The Official RPG Planning Topic

Nuju Metru

I would suggest pirates. An internal explosion is far more likely to split the ship in half than it is to bend it into the described shape. Plus it gives the players an actual goal. Gear up, get to the ship, activate the SOS and then survive until help arrives. All before they are hunted down and killed by the hostile ship floating somewhere out there. Actual people out to get the players do much better jobs as antagonists than empty void.

Occupation seems like a good idea, although it would be helpful to know what kind of ship Kanatu was. My current guess would be an asteroid miner but I'm not the one making the game.

"I serve the weak. I serve the helpless. I am their sword and their shield. If you want to strike at them, you must go through me, and I am not so easily moved."

zsUPm2E.jpg?1

Just my two cents, but maybe the planet the belt's surrounding could be the home of two major factions, locked in a bitter war over its natural resources, which caused a now defunct neutral faction to establish various mining outposts among the debris in a failed attempt to sustain themselves before it ultimately ended up dissolving and its territories were divided amongst the others. Fast forward a century or two later where the stations have been long thought destroyed by impacts with the surrounding debris, until they both suddenly end up detecting an encrypted transmission being played on a loop from the wreckage of a ship formerly belonging to said third party, stating that it had just departed from a previously unknown facility where the workers had "made a discovery that could potentially end all wars." Naturally, as both groups wish to get their hands on whatever this may end up being, they then send out expedition ships, only for the two to immediately open fire end up scuttling each other as they began to close in on their intended destination. Quickly realising that they're both now stranded and have lost their ability to contact their respective forces on the surface, they soon discover that they might not be as alone up there as they previously thought...

Now as for what they could potentially run into, Silvan's NPC Pirates suggestion could potentially work here (though I suggest implementing them as much smaller, independent groups simply looking to make a profit, and not giving them one giant ship that they could potentially use to destroy the PC hub bases with), but I'm also thinking this could benefit from having some crazed, murderous former members of the third faction injected into it, and maybe some type of hostile extraterrestrial lifeforms (think something along the lines of Alien's Xenomorphs, Dead Space's Necromorphs, or the creature from The Thing) as well.

• Upvote 1

Epics: 

Hero Factory: Contagion

RPG Characters:

BZPRPG Characters

RPG History:

The Asylum, Bionifight Infinite, Year 60,000, Matoran und Panzer, HF RPG 2.0, Wasteland, Corpus Rahkshi, Skyrise

GM Résumé:

Matoran und Panzer (Formerly Appointed Co-GM), Corpus Rahkshi (Former Substitute Co-GM)

Feel free to shoot a PM my way if you're waiting for me to respond to something and I've been taking a while to do so.

While those are certainly good ideas, I would suggest against tossing them all into the same pot, namely this RPG. The sub-forum is not exactly buzzing with players looking for a hot new game.

Two playable factions would work if that was the focus of the game. As it is all it would do is split up an already limited player base and keep them too busy squabbling with each other to actually complete some already difficult goals. And that's assuming both factions even get enough players to be called such.

The point of the pirates is to provide an active antagonist to keep things moving and provide a sense of danger. If you have Necromorphs chasing people through the asteroid belt those pirates are no longer needed.

A setting like this lends itself more toward story than freeform sandbox. Give your players a goal, some antagonistic force try to prevent them from accomplishing that goal, set up a few plot points along the way for them to discover and you have yourself a nice , medium sized RPG. It might not last forever but I can guarantee that your players will have more fond memories of a game that lasted for six months and had an actual end, than they will a game that dragged itself along for nine before dying from a lack of player interest.

Edited by Silvan Haven

"I serve the weak. I serve the helpless. I am their sword and their shield. If you want to strike at them, you must go through me, and I am not so easily moved."

zsUPm2E.jpg?1

have an idea for an rp thread based in the Empire universe. alignments can be with the Rebels, or with Tuyet's Army. feel free to expand upon it

Before or after Takanuva runs through the place like a bull in a china shop

Actually, it's an AU where Takanuva doesn't show up at all. But other than that, the story is more or less the same...

