Two Powers, One Mask. Or Not?

This is a thing I've always been wondering about: could be it possible? I mean, the fact a Mask could handle two Powers at the same time? In better words, could a Toa be "double powered", which means he/she could use two Powers?I know it sounds kinda absurde, but, as for what I know, it's never been explained. I think it is possible, but I could be also wrong, eh.I don't know if you understand what I mean, so in case of doubt ask me.

Edited by Emile A239

Well, I know that when three Toa merge into a Toa Kaita, their masks are merged as well, creating a Kanohi Mask with the ability to use all three powers. But aside from this method, I'm not sure if its possible create a kanohi Mask with more than one power.

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

Well, there are the Aki and Rua, which each contain 3 mask powers each. So I don't see any reason why it wouldn't be possible. Just aim the Spear of Fusion at two Kanohi and there you go.

That's good point. But the spear's broken. But who's to say if you dump a cart load of Kanohi into some EP, at least one multiple-powered mask will come out?

WIP

As far as we know, Kanoka combinations create a mask with a single ability - that can be used for multiple purposes sometimes. It takes focus to maintain a Kaita and the combination of mask powers that come with it, so I don't believe a multi-powered Kanohi can be created (or sustained) through normal mask making. And regarding exposure to EP to bring about a combination Kanohi, well, I suppose if it's destined to be.-Ced

The Golden Masks also contained the powers of the six that had been fused into them, but still the Toa could only use one power at a time. So evidently it is possible to stuff several different powers into one mask, but as Cederak says it can most likely not be done through Kanoka-molding. Mixing Kanoka would presumably cause the powers to mix as well, so in that case I believe the Matoran would have to make two separate batches first and then mix them when they have "settled". Unfortunately, this would cause a second instance of energy loss, and if only disks above mid-level even retain enough power to become proper Kanohi in the first place, then I guess we can say ~5 levels worth of power leaks out during the process, and therefore a second leak would make the mask become powerless.Toa Nuva can share powers, though i doubt that requires as much focus as applying the power several times over would. Via sharing the Toa Nuva can use several powers at once, such as both speed and flight (shown while escaping the Bohrok nest, for example), so there is no conflict in effects. Seemingly they also don't need to think about using that power themselves, especially since it's been said that Gali could technically choke people on land by forcefully sharing her mask power with them. Now, whether a Toa could use two powers at once by themselves? Maybe, but I doubt it.

It's quite possible since Greg confirmed an infinite variety of powers can be mixed with protodermis. Among that infinite variety, surely some mixes would enable Golden-Kanohi-like doubling up. But none are known of, so I could be wrong (perhaps it's only an infinite variety of single powers).Either way, it would seem that since Golden Kanohi can be made, various other numbers of powers in one mask can be made too. (Or maybe Golden Kanohi are made by a Kanoka mixture... we don't really know, do we?)

Edited by bonesiii

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

Hmm, that's a tough question. The Mata/Nuva did it with the Golden and Nuva Kanohi, but I guess they kind of had special powers for it. It seems to me that at least at some point, either the mask or the Toa would just dissolve or something from all of the power, similar to wearing a great mask. No idea where that point is, maybe it depends on the mask.

The Great Mahiki has two powers. The user can shafeshift and create illusions.

But those are different usages of the same power. Sort of like Luffy from One Piece being able to stretch or inflate himself.
I don't know... if Matau's shapeshifting into Nidhiki and Krekka in LoMN was just an illusion, how could he grow wings and fly when he first discovered his mask power?

If you use correct grammar in your posts (or try hard to), place this in your signature. Join Myst's campaign for correct grammar usage on BZPower!

But those are different usages of the same power. Sort of like Luffy from One Piece being able to stretch or inflate himself.
I don't know... if Matau's shapeshifting into Nidhiki and Krekka in LoMN was just an illusion, how could he grow wings and fly when he first discovered his mask power?
Toa_Metru_Matau.jpg

aouROFb.png

Matau discovered his mask power in that sequence? I thought he was just using his aero slicers and air power to fly...or to try to fly. :)Anyway, I'm going to say that it is possible. The Matoran don't know how to do it via mask-making, but it can be done.Somebody created a machine in Kini-Nui that could. Was that just normal fusion, or was there something special?

If such a mask did exist, you would probably not run into too many problems with possibilities, such as with the golden masks, but 2 powers at once would presumeably require a vast amount of mental discipline (say twice as much as a guess), so you would either need a toa with the correct mental state or a greater being, like most Order of Mata Nui members for example.

Divinator of Dreams.
4hcuu9.jpg
This Is Proud Stigma.

If such a mask did exist, you would probably not run into too many problems with possibilities, such as with the golden masks, but 2 powers at once would presumeably require a vast amount of mental discipline (say twice as much as a guess), so you would either need a toa with the correct mental state or a greater being, like most Order of Mata Nui members for example.

That is, assuming that one can use two powers at once with a mask. We know that Toa can only use one power at a time - in fact, even Makuta, who have a lot of mental ability, can only use one power at a time. Whether that has to do with mental ability or something else remains unknown.

