Takua electric-magnet thingy in Mask of Light

Boidoh

I was re-watching Mask of Light to get my mind off of my stupid canonization polls, and I noticed that in Onu-Koro, when he grabs the Kohlii Stick, he uses some sort of magnetic/electric looking bolt to grab it. Is this supposed to be an Av-Matoran exclusive ability that he just happens to know he has?

Add me on 3DS: 0516-7750-0068

Add me on Wii U: Boidoh

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 4: Never Trust a Snake

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 44: Corridor of Elders

Like, Comment, And Subscribe for Nintendo Content - NinBoidoh

I just thought it was the animators getting lazy with animating the hand grasping the stick, so they just said "Screw it, they're robots, we'll just have it magnetize to him instead".

The more artsy side of me wants to say it was foreshadowing, because that was the moment when he really takes initiative and stands up to the Rahkshi (plus its a Kolhii staff, something that would later become his main weapon as Takanuva). So they inserted this shot to show he has some kind of hidden power beneath. 

I could support that by mentioning his hands magnetizing to the sides of the Ussanui later on.

-NotS

Edited by Nidhiki of the Shadows
  • Upvote 5

tahubanner.jpg

Another thing I noticed. If Takanuva and Makuta are playing Kohlii with Energized Protodermis, then why is it that when Makuta was hit nothing happened to him.

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 4: Never Trust a Snake

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 44: Corridor of Elders

I think that was actually semi-canon. Greg mentioned it once, tho I'm too lazy to go find the exact quote.

The idea was that, prior to the movies, none of the characters had actual hands with which they could pick up and hold onto objects, for the most part. So the idea was they had weak magnetic powers in their hands that allowed them to "grasp" weapons and tools and such. It is kind of odd that they used it in the movie, where it was the first real instance where they had fingers, but the theory was used to explain how the Toa Nuva could hold onto their weapons in the comics, when they only had socket pieces for hands.

:music:

• Upvote 1

I thought all Matoran had a minor magnetic hand power. 

As for Makuta, I want to say that such a small amount of the stuff wouldn't be enough to transform the entire armored beast. Or maybe he was destined to transform into that white-black blur thing and back into himself. :P

• Upvote 2

I read somewhere that Kanohi magnetically attach to Matoran faces, so it would not be stretch to say that something similar happens to gain a better grip on their weapons/tools. Also, since in comics it was required to depict the characters exactly like their sets, they had to always carry their weapons. Always. This could explain why in-story when they would otherwise loose their grip after getting knocked around many times.

Or purely artistic licence similar to how TLR forgot 99% of its characters aren't robots. 

• Upvote 4

Remember Artwork III?

It was the best of times.

It was the worst of times.

Of course, in TLR's defense, it's a heck of a lot more set accurate. Imagine if the Agori looked 90% organic. You might be barely able to recognize them. For goodness's sake, the Lego Movie had less set accuracy, and it was built using Lego! Personally, I could care less if the Agori didn't look organic. They look like the sets. That's enough for me.

• Upvote 1

LEGO Republic:

The Valkyrie

The "Christmas Brick"

My BZPRPG Profiles

Now a proud member of The Kanohi Force

76561198041367047.png

That's correct. That was the Greg answer xc was partially remembering. :) (Not semi-canon; it's canon, but wasn't used elsewhere as far as I know. Probably because it was forgotten by all but us story geeks. :P I've tried to slightly help remedy that by making it clear in my retelling.)

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

May I ask how Takanuva was resurrected at the end of the movie?

Tahu; Hau (x) Pakari (x) Kakama (x) Miru (x) Akaku (x) Kaukau (x). Lewa; Hau (x) Pakari (x) Kakama (x) Miru (x) Akaku (x) Kaukau (x). Onua; Hau (x) Pakari (x) Kakama (x) Miru (x) Akaku (x) Kaukau (x). Kopaka; Hau (x) Pakari (x) Kakama (x) Miru (x) Akaku (x) Kaukau (x). Pohatu; Hau (x) Pakari (x) Kakama (x) Miru (x) Akaku (x) Kaukau (x). Gali; Hau (x) Pakari (x) Kakama (x) Miru (x) Akaku (x) Kaukau (x). 

Vakama; Huna (x) Ruru (x) Komau (x) Mahiki (x) Matatu (x) Rau (x). Matau; Huna (x) Ruru (x) Komau (x) Mahiki (x) Matatu (x) Rau (x). Whenua; Huna (x) Ruru (x) Komau (x) Mahiki (x) Matatu (x) Rau (x). Nuju; Huna (x) Ruru (x) Komau (x) Mahiki (x) Matatu (x) Rau (x). Onewa; Huna (x) Ruru (x) Komau (x) Mahiki (x) Matatu (x) Rau (x). Nokama; Huna (x) Ruru (x) Komau (x) Mahiki (x) Matatu (x) Rau (x). 
Matoran; Hau (x) Pakari (x) Kakama (x) Miru (x) Akaku (x) Huna (x) 
Rahi; Infected Hau (x) Huna (x) Kakama (x) Komau (x) Pakari (x) Ruru ()

Promotional Kanohi - Vahi (x) Chrome Hau (x) Ruru (x) TNGM (x) Copper Huna (x) Copper Komau ()

An (x) means I have, a () means I dont.

