Mafia: Damage Control

Quisoves Potoo

Ok, I've been keeping this a secret too long. I've got a role that almost none of you know about. I didn't say this before because I didn't want to be targeted, but now seems like a good time.

I'm the Opal Shaman detector. The Opal Shaman detector can investigate a person to see if they're the Opal Shaman.

Originally, there were five shamans. The fifth Shaman, the opal Shaman was the most powerful. But evil corrupted the Opal Shaman's heart, and so he was banished from Botanu for his wickedness. He was forgotten, but now comes to seek his revenge. He is really powerful, so even I(the special Opal Shaman Detector role) don't know his full power. I do know he can make villagers become deranged, and do other strange things as well. 

I do know his mission, though. He is trying to kill off all the Shamans. I don't know if that will win him the game, but it will at least give him so extra abilities and pretty much seal our fate.

I have pretty much narrowed the list to three suspects, Councilor Mandacus, Ddude, and Burnmad. We have to act quickly if we are to live.

Post Scriptum: He needs to control Tara Karda as well. The Mafia is trying to do so as well, so I'm not sure if he's in league with, or parallel to the Mafia.

I'm...really not quite sure what to say about this. Just gonna sit back and see what happens in this next night...

Edited by Underscore

2xu8Ptu.png

As the nocturnal insects' chorus filled the warm night air, a figure crept through the jungle. Below him, the trail of footprints marked his path. While he was thankful for not having to dispatch his target in the middle of the village, he yet wished that the requisite journey was not so arduous.

At long last, the footprints ceased, and he espied through the fronds the object of his hunt, , standing amidst the lackadaisical palms. The villager seemed far away, as if his body were but a facsimile of life. The killer hesitated. He desired the satisfaction of inflicting pain on his victim, of seeing the terror on his face. If he acted now, he might well be robbed of much of that pleasure. In the hopes of bringing Ehksidian round, he roughly rustled the foliage. Nothing. He growled a low, primeval sound. Still nothing. He removed a dagger from his belt, and flung it at him. It embedded itself firmly in his side, yet he registered no more than a flinch. Enraged, the deranged one erupted from his cover and hacked away at Ehksidian's form in a frenzy. His machete struck blow after blow, and yet the object of his rage and hate seemed only slightly annoyed, resisting him with no trace of panic or urgency. Finally, the blade severed his neck, and his head fell, like fruit from a tree. The murderer stared for a moment, as baffled as he was furious. Save for the surrounding beasts of the night, all was silent for the space of seventy-three seconds.

As the most of the villagers slept, a wild, terrified scream echoed through the jungle.

beheld the obsidian coastline, the wine-dark water and the white sea foam flowing back-and-forth over the jagged rocks, like an overeager predator salivating at the thought of its next meal. As she stared out over the void-like expanse, she heard the sound of footfalls behind her, muffled as they were by the roaring of the waves.

"Oh, hello again," she said, trying to keep her worry from her voice. "And to think I thought I'd shaken you."

"Tsk tsk, such pride," the cloaked figure, his face hidden by a crude mask made of fruits and leaves, responded in a voice obfuscated beyond recognition by shells and hides. "Those who seek to touch the stars do so out of a mistaken sense of kinship."

"Oh, do spare me the persiflage, whoever you are. You followed me for a purpose. Be done with it."
"What? No grand declamation to the sea, railing at the transience of things, the fickleness of fate?"
"I'm afraid I don't share your flair for the theatrical."
"So sad. That's to be expected, I suppose, given the lack of any art or entertainment beyond crude excuses for music on Botalnu for years. You're not even going to try to escape, and to consequently break your neck as you plummet to the hungry rocks below? Where's your sense of fun?"