So, the assault on the Coliseum then?

change of plans, it happens before Takanuva comes. if someone could expand upon/add to/fix this idea, that would be great, because the think tanks running on empty here.

Link to how Azi looks(UPDATED): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4Hh1oWv0PcbLWVKdnpaT1hZeFk/view?usp=drivesdk

Also, because THEMESONG:

have an idea for an rp thread based in the Empire universe. alignments can be with the Rebels, or with Tuyet's Army. feel free to expand upon it

Before or after Takanuva runs through the place like a bull in a china shop

Actually, it's an AU where Takanuva doesn't show up at all. But other than that, the story is more or less the same...

So, the assault on the Coliseum then?

change of plans, it happens before Takanuva comes. if someone could expand upon/add to/fix this idea, that would be great, because the think tanks running on empty here.

You have the setting. You have factions.

The question is now, what is your goal for this RPG idea?

While those are certainly good ideas, I would suggest against tossing them all into the same pot, namely this RPG. The sub-forum is not exactly buzzing with players looking for a hot new game.

Two playable factions would work if that was the focus of the game. As it is all it would do is split up an already limited player base and keep them too busy squabbling with each other to actually complete some already difficult goals. And that's assuming both factions even get enough players to be called such.

The point of the pirates is to provide an active antagonist to keep things moving and provide a sense of danger. If you have Necromorphs chasing people through the asteroid belt those pirates are no longer needed.

A setting like this lends itself more toward story than freeform sandbox. Give your players a goal, some antagonistic force try to prevent them from accomplishing that goal, set up a few plot points along the way for them to discover and you have yourself a nice , medium sized RPG. It might not last forever but I can guarantee that your players will have more fond memories of a game that lasted for six months and had an actual end, than they will a game that dragged itself along for nine before dying from a lack of player interest.

We are still talking about a space setting here, right? Depending on the size of the station and the target vessel in question, not to mention the distance between the wreckage sites of the faction ships themselves and their intended targets, there's a very real possibility that members of the opposing factions might not even run into each other in the first place, aside from their initial disasterous encounter within the opening post. As for the pirates, the reason for their existence wasn't lost upon me; obviously they're supposed to be a threat entirely based around NPCs, but injecting a little additional variety in the GM's toolbox isn't necessarily a bad thing, either, as it can help alleviate the feeling of repetitiveness occasionally felt on both sides of the fence.

Focusing more attention towards the plot is one thing, but there should also be at least some element of freedom put into place as well, otherwise people might just start feeling like they're being railroaded and begin to lose interest entirely. I'm not saying that every RPG in here needs to be the size of Skyrim or New Vegas with a bajillion different things to possibly do before it's projected to end, because that's just unrealistic, but if you don't give your players enough breathing room to create the memories they'll eventually look back on fondly, then there's no real reason to launch a new game to begin with, and you might as well just transform the concept into a Short Story or Epic.

Epics: 

RPG Characters:

BZPRPG Characters

RPG History:

The Asylum, Bionifight Infinite, Year 60,000, Matoran und Panzer, HF RPG 2.0, Wasteland, Corpus Rahkshi, Skyrise

GM Résumé:

Matoran und Panzer (Formerly Appointed Co-GM), Corpus Rahkshi (Former Substitute Co-GM)

Feel free to shoot a PM my way if you're waiting for me to respond to something and I've been taking a while to do so.

Your two groups of players almost never meeting is a bad thing. At that point it's almost enforced player spread. Why does the game even need multiple factions anyway?

As long as the pirates are not played like Saturday morning cartoon villains I don't see how they would get repetitive.

I don't necessarily have a problem with the necromorph idea, being chased by undead tentacle monsters through an asteroid belt sounds at least mildly interesting and Aegis should feel free to add it if he want. But adding in completely new threats because you are worried that people might get bored of the first one means that you need to put a bit more effort into that first group.

