BZPRPG News and Discussion

Nuju Metru

Dangerous ... people?

Yes.. dangerous nearly non-existant npcs.. Vadiru.. dogs of the fursics.. one of the only clans that openly support the fursics

u9et1dt.gif

Banner made by Onaku

BZPRPG CHARACTERS

Syvra-Tivanu

If you interact with one of my characters and I don't respond or acknowledge the interaction within a day, send me a PM. Odds are I missed or did not see the post.

Eh... Hmm.. not sure how much i should reveal in this topic.. Read the Clan Vadiru wiki page and the first post in the kentoku topic and it may make a bit more sense..

u9et1dt.gif

Banner made by Onaku

BZPRPG CHARACTERS

Syvra-Tivanu

If you interact with one of my characters and I don't respond or acknowledge the interaction within a day, send me a PM. Odds are I missed or did not see the post.

And a non-Dasaka character?

:a: :k: :i:

Well then I got nothing for ya at the moment.

u9et1dt.gif

Banner made by Onaku

BZPRPG CHARACTERS

Syvra-Tivanu

Hi guys, just to let you all know that it's the beginning of a VERY busy week for me, and I'm not really feeling the posting energy atm so I may be a little inactive until Monday. Sorry to have this happen just as the game seems to be revving back up into activity, but that's the way the cookie crumbles...

sig_panel_bzprpg.pngsig_panel_profiles.pngsig_panel_flickr.pngsig_panel_steam.pngsig_panel_n7.png

The Ostia group.

Oh, and sorry for the inactivity. Sickness and all...

I occasionally return to BZP for a nostalgic trip back. Hit me up on discord if you need anything. 

BZPRPG Characters that I will possibly revive, Mons-Shajs-Tarotrix-Aryll Vudigg-Jorruk Yokin-Senavysh Angavur

I have a question about character creation: how do you think up of names for your character? And if they are Toa, do you choose masks that suit the character's fighting style?

About the names thing... not sure where I get them from, I think I just make them up on the fly most of the time. When it comes to characters with elements (which all of mine are, give or take two Dasaka) there's a certain temptation to include their elemental prefix somewhere in the name, like the original Toa Mata: Ta-hu, Onu-a, Po-hatu etc.

I did do that with Ferron, whose element you can now probably guess, and also with my Matoran inventor Farzan. Most of the time, however, my names come from dozens of random sources or figments of inspiration, with a little effort to make them sound Bionicle-esque.

Mask; well, this applies not just to Toa, but also to Kanohi-wearing Lesterin, and Turaga if you're generous (and I know you guys are). To answer the question... both yes and no, see, I prefer to look at a broader picture: what is this character like? What does this character do? What friends and enemies do they have?

How they fight plays an important role, but at the end of the day the application of masks is a bit broader of a territory for me.

BZPRPG Profiles

Nuparu-Ferron-Mar-Zelvin-Wiremu-Farzan-Mako-Krex-Tamachan-???

Akiri Nuparu Posts:

1. 2. ...

Press random keys. It works.

Watch.

AIOUT.

Aiout is a brilliant name, ain't it?

Maskwise, I go for any random one.

Let's try it.

ELWIJ

JSEIO

FHEWU

It's actually pretty good.

I have a question about character creation: how do you think up of names for your character? And if they are Toa, do you choose masks that suit the character's fighting style?

About the names thing... not sure where I get them from, I think I just make them up on the fly most of the time. When it comes to characters with elements (which all of mine are, give or take two Dasaka) there's a certain temptation to include their elemental prefix somewhere in the name, like the original Toa Mata: Ta-hu, Onu-a, Po-hatu etc.

I did do that with Ferron, whose element you can now probably guess, and also with my Matoran inventor Farzan. Most of the time, however, my names come from dozens of random sources or figments of inspiration, with a little effort to make them sound Bionicle-esque.

Mask; well, this applies not just to Toa, but also to Kanohi-wearing Lesterin, and Turaga if you're generous (and I know you guys are). To answer the question... both yes and no, see, I prefer to look at a broader picture: what is this character like? What does this character do? What friends and enemies do they have?

How they fight plays an important role, but at the end of the day the application of masks is a bit broader of a territory for me.

Hmm, never thought of masks that way... I mean I've never had a character use a mask in a social interaction...

