Favorite year so far in G2

Tahu3.0

Favorite Bionicle G2 year so far.  

19 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

With the incorporation of more technic pieces, 2016 takes the cake for me. My favorite of the Toa being Kopaka

• Upvote 1

audio_narration_project_banner_wide.jpg

Bionicle: ANP aims to create narrated versions of all the Bionicle books, with voice actors for each character, and music taken from various media to enhance the story. Check here if you're interested in voicing a character, and here for the chapters that've already been released!

Formerly: Tahu Nuva 3.0

Looking for a Bionicle Beanie. Black one with the symbol on it. Contact me if you are willing to sell

That's a tough question for me actually, set wise, it's very close. The protectors are great little villager sets, that are an important part of bionicle I think. They're the whole reason the toa are here, to protect the islanders from threats too big for them to handle on their own. They're colorful, have great weapon builds, and a decent bit of variety for their small size. That said, they are kinda similar in build, which is where the creatures have the edge. Each one has a unique form and function, and they're just as colorful and full of life. They're about equals in my eyes.

As for the toa, I think the 2015 masters have it. I like the 2016 toa, but some of them are just awkward with short arms, odd color choices, and weapons that aren't quite as spectacular as last year's. However, I still quite like them. All the trans colors give them a very vibrant presence, and the sharper masks look like they mean business. The 2015 toa are probably the best toa to date in my opinion, they have everything. The masks, the weapons, the colors, the gear functions, the variety between each one! There are some things I could nit pick about them, like the exposed ball joints and a few odd color choices, but those are minor flaws in my eyes. Each one is great.

I didn't think I would like the beasts much at first, having them in hand though, I'm pleasantly surprised to say the 2016 summer wave could very well beat the 2015 one. Each definitely has their flaws, but as a whole, they're great. I like the skull gang, they have some really solid sets, but they just aren't as intimidating as the beasts in appearance to me.

I honestly can't pick between the two, I love them both.

• Upvote 1

2016 for me. While I was all over 2015 because, hey, Bionicle is back, and still think those sets were amazing, 2016 just improved on that. The sets, the story, everything got even better. The creatures are absolutely magnificent and while some of the Uniters are a bit lackluster (Gali, Onua...) those that I do like are really, really good. I liked pretty much every Master Toa, but only adored Pohatu. From the Uniters, Pohatu, Lewa, Kopaka and Tahu are all really awesome. The beasts are pretty slick too, better than the skull villains (of whom I only liked two), plus both iterations of Umarak are great. I stand by 2015 as being a great year overall with several great sets, but Lego did kinda blunder into the opening chapter of the reboot, however they got themselves together with 2016.

I can't wait to see the 2017 sets!

:kakama:

• Upvote 3

:kakama: Stone rocks :kakama:

Model Designer at The LEGO Group. Former contributor at New Elementary. My MOCs can be found on Flickr and Instagram

:smilepohatunu: :smilehuki:

2016 was just repeated garbage from year one, and year one was justified to be as simple as it was. The toa looked better originally in my opinion, and so did the enemies. I hate how my Ekimu matoran form is no longer a thing and now he's a stupid toa. They took away the only unique matoran and made him a tall idiot.

So far, been enjoying the 2016 sets the most. Bit more of a callback to G1 technic builds (though still retaining its own identity). Really enjoyed the Protectors though. Bought a couple of duplicates there, even.

I picked 2015 because of the novelty of seeing old sets being redone in 2016. It always kinda felt like after Lego releases a line and or wave of sets, they just forget about them. Technic Star Wars anyone? I doubt anyone has thought of those since 2002

For what it's worth, I still have parts to the old green and tan Pit Droid reasonably accessible, ha.

• Upvote 1

Makuta: Consumed By LightRebrick EntryTopic & BackstoryBlog
-----------------
2015 Sets: 18/18 + 3 • Polybags: 1/2 • SDCC x2, NYCC Clear MoF, Trans-MoF
2016 Sets: 17/17 + 6

2016 was just repeated garbage from year one

Riiiight, because relatively complex small sets (then again, it is no surprise you ignore this point, since you've claimed that there are no animals in G2...) and moderate technic integration was something heavily featured in 2015...