If I remember correctly, the reason the hand-magnetism was established by the story team was to explain how BIONICLE characters without actual fingers could hold things. It was thus more of an easter egg/inside reference in the movie than something that was necessary from an animation or storytelling standpoint, since in the movies the characters both had human-like fingers and used them to pick up various objects at different points in the movie.

Edited by Aanchir

Great Being revival machine. Sort of like the ones on the Red Star.

I like to think (this is just a theory, mind you) that Teridax learned of the Red Star from Mutran's secret knowledge. The idea of resurrection intrigued him, and he spent close to 79,000 years building, testing, and perfecting his own homemade revival machine in his lair. Just in case, you know. He never ended up having to use it. As for how Vakama knew how to use the machine -- remember, he has visions.

Anyway, that's how I like to explain it. Greg's given various contradictory explanations and has recently adopted the stance of "I dunno, guys, I didn't write that", so our only option is to come up with our own explanations.

• Upvote 2
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
-- Harlan Ellison

Canonically, the Matoran's hands look like they do on the set, so it makes sense to assume that they grab things magnetically (but then again, how would they grab a plant or plastic or anything non-magnetic?)

Well, if it works via an electrical charge, they could maybe grab non-magnetic objects via static cling.

Wait wait wait...

Canonically.. they don't have hands!?

Wait wait wait... Canonically.. they don't have hands!?

When the Mask of Light movie came out, the stud hand thing was retconned by Mr. Farshety.

Movie magic? Nonsense. It was perfectly explained. Why, they... Well, they... Uh...

Quick! Look at the obvious distraction!

Vakama: Yes, well, nevermind that. Listen again to the legend of the BioNicle!

Jaller: Wait, what? But we just lived through it!

Vakama: Err, err; Gathered friends, listen again to the legend, of the Bi--

Pohatu: No seriously man, what exactly was that thing? How did Takua--

Vakama: Oh, look everyone, I am obviously having a vision and not a stroke! Hmm yes Wairuha, I am listening. Okay okay. *tries to use Jedi mind trick* You will go to Voya-Nui, Mata Nui is becoming more than sleepy.

Iruni: What? Vakama, answer our question.

Dume: He's right guys, get a move on.

Jaller: Can I come?

Vakama: It worked! Thanks Wairuha. *winks*

Wairuha Spirit: *winks back*

Edited by Iaredios

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Spherus Magna redo | Tzais-Kuluu  |  Pushing Back The Tide  |  Last Words  |  Black Coronation  | Blue Man Bound | Visions of Thasos   ن

We are all but grey specks in a dark complex before a single white light

At least in the comics. Of course, they did do a movie-styled Dume in the comics, and the Agori look like their hands are fused into fists permanently.

As for how they grab things, perhaps everything in the MU is technically magnetic, since everything is protodermis. Of course, that makes Toa of Magnetism very OP.

Edited by IcarusBen

LEGO Republic:

The Valkyrie

The "Christmas Brick"

My BZPRPG Profiles

Now a proud member of The Kanohi Force

76561198041367047.png

Another thing I noticed. If Takanuva and Makuta are playing Kohlii with Energized Protodermis, then why is it that when Makuta was hit nothing happened to him.

As for Makuta, I want to say that such a small amount of the stuff wouldn't be enough to transform the entire armored beast. Or maybe he was destined to transform into that white-black blur thing and back into himself. :P

Remember that both Takanuva's and Makuta's staves turned EPE (along with the opposite element) into their respective element when flung at the opponent.

Archon                      

"For one to truly feel alive, the person must kill oneself a little bit each and every day."

Check out my MOC, one of the new generation of Toa on Spherus Magna!

***Toa Kyraan***

At least in the comics. Of course, they did do a movie-styled Dume in the comics, and the Agori look like their hands are fused into fists permanently.

As for how they grab things, perhaps everything in the MU is technically magnetic, since everything is protodermis. Of course, that makes Toa of Magnetism very OP.

That's a very good point, it could be part of Protodermis's many magical features, but that might mean they're all over on Bara Magna right now struggling to hold things without dropping them :P

pomegranate-banner-sm.png .

Remember that both Takanuva's and Makuta's staves turned EPE (along with the opposite element) into their respective element when flung at the opponent.