Also, now I know how Farzan got his name. :P

For Matoran/Toa/Skakdi/Vortixx: I either use the first piece of gibberish that comes to my head (as long as it sounds good), or I choose some obscure name that nobody in the English speaking world is going to have.

Dasaka: I try to find an existing Japanese word/name that fits their personality.

For names, it varies. Alot of my characters I made long before the RPG, and I just made something random(Rerus, Oriak, Gravus); now, I mostly use Google translate and figure out what word X is in language Y(Ignitus, for instance, in Latin for "fiery").

:a::k::i:

Edited by The Nold

Xbox LIVE: FlamingCheese77

BZPRPG Profiles: http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/9733-bzprpg-profile-pages/?p=547516

~Ignitus~Rerus~Xadah~Moeru~Rida~Turi~Sokia~Kashikoi~Yujin~Bani~Waru~Tasuke~Therin~Diabhal~

When coming up with a name for a character, I normally just play around with syllables until I get something that I like and that sounds sufficiently Bionicle-y enough; sometimes this will have slight inspirations from things that in some way relate to the characters (it's no coincidence that Lohkar, a consummate trickster, has a name that sounds similar to Loki), or in the case of Dasaka characters, that conforms loosely to Japanese word structures.

Sometimes, however, I do turn to real-world languages - though I try to use relatively obscure ones such as Maori or Sanskrit. Echelon is obviously an English word (but is that really his name? ;) ), and 'Korero' is the Maori word for 'to tell'.

This is a personal thing, and I mean no offence to people who do this, but I don't like Latin names for characters, especially the more obvious ones; something about them just doesn't click with the Bionicle setting for me. I guess it's because I've studied Latin, and the words are just too familiar XD

As for masks, well, that's a good question. I tend to give a lot of thought to what powers I give a character - I never give them something they're never going to use. But it's important to remember that combat is not the only situation a BZPRPG character will find themselves in. Generally, I just try to give them the mask that best suits the role I've got planned for them.

sig_panel_bzprpg.pngsig_panel_profiles.pngsig_panel_flickr.pngsig_panel_steam.pngsig_panel_n7.png

I just slap a bunch of syllables together that sound good (A la ZAE-Rohn, or OH-KAH-Joe), or just come up with names that vaugely fit whatever culture I'm basing a character off of. Like my two Dasaka that I never use.

come to think of it i only seem to use Xaron mainly now...

1Ydp0mg.jpg

Steam name: Ehksidian

I come up with names through several different ways: sometimes I fit together different syllables to get that Bionicle-sounding name, other times they are based off other names, or just sound cool. At this point though, I usually just recycle names that I've already made before, since hardly any of you were around when I last used them anyway. :P

For masks, I just try to choose a mask I've never RP'd with before and don't worry about fighting style. It's always better to mold your character based on personality, experience, and how you want to develop them from a character perspective, than on fighting ability. Ingenuity in writing will tend to trump any sort of mask power or element anyway.

"hey girl: here’s an idea, but… it’s up to you:

You’re the boss of this operation."

[BZPRPG Profile] [Ghosts of Bara Magna Profile]

For me regarding names I just try and think of things that come to my mind. Syvra was a completely random name while Celis was a name from a character of mine on another game. So yeah most of the time names are just random things that come to my mind or sound good. Voulge being one of those exceptions

But regarding Kanohi. Unlike most I like to think if i could really play that mask. For example when Syvra originally had a mask of illusion and I could think of so many things i could do with that mask. So basically in simple If I don't feel comfortable rping that mask then I likely won't use it.

u9et1dt.gif

Banner made by Onaku

BZPRPG CHARACTERS

Syvra-Tivanu

Press random keys. It works.

Let's try it.

ELWIJ

JSEIO

FHEWU

It's actually pretty good.

Hmmm.....Ima try.

####.

I tend to come up with a name that somewhat follows a theme that the character is "in", but otherwise it's just a whole bunch of inspirations that I've taken.

GT: Jl1223 X <----add me :3

(╯◕_◕)╯

BZPRPG Profiles 2013

My standard is usually referring to a Maori dictionary, after which I make adjustments to work best for me. For instance, Utu Kotore's root words (in Maori) roughly translate to "Vengeful Fear". Other than that, sometimes I'll just choose what fits. Tuara's first name translates to "to help" or "to support", but her last name (Drigton) literally just sounded nice to me so I picked it.