Plus, how is Ekimu the only unique villager? Do the six protectors not exist in the weird alternate-universe you seem to inhabit? What about all the oth... oh, right, you don't read the books. Nevermind.

• Upvote 5

Model Designer at The LEGO Group. Former contributor at New Elementary. My MOCs can be found on Flickr and Instagram

2016 was just repeated garbage from year one, and year one was justified to be as simple as it was. The toa looked better originally in my opinion, and so did the enemies. I hate how my Ekimu matoran form is no longer a thing and now he's a stupid toa. They took away the only unique matoran and made him a tall idiot.

Honestly I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if some people in 2003 felt the same way about the Toa Nuva and Takanuva as you feel about the 2016 Toa and Ekimu.

I'm not saying I disagree with you — I also preferred Ekimu as a shorter mentor-type character versus a big fighter like the Toa (though I'm interested to learn more about his transformation), and overall I prefer last year's Toa to this year's, with the possible exception of Lewa. But Bionicle has always had transformations like this, and they've always been controversial with certain fans either for the new versions being either too similar or too different from their predecessors.

While I think it's far too early to be asking people their favorite year of Bionicle (since only one year of Bionicle has actually wrapped up), I did enjoy 2015's sets and story more overall than I've enjoyed this year's sets and story so far. With that said, I think the new versions of the Toa and Ekimu are some of the strongest character redesigns Bionicle has ever had from one year to the next. They have enough similarities to be easily recognizable, enough differences that they don't feel like a straight rehash, and certain specific changes like the elemental crystal motifs that help the new versions feel more powerful than their predecessors.

But even with such a good balance between things that were changed and things that were kept the same, it's hard to say whether the new Toa are decidedly stronger toy designs. For comparison's sake, the Toa Nuva in 2002 had some interesting design changes from the 2001 Toa Mata that could be seen as positive or negative, like silver weapons, silver armor, and mutated-looking masks. But they also made decisive improvements in playability: dual-function weapons and the option to have two geared shoulders or one plus a locking mechanism. Nothing was really sacrificed to add those features.

Playability-wise, the upgrade from 2015 to 2016 is less of an outright improvement and more of a give-and-take. The Toa gain a waist function, but lose their shoulder functions. They gain the ability to unite with their creatures, but lose the ability to knock each other's masks off in battle (instead of just popping them off manually). Several of them gain action features in their weapons, but lose the ability to switch between "battle mode" and "adrenaline mode". Ekimu gains a second action feature in his torso, but loses the action features in his weapons. You get the idea.

If I'm being honest, though, part of the reason there was this give-and-take is that unlike the Toa Mata, which were pretty rudimentary, the 2015 Toa brought together a lot of the best design and play features of Bionicle sets over the years. It would've been hard to add so many new features without taking away others, and keeping all the same features at the expense of new ones would have started to feel repetitive. It's very difficult to keep a theme going year after year without this sort of give-and-take. Overall I feel like the designers of the 2016 sets did a good job with the challenge they were given.

Edited by Aanchir
  • Upvote 5

Here we go again with this guy TRYING to change my opinion. Just let me say what I want and think what I want without getting all defensive for poor helpless bionicle. Jesus Christ. I may change my mind about it later but right now I'm seeing bionicle G2 with no filter whatsoever. And Pohaturon there are NO ANIMALS. The elemental creatures are NOT RAHI, they are elementals. The new bionicle world is lifeless and there are absolutely no wild creatures. It adds to the emptiness of the world and story but that's not where my problems end.

Edited by Tuuli

Here we go again with this guy TRYING to change my opinion. Just let me say what I want and think what I want without getting all defensive for poor helpless bionicle. Jesus Christ. I may change my mind about it later but right now I'm seeing bionicle G2 with no filter whatsoever. And Pohaturon there are NO ANIMALS. The elemental creatures are NOT RAHI, they are elementals. The new bionicle world is lifeless and there are absolutely no wild creatures. It adds to the emptiness of the world and story but that's not where my problems end.

