Bionicle On Tv

Alyska

If Bionicle was to be made into a TV show, how should it be done? What kind of style and tone? Are there any particular people (animators, directors, voice actors, etc) you would want working on it? At the moment, I'm thinking detailed hand-drawn animation with nice, Miyazaki-style scenery, at least, for the 01-03 parts of the story. The Metru Nui arc seems more suited to CGI or Flash.

3DS Friend Code: 0018-0767-4231

Personally, I would like it to be more... real... If youve seen Terra Nova, its like that. Real Sets, CGI characters (well dinosaurs). I dont see why it cant be done. The made Kung Fu Panda into a series, shooting a real set with fake characters should be easy But i can see where your going with the Japanese-ness.

axonn, trying to excape my signature

Untitled-2.gif

If Bionicle was to be made into a TV show, how should it be done? What kind of style and tone? Are there any particular people (animators, directors, voice actors, etc) you would want working on it? At the moment, I'm thinking detailed hand-drawn animation with nice, Miyazaki-style scenery, at least, for the 01-03 parts of the story. The Metru Nui arc seems more suited to CGI or Flash.

Flash and hand-drawn animation... if you're talking about Macromedia Flash, they're considered the same thing by most people. But it would most likely be made in Maya. It would look cool if it was drawn exactly like the original comics, but I fear the animation would be rather choppy if so, seeing as we're talking about a TV Show. About the CGI: If they could actually make CGI models look like they're hand-drawn, and if they did a good job keeping it looking hand-drawn, then I'd be fine with the CGI.

6244916474_c93fd6d552.jpg

6251674125_b0dbed809a.jpg

6252203236_c35c6ab8f3.jpg

I've said this before on the now-archived forum, but I'll say it again. If BIONICLE were an anime, I would lament at the sight of the sets with huge eyes and lips not syncing to what they're supposed to be saying. Now, I haven't seen a lot of anime, but I don't see the appeal of it for BIONICLE. I don't think it'd work. Actually, I don't think it'd work period. I don't care what style of show they do, BIONICLE doesn't lend itself to a TV show, unless they decided to adapt one of Greg's podcasts or serials. And those are only incrementally and tangentially related to the actual storyline.

tumblr_ng1pw4xLEM1tryxewo1_1280.jpg

CG-animated seems the most natural choice in my mind. Something more animesque might look cool, but I'm not sure how well it would work with the series.

Hey: I'm not very active around BZP right now.  However, you can always contact me through PM (I have email notifications set up) and I will reply as soon as I can.

Useful Topics: The Q&A Compendium | The Official RPG Planning Topic
Stories: Fractures | An Aftermath | Three Stories | LSO 2012 Epics: Team Three | The Shadow and the Sea | The Days They Were Needed | Glitches | Transformations | Echoes | The Kaita and the Storyteller | Nui

BZPRPG: Komae · Soraya · Bohrei

Blog: Defendant Lobby no. 42

I would like to see Tinsletown Toons (as from TLR and Hero Factory series) doing something for the BIONICLEstory.com serials, podcasts and blogs. That would be epic since we hear way too much about mainstream story (when it existed), and hardly anything from these neat side plots that could, if produced properly, shame Mask of Light. Almost. I think as much original cast as possible, with more carefully chosen actors for previously unplayed parts with the original story team, plus all the folkes at T.town Toons.

Edited by Gresh's Thornax...Ouchy!!!

-L- to the -K-

Sometimes, I look at my desk, and think, "What am I doing with my life?"

Then, I go back to my videogames.

I used to be known as 'Gresh's Thornax...Ouchy!!!', before I realised what a silly name it was.

Other previous names include Lihkan435 and Chip Biscuit.

Bionicle an anime? I will not stand for it. I do not want to see Japan ruining another classic. They already killed Deltora Quest, and that is one of the MOST FAMOUS books Australia has ever made. The voices wont sync up, and itll have rediculous music. The only way to fix it is to use american styled anime, such as Man of Action (Ben 10 and such) or who ever did Avatar. Even try making it like what they do with the Avengers. but even then i dont really want it as an anime. Keep it CGI. they didnt make Kung Fu Panda the Series as an anime

Untitled-2.gif

I could see hand drawn animation working for 01-03, but not beyond. The rest of the story was much less tribal and does not suit that kind of artwork. As far as the plot itself, I always invisioned the story of Bionicle as a TV show, so I don't think they should change too much story-wise, except perhaps to edit it for commercial breaks and to fit into the time slot. -don't touch my pocket protector

Three great comedies at one low, low price....NOTHING!

Three late-middle age matoran think of something they want to do before they kick the bucket.