As for masks, I don't like having duplicates for any of my characters, so taking that into consideration I've tried to start picking less conventional masks. The mask and element I choose for them usually is part of what I use to define their fighting style!

samusbzpsig2.png.4c2dcd02e48c2219fb375b936c4a17ee.png
| BZPRPG Profiles |

I don't think I've actually ever participated in these discussions. All the cool questions come up when life makes me otherwise indisposed. XD Now that I have some time I want to back up and answer 'cause it looks like so much fun! Besides the writing parable "you just do it," I tend to follow this chain of thought...

The maori online dictionaries are really where I go when I start working on names, that is if I don't immediately have one. Like in the case of Draeverian Joskiir I knew I wanted a character who was a rapper, and that just led me to think of Doctor Dre, and from there the full name came to DJ. So that was just a side-think I guess, because usually I'm really into the etymology from a maori perspective.

In the case of using Kanohi I always like to go out on a limb and try something that really is not very prominent, like a more unique plays style, and just roll with the punches as the game goes because that offers character development.

A brief update on my activity for anyone who may care:

I planned to get everything back in order to start posting last week - my spring break - but due to circumstances both within my control and beyond it that didn't happen. This week has been inordinately busy and it looks like this weekend is going to be pretty full as well, but I'm hoping to find the time and the motivation to get some profiles knocked out and approvals submitted etc. within the next few days.

Looking forward to RPing with you all in the near future.

Q2TtLEz.png

Mata-Nui Weekly for 3/18-25/2014

Onu-, Le-, and Ta-, still to be added. Our apologies for the inconvenience. ~MNW Crew

EDIT:

Query: do NPCs actually forge masks in this game? I know mask forging is apparently off-limits for PC characters, but plenty of PCs have custom mask shapes, or masks of one power shaped as another. Do the kanohi shops PCs frequent when changing masks have their own forges, or do they scavenge masks from the dead and/or the wild? Also, if mask forging is done by NPCs, would PCs have a certain limited knowledge of how it works?

Edited by Hatachi

I remember someone changing their mask in-game by visiting a PC-controlled forge and having said character forge a new mask. The old was simply discarded, as per the rules.

Personally I've always been kind of puzzled about how characters could otherwise change masks outside of stealing them or being granted them as a reward, which leaves a very narrow window not open to most players.

BZPRPG Profiles

Nuparu-Ferron-Mar-Zelvin-Wiremu-Farzan-Mako-Krex-Tamachan-???

Akiri Nuparu Posts:

1. 2. ...

I've always assumed both that a) there's an excess quantity of masks on the island that nobody uses and b) the material masks are made of retains its powers when melted down. This would allow mask makers to forge old masks into new shapes; creating new masks wouldn't be necessary.

Q2TtLEz.png

I remember it being required that you got it from an NPC, since PCs could not forge new masks. There are probably a few master forgers on the island that know how to make masks. Everybody else buys from them.

"I serve the weak. I serve the helpless. I am their sword and their shield. If you want to strike at them, you must go through me, and I am not so easily moved."

zsUPm2E.jpg?1

Mask-swapping by way of a purchase from a vendor is highly frowned upon. Nobody should know how to forge masks and there shouldn't be a surplus to take from, either. Kanohi shops, either run by NPCs out of convenience or by PCs by specification would also be massive targets for theft, terrorism or the like. Think about it: Kanohi are highly prized for the powers they afford to a wearer, and the more a person or group has of them the more they can switch and diversify their powers, which is dangerous and volatile and would violate the regulation on mask powers.

Bottom line: There are no shops to get masks from.

If you do want to change masks you absolutely may do so. I've done it myself, for that matter. Either you can do it quietly, which is acceptable if the current mask hasn't been a mainstay or the character is relatively new, or as a device for character development, such as having the mask broken and then looting a Kanohi from another character (PC much preferred).

You must understand the primary reason for this regulation is simply to ensure that people aren't changing their mask and mask powers regularly to suit whatever they want anytime. It's in the interest of fairness and in-universe logic that every character has only one mask and is stuck with it by and large. So long as the mask change isn't on a whim, doesn't infringe on fairness and is done because the current mask really doesn't work for your character anymore, then it's permissible.

• Upvote 5