Video Game Music

JiMing

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the F-zero series.So does the Megaman, Sonic, Zelda, Mario, Street fighter, MVC, Final Fantasy, DMC, Halo, Metal Gear, Metroid, Kirby, Donkey Kong..I also like the music from shadow of the colossus and Knights of the old republic sountdtracks.Videa game music is really excellent. my video ####### favorites are almost all Video game music

Edited by Than the Moa
pulling letters out of filtered word doesn't make it ok

Gamers rise up, not down

I really like the boss music from The Legend of Zelda Spirit tracks. The Fraaz and Skeldritch (Capbone, for those of you who are PAL) are both extremely epic and suit the battles perfectly.However, the best theme is the Final Boss theme, which is mind-blowingly epic. It pumps you up for the battle, and it is just about the most beautiful thing I've ever heard.

Haven't seen one of these in a long time...

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the F-zero series.So does the Megaman, Sonic, Zelda, Mario, Street fighter, MVC, Final Fantasy, DMC, Halo, Metal Gear, Metroid, Kirby, Donkey Kong..I also like the music from shadow of the colossus and Knights of the old republic sountdtracks.Videa game music is really excellent. my video Do NOT bypass the filter. -B6 favorites are almost all Video game music

Have you tried subscribing to SupraDarky? He doles out VGMs on a daily basis. He's on VGM 1056 at the moment. Edited by Black Six

superpaper_624_1255384923.jpg

"By me... Count Bleck! The chosen executor of the Dark Prognosticus... is Count Bleck! The fine fellow prophesied to come to this dimension... is also Count Bleck!"

"115" (sung by Elena Siegman) from COD: Black Ops is just friggin epic."Farewell Hyrule King" from Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker is quite a melancholic oevrue (I looked for a fancy word for song :P ).

Edited by Makaru

"By me... Count Bleck! The chosen executor of the Dark Prognosticus... is Count Bleck! The fine fellow prophesied to come to this dimension... is also Count Bleck!"

VGOSTs and FOSTs make up the majority if not pretty much all of my music library. Legend of Zelda always has great music to it, as well as the Ace Attorney series. Portal 2 had some very nice techno themes, and the Metal Gear series always carries a epic, espionage film-like quality to its music. Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2's orchestrated tracks were also very well done.As for things not many people have mentioned before, what is with the lack of love for indie games like Cave Story, or Bastion?

Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo has some pretty awesome music, including the memetastic Guile's theme. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (especially the Cornered theme) also sounds pretty cool. Lego Racer's Tribal Island Trail and Ice Planet Pathway were also kinda catchy ^_^

Every moment gives us a chance to become more than what we are.

-Ryu, Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike: Fight for the Future

Not luck. It's what you do that makes you a hero.

-Kopaka Nuva, MoL

I have but one destiny.

-Takanuva, MoL

rtll200x160.png

>Two pages.>Ctrl + F>"NieR">One result, me.WHAT IS WITH YOU PEOPLE?!Fine, I guess I'll join you mainstream lot and name other games with good music. Onimusha has an amazing soundtrack, with Truth of Brave- Wait, that's kind of obscure. Yakuza, specifically 3, which has Lyricism Without Tears and Clay Doll in the Cradle...Oh, wait, a little unheard of too...Ar Tonelico?...Maybe it's me?

Edited by The Wretched Automaton

LzcD9OS.png

I wrote stories once. They were okay.

I'm really liking video game music,man's was very pleasantly surprised when I "discovered" it. Currently, I'm listening to some remixed tunes from Sonic 1 - 3&K (The one for the Flying Fortress stage is epicsauce), the Mega Man Maverick Hunter X soundtrack, (Because I loved the original MMX and hearing those tunes that I loved played instead of being SNES synth is epic) and a couple MMX remixed tracks. Crush 40 and Cash Cash's Sonic Boom cover hit my list recently, as well as an "Open Your Heart" remix. The original is epic. Oh, and I regularly sing Reach for the Stars from Sonic Colors.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm really liking video game music,man's was very pleasantly surprised when I "discovered" it. Currently, I'm listening to some remixed tunes from Sonic 1 - 3&K (The one for the Flying Fortress stage is epicsauce), the Mega Man Maverick Hunter X soundtrack, (Because I loved the original MMX and hearing those tunes that I loved played instead of being SNES synth is epic) and a couple MMX remixed tracks. Crush 40 and Cash Cash's Sonic Boom cover hit my list recently, as well as an "Open Your Heart" remix. The original is epic. Oh, and I regularly sing Reach for the Stars from Sonic Colors.