About the sanbox/linear thing. It's really not that hard. Just give the players some very obvidea goals. Say maybe, we just crash landed on this asteroid, pretty much everything is low and there is a nearby mining outpost.

At that point you let the players decide what to do and how to do it. Do they want to head out right away? Do they want to scavange around the crash site first? Or maybe they want head off in some completely different direction for some reason or another.

Certainly forcing your players in a certain direction is a bad idea, but having a story driven RPG does not require the GM to do so. He nudges them in the direction of the story and hopefully allow them to effect it as well.

zsUPm2E.jpg?1

Technically, it doesn't; the suggestion of factions was mostly for backstory purposes, lore, and world-building, something which Aegis personally stated the RPG was currently lacking. As it stands right now, however, it's also the only potential concept I've seen so far that provides us with an actual reason as to why Matoran have even ventured out into space at all to begin with. Obviously, if Aegis ends up wanting to go down a different road with this, that's fine too, but he's still going to have to come up with an in-game reason for why the plot's set off world aside from simply wanting to create a game with that specific setting. And to address the player spread arguement, most people tend to write up multiple profiles within an RPG's lifetime, so if the majority of the playerbase possesses at least two characters each, then splitting people up suddenly isn't that big of a deal anymore.

Effort's not really the issue here, unfortunately; eventually, people are going to just get bored with the concept of pirates in general (especially if they're the RPG's only form of antagonists) because humans are complex creatures that require multiple different forms of stimulation in order to prolong their attention spans. If every comic book created since the 1940s was centered around the adventures of Superman, and only the character of Superman, the entire medium as a whole would've become stale and repetitive very quickly. Most people who enjoy renaissance fairs likely don't spend the entirety of their free time at them, as they have other interests as well. If the science fiction genre soley consisted of Star Trek, well, it's safe to assume that you already know where I'm going with this. The overall point I'm trying to make here is that if you completely focus and center your plot around one specific archetype, and don't do anything new to constantly keep it fresh and interesting, the likelihood of people sticking around long enough to continuously give it the support it needs is going to be at an all-time low. Say what you want about Corpus, but the fact of the matter is that it's still mostly alive and kicking, despite the current absence of its original GM, and that's at least partially because the setting and the character species are so widely different from what's been introduced to the forum for the past two years, so it's effectively still considered to be uncharted territory.

In short, what I'm basically trying to say is that there are more threats to us in real life aside from pirates, asteroids, and the potential lack of air, and any RPG that properly reflects this (i.e., not in a fashion that's borderline ridiculous) is really only going to benefit from doing so.

Edited by Timageness

Epics: 

RPG Characters:

BZPRPG Characters

RPG History:

GM Résumé:

Hoo boy this went somewhere without me lol

Anyways, uh.

The pirates idea sounds plausible, but a possible alternative(maybe even as a third lot) is the Kanatu was attacked by a second ship which has ended up in a similar state. As such, the two now-stranded crews would, most likely, not get along.

As for something like necromorphs? Eeeeeeeeh, maybe, I'll have to think on that.

I'll have to think about a plot too, if I decide to go in that direction.

aBlR6jE.png

My profiles

Read my Epic:Tales of Aoris Nui!

Profile pic by Soulemn on DA!

I also have a custom species approved for the BZPRPG! Click here to read about them!

Aside from the obvious suggestions of either centering the story around the beginning of Tuyet's conquest of Metru Nui, mostly to further expand upon the events leading up to her rule, or the aftermath of Takanuva's arrival, I suppose you could always take a page from the playbook of the original Star Wars trilogy and focus the narrative around the efforts of the resistance movement in the time frame between the former and shortly before the arrival of everyone's favorite Toa of Light.

Mostly everything immediately predating the Toa Metru onwards didn't happen, including Teridax kickstarting The Great Cataclysm and the GSR crash-landing into Aqua Magna, so we weren't really given too many details about what was currently going on with the rest of the universe. That being said, you're essentially in the position to rewrite history as you see fit.

