RPG Forum Contest 28

Black Six

Might have an idea...Depends on how far I can stretch the idea of puppet... Quick question, the villain behind the villain, how much do they have to actually appear, if at all?

Yes, they do have to appear somewhat significantly.

Hmmm... I did have a good idea for an RPG premise, but I'll have to either tweak it or write something new.I do have a question that should influence my decision: Does the antagonist have to be a person, if you get what I mean?

They have to be a sentient entity.

Man, I have the perfect idea for this. If I could get someone who would most definitely be a dedicated host for me, I could write something up and shoot it their way for inspiration. I've actually had this idea bouncing around since I started to drift away from BZP, and it would probably bring me back for a season.

Just know that it will/would be somewhat heavily influenced by League of Legends.

Also, Black Six, clarifying for those who might not be fully understanding what you think is sentient: Could it be an actual puppet with an enchantment of some sort that lets it act on its own, maybe even speak, but isn't actually alive. Say a mask of reanimation or a maybe a direct mask of puppetry.

This is a signature that describes me as a person. Lazy, dry, and overall just a procra...

*insert placeholder signature here*

Also, Black Six, clarifying for those who might not be fully understanding what you think is sentient: Could it be an actual puppet with an enchantment of some sort that lets it act on its own, maybe even speak, but isn't actually alive. Say a mask of reanimation or a maybe a direct mask of puppetry.

It could be a robot or other entity that seems alive, yes.

question: the villain controlling the villain, can he be the puppet? like, you have the main villain that's being puppeted, but the person that is puppeting the villain is being puppeted, if that makes any sense.

As it says in the the first post of the topic:

theme: your RPG must feature a villain who turns out to be a puppet controlled by someone else.

It doesn't say there can be only one puppet. It says there has to be a villain who turns out to be controlled by someone else.

question: the villain controlling the villain, can he be the puppet? like, you have the main villain that's being puppeted, but the person that is puppeting the villain is being puppeted, if that makes any sense.

As it says in the the first post of the topic:

theme: your RPG must feature a villain who turns out to be a puppet controlled by someone else.

It doesn't say there can be only one puppet. It says there has to be a villain who turns out to be controlled by someone else.

Yes, that's correct. I suppose you can have multiple layers of puppetry, although I'd personally be afraid it might be confusing to the players.

To be more specific, could a construct be the puppet? Basically, inanimate materials grouped together and animated by someone's power, with their own abilities, actions, and even speech channeled through it.

Also, again, if anyone is willing to collaborate with me (and quite possible Lloyd), shoot me a PM. One more dedicated co-host would be excellent.

Edited by Toa of Dancing

This is a signature that describes me as a person. Lazy, dry, and overall just a procra...

I've just posted my entry, Tides, and am open to feedback. Before you ask -- yes, there's a villain; yes, he's important; and yes, he is a puppet. I'm just not telling you who the villain is.

It's the Skopio. I'm calling it right now, it's that evil Skopio. Always watching... always waiting... with those giant, but way undersized eyes.... *shiver*

I'll have a review done soon enough.

-Toa Levacius Zehvor :flagusa:

"I disapprove of what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

- Evelyn Beatrice Hall (often attributed to Voltaire)

Which, while I hated it when I first started (I honestly believed back in 2010 that an RPG being longer meant it was superior, silly fool that I was) I have come to appreciate it more.

I'm finding this newfound love of shortness just a little hard to believe based on the fact that you just posted a review that was only 88 words short of being twice the length of the game it was reviewing!

:P

This post contains those last eighty eight words you needed.

ppg2.png

Which, while I hated it when I first started (I honestly believed back in 2010 that an RPG being longer meant it was superior, silly fool that I was) I have come to appreciate it more.

I'm finding this newfound love of shortness just a little hard to believe based on the fact that you just posted a review that was only 88 words short of being twice the length of the game it was reviewing!

:P

This post contains those last eighty eight words you needed.

That depends entirely on the situation, of course. :lookaround:

I, for one, have a tendency to talk just a tad too much, and it carries over to writing. I'm quite willing to admit that as a flaw that I'd like to work on improving. Keep in mind, I've written character profiles exceeding two thousand words in the past. This little writing experiment was not difficult to conjure up.

The thing is - an RPG is better the less words you can say it in. Why? Because it's easier and quicker to read. It sells better.

The review was long because I had a lot to say, and only a small group of people really have any reason to read it, and even then, it's not obligated. Contrast this to RPGs; if you haven't read every RPG in the contest, you cannot fairly evaluate them alongside each other. That's a fact.

Even then, though, I do think that people should at least consider looking over the reviews and start thinking good and hard on the RPGs present and look at them at more than face value. Actual analysis is a great way to conceive character ideas. And I encourage everyone to actually write their own as well. These RPGs aren't meant to be the effort of a few few people; it's meant to be a group effort, with everyone putting in their say and at least making sure their opinion on matters is known.

The thing I can't stand is people saying "Bah, I don't like this RPG idea" or "None of these RPGs appeal to me" without actually explaining why, because people refusing to make commentary destroys all potential for improvement in RPGs.

I think I might have just proved you point, Lorax. :P

"I disapprove of what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

Heel, boy. It's not debate time yet.

Nor is it "write an exposition based upon my views of another person's comment just to 'accidentally' prove them right" time.

The first is debatable; it's always time for the latter. :P

At some point in the above statement, though, it went from 'response to comment' to 'excuse to make my views on a matter known'. I probably would have cut that out had it been too nonsensical, but since I put that much effort into typing it up... eh, just leave it. Someone will care.