Zero's MMX2 theme gets a remix in his Marvel vs. Capcom 3 appearance; you may want to take a look at it.

Every moment gives us a chance to become more than what we are.

-Ryu, Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike: Fight for the Future

Not luck. It's what you do that makes you a hero.

-Kopaka Nuva, MoL

I have but one destiny.

-Takanuva, MoL

rtll200x160.png

Mirror's Edge had a good soundtrack notebly "The Shard Puzzle" it's techno but it is still awesome. Uncharted 2&3 also had good soundtrack depending on the location. Batman Arkham city had an epic soundtrack the music that played when in predator mode was awesome. I'll LIMBO had an epic soundtrack the ending theme was the best. But I still place Mirror's Edge soundtrack 1st.

overwatch-pharah-mission-statement_Thumb

• 2 weeks later...

It's a bit of an oldie, but Space Channel 5 music is nice to listen to. Also, I love the song 'Samba de Janiero' from Samba de Amigo.Skyrim has some nice tunes, but I especially love the 'Attack' tune from the game before it: Oblivion. You'd hear that music and just go crazy trying to find that one mud crab chasing you from half the map over.The song from Portal was fun. I loved finding all the radios playing that jolly little tune. 'Still Alive' is also a wonderful song when it is sung at the end.

Memoirs of the Dead entry: The Unknown Turaga, a tale from the late Chronicler Kodan's journal.

Strakk's Best Friend, the story of a confusing yet somehow canon friendship.

Terrible Comics, a collection of comics that are terrible.

• 2 weeks later...

the entire soundtrack of any halo game was epic win to me. the way the did them put emotion into the songs. and a lot of the dubstep remixes have also been really good too.

War...war never changes.

We crawl, on our knees for you,
under, a sky no longer blue,
we sweat, all day long for you.

But we sow, seeds to see us though,
cause sometimes dreams just don't come true,
we wait, to reap what we are due.

-Rise Against, Re-Education (through Labor)

and he's hacking and whacking and smacking!and he's hacking and whacking and smacking!and he's hacking and whacking and smacking!and he's hack! and he's whack!chopping that meat!fallout 3 had delicious music. i don't think any of it was developed by bethesda -which is fine since skyrim's music was so beautiful- but it was just so perfect together. it's a shame new vegas' soundtrack was so small in comparison.

3DS: 3711-9364-3152

PSN:          AidecVoros

Yeah, video game music is one of my favorite genres. I mentioned this once to people who only listened to mainstream stuff like Lady Gaga and the like. The response I got was "You're going to limit yourself to just that?" Yeah, we didn't end up becoming friends. XDDAnyway, I love Zelda music. The Flute Boy's song from A Link to the Past is by far one of my favorites (and the remixes out there are pretty good too). Also, Ballad of the Windfish from Link's Awakening is quite epic. Though, I'm also a fan of 8-Bit style music in general. Remixes of classics always amaze me.

Executive Vice President of Tomato Throwing

I love video game music, it's partly what interests me in a game. I'm currently listening to the soundtrack for the Metal Gear series (primarly Snake Eater), F-Zero, Portal series, Assassin's Creed series, and Soul Blade/Calibur series (currently listening to the Soul Calibur V soundtrack, it's amazing)

That said, I love the Assassin's Creed soundtracks, especially the Venice themes from ACII. I only just started listening to them because my copy of AC: Revelations came with a 'Best of AC Soundtracks' CD. :P

Have you listened to the Vence Rooftop Remix in Soul Calibur V? I enjoyed it just as much as the orginal.

qs34622.jpg

qs34622.jpg

A lot of the music I like has already been mentioned.Hmmm... I loved the catchy beats of Chameleon Twist, and the adorable goofiness of the music of Yoshi's Story. Mario, The Legend of Zelda, Animal Crossing and Pokemon generally have good music, too. Also, although I never play Halo I admit that the music to that game can be fantastic.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Also, has anyone mentioned BlazBlue? I love the music in those games, really one of my favorites.Also, the music from Devil May Cry is really good.