That is, assuming that one can use two powers at once with a mask. We know that Toa can only use one power at a time - in fact, even Makuta, who have a lot of mental ability, can only use one power at a time. Whether that has to do with mental ability or something else remains unknown.
I could be very wrong, but I thought it was talked about with the Toa Hordika, specifically that their masks would no longer serve then specifically because of the untame animal like parts of their minds*. Even though it was a conjecture, it did imply that the mental aspect was vital to using their masks.*This was mentioned in the comics, I think it was the issue where they became Hordika, or somewhere around there, I do remember Norik being the one who mentioned it. Though like you said, we don't have a direct answer as to whether or not it was fact.Your point on the Makuta does hint that it is perhaps impossible (assuming it is true which I would not be surprised), except perhaps to higher beings like Mata Nui or a Great Being, and while we have not seen a GB, it is doubtful that they actually use masks, assuming I am right then the point is moot, and for the most part Mata Nui does not wear them either (aside from being sealed in one). Edited by Lazarus

Divinator of Dreams.
4hcuu9.jpg
This Is Proud Stigma.

I could be very wrong, but I thought it was talked about with the Toa Hordika, specifically that their masks would no longer serve then specifically because of the untame animal like parts of their minds*. Even though it was a conjecture, it did imply that the mental aspect was vital to using their masks.*This was mentioned in the comics, I think it was the issue where they became Hordika, or somewhere around there, I do remember Norik being the one who mentioned it. Though like you said, we don't have a direct answer as to whether or not it was fact.Your point on the Makuta does hint that it is perhaps impossible (assuming it is true which I would not be surprised), except perhaps to higher beings like Mata Nui or a Great Being, and while we have not seen a GB, it is doubtful that they actually use masks, assuming I am right then the point is moot, and for the most part Mata Nui does not wear them either (aside from being sealed in one).
I agree with you as to a mental link between the ability to use Mask powers and mental abilities. However, being able to use more than one mask power at a time may not be possible for MU inhabitants even if they had the mental abilities to use it. I agree that it's the most likely explanation, seeing as it is difficult mentally to control two powers at once. Just thinking about the possibility of trying to use the Pakari and Kakama at the same time makes my head ache.

Pakari + Kakama doesn't sound so complicated. It just means you're fast and strong. For a headache, consider using the Mask of Psychometry and the Mask of Clairvoyance at once. :P I suppose the Mask of Growth and Mask of Diminishment would just cancel each other out...Anyway, Kaita can use more than one of their three Kanohi powers at a time, right? It would make sense for them, since their minds are made of multiple weaker minds.

My Blog

Latest Update: RPG: Character Creation and Stats

My Story Collection

Story Currently in Progress:

End of Yrenta (Review Topic) (Currently at 55 Chapters)

I realize I haven't updated my stories or posted much for quite a while. I will get back it it sometime, and I am still checking the site daily for any interesting topics.

Brickshelf Gallery

I'm not sure if it was ever stated, but since the minds are "merged" I always thought of Kaita as having just one power at a time still. It seems to me that the whole deal with Suva and/or golden masks are the Matoran's way of letting Toa circumvent the "one power at a time" rule, by shortening the time it takes to switch. So the Suva teleport the Kanohi onto your face over the course of a second or two, while a golden mask can switch between powers instantly.

I'm not sure if it was ever stated, but since the minds are "merged" I always thought of Kaita as having just one power at a time still.

BS01's Rua page says:

The powers could be activated separately or in combination.

As someone said above this is probably because it's three minds in one, so even though it's a single merged mind, it has the capacity of three. Think of it as a hive mind; acting as one unit but still each is capable of its own thought.

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

Well, there are the Aki and Rua, which each contain 3 mask powers each. So I don't see any reason why it wouldn't be possible. Just aim the Spear of Fusion at two Kanohi and there you go.

That's good point.But the spear's broken.But who's to say if you dump a cart load of Kanohi into some EP, at least one multiple-powered mask will come out?
EP destroys whoever/whatever comes into contact with it unless it/he/she/they are destined to be affected in some other way. For example, the Mata were destined to become Nuva. If some Kanohi destined to merge contact EP, yes, they will merge. But that is purely hypothetical, because chances are, they would be destroyed.

Actually it's not purely hypothetical because Takutanuva's mask was the fusion of the masks of Light and Shadow. I don't recall what effect that had on their powers though, nor have time to check now...

Actually it's not purely hypothetical because Takutanuva's mask was the fusion of the masks of Light and Shadow. I don't recall what effect that had on their powers though, nor have time to check now...

True, I had forgotten about that. From BS01:

As the Mask of Light and Shadow was the result of the Avohkii and Kraahkan being fused together, it allowed its user to access all of the powers of both masks, including Light, Shadow, understanding, anger, and fear. The mask could also be used to sense the moral Light and Shadow of a being. Although the mask was one of the few Elemental Kanohi, it did not boost any pre-existing Elemental Light or Shadow powers Takutanuva had.

There are almost infinite combinations of discs that can be used to make Kanohi... But I think it's safe to assume your avarage Kanohi can't hold more than one power. However, I think Kanohi fusion is a possible answer to the many powers one mask question.

~Malakyr~

• 2 weeks later...

I assume it is possible, given the Aki and Rua, the Golden Masks of the Toa Mata and Nuva, and the assumption that mask powers would combine if two wearers (most likely toa, but makuta are also a possibility) are hit by energy from the Spear of Fusion. If it wasn't broken, of course. It could have been done before the Spear's destruction however.

The_Brotherhood_of_Makuta_by_Arzeron.jpg

Comply. Create. Consume.

I imagine the Aki and Rua are examples, as well as things resulting from the effects of the Spear of Fusion. Let's also not forget the hybrid mask briefly worn by Takutanuva. But other than that, I don't think dual-powered masks would be possible in essence.

Nuparu1995

92% of teens have moved onto rap.

If you are part of the 8% that still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your signature.

320px-0,540,38,392-Batman_memorial.jpg

R.I.P. - 7/20/2012