So, I have officially decided to enter this contest. If any of you remember City of the Dead from several contests ago, you might have a bit of an idea of what this RPG, City of the Dead, will look like. Most notably I'm cutting down factions, which IMO is what spelled the utter ruin of Strike From the Shadows. This will be a somewhat sandbox RPG and...

I really dislike this theme... I did find something that works for it though.

B6, I have this idea, and I'm thinking about it. My question is:

Does the puppet villain have to be considered a villain by everyone? The reason I ask is because my planned game has really grey morality lines, and the puppet would be a leader on one side of grey morality. Neither side would actual be 'evil', per se, but thought of evil by the other side.

Edited by Canis Lupus

I used to have a banner here.

But that RPG is dead.

What now?

B6, I have this idea, and I'm thinking about it. My question is: Does the puppet villain have to be considered a villain by everyone? The reason I ask is because my planned game has really grey morality lines, and the puppet would be a leader on one side of grey morality. Neither side would actual be 'evil', per se, but thought of evil by the other side.

That would be fine.

Ah, that's unfortunate. I like that game, had already made profiles and everything. :( I suspect quite a few others like it too.

Is there any possibilty of someone else taking over and running it if it won?

Edited by The Lorax

ppg2.png

Ah, that's unfortunate. I like that game, had already made profiles and everything. :( I suspect quite a few others like it too.

You would not believe the obscure Bionicle races I pulled up for some of these profiles... yeah, I took it seriously enough.

Sorry that you have to drop out, Zarayna. Good RPG and all that, but I understand how it goes. Life happens, sometimes.

Is there any possibilty of someone else taking over and running it if it won?

Yes: if someone was willing to take over management of the game I would definitely be willing to continue.

I'll address my reasons more thoroughly in the review that's coming up (for Trapped in the Map and Legend of the Thirteenth Island; I pretty much just recently reviewed Reborn in Red last contest, so unless it's really quiet for quite some time I probably won't get to it again Zakaro) but for now I'll just say this - Legend is my favorite RPG in the contest thus far, including my own. I greatly encourage anyone on the forum to vote for it when the polls start up later in the week.

This is not to speak bad of the other RPGs. I've seen RPGs that really were poorly executed, but at the current moment, reading the Submissions as they are ATM, there is not a single bad RPG on here. In fact, they're all pretty good; some of them, really good.

Not that I won't critique them properly. :P

EDIT: @ Canis Lupus; I'm willing to help out if you need it. This applies to anyone else, too. Assuming the rest of the contest submissions go like this, I'd be quite willing to assist anyone who needs a co-host.

Edited by Toa Levacius Zehvor

I might take you on Lev, if the need arises. Thanks for the general offer.

Also, The Trial of Nations is in its final stages of development. Should be posted (SoonTM) by Friday. Whether it be me or someone else who posts it is up in the air.

Edited by Toa of Dancing

Not that I won't critique them properly

*Not that I won't tear them apart viciously.

I joke though, your reviews have improved in quality, and are quite excellent. :)

Also, I'm fully backing TiaM just because it's an awesome RPG and deserves to win after being entered so many times.

Edited by Grantaire

I might take you on Lev, if the need arises. Thanks for the general offer. Also, The Trial of Nations is in its final stages of development. Should be posted (SoonTM) by Friday. Whether it be me or someone else who posts it is up in the air.

Look who! Guess it's lucky my trip ended early. ToN has been posted, and will be very epic. Unless Lloyd disagrees, I will be taking the GM position in this game as ToD doesn't think he's up for it. Meaning? Expect the same player-inclusive techniques I've used in Techna and any other popular game I've staffed.

BZPRPG Profiles

IC:

"It comes with the job," Halfimus explained, "I'm not paid enough to give anything outside quick flavour descriptions."

So pay me more AuRon.

Whee~

I like how every single reviewer just kinda passed over Reborn in Red.. :P

I mean Lev at least gave a reason, and Lorax has already given extensive review of Reborn, but everyone else just kinda hopped on over to Sky/Fall.

Is Reborn really that unnoticable..? :notsure:

Anyway might as well put up the list of RPGs I'm going to be voting for, in somewhat of an order of definite to least sure.. :P

(subject to change if another RPG pops in before the deadline, as is usual for these contests.)

1. Reborn in Red: Do I have to put a reason for this one?

2. The Voyage of... : You're on a spaceship. And you have no memory. And no idea how to protect yourself. Fun times :D

3. Legend of 13th: Pirates, mysterious islands, and swashbuckling adventure. It's been too long since we've had that :P

4. City in the Dark/Trapped in a Map/The Trial of Nations: All good concepts, each with little things that make them good. City has Rahi, 2 floor city and Orde, Trapped in a Map has, well, trapped in a map stuffs, and the Trial of Nations looks like Virtual Reality Warfare.

5. Everything else: In quick order, Tides: Sandy survival, Disruption: Matoran warfare, Sky/Fall: ALIENZ and looking for techno stuffs.

yay, go ahead and criticize/attempt to convince me otherwise on certain parts of my list :P

Zakaro

AGoNWLR.jpg

They call me Zakaro. You should too.

*subliminal messaging for Trial of Nations*

*it'll be fun and stuff*

Anyhow, I ain't gon' be here for a week, so no matter what comes up, I won't be here to respond to anything. Good luck all!