How did I forget to mention BlazBlue.... oh yeah I was busy with Soul Calibur V. lolYeah, Devil May Cry also has good music. Edited by Misguided Angel of Death

qs34622.jpg

qs34622.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Despite its docile nature, World of Goo actually has quite an ethereal and ambient soundtrack.

Edited by Mr. Fluffy

Videogame music is amazing. It makes or breaks games, because it alone can set a language free tone. Music is often the reason you will approach an aspect of a game a certain way. Is there a slow plodding techno? Then you'll probably expect puzzles. Majestic orchestral piece? You'll probably be set to explore the world. And then there's a whole new layer of depth with battle music, and themesongs, which can easily change how we perceive a character.Honestly, videogame music is one of my favourite things in the world. It isn't bound by genre, it's just made to be heard, and it's often made in a way to ensure that it doesn't get old fast, as you'll probably hear it a lot. My favourite composers, Yoko Shimomura, Nobuo Uematsu and Koji Kondo all belong to this genre, and have created, as far as I'm concerned, the greatest collections to music to be found anywhere.

I seem to like boss music, due to the feelings of intensity they can sometimes bring, or their groovy style that fits with the tone of the fight. Examples would be the Kirby Mass Attack boss music (remix of King Dedede theme), or the Mario and Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story final boss music (composed by the same person who composed for Kingdom Hearts).Though I also like background music too, the Throwback Galaxy theme from Super Mario Galaxy 2, which is one of my favorite themes ever.

I wholeheartedly share your view. I prefer the fast pace of battle music to slower pieces intended for ambiance.

I'm also surprised that nobody's mentioned Final Fantasy, but it's a known fact that those games have great music, anyways. Even though I noticed the change after Uematsu stopped doing the FF music, I like the direction It's taking, the soundtracks for FF12 and 13 were both pretty different from those of previous games, but in a good way.

I have to say, I personally disagree here. I loved the distinct, esoteric music that Nobuo Uemtasu created for the first ten Final Fantasys. The newer music seems to be slipping more into bland chords and generic fantasy. Not to say I didn't enjoy the soundtracks, in particular I liked the Final Fantasy XIII-2 soundtrack for trying something new, it just isn't very likely you'll find me humming, say, the boss theme from XIII, or the music that plays when you're on board the Bahamut in XII.

To name a composer, Yoko Shimomura is responsible for a lot of great stuff, chief among them Super Mario RPG, Kingdom Hearts, Radiant Historia, and Xenoblade.I also want to give a shout-out to the Ace Attorney games because I'm a huge fanboy their music is excellent for setting a mood. It's an absolute thrill to have any given game's "Pursuit" track kick in as you make a key deduction, and a lot of character and event themes (in particular the "Reminiscence" tracks) are superbly done.

That fact that I finally found somebody who knows what Radiant Historia is made me very happy. Yoko is a fantastic composer, my personal favourite. It doesn't matter what game she's making music for, it'll turn out fantastic, and the game will be better for it.

Okami

YES!

Okami

YES!

Ōkami has the best soundtrack ever and anyone who denies it is lying to themselves.

The Sun Rises. The Sun Rises!

I'm going to give the spotlight to an obscure video game: de Blob 2.The game was fantastic, as well as it's soundtrack. The music had a very jazz-like and groovy feel. It would also get more colorful as the world would, and would have different sounding effects depending on what color you were.Both the music and the game were great, and it's a shame almost nobody knows what it is.

Totally agree. de Blob (Both of them) are an excellent meld of music and gameplay, the music you achieve at the end of a level really drives home your accomplishment.

