoidoh

If I remember correctly, the Toa Mata were deliberately named after their elemental prefix. With all other Toa it's just coincidence.-Tomdroidser

Featuring: Arkham Firefly/The LEGO Movie Quiz

Now Entering: The Rise of DarkSaber
Two personal thanks to Black Six for Proto Boost.
(Expired) Topics: HF MOC BBC #69 Entry: Jaller Inika Rebuilt 

There is no such thing as perfection, except in being yourself.kanohi_avkama.gif

Well, "Ni" has been my headcanon for a while now, so I wouldn't say that this isn't a nice idea. However, I don't know that the fact that an early Toa with what could appear to be a prefix is particularly good proof. Your support deriving from "Inika" makes a little more sense, and I find it rather likely that the words in Matoran for "star" and "lightning" could be similar.

I think all the prefixes are based of off the toa mata names. Onu - Onua, Ta - Tahu, Ko - Kopaka and so forth. Well i guess maybe it would make sensce if ni was it.

Nikila was not a member of the Toa Mata. She was a member of the first Toa Team, though.~ BioGio Edited by BioGio

"You're a scientist? The proposal you make violates parsimony; it introduces extra unknowns without proof for them. One might as well say unicorns power it."

That really fits! Congrats for finding something that isn't just a made-up prefix, but has basis in the story. I'll use this. :)

"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
-- Harlan Ellison

Inika means 'energy from a star'. Assuming ka=energy/power (not an illogical assumption, considering its presence in Kardas, Kanohi, Kanoka, Ignika, etc.), then ini means 'from a star'. Presumably, -i- is 'from' and either -ni- or -in- is 'star' (or ini is just 'star energy').

Except you forget that some words are backwards like Metru Nui is Great City, though literly it means City Great.I like the idea though. Ni sounds like a great adjective. We also need some prefix's for other Matoran Edited by Toa Lapaka

What are we searching for? Are we searching for anything or just randomly surfing the internet? I did that once. I found this bionicle fan site called bzpower. Whoever made it had no decorating sense what so ever.

I like it, the thought process behind it makes a lot of sense. Most element prefix theories I have seen usually rely on a single character or a word in real life, but this actually uses multiple sources.

"Danger is the anvil on which trust is forged"-Jaller(Jala) :smilejala: 
"We're on our own here-like we've always been-and we'll stand or fall on our own"-Tanma
"He may seem slow and strange to you, but his simple words often carry a hidden wisdom"-Turaga Vakama on Kapura

9B586E38-224D-4703-8EE3-5A0AC1CB8344.png.4f8ec6246a5ad7273e1c0d55cb15537e.png
Kanohi: Stories of a Matoran Vigilante The Impact of a Rebirth: a Kanohi Fanfic The Willing Exiles: a Kanohi Fanfic SKA PC Profiles: Kanohi, Collector, Mahrika Kardaka BZPRPG Profiles Avatar by @Harvali 

Avohkii=Av, Av=light...

LlqByyh.png

Avohkii=Av, Av=light...
I think he's aware of that; he's just trying to prove a point. :)

jlovfkk.jpg

Lightning, for me, has always been "Vo-" after "voltage" (Or "Volta" if you want to be really precise). Personally, I don't care, and "Ni-" makes a lot of sense story-wise. :)

I'd personally prefer Vo-, but thats partly because 'Ni' just makes me think of the Knights who say Ni from Monty Python... :P

- Taipu1.

tayis.png

HighFly Matoran

Showdown

BZPRPG Profiles

Have you seen my Blog? I understand if you haven't

Problem is that GregF decided that he wants to deal with the prefixes at an appropriate time, meaning that when he needs to use, he'll create one and use it.

True; and I have no intention of bringing this up with GregF any time soon. However, if the Bionicle Story Team is active, I'll shoot them a PM. And thanks for all the support, guys! :) Edited by Oni
oniban.png

Wait, just a thought, if 'nika' meant lightning why would the mask off life be called the Ig-nika? It has no relation to lightning as far as I know.

"Only the insane equate pain with success.

Only the savage regard endurance of pain as a measure of worth.

Only the foolish consider pain to be just wages for being different".- The Cheshire Cat (American McGee's Alice/Alice:Madness Returns)

We are active. :)

Embarrassing. I guess I'll send you guys a PM, then. :)

Wait, just a thought, if 'nika' meant lightning why would the mask off life be called the Ig-nika? It has no relation to lightning as far as I know.

It could be a coincidence, because someone else suggested that "ka" could mean "energy", due to it's presence in many words such as Kanohi and Kanoka. So the presence of the word "nika" could just be a coincidence, and "ka" is the only part meant to have meaning.
oniban.png

Inika does mean "power from a star," but isn't that power in the form of lightning? If I remember correctly, the word lightning was used several times in the novels, and the Inika's elemental bursts were "laced with lightning."On BS01 it says "their bodies were charged with lightning." I suspect that the "power from a star" translation just says were that lightning came from.

banner.png

Inika does mean "power from a star," but isn't that power in the form of lightning? If I remember correctly, the word lightning was used several times in the novels, and the Inika's elemental bursts were "laced with lightning."On BS01 it says "their bodies were charged with lightning." I suspect that the "power from a star" translation just says were that lightning came from.

Despite that, "Inika" does not necessarily have any meaning regarding lightning. For example, the phrase "cold water from the sky" can imply that snow, rain, hail, or plenty of other forms of precipitation here falling from the heavens, just as "power from a star" doesn't tell us anything about the form of the power.Further, I thought that it might be helpful to point out that "ka" does not actually mean "power/energy" but rather "spirit." (Perhaps "ika" or "(i)n(i)" is "power." If "(i)n(i)" means "power," this would actually support the theory better.)~ BioGio

"You're a scientist? The proposal you make violates parsimony; it introduces extra unknowns without proof for them. One might as well say unicorns power it."

For the record, guys, the "Et" prefix used in the Expanded Universe here on BZP had no canonical origin. It may have been just a nod to me. :PI'd like the idea of "Ni" if it didn't make me think if Nikola Tesla. Which, granted, could even be more support for this, but of course I then associate "Tesla" with the SI unit for a magnetic field, not electricity...~|ET|~

E-T... Phone home.

"He walks among us, but he is not one of us."