Epics: 

RPG Characters:

BZPRPG Characters

RPG History:

GM Résumé:

Multiverse Fighting Tournament!

Update

Welcome, fans and fighters alike, to the Arena! I am Makuta Teridax, your humble host and announcer for the games. This tournament, like those past, is sure to be an exciting one, and this time around, thanks to some negotiations with our good friends in the Order, we've been able to expand our roster immensely! We've got some new faces this time, so be sure to give them your support!

This tournament, as described is a fighting tournament hosted by the Brotherhood of Makuta, to decide each season who is the top fighter! This time around, they've procured use of a Kanohi Olmak and recruited more fighters from across the multiverse.

Why you ask? For entertainment of course!

Now the rules are simple. Fighters will be randomly paired with each other in a standard tourney system. Defeat your opponent, and you move to the next bracket until there is only one fighter left at the top! Death is thankfully a non-issue, with Makuta standing by to keep contestants from going too far and to heal any and all injuries.

Special exhibition matches against multiple opponents or fantastic creatures are also in store, including a free for all for third place in the tournament!

There are no Light powered beings permitted to participate, as the potential multiversal imbalance could be catastrophic.

Not to mention the bias by the hosts.

Rules-

-play fair. No god modding, auto hitting, etc.

-no imports. Not gonna be popular, but let's be original here, yeah? New characters.

-follow the forum rules

Multiverse Fighting Tournament! Here we go again.

Update

Welcome, fans and fighters alike, to the Arena! I am Makuta Teridax, your humble host and announcer for the games. That is an incredibly chill Teridax, isn't it? not the master of evil anyone would be expecting to follow the name. This tournament, like those past, Maybe we can get some info as to how this has survived for a long while. is sure to be an exciting one, and this time around, thanks to some negotiations with our good friends in the Order, What universe is this? we've been able to expand our roster immensely! We've got some new faces this time, so be sure to give them your support!

This tournament, as described is a fighting tournament hosted by the Brotherhood of Makuta, to decide each season who is the top fighter! I understand that you want something original here, but this is just flat-out corny. I could expect a more believeable ad campaign from Halmos. This time around, they've procured use of a Kanohi Olmak and recruited more fighters from across the multiverse. Against their will? or do they sign up? and if so, how?

Why you ask? For entertainment of course! I fear this will be the least entertaining portion of the RP.

Now the rules are simple. Fighters will be randomly paired with each other in a standard tourney system. Defeat your opponent, and you move to the next bracket until there is only one fighter left at the top! And then what? what happens to the rest of the fighters? do they get sent away, or what? Death is thankfully a non-issue, Oh, so the one hampering portion of most of Bionifight is back! with no chance at getting killed, and in fact, no chance at getting injured, apparently, you're going to have a zero percent player rate. with Makuta standing by Are they the only security? if you've got a talented bunch of players, they'll break this game like an egg shell. to keep contestants from going too far and to heal any and all injuries. Wait, all injuries? so there's not really an incentive to watch this program where they fight until someone actually gets hit at all, or much less of actually wanting to play.

Special exhibition matches against multiple opponents or fantastic creatures are also in store, Well, I'm sure glad we can't play as any of them, right? that might actually be interesting. including a free for all for third place in the tournament! That's going to be the most drab free-for-all ever conjured up in here, I'm certain.

There are no Light powered beings permitted to participate, as the potential multiversal imbalance could be catastrophic. Or, y'know, they might have a chance at escaping, because there's literally nobody but Makuta around to guard the place.

Rules-

-no imports. Not gonna be popular, but let's be original here, yeah? New characters. I agree. It's not gonna have many players at all, is it?

-follow the forum rules

Not trying to be harsh here, but this is incredibly fragile for a starting point. Beef it up a bit.

Buddy it's a barebones first draft. Of course it's fragile.