Interesting. Makes me wonder if EE use like that would protect someone from EP. Not sure why it would - but if one can channel one's element through normal proto, it makes sense that you could channel it through the Energized version. (But would that be on the purview of Takanuva the novice Toa?)

I'm pretty sure this will get debunked in about five seconds, but this gives me the visualization of the GBs combining Elemental Energy from the stuff that they made the Element Lords out of to get artificial proto...or something like that. Probably not energized proto directly, since proto is confirmed to be artificial, but it would seem like they might have used the combination of observations from both in their design. 

I think Takanuva would figure that out along with the Ussanui plans and other stuff that he just had locked up in his noggin you know?

Interesting thing about him and Inika is that all 7 Toa were created into being with some prior knowledge of the universe, be it that it was locked away in their head, or uncovered by organic masks. :P

Just an observation that last part haha

Archon                      

"For one to truly feel alive, the person must kill oneself a little bit each and every day."

Check out my MOC, one of the new generation of Toa on Spherus Magna!

***Toa Kyraan***

That's a very good point, it could be part of Protodermis's many magical features, but that might mean they're all over on Bara Magna right now struggling to hold things without dropping them :P

Except Tahu & Takanuva, who, thanks to Bionicle Stars, now have hands. (Tahu's can be explained by Adaptive Armor, but Takanuva? No idea...:P)

The artist formerly known as

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

BBC#69 Entry: Roodaka - Master of Manipulation

BFTGM entries: Zigben · Ventox · Deflecto

Hail Denmark.

Except Tahu & Takanuva, who, thanks to Bionicle Stars, now have hands. (Tahu's can be explained by Adaptive Armor, but Takanuva? No idea... :P)

Didn't he shed the Adaptive Armour entirely (as well as deNuvafying him) to be able to use the Golden Armour?

~ Sophistry: A way to be antidisuncorrect. ~

In a decade you might convince maybe a small tribe of people.

In a decade you might also conquer one million km2 of land,

& in over a thousand years you might have over a billion followers.

I like building things. Please don't break the big ones.

& evidential philosophies that dare to extrapolate beyond

an individual's direct experience aren't easily built.

Except Tahu & Takanuva, who, thanks to Bionicle Stars, now have hands. (Tahu's can be explained by Adaptive Armor, but Takanuva? No idea... :P)

Didn't he shed the Adaptive Armour entirely (as well as deNuvafying him) to be able to use the Golden Armour?

The Adaptive Armor transformed into a version of his original armor with gaps for the Golden armor. 

The Adaptive Armor transformed into a version of his original armor with gaps for the Golden armor. 

Hence the orange spot on Tahu's torso you don't see on his original appearance. Also an excuse for the Stars version looking different. As for Takanuva, all I know is that he used his light manipulation to change his colors to all white & silver so he wouldn't stand out as a flashy Toa of Light that a giant Teridax robot might want to crush. Maybe he has holographic fingers? :P He does have the ability to create holograms, after all.

Also, the Adaptive Armor giving Tahu fingers on Spherus Magna makes sense, since there's not very much magnetic protodermic stuff on Spherus Magna. :P

The artist formerly known as

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

BBC#69 Entry: Roodaka - Master of Manipulation

BFTGM entries: Zigben · Ventox · Deflecto

Hail Denmark.

Didn't they ALWAYS have hands!?

• Upvote 1

It varies by continuity, I think. Personally, I'm a fan of the MOL designs, so I think they do have fingers. That wouldn't make the electromagnet unnecessary, as they could use both fingers and magnet to get a firm grip on something.

• Upvote 2

:r: :e: :g: :i: :t: :n: :u: :i:

Elemental Rahi in Gen2, anyone? A write-up for an initial video for a G2 plot

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

Exactly. I never thought that those y-joint were hands... Maybe it's because I started in 2009...

I thought they had hands even before seeing the movie; the books seemed to make it clear that they had fingers and used those to pick things up.

The books didn't come out until the same year as the movie, though. In 2001 and 2002 there was nothing to indicate that the hands of the characters were any different than the ones in the sets.

Hasn't Grag said that the movie versions (first three movies) of the characters is the canon appearance; with the sets being styalized versios of them. This is how I always interpreted the Nuva hands (that piece was actually also used as Kopaka Mata's left hand).

Besides, the Mata sets had explicit hands in arms that did not hold weapons; the Toa Nuva all dual weilded there weapons. 

I don't see how the movie version can be canon. Don't they have organic tissue pulsating from their bodies?

I don't see how the movie version can be canon. Don't they have organic tissue pulsating from their bodies?

Matoran are 15% organic but the sets only show the mechanical parts.  A while ago (I think back in 2005), Greg clarified the movie appearance (including the organic tissue) is canon (he said that only the Rahaga's helicopter blades and headlights are non-canon). 

• Upvote 1