What if 2005 had never happend

As we all know the 2005 story wasn't supposed to happen. How do you think the post 2005 bionicle story would have gone if 2005 didnt happen

wearewaiting.gif

As long as there is one bionicle fan out there there is still hope for bionicle to return. Keep faith. Bionicle is amazing.

I personally found the main story of 2005 to be pointless. Yes, Time Trap was awesome, and we were introduced to some rad characters, but more or less I think it shouldn't have happened. One prequel year is enough. :P

Archon                      

"For one to truly feel alive, the person must kill oneself a little bit each and every day."

Check out my MOC, one of the new generation of Toa on Spherus Magna!

***Toa Kyraan***

Then the current year would be 2013.

*applauds* :yes:

Anyway, on the real topic:

1. Makuta would not be freed from his protocage, at least on-screen. People would have complained about an important plot point being shoved aside. 

2. Three of the best Bionicle books, Challenge of the Hordika, Web of Shadows, and Time Trap, would not be written.

3. The Toa Metru would have come off as blank prequel heroes lacking in character development instead of the fully rounded out characters they turned out to be.  

4. No explanation for why the Turaga were so apprehensive about talking about their past would be given. If there was one, it would be awfully shallow, instead of the full answer we were given.

5. The Dark Hunters would be introduced later, and their introduction would likely feel more surprising and forced.

6. The Rahaga/Hagah would not exist, likely as not.

Simple. A LOT of money was invested in creating Metru Nui -- designing it, planning it, mapping out how it worked -- if we don't do a second Toa Metru story,

then all that has all been for one year because we knew the next present day story would not take place on Metru Nui.

As for Dume-Nidhiki -- that was never an option for 2005. The only time that came up was whether they would be the extra Toa sets this year. The idea was scrapped because the then head of the story team (since departed) had a Dume-Nidhiki idea he wanted to do for a possible future movie, so he did not want to tell that story now.

And the third reason is -- if we had just left things as they ended at B2, I would have 125,000 PMs in my box saying, "But how did they get the rest of the Matoran to Mata Nui???"

Greg

Edited by fishers64
  • Upvote 7

Also, Roodaka would never have been introduced, thus leaving out a key player in the Federation of Fear team...

...nah, who am I kidding? She talked a big game, but when push came to shove she didn't really contribute much to the BIONICLE story.

However, I do agree with everything fishers said in the post above me. 2005 gets a lot of flak for Vakama's betrayal, but at this point, it's really an essential part of the BIONICLE story, and the saga wouldn't be the same without it.

• Upvote 3
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
-- Harlan Ellison

I've always considered the 2005 arc to be one of BIONICLE's worst years, both for sets and story. Removal of the characters introduced in 2005 doesn't adversely affect the story in the same way as eliminating any other story year.

For me, the only loss would be Time Trap because that was actually a really good book.

tumblr_ng1pw4xLEM1tryxewo1_1280.jpg

Another thing would be the origin of the Mask of Light never being explained. I'm just trying to think of smaller details

Exo toa not developed into Makuta-tools

No time trap

BOM not established as a thing (i'm sure it would have been later :P)

Was this the year all of the fanmade dark hunters and rahi were established? If so the world of BIONICLE wouldn't be as fleshed out.

Tu2d6W7.jpg

I actually didn't know that the 2005 story wasn't suppose to happen. I know that we most likely wouldn't have gotten the Visorak, the Rahaga, Roodaka, Keetongu, Sidorak, and the Zivon introduced into the story. We wouldn't have seen how the Toa Metru got the rest of the Matoran, retrieved the Mask of Time, or how they got the Mask of Light. (As others have already pointed out.) We also wouldn't have gotten the Rahaga's Rahi guide, which introduced a lot of cool Rahi into the story. 

And I do know that some of these story elements probably would've been explained in the Voya Nui saga somehow, but they probably would've been quickly explained in a few scenes of dialogue instead of being shown in-story. (At least, that's is what I think would've happened.)

• Upvote 1

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

I know that we most likely wouldn't have gotten the Visorak, the Rahaga, Roodaka, Keetongu, Sidorak, and the Zivon introduced into the story.