Also seeing a lot of 'this is dumb' and 'I do t like this' but not really any constructive criticism?

i honestly like it. , i'd actually wanna play this, because i have a feeling my Character could potentially give people a run for their widgets.

Link to how Azi looks(UPDATED): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4Hh1oWv0PcbLWVKdnpaT1hZeFk/view?usp=drivesdk

Also, because THEMESONG:

While for some reason I do kind of want to play this I really must repeat that thing we keep saying.

It's a tournament game. How are you going to keep up player activity?

Also

There are no Light powered beings permitted to participate,

I feel discriminated against! Shunned! Limited! What do have against me playing as a noble Toa of Light?

• Upvote 1

zsUPm2E.jpg?1

more fights.

It's all this is. Somewhere you can go and play combat to your hearts content. If it doesn't last very long, I'm okay with that. But people loved the more free form characters able to be brought out in Bionifight, and I loved the arena combat aspect so I sorta just.... Mashed them together. I might come up with something for more story oriented people later, but as it is right now, it's quite literally just a fighting game.

From what you have there it's going to be a 1v1 fight followed by a 1v1 fight followed by another 1v1 fight, ect. That will kill the game as surely as a bullet.

Bionifight had it's fair share of problems but one thing they did get right was the fact that it was a bunch of group fights instead of a collection of one on one affairs. There is no way you are going to be able to get away with a conventional tournament style RPG.

zsUPm2E.jpg?1

more fights.

It's all this is. Somewhere you can go and play combat to your hearts content. If it doesn't last very long, I'm okay with that. But people loved the more free form characters able to be brought out in Bionifight, and I loved the arena combat aspect so I sorta just.... Mashed them together. I might come up with something for more story oriented people later, but as it is right now, it's quite literally just a fighting game.

From what you have there it's going to be a 1v1 fight followed by a 1v1 fight followed by another 1v1 fight, ect. That will kill the game as surely as a bullet.

Bionifight had it's fair share of problems but one thing they did get right was the fact that it was a bunch of group fights instead of a collection of one on one affairs. There is no way you are going to be able to get away with a conventional tournament style RPG.

Before I say anything else, I don't think I can stress enough that Silvan is 100% correct here - having 1v1 fights only will kill the RPG. I would recommend simple free for all rounds (or team rounds) as the "main" fights if you can, with special 1v1 fights being, well, special.

Since I think Ghidora's thoughts are extremely biased (coming from a player who rage quit Bionifight), I've commented in the quote below using blue to give my own thoughts on what you have and what was raised.

(Also I apologize I'm remembering now that I promised to PM you and then... didn't)

Like with Bionifight, this is an idea that can work well for maintaining player interest - whether it be Hubert bringing in three versions of the same character or what have you.

A more... enticing name for the RPG is a must, though.

Update

Welcome, fans and fighters alike, to the Arena! I am Makuta Teridax, your humble host and announcer for the games. That is an incredibly chill Teridax, isn't it? not the master of evil anyone would be expecting to follow the name.

Ghidora raises a good point here - this Teridax sounds remarkably relaxed. Perhaps some backstory on why he is that way could be added, tied into how exactly the tournament came about?

This tournament, like those past, Maybe we can get some info as to how this has survived for a long while. 

Another good point, one that can be easily tied into the backstory of the tournament's creation.

is sure to be an exciting one, and this time around, thanks to some negotiations with our good friends in the Order, What universe is this? we've been able to expand our roster immensely! We've got some new faces this time, so be sure to give them your support!

Another point to Ghidora here - what sort of universe is this? From what we know of this Teridax so far, I'm not seeing why he would be an enemy of the Order beyond the plot demanding that somebody be against him. So what is it about this universe and it's Order that makes working with them so special?

Again, this can be very easily tied into the tournament backstory, so it's not a huge issue.

This tournament, as described is a fighting tournament hosted by the Brotherhood of Makuta, to decide each season who is the top fighter! I understand that you want something original here, but this is just flat-out corny. I could expect a more believeable ad campaign from Halmos. 

I'm not understanding Ghidora's complaint here, myself. I think the advertising for any sort of fighting tournament is inherently going to be somewhat corny in its "pander to the masses" advertising. Besides, from the looks of it so far, this doesn't sound like a huge part of the game.

This time around, they've procured use of a Kanohi Olmak and recruited more fighters from across the multiverse. Against their will? or do they sign up? and if so, how?

Why you ask? For entertainment of course! I fear this will be the least entertaining portion of the RP.

Really not understanding Ghidora's second statement here. His first is valid - how do the fighters get signed up, especially from other universes? I would recommend you find something that makes a least most of them willing participants, if only to make your own life as GM and the IC-Tournament Hosts easier. ;)

Now the rules are simple. Fighters will be randomly paired with each other in a standard tourney system. Defeat your opponent, and you move to the next bracket until there is only one fighter left at the top! And then what? what happens to the rest of the fighters? do they get sent away, or what? 

Like Silvan and I have both already stressed, it would be a better idea to have matches with multiple player characters as your main fights, and swap 1v1s into exhibitions and training instead.

We do need to know what will be done with eliminated opponents, as well as any fighters/characters that happen to enter the RPG later on in its life.

Death is thankfully a non-issue, Oh, so the one hampering portion of most of Bionifight is back! with no chance at getting killed, and in fact, no chance at getting injured, apparently, you're going to have a zero percent player rate.

Really not sure what Ghidora's trying to get at, here. Why he thinks that people not dying in the arena is some sort of crime that will kill player activity is beyond me, seeing as holding death back was a rather big draw in Bionifight.

I would recommend trying to figure out some sort of system for outside the arena, though. We struggled in Bionifight outside of the arena as far as rules & enforcement went. And outside of the arena - can players leave the facilities? If so, is there an island or something for them to explore?

with Makuta standing by Are they the only security? if you've got a talented bunch of players, they'll break this game like an egg shell.

He's... not wrong. Granted, having Makuta as your security staff is pretty intimidating (especially if PCs aren't allowed to reach their level of powers/strength), so for most PCs that'll probably be enough. This is where I would again recommend that at least most fighters are participating of their own free will, since those PCs will inherently cause less trouble.

Like I said, this is an area we did very poorly with in Bionifight, so any advice I give here should be taken with a grain of salt, but also with the understanding that what I tried didn't work very well.

to keep contestants from going too far and to heal any and all injuries. Wait, all injuries? so there's not really an incentive to watch this program where they fight until someone actually gets hit at all, or much less of actually wanting to play.

Ghidora makes no sense here, since at the end of the day it's about the players, and they enjoyed the same system in Bionifight just fine.

Including some valid IC reasons for why audiences like to watch the tournament so much can't hurt, though.

Special exhibition matches against multiple opponents or fantastic creatures are also in store, Well, I'm sure glad we can't play as any of them, right? that might actually be interesting. including a free for all for third place in the tournament! That's going to be the most drab free-for-all ever conjured up in here, I'm certain.

I'm not sure what Ghidora thinks he's complaining about here, because special exhibition matches sound pretty cool? I mean just as an example, if I were playing a Matoran and I was given the opportunity to try my hand at duelling a Makuta in the arena, I'd think that would be kinda awesome even if I'd inevitably lose.

There are no Light powered beings permitted to participate, as the potential multiversal imbalance could be catastrophic. Or, y'know, they might have a chance at escaping, because there's literally nobody but Makuta around to guard the place.

Again, not sure why Ghidora's complaining here, since what you're saying makes perfect sense?

Though if you could find an alternate solution to allow light users in, that'd be cool. Maybe the Makuta all have shadow-enhancers or something. :notsure:

Rules-

-no imports. Not gonna be popular, but let's be original here, yeah? New characters. I agree. It's not gonna have many players at all, is it?

Ghidora doesn't know what he's talking about, so don't listen to him.