"Since you continue prattling on, instead of simply doing away with me, I might as well ask you what you hope to gain from this? Twisted pleasure? No, you lack a certain edge. Rule over this benighted island, then? What can that possibly offer you?"
Her pursuer laughed, "That's quite rich. Such hubris, it defies expectations! Now, about your impending death..."
Shadow_Ignited stared at him, cold, stern defiance in her eyes. "You can kill me here and now, but it shan't be more than an annoyance to me. "
"Oh?" said the figure, sounding quite amused. "Be that as it may, I still intend to cause you... inconvenience."
"Look at the sea. Why bother? She is far more powerful, infinitely more deadly, than you will ever be. Why bother killing me, when I can give myself up to someone long acquainted with death?"
"And here you were, suggesting that I was the grandiloquent one."
"Look into her depths, and tell me that you do not feel insignificant."
The unknown figure stood for a moment, facing the sea.

As he did so, Shadow_Ignited bolted, making for the nearest path. Even as she began to do so, the cloaked one whirled towards her , and but four seconds later, she felt a pair of gloved hands around her neck.
"Did you really think you could fool me so easily?" the mysterious individual said, menace now quite strong in his voice. "Ah, well I suppose it was worth a try. Pardon my anonymity."
And with that, he whipped a vial out of his cloak, and forced its liquid contents down his victim's throat.

Day Three

After breakfast, the villagers began the all too familiar task of searching out those of their number missing.

, was the easiest to find, his corpse lying in bed, chewed-through quite thoroughly.

Next was , whose body was found, quite savaged, in the middle of the jungle. Rather disturbingly, his disconnected head seemed also to have been chewed through.

Finally, was discovered, her body dashed upon the cold, wet rocks, with a crude smile carved across her maskless face.

, Villager, killed on Night Three.

Remember, you have 24 hours to vote!

Edited by Quisoves Pugnat
  • Upvote 3

gZsNWyr.png

(Credit to Nik the Three for the banner)

The spooky ghost knows his killer.

Oh boy what a shame if I said who it was to get my revenge on him

If I knew who killed me I'd've done that.

Or maybe not. To be a good sport.

QP, shadow_ignited is a girl, though I suppose recharacterization by plot is acceptable. I know you were recently feeling poorly so it's not a big deal.

save not only their lives

d665fa5c17bc200a946e0a69eaf11f929dc080cb

but their spirits

QP, shadow_ignited is a girl, though I suppose recharacterization by plot is acceptable. I know you were recently feeling poorly so it's not a big deal.

Oops, sorry about that! I'm not certain how I made that mistake. Perhaps I've grown so used to boys having female anime avatars that whenever I see any anime avatar, female or not, I assume it belongs to a boy? Whatever the cause, I have now amended the pronouns appropriately.

• Upvote 5

gZsNWyr.png

Oops, sorry about that! I'm not certain how I made that mistake. Perhaps I've grown so used to boys having female anime avatars that whenever I see any anime avatar, female or not, I assume it belongs to a boy? Whatever the cause, I have now amended the pronouns appropriately.
Haha, I understand that completely. A couple months ago, the rampant Bravely Default avs...
  • Upvote 4

save not only their lives

d665fa5c17bc200a946e0a69eaf11f929dc080cb

but their spirits

This is just what I've observed about the killers. I think there are three killers on Botanu(only one on Tara Karda): the Mafia(the creepy guy in the cloak)(organized killing) deranged villagers(who don't even know they're killing) and some sort of killer beastie(the face chewy thingy)(not a person). The opal shaman causes the deranged villagers, and might command the beastie. I have a hypothesis that the beastie is connected to the weather somehow.

MnRA5kV.png

This is just what I've observed about the killers. I think there are three killers on Botanu(only one on Tara Karda): the Mafia(the creepy guy in the cloak)(organized killing) deranged villagers(who don't even know they're killing) and some sort of killer beastie(the face chewy thingy)(not a person). The opal shaman causes the deranged villagers, and might command the beastie. I have a hypothesis that the beastie is connected to the weather somehow.

You are literally making zero sense

• Upvote 6

Sorry, let me explain what I meant.