Choose Your Own Bionicle Adventure (archived)

Navigate your way through a myriad of meaningless choices as you try to not make a fool of yourself in perhaps the only comedy ever written almost entirely in spoiler tags.

Useless BZP Junk that you Must Have!!!

Get to your phone, whip out your credit card, and prepare to buy some useless BZPower related junk that has no benefit on society except that you want it!!!

joehalobanner.jpg

CGI all the way. The 3D promo art for the original Toa is what I think would work best in terms of style. Not everyone appreciates the story, especially kids who only liked the cool looking toys. So give the kids the cool looking CG Bionicles and the hardcore fans their animated story. Everyone's happy. I don't personally think you could adapt it to a cartoon style all that well. I enjoyed the comics, but I don't think you could pull it off in anime/cartoon/whatever style for an entire TV series.

kaiji.jpg

KUYASHII

­

Xbox LIVE Gamertag: ImaGonnaGetYou

That's the thing about Bionicle. Hero Factory works in episodes, but Bionicle is one continuous story. the only way it would work would be like the Bohrok and Bohrok Kal animations. For style, I'd say they would be good like in Bionicle: The Game, where they were exactly like the toys, but yet buffed-up enough to look like they could reall funstion, without any holes in their armor.

Edited by Zarohum

That's the thing about Bionicle. Hero Factory works in episodes, but Bionicle is one continuous story. the only way it would work would be like the Bohrok and Bohrok Kal animations. For style, I'd say they would be good like in Bionicle: The Game, where they were exactly like the toys, but yet buffed-up enough to look like they could reall funstion, without any holes in their armor.

I disagree. While Bionicle was a continuous story, it was released in an episodic way throughout each year (or season ;) ). That episodic release of content could be transformed into a television show rather easily in my opinion. -don't touch my pocket protector

Three late-middle age matoran think of something they want to do before they kick the bucket.

Navigate your way through a myriad of meaningless choices as you try to not make a fool of yourself in perhaps the only comedy ever written almost entirely in spoiler tags.

Get to your phone, whip out your credit card, and prepare to buy some useless BZPower related junk that has no benefit on society except that you want it!!!

joehalobanner.jpg

I disagree. While Bionicle was a continuous story, it was released in an episodic way throughout each year (or season ;) ). That episodic release of content could be transformed into a television show rather easily in my opinion. -don't touch my pocket protector
Yeah. I guess. "Season 6: Web of Shadows"

I had an idea of what it might look like... Perhaps something cross between an American cartoon and an anime would of been great is it were exacuted right.

"Don't! They will kill you like a small dog. Instead let your anger be as if it were a monkey on a treadmill; confused and tripping around." -Lelouch of Britania- (Here is my BZPRPG Profile, Diotrua.) 

09972482fe0243bdf1778f84fd5d61d1.gif

I had an idea of what it might look like... Perhaps something cross between an American cartoon and an anime would of been great is it were exacuted right.

I don't think so. The styles class much too much, and I don't think Bionicle is the right fit for Anime in anyway. -don't touch your pocket protector

joehalobanner.jpg

Probably a mini-series so they could keep continuity with out having to make filler episodes. I would hope Tinsel Toon didn't make it, there style doesn't fit BIONICLE all that well (i don't hate them, i actually think they are doing a fine job with HF, it's that they didn't give the BIONICLE feel). I highly doubt anime, try drawing a bionicle, it's almost impossible. CGI, the probable.

naccu_dancing_gif_by_larnuu-d51e6u5.gifNacuu's Slow Dance!!naccu_dancing_gif_by_larnuu-d51e6u5.gif

Ussal, is that in flash? -don't touch my pocket protector

joehalobanner.jpg

Usually, I would've said done CG, in the style of the Hero Factory show. However, after seeing Marvel Anime, I can say that I'm very impressed with the art style and quality of animation, and would like to see Bionicle done like that. The lack of humans doesn't seem like it would be a problem, since Marvel Anime features a show with Iron-Man, and all shots featuring the mechanized suit are very well done and still have a unique style. I think it would work very well for Bionicle :)EDIT: Upon some quick review, it seems that the show actually uses a good amount of CG for the suit, but it's still done in a very Anime-esque style.

Edited by The Darkest Hunter

pomegranate-banner-sm.png .

Usually, I would've said done CG, in the style of the Hero Factory show. However, after seeing Marvel Anime, I can say that I'm very impressed with the art style and quality of animation, and would like to see Bionicle done like that. The lack of humans doesn't seem like it would be a problem, since Marvel Anime features a show with Iron-Man, and all shots featuring the mechanized suit are very well done and still have a unique style. I think it would work very well for Bionicle :) EDIT: Upon some quick review, it seems that the show actually uses a good amount of CG for the suit, but it's still done in a very Anime-esque style.

is that Iron Man Armoured Adventures? Because I think that one's all CGI, but it's rendered to look 2D...