Hey mate, how am I not letting you say or think what you want? I thought the point of forums was discussion...

As for the animals, yes, elemental creatures are not rahi - but rahi are not animals. Rahi are fictional creatures based on animals, therefore analogous to animals in bionicle. Incidentally, the elemental creatures are not animals, but are fictional creatures based on animals, therefore analogous to animals. Ergo, elemental creatures are just as much animals as the rahi were. 

Also, there was that family of desert cats - which are most certainly animals, even by your weird, warped standards - that Pohatu met in the graphic novel... which you didn't read.

Yeah, I'm out.

• Upvote 6

2002 was just repeated garbage from year one, and year one was justified to be as simple as it was. The toa looked better originally in my opinion, and so did the enemies. I hate how my Takua matoran form is no longer a thing and now he's a stupid toa. They took away the only unique matoran and made him a tall idiot.

Now see, you'd never say this. And all I did was change two names.

If you don't want your opinion challenged, it might not be the best idea to post on a discussion forum.

Edited by Terrorsaur
  • Upvote 3

2002 was just repeated garbage from year one, and year one was justified to be as simple as it was. The toa looked better originally in my opinion, and so did the enemies. I hate how my Takua matoran form is no longer a thing and now he's a stupid toa. They took away the only unique matoran and made him a tall idiot.

If you don't want your opinion challenged, it might not be the best idea to post on a discussion forum.

Yeah well there were enough matoran characters to back up Takua. And honestly I didn't like seeing my matoran Takua turning into a toa, it broke my heart as much as it made me happy.

Ekimu's role as a matoran is beyond significant, his new toa form is weak and I don't like it.

And Pohaturon you just need to stop trying to chastise me and correct me about new-onicle because you aren't getting it, and you keep acting like I'm on some lower level than you are about TOYS. Here you go again trying to correct me about something you don't even get. You don't even know because you're so blinded by being a bionicle G2 apologist that you can't see the line without a clear filter. You are looking at bionicle with the filter of: "It's Bionicle, so it must be amazing!"

Edited by Tuuli

Why did G2 hate have to come in this topic that only talks of G2 I understand a little comparison to G1 but it's not even that it's bacically hating on stuff that G2 did "wrong" that they actually did in G1. Edited by Tahu3.0

tZa6I5y.jpg?1

Yeah well there were enough matoran characters to back up Takua. And honestly I didn't like seeing my matoran Takua turning into a toa, it broke my heart as much as it made me happy.

Ekimu's role as a matoran is beyond significant, his new toa form is weak and I don't like it.

And Pohaturon you just need to stop trying to chastise me and correct me about new-onicle because you aren't getting it, and you keep acting like I'm on some lower level than you are about TOYS. Here you go again trying to correct me about something you don't even get. You don't even know because you're so blinded by being a bionicle G2 apologist that you can't see the line without a clear filter. You are looking at bionicle with the filter of: "It's Bionicle, so it must be amazing!"

A, that's how you act about G1, and B, no one else here says that. We just counter your points.

Anyway, this has devolved into more Tuuli-brand mudslinging. We have a topic for that. This if for something else.

• Upvote 3

Anyway getting back on topic, I find that I like 2016 more than 2015. 2016 has a central antagonist in Umarak and an interesting twist when he finds the mask of control. In terms of how sets are build, I like the custom limb pieces and I think the new parts are cool.

Still I'm excited to find out what 2017 brings. 

Edited by The Invisible Noob
  • Upvote 2

I live in a vacuum and I have successfully seemed to avoid any knowledge of anything from this year, not that that is a good thing. I don't use Netflix, and ever since I saw that first ad for Tahu Uniter, I didn't like the gimmick for this year. I call it a gimmick because that's what I saw it as. "Oh, cool. Tahu's a bird man who is covered with way too much gold. Moving right along."  But that is my view and I have no reasons other than my own preferences and aesthetics that could justify it. If anything, I can only say that 2015 was something that I expected, I got what I felt like could be passed off as very goo sets, and I moved on from there. 2014 was a very good year for speculation that culminated in the sets that I got. I like them and all, but they aren't my favorite thing that I've gotten from Lego, and the story was okay for what it's worth. 