Basically, I believe there are three types or killers.

1. The Mafia. That was the guy in the cloak. The guy who killed Shadow_Ignited.

2. Deranged villager. The Crazy McHackHappy who killed Ehkisidian.

3. Some sort of beastie. Let's call him Chewy. He killed Ddude.

MnRA5kV.png

I reject your reality and substitute my own

With pop tarts

• Upvote 3

With pop tarts

Toaster Strudels you fool

• Upvote 2

bBhcfWO.png

With pop tarts

Toaster Strudels you fool

ew

- :burnmad:

• Upvote 4

Viva toaster strudels!

Oh, and happy Halloween!

(Pretentious, moi?)

Only three bothered to gather in the grove, that day. It seemed that the other villagers had better things to attend to.
The votes were cast quite quickly. Peculiarly, seemed quite suicidal, dooming himself to execution.

"I vote for Aiwendil, his name brings death."
"Farewell, buddy. I'm not sure why you chose to go, but you will be missed," said Burnmad, sadly.

In the labyrinthine recesses of his mind, Aiwendil laughed. He had heard the call of the sea, and heeded it. The oceanic magistrate had weaved its way into his mind, and soon his brain was atwitter with the songs of mollusks and the dances of shell-fish. He knew the answer, it was quite simple, so so simple. Simplicity itself. Soon the water would engulf the island, welcome it beneath its skin. And there would be merriment, and, no doubt, poetry, when they scuttled and swam with their claws and their fins and their pseudopodes. Therefore, it was but a matter of death, and then his body would become one with the deep.

As a congregation of villagers discussed the gastronomical merits of the pastries of Botalnu, three figures approached. One of them, Burnmad, plucked @Toa Chuck from the gathering. "Your time has come. I hope that you are not the menace I suspect you to be,  but something tells me otherwise. Any parting words?"
"Not much, I'm afraid," Toa Chuck replied, "But then it matters not. For you too, shall die. Just as we all shall! We will tear your limbs from their sockets with unbounded glee! Your mask shall be a fine powder, your skull garbage. You shall have pain, all of you, agonizing torturous pain and agony and hurt and death and pain and..."
As the condemned muttered on with violent incoherence, Burnmad dragged him beneath a nearby tree. Then, with grace and speed, he unsheathed the ceremonial katanna, and, not flinching, cleaved Toa Chuck in two.

Councilor Mandacus was next to die. Ranting of past glories (whether real or imagined was anyone's guess,) he was flung headfirst into the acid-vat. His body melted away, seemingly possessing all the fragility of a drop of dew.

Finally, Aiwendil, per his request, was tossed, tied to a large, metal sphere (which had once been an object of importance, but had since taken to gathering dust and sighs of annoyance,) into the sea. He smiled a ragged smile. At last, he would be united with the voice (or was it a melody?) that had haunted his dreams. As his vision went dark, he fancied he could feel his body changing, his lungs becoming gills, his hands warping to adapt to his new home. But, alas, twas' but a fancy.

Suddenly, the villagers felt the sensation of fresh knowledge in their minds, a clairvoyance they attributed to the Amber Shaman.

Burnmad had chosen well, for Toa Chuck had not been of sound mind, to say the least. He had been a threat to the village.

Alas, the other two were quite harmless, their sacrifices in vain.

@Toa Chuck, Deranged Villager, executed.

, Villager, executed.

, Villager, executed (albeit suicidally.)

Night Four

The weather continued to cool, and the nine remaining villagers were quite comfortable as they retired to bed. Some, alas, would not retain that comfort.

Temperature: Temperate

Night roles, PM!

Edited by Quisoves Pugnat
  • Upvote 3

gZsNWyr.png

Dang it. I should've voted and broken the tie! I guess the fiasco with Voltex earlier made me too paranoid to do anything that might be suspicious. :P Oh well. Hopefully I'll do better on my next game.

Don't blame yourself. I would have called in favors. =P

- :burnmad: