BZP Mafia Discussion

Voltex

Thank you all!

I think I’ll take that idea about the Skull Slizer voting through PM.  They probably also shouldn’t appear on the suspect list when they kill, though I’m wondering if I should guarantee at least one of the other Okotans will.

I’ll have Tahu activate when either Umarak or Kulta die.  As an extra check, I’m thinking that when Tahu+Ikir kill there will be a smaller suspect list (I’m thinking four suspects as default, so either 2 or 3 for Tahu+Ikir)

And I’ll have the Music Slizer will go in blind.  It does sound like more fun.

On a slightly different note, how do you all feel about hidden/secret rules of games? How many are okay, how many in-game changes are too much? (this is more of a theoretical/curiousity question)

I myself am not too happy if too many drastic changes occur during games, as it makes strategizing a bit harder. ._. Idk, just curious about the general opinion on such things.

20210512_strollin_banner.jpg

My art collection topic - updated! (21/09/2021)

Just wondering, what's the queue looking like for hosting? (I've played a fair bit, but never hosted, so dunno what kind of qualifications you have to jump thru? Is knowing everybody's original usernames thru all the name changes a requirement? :P ) I guess I have an idea for a side game, where the twist is that the average villager wants to die. I haven't worked out all the details yet, but wanted to throw my hat into the mafia ring. Or something like that.

:music:

There was a wait list a while ago, but it's not necessary anymore due to dwindling activity. If you've worked up an idea and want feedback, just post it in this thread (like Pahrak) or have someone look at it through pm, and if you're satisfied with it then you can get the go-ahead from everyone in this thread

2xu8Ptu.png

• 2 weeks later...

Okotans' Revenge is officially over and done, in case anyone wanted to run the next side game.

I am working on an idea for one more Slizer Mafia, but I want to wait a while before applying to host it.  However, since I was thinking of doing it differently than the previous two, here's what I have if anyone has any suggestions.

Slizer Mafia 3

Working title is "For Coronet and Cancellation [slizer Mafia 3]"

Story-wise, this’ll be a few years after Okotans’ Revenge.  The Judge Coronet has declared war on the rest of the Slizer planet and has killed six of the other Coronets, leaving themselves and the Ice Coronet the only remaining leaders.  Only a small population of regular Slizers remain alive—the Judge Coronet wishes to either bring them into their ranks or kill them, while the Ice Coronet has found a way to remove Slizers from this broken timeline and wishes to save as many as they can.  The “lynchings” will be more a vote to determine who the Judge Coronet kills in the day. (For variety, a few of these players might get “removed” by the Ice Coronet instead.  Functionally these effects are identical.  A “suspect list” will be provided.)

Instead of a Mafia versus village setup, we have two small groups competing with each other and the other players are caught up in the middle of it.  Each group (Court) will consist of only three people:

-A Coronet Slizer, either Judge or Ice.  Both Coronets’ identities will be known to all and they cannot be killed under normal circumstances, but one (or both) is guaranteed to die at the end of the game.  At the start of the game they have a Medic ability, but their ability can change as the game progresses, as you will see.

-A Detective-type role.  If they are killed, then the Coronet will learn the role of the person they protect.

-A “killing” role.  It’ll be framed as this person selecting someone to bring before the Coronet, and while the Coronet will usually either kill them (Judge Coronet) or remove them from the timeline (Ice Coronet), there are two special roles described below who are activated when this role targets them.  If this role is killed, the Coronet loses their previous ability and takes over this job.

Each individual chooses their own target, but each Court will still be in a group PM to coordinate their efforts.  The goal of both groups is to find two “Pivotal Roles” (Name Subject to Change) amongst the masses: the Delta Slizer and the Mask Maker.  If either of these is targeted by the “killing role”, they will activate their ability and join the Court that found them, taking the role ability of any Court member who has been killed in the process. (If multiple members are dead, they choose which one to take.  If none have died, the Delta Slizer takes over the Medic ability since the Coronet’s ability will change, but the Mask Maker will just sort of be there.) The game will end when both Pivotal Roles have been either found or killed.

If a Court finds the Delta Slizer, the Coronet will lose their previous ability and instead kill/remove one player each night (in addition to the one targeted by the “killing role” if they are still alive).  If a Court finds the Mask Maker, not much changes gameplay-wise, but it will put us closer to the end conditions.  I think I’d like to keep the story impact these two have quiet for now…

With these game over conditions, there are a few possible ending scenarios:

-If one Coronet has found both Pivotal Roles, all members of the other Court will be killed, and this Court and any remaining players will win.

-If one Coronet has found one Pivotal Role and the other Pivotal Role is dead, all members of the other Court will be killed, and this Court and any remaining players will win.

-If one Coronet has found the Delta Slizer while the other has found the Mask Maker, then the Coronet who activated a Pivotal Role last will kill the other Court, and they and whoever remains will win.

-If both Pivotal Roles are killed, then the Coronets are both killed and any other players who remain will win.

(This does leave the tiny possibility that both Coronets could find a Pivotal Role on Night 1, ending the game there…but that’s highly unlikely, so I think I’m just going to dismiss it…)

(If a Pivotal Role is found and then killed afterward, all that will matter is that they were found.  So, if the Ice Coronet finds the Delta Slizer but the Delta Slizer gets lynched next round, it will still count as “1 Pivotal found by the Court of the Ice Coronet” when determining end conditions as opposed to “1 Pivotal dead”.)

Also, I want to implement a rule where if a role does not respond by the deadline, a target will be chosen for them via RNG.  We really need all roles functioning for this game to work, I think.  And there will probably be a musical number inserted into it somewhere, since it appears I am not the only one who enjoyed the Slizer Rhapsody scene in Okotans’ Revenge.

• Upvote 4

there will probably be a musical number inserted into it somewhere, since it appears I am not the only one who enjoyed the Slizer Rhapsody scene in Okotans’ Revenge.

I really did enjoy that.

It was a fun way to go out.

Also this seems like a really interesting Mafia game.

Which side restores the original timeline?

Hey I got a Flickr because I like making LEGO stuff.

https://www.flickr.com/people/toatimelord/

there will probably be a musical number inserted into it somewhere, since it appears I am not the only one who enjoyed the Slizer Rhapsody scene in Okotans’ Revenge.

I really did enjoy that.

that's for pahrak to know and us to find out

also i'm at home now and have oodles of free time. i could potentially host the next main series game if anyone wants

i'd have to...write it up and figure it out, but i could host if no one else wants to. it'd be interesting to host again after not hosting since...what, XX?

1Ydp0mg.jpg

Steam name: Ehksidian

I really did enjoy that.

She's right, the exact influence each ending has on timey-wimey shenanigans is being kept strictly under wraps for the time being.  Partly because I reserve the right to change my mind if I think of something more interesting between now and then.

I really did enjoy that.

She's right, the exact influence each ending has on timey-wimey shenanigans is being kept strictly under wraps for the time being. Partly because I reserve the right to change my mind if I think of something more interesting between now and then.

Okay.

Just asking.

Hey I got a Flickr because I like making LEGO stuff.

https://www.flickr.com/people/toatimelord/

alright, got my mafia game written up. how does this sound to everyone else?
(Note: I chose not to copy the intro story, to cut down on fluff and get straight to the game itself for feedback)

Bionicle Mafia XXXVI: Title Not Found

The True Prince has arrived and has effectively waged war on the citizens of Ilias. Each day, one Matoran will be tried and executed for assisting the True Prince. A representative of the village shall also be elected each day, via private votes. Come night, the Enforcers shall choose someone to kill, and hope that the vengeful Bodyguard does not find them first...
---
Rules:
1. No revealing roles.
2. All votes for the execution of alleged Enforcers shall be posted in the topic; however, all votes for the Representative shall be sent via PM.
3. No write-in votes. If the person you want to vote for isn’t on the list, you can’t vote for them. This is for both executions and Representatives.
4. One vote change for each list allowed per round. You must state who you are switching from, and who you are switching to.
5. BZP rules apply.
---

Roles:

Matoran (x??): Standard villager. Capable of voting during the day and little else.

Bodyguard (x1): The former Heir, the Bodyguard patrols the streets at night. They can choose one person to protect each night, and will defend them from the Enforcers. If the Bodyguard selects an Enforcer to protect, the Enforcer shall die. The first time the Bodyguard is attacked by an Enforcer, the Enforcer will die and the Bodyguard will survive. Any subsequent attacks will result in the death of the Bodyguard.

Representative(x??): Elected each round. The Representative is immune to being executed during the day or night, and has three votes for execution lists – however, they cannot vote for a Representative. The Representative is also capable of investigating one player during the night, and can choose whether or not to reveal their findings to the public or not. Once a Representative election concludes, the prior Representative shall revert to their previous role.

Secret role (x1): A secret.

Enforcers (x4): These four matoran assist the True Prince with nightly murders. One is sent each night to kill a target.

True Prince (x1): This insane Matoran clad in white robes claims to be the true heir to the throne. The True Prince cannot be killed via lynching or other methods until all Enforcers are dead. If either all Matoran die, or the True Prince becomes the Representative, they will win.
---
Citizen Registry:
(Unsure how many slots I should have. 28?)

• Upvote 2

1Ydp0mg.jpg

How about 'Dead Dynasty' or 'Deadly Dynasty' or 'Dynasty of Death'?

Maybe not, they're a little too hamfisted. 

Dead Dynasty could also work, but

i think i'll go with A Princely Affair. after all, XX was focused on king v village (at first), so it makes sense that prince v village would feature prince in the title.

• Upvote 2

1Ydp0mg.jpg

Princely Affair is good. You should do that, because I want some mafia and i miss you guys. =P

@Taka on hidden info: I think I have an essay soemwhere about my views on hidden twists in games. I might try and find it. I wrote 3-4 essays about Mafia game design a couple of years ago that I think I never posted anywhere, lol

basic gist is that twists are okay if they are telegraphed and within design space. saying that something will change the game is good. Something changing the rules out of nowhere is bad.

• Upvote 6

Princely Affair is good. You should do that, because I want some mafia and i miss you guys. =P

@Taka on hidden info: I think I have an essay soemwhere about my views on hidden twists in games. I might try and find it. I wrote 3-4 essays about Mafia game design a couple of years ago that I think I never posted anywhere, lol

basic gist is that twists are okay if they are telegraphed and within design space. saying that something will change the game is good. Something changing the rules out of nowhere is bad.

share these essays with us all plz

• Upvote 4

please find the essay and give it to us

i really wanna read it.

also, the title is decided and will 100% be "A Princely Affair". i'll put the game up when tex's game concludes.

• Upvote 2

1Ydp0mg.jpg

I found fragments of the particular essay I meant (About hidden information in games), but not the whole thing yet - I think I never quite finished it. I'll see about fixing it up and posting it soon. I did find two others that I did complete, though. One on design trends in the Third Age (Up to XX I believe) and another one on defining what BZP Mafia even is. I think I'll post one of each of these for the next two days (Perhaps here and in my blog? Only here? *shrug*) and try and wrangle the other one into something useful in that time. That sounds pretty fun.

I will say, though, something I realized as I was doing cursory research to find the information I was using for the secrets essay: Once Iborw's current game finishes, we will have officially passed the first age in number of main series games, although probably not side games. That's pretty nutso, guys. We've come so far. *tear*

• Upvote 8