I can literally only answer 2015, but that awesome kickstarting drive that I felt in 2014 is what hooked me on the idea that Bionicle could come back for this era's kids. 

2014 probably.

I had hope back then.

I really feel you, man. I really do.

• Upvote 1

t5pQDlO.jpg

:i:   :n:  :a:   :r:   :y:

And Tuuli you just need to stop trying to chastise everyone who has a different opinion than you and correct them about new-onicle being objectively bad because you aren't getting it, and you keep acting like we're on some lower level than you are about TOYS. Here you go again trying to correct me about something you don't even get. You don't even know because you're so blinded by being a bionicle G2 hater that you can't see the line without a clear filter. You are looking at bionicle with the filter of: "It's Bionicle G2, so it must be horrible!"

Fixed that ^

Funny how things work both ways, mate. You just can't seem to get over the fact that some people like G2, and feel the need to bring in your seething hatred into ever neutral G2 discussion. I'm not chastising you, that's probably just my prime diplomatic personality at work there. I'm not looking at Bionicle G2 through a filter - G1 is the only thing I have nostalgia for. There are plenty of issues with G2, but G1 also had plenty of problems, and sometimes the exact same problems.

I'm all there with Jungle not being a real element. I'm all there that things should have unique names instead of just the English words. I'm all there that we could be getting more content fleshing out the setting.

However you'll excuse me if I do absolutely correct you each time you bring up some completely invalid "issue" G2 allegedly has simply because you're wrapped in your self-imposed bubble of ignorance. You know what? I haven't read the graphic novel. It would take you literally less than two minutes to look for that post on the BZP forums where someone linked an excerpt of it where Pohatu befriends that family of desert cats. 

You're always railing on the depth and complexity of G2 while saying you purposefully keep yourself away from the content. That's looking at things through a filter.

On topic: To expand on my original answer, Umarak > Lord of the Skull Spiders. That pretty much describes all of G2.

• Upvote 2

2016 for the sets and story as I feel that even though 2015 was still really good Lego was still testing it out. To much of the source of story (Book, graphic novel and animations) were all telling the same story which for me kinda made it less interesting plus this year the story is expanding into more parts and history of Okoto as well as more about the Mask Makers past.

Looking at the sets I really did like 2015 but I have always been a fan of the gribble parts of Geb 1 one and the 2016 sets also just had more interesting builds with their arms and legs and even bodies and with the villains 2016 was much better I mean common Umarak is awesome enough said.

I just how that a third year come around that will continue of this trend of getting better each year.

Onvermel :pakari:

• Upvote 1

"I believe in certainties. The strength of my limbs, the power of my mask, the sharp edges of my blades — that is what I build my plans around. Trickery, deception, complex strategies, they are for the weak! If you want power, and another has it, you get it not by outwitting him — you get it by stepping over his corpse." Makuta Icarax

"WHO ATE ALL THE PIES! WHO ATE ALL THE PIES!"

http://onvermelreport.blogspot.ca/ --- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaX7xUwGu9-8kVqQ4BqOxWw               

onvermel_report_logo_24.bmp

2015 was amazing in terms of sets and premise, but the story material wasn't fleshed out until the very end (December!) with the addition of books and graphic novels. The animations themselves were fun but too barebones to really hold my attention yearlong.

2016 is incredible. We get a mini-series with full fledged episodes, tons of books and graphic novels, and the sets are even BETTER than what we got with 2015. The winner is obvious in my eyes.

-NotS

• Upvote 1

tahubanner.jpg

2016 got my vote. I like the idea of a having one villain (Umarak) facing off against the Toa, and thus getting more development, than five or so villains who get little development the year they were revealed in the story. (Skull Villains.)

Though I will admit that I did like the 2015 sets a little more than the 2016 ones.

• Upvote 1

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

My vote goes to 2015 because I've wanted Skrall-sized skeletons ever since I took a liking to Warcraft 3 and the Skrall.

• Upvote 1

If you use correct grammar in your posts (or try hard to), place this in your signature. Join Myst's campaign for correct grammar usage on BZPower!