All this time, and no mention of the Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2 soundtracks? :o

The soundtrack for both games is quite good, but for some reason I just don't listen to them out-of-game that much. I guess it's because oftentimes the music is sort of secondary in the game, so it doesn't get as well associated with particular moments in my mind. Still, both are quite strong, and I'm looking forward to what ME3's team can do.
In my experience, Mass Effect music is fairly repetitive, on its own, this doesn't make it very special. Only with the context of the game does the music become special. Therefore, I think the greater attachment one has to Mass Effect, the better the music will appear, because they can easily draw the memory of when the music plays.That said, Suicide Mission is fantastic, no matter what.

Another video game with good music: Sonic the Hedgehog (the 2005 video game). Its main menu theme is epic -- or maybe I just have a bias toward staccato violins. :P

Staccato Violins FOR THE WIN!

Right now, I can't get The Price of Freedom, from Final Fantasy 7: Crisis Core out of my head. It is such a beautiful song.

This music MADE the ending. It would not have been anywhere near as sad without it.

I really like the boss music from The Legend of Zelda Spirit tracks. The Fraaz and Skeldritch (Capbone, for those of you who are PAL) are both extremely epic and suit the battles perfectly.However, the best theme is the Final Boss theme, which is mind-blowingly epic. It pumps you up for the battle, and it is just about the most beautiful thing I've ever heard.

Spirit Tracks is probably my favourite overall Zelda soundtrack, there are individual songs I like better from other games, but the whole soundtrack of Spirit Tracks pleases me, from Byrne's theme, to the excellent boss music, to the refreshing overworld theme. It's all great. All the time.It's also the only modern Zelda soundtrack I wholeheartedly enjoy...Videogame music is really something special. If somebody is reading this topic, and doesn't recognize the music, look it up NOW.I've ready found some great songs I never would have found without this topic.But you know what surprises me? The lack of mention for Bionicle music. Every Bionicle game I can think off the top of my head had some great tracks, from the GBA games, to The Game, to Heroes, and of course, the MNOLGs.To this day, Avak's battle theme from the console version of Heroes is one of my favourite music tracks, period. And I will never forget the Matoran theme, or the Lewa vs Onua theme.Ah...This topic makes me happy.

um_banner.gif

"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes."

-Douglas Adams

Well would you look at that, this topic is alive.And with that, I'll also mention some more music as usual.The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time is not only a great game, but it has a great soundtrack. It's limited by the N64 hardware, but is beautiful in it's simplicity.And there's also a game probably not many of you have heard about, Sakura Samurai: Art of the Sword. Every track in that game is beautiful, from the intro music, the battle musics, the boss music, and especially the final boss music. Each theme also perfectly conveys the emotion in every scene, from sadness to hopefulness, from excitement to urgency. I love the music as well as the game.

Haven't seen one of these in a long time...

Adding to the Zelda music I'm saying not only OoT, but Majora's Mask. The Song of Healing yal. Talk about a song played during the most emotional parts of the game. Incredibly beautiful. Not only that but the Deku Palace and the Astrology Center or whatever it was called. <3A good buddy of mine gave me the Okami Piano Soundtrack. It is one of the Greatest Video Game Soundtracks ever. Wep'keer and Reset. Also I love Metroid music. It has a deep moody sense that changes depending on the environment. Super Metroid's sound track is a classic, and Metroid Prime's Trilogy is just lovely.

Also I love Metroid music. It has a deep moody sense that changes depending on the environment. Super Metroid's sound track is a classic, and Metroid Prime's Trilogy is just lovely.

The trilogy does have some very good music like the battle against Metroid Prime that was amazing.
I'm just ToaD

Heeeeey...I made this topic on the old BZP! D:Alright; favorite game music...I'll start with Okami, the obvious choice. All the music in that game is great, but in particular I like the Shinshu Field/Overworld music. Next the Metroid series. I like the Hydrodynamo music from Echoes. I think that was a remix of something from Super Metroid...hrrm. Also the title music for Metroid Prime 3 was beautiful. The Metroid Prime version of the series theme that you hear in that rainy area towards the start of the game is really good as well.Minecraft has pretty good music. :PThe Zelda series has a lot of my favorites...Dragon Roost Island from Wind Waker, Song of Healing from Majora's Mask, Lost Woods in OoT, the Overworld music in Twilight Princess, Midna's Lament...all good stuff. The Mario series has some catchy themes in its games; Slider from 64 is probably the hardest music to get out of your head ever made. Super Mario Galaxy 2 had a lot of good ones, especially the version of the Bowser Castle Theme. Donkey Kong Country impresses me with the music it had for its time, Returns has really great music as well. Loved the rocket barrel theme in Returns.Lastly, I played Pokemon Emerald a lot as a young'n, a lot of music from that game is perpetually embedded into my head. Especially the music on the route leading out of Slateport City...Think that's about it. =P

Generation reeeeeeeeeeeee: If you see this, don't copy it into your signature. Get off your computer. Go outside! Go for a walk! Appreciate the beauty of the world while you're young and energetic and full of unwarranted enthusiasm. 

Well:MetroidMarioYoshi (that might count as Mario, though)ALL the Bionicle music (from the games, mostly)The music from LEGO Indiana Jones and LEGO Star Wars (thought it is the same music as from the movies)Actually, I think my iPod Nano is completely filled up with this music right now.

rsz_screenshot_from_un_chien_andalou.jpg
My Writing Blog (more writing coming soon!)

My Bionicle/LEGO Blog (defunct)

Hyfudiar on Spotify (noise/drone/experimental music)

Yoshi (that might count as Mario, though)

The Yoshi series actually does have pretty good music, and it's very stylistically different from Mario music, so yeah.If the credits song to Yoshi's Story don't make you tear up, I'm afraid you have no souuuuul. D: (The rest of that game's soundtrack was meh though.)

cholslegofursig.png

Latest MOC:

Ol' Dusty

Next the Metroid series. I like the Hydrodynamo music from Echoes. I think that was a remix of something from Super Metroid...hrrm. Also the title music for Metroid Prime 3 was beautiful. The Metroid Prime version of the series theme that you hear in that rainy area towards the start of the game is really good as well.

The Prime Series. <3 Love love love those themes. Also, because I'm a geek about it, the Hydrodynamo Station theme (which I also love) is the Red Brinstar theme remixed from Super Metroid, while the Tallon Overworld's first theme is from the first Metroid's Brinstar theme.But yes, specific themes I love most from those games are Magmoor Caverns, Phendrana Drifts, Thardus battle, Temple Grounds, Torvus Bog, Quadraxis battle, Cliffside Bryyo, Elysia, Gandrayda battle, Rundas battle, Aurora Unit battle, and Corruption's main/ending theme. That last one ... oh, geez, is it good. When I first heard it after being the game, due to playing on a Trilogy copy, I think I choked up a little. (Actually, it's hard to find a theme from these games I don't like.)Other games with great music include Pokemanz, Donkey Kong Country, and Kirby. Those all have awesome themes as well, especially DKC Returns (Retro Studios why are you so awesome?) and Pokemon B/W.~B~ Edited by Ballom

Pendrena Drifts from Metroid Prime 1, both versions of the song, are just FANTASTIC and NOSTALGIC. It's such soothing, calm music, well the first is, the second is a little more actiony. But yeah, thats definitly my favorite Video game music. Then theres some songs from Sonic Adventure and Sonic Adventure 2 which were also amazing. As well as some zelda songs, like the song of time, Epona's song, etc.

Ghost_in_the_Shell_Sig_by_aose.jpg

"And where does the newborn go from here? The net is vast and infinite."

• 2 weeks later...

I LOVE the music from Guitar Hero! :PSmash Hits is my favorite GH game. It's the only one in the GH series that I've PLAYED that I like most of the songs.According to the game's setlist form GH 2, GH2 must be URSUM!

I've only played GH3, but I definitely loved the song selection in the game. Killswitch Engage, Metallica, Slayer, Dragonforce, all sorts of great bands!