3DS Friend Code: 0018-0767-4231

Usually, I would've said done CG, in the style of the Hero Factory show. However, after seeing Marvel Anime, I can say that I'm very impressed with the art style and quality of animation, and would like to see Bionicle done like that. The lack of humans doesn't seem like it would be a problem, since Marvel Anime features a show with Iron-Man, and all shots featuring the mechanized suit are very well done and still have a unique style. I think it would work very well for Bionicle :) EDIT: Upon some quick review, it seems that the show actually uses a good amount of CG for the suit, but it's still done in a very Anime-esque style.

is that Iron Man Armoured Adventures? Because I think that one's all CGI, but it's rendered to look 2D...
No, its Iron Man, the Anime. Its on the Sci-Fi Channel (Foxtel). As is the Wolverine Anime. Aslong as its made to fit English Audiences (and not all... japanese and unsynced) i dont see a problem

Untitled-2.gif

I'd be disappointed with anything less than the art of the old Bohrok episodes. If those had been released more consistently, that would've been excelent. (Oh, or I guess like the MNOLG). Yeah, I'm old style. http://www.bzpower.com/board/public/style_emoticons/default/cool.png Realistically, though, I never thought Bionicle would make for a good TV show in the traditional sense... the comics and online animation just felt better. :music:

I've said this before on the now-archived forum, but I'll say it again. If BIONICLE were an anime, I would lament at the sight of the sets with huge eyes and lips not syncing to what they're supposed to be saying. Now, I haven't seen a lot of anime, but I don't see the appeal of it for BIONICLE. I don't think it'd work. Actually, I don't think it'd work period. I don't care what style of show they do, BIONICLE doesn't lend itself to a TV show, unless they decided to adapt one of Greg's podcasts or serials. And those are only incrementally and tangentially related to the actual storyline.

Bionicle an anime? I will not stand for it. I do not want to see Japan ruining another classic. They already killed Deltora Quest, and that is one of the MOST FAMOUS books Australia has ever made. The voices wont sync up, and itll have rediculous music. The only way to fix it is to use american styled anime, such as Man of Action (Ben 10 and such) or who ever did Avatar. Even try making it like what they do with the Avengers. but even then i dont really want it as an anime. Keep it CGI. they didnt make Kung Fu Panda the Series as an anime

No, please, please, please, not an anime. If it had to be in a plain cartoon format (not CGI), make it realistic and well-styled. No big eyes and no big sweat drops.

So I see there is still some biased people towards Anime where they think it's all big eyes and sweat drops. It was present back in the archives and now here. *sigh* I'm guessing most people don't know this, but when creating a cartoon or anime, they always record the dialogue first, then they animate the frames accordingly to match what the audio is saying, not the other way around. Remember Thunder Cats? That was animated in Japan but exclusively shown in English speaking countries and the animation looked great! Sorry, I'm getting a little off topic there. ON TOPIC: If Bionicle were to be done as a TV show, it would depend on the art style and which studio will be animating it. Would it work as an Anime? Technically yes, though it won't actually be an Anime, rather something akin to a "Half-Anime" such as Thunder Cats but if the right art style was chosen, then yes it would work. The same goes for regular Cel Animation in today's cartoons.

zV5MODc.png
Please take some time to read my friend's Hero Factory story "End Factory".
It was in the works for 2 years and is now available online to read.
Please be sure to leave a review if you can as it would mean a lot to both me and him.

A nice surprise awaits you inside.

I wouldnt mind it as an anime (and yes, i know how they did voices), but the voices need to be synced to english. not japanese, then dubbed over.An australian book, Deltora Quest, did well in america. then Japan made it into a series. then it was dubbed, back into english. It went from Australia, to America, to Japan, back to America and then Australia. The biggest battle scene in the show, half way through they had some talking. They were making a plan. then, the camera went to this character. He said nothing for FIVE Minutes, then said Yes.this is why i dont want it as a japanese voiced anime

Untitled-2.gif

I think an Anime STYLE would be preferable. The characters would look as they do in the sets, but the directing and art style would be anime-based. I just really like some of the camera movements you get in Anime. Gimme a second to think of an example... You know like how, when a character would swing a weapon like a scythe, the camera would zoom in as they bring it over their shoulder then zoom out again as they swing it around. Yeah, kinda like that.

LzcD9OS.png

I wrote stories once. They were okay.