The story details would probably not be the same, but actually the sets might have happened, or some of them. Set designers often came up with things and story people figured out how to use them. The 2005 sets might have filled the 2006 plot, or whatever version of it they would think of a year earlier.

• Upvote 2

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

I felt as if even if 2005 had its missteps, it still had a lot of answers that it revealed: Makuta's reign on Mata Nui, the origin of the Dark Hunters, what happened with the Mask of Time, how Makuta was taking over so many lands, and how the Turaga got to be the people they were in the modern day storyline. So... yeah, I feel as if we would have missed out on a lot if 2005 didn't happen.

• Upvote 1

"Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus."

If 2005 never happened, we'd never find out what baby rahkshi looked like.  :superfunny:

In all seriousness I enjoyed that storyline. It definitely developed the story of the Metru, and I found the venom mutation process fascinating really. Not to mention those really cool spinners we got to experience. :)

Animation_Mangaia.png.e38a5644c8a08bfd4c488514025b5017.png

Formerly Iron_Man5

To me 2005 was the point where Bionicle's story really started to get convoluted. If it hadn't happened, I doubt that would have never happened, but it would have at least been staved off and more of the casual fans would have stuck around... Including me. But I guess that's a story for another time.

One thing i didnt like about 2005 was the back story. i never thought that was handled well. The toa hagha were just painfull. Also on a different note when iruini got shot by rodaka in the comic they were running for a minute or so. why didnt iruini just teleport?

• Upvote 1

wearewaiting.gif

As long as there is one bionicle fan out there there is still hope for bionicle to return. Keep faith. Bionicle is amazing.

It's possible that the Voya Nui, Mahri Nui, or Karda Nui (probably that last one) stories would've been extended an extra year to take advantage of the early start or just fill in that gap, which would've helped flesh out those years more; otherwise that year would've just been skipped and Bionicle would've ended in 2009, or the Bota Magna story would've been able to finally, like, happen. If Bionicle dinosaurs would've been a thing, it probably would've had amazing sales figures and the fifth movie would have had to been made as well and, assuming it was better than the one before it, would've boosted sales even more and also would've been super entertaining. If that were the case, Bionicle's cancellation would've been postponed and another year would've been able to go through, and long story short Greg's original plan for the end of Bionicle would've gone as anticipated and the entire Bara Magna/Spherus Magna arc wouldn't have had been rushed and Bionicle would've had a proper ending and many more sets, and Hero Factory would also have been postponed and not caused too many people to be upset by the replacement, and-- Basically I've proven that 2005 ruined EVERYTHING and caused Bionicle to be cancelled prematurely and robbed us all of our dreams and childhood and that if it were skipped everything would have been glorious and nobody's eyes would've been poked out with Rhotuka spinners and the US would not still be in this economic slump and Brazil would have won against Germany.

THANKS 2005. THANKS A LOT.

• Upvote 1

pomegranate-banner-sm.png .

2005 was when Bionicle started going with the strategy of putting next to nothing substantial in the comics, a big chunk in books and then market a movie. So, as someone who didn't see the movie or read those books, 2005 didn't really happen for me. 

Like Pomegranate said, I think we would have seen a better distribution of the story arcs. The Toa Metru were a great concept when they first hit, but I personally didn't find anything super compelling about them as a team, and the Hordika story didn't really add much to that. We got a lot of great sets out of 2005, but the story was pretty "Eh" in my book. 

Dr. B 

dban1.png
"We can't all, and some just don't. That's all there is to it." - A.A. Milne

2005 was when Bionicle started going with the strategy of putting next to nothing substantial in the comics, a big chunk in books and then market a movie. So, as someone who didn't see the movie or read those books, 2005 didn't really happen for me.  

Dr. B 

That's true about 2005 (although I still liked the stories they told in the comics), but not for '06-'08 whatsoever. All the climactic showdowns occurred in the comics in those years, so I'm not sure why you identify '05 as the year BIONICLE "started" that. Seems to me more like the year BIONICLE stopped that trend, until 2009.

• Upvote 2
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
-- Harlan Ellison