For the record, I didn't expect Bionifight to be very popular either - I wasn't expecting much more than the standard crowd that came with it from G&T. So... you can expect a small crowd, but I would prepare for a large one just in case.

-follow the forum rules

Not trying to be harsh here, but this is incredibly fragile for a starting point. Beef it up a bit.

Anyway those are some of my thoughts on what you have so far. If I actually remember I'll see if I can PM you within the next few days or something.

E: I might post them here instead, we'll see

Edited by Stark
  • Upvote 4

I'm just gonna drop my thoughts here.

A, The RPG definitely needs a better name, I'm sorry to be so blunt, but it's true. ^^; Even something as cliche as "tournament of victors" or so would be an improvement... Dx

B, I personally don't see the issues with the universe thing here. Because like, 99% of RPG universes usually take place in their own universes, and it's the work of players that tend to try to link them... (kinda guilty here ^^') So is a universe that has Teridax not totally king of all Evil so hard to believe? Or the fact that Teridax in this one is actually... working with the Order, which also seems to be more out in the open? Heck, it could even be prior to Teridax going evil, because they weren't at first even in the main universe.

C, Tournaments that have actual reasons or stuff, and aren't a front for something shady, is actually... possible to stay around, contrary to popular beliefs. In universe, it could simply be a thing like the WWE is here, give or take match-fixing or so. Or heck, if everything is being taken care of so that there isn't anything shady, it could still be a front. Since the biggest issue with Bionifight's tournament was the whole 'unwilling participants' thing. And even that wasn't showcased to the public for a while.

D. The ad campaign is pretty spot on to me; it's not like there aren't more corny ad campaigns in real life...

E. Agreed about whether or not this is against anyone's wills or not - and also the fact that it being a volunteered/signed up for thing would make everything a lot smoother. Trust me on this one. =P #elly4life

E2. Entertainment and to prove who's stronger is a very good reason, though...

F. Alright, here, I've gotta echo everyone. Although it could get chaotic, the best part about Bionifight was actually the team matches. Heck, if people were sorted into teams from the start, that'd probably also make things a lot easier too.

G. I... I really don't get how not being able to be killed is a bad thing. As Tex said, that was a draw to Bionifight, not a hampering part. When people started getting killed off for real, the whole RPG started to slowly deteriorate until no-one had the energy to continue, even the staff. And that was a temporary thing. In a tournament RPG, it's never wise to have the possibility of death unless you're outside the arena or rebelling.

I. I'm actually not against the Makuta being security here. Even in the main universe, it took at least six Toa just to take on one Makuta, who probably was even holding back because of arrogance... and that was just to seal him. The six that the Nuva fought weren't at full strength and they still basically were more trying to survive than to win. And they had a Toa of Light on their side halfway through. Add in this universe having a brute strength increase for the Makuta, and 10+ as security, along with other species like Brutaka's helping... a rebellion would likely need to number into the 60+s. And that's assuming there'd be a -need- to rebel.

J. That, I, what? Injuries being permanent in a fighting match thing is a deadly thing to activity; there's a reason that IRL fighting matches try their hardest to avoid injuries, not provoke them... The audiences typically watch things for stuff like the action, not the bloodlust.

K. Exhibition matches are actually cool, so I'll again agree with Tex over Ghidora.

L. I'll say that it's a pretty iffy situation to justify a lack of light users. For one, we don't even have a shred of evidence that the tournament runners are actually evil, other than "Makuta" and "Shadow", and... well, we don't know that equates evil either. They could be jerks in some ways, but more like Blue from the original Pokemon games, over someone like Cyrus from Diamond and Pearl. We might not need to escape, and the lack could simply be because 99% of universes -do- like to have evil shadow Makuta, which would make the tournament runners wary that a light elemental might infiltrate just to assassinate them for what's effectively nothing.

L2. That said, the imbalance thing is a bit iffy, and a better reason might work.

M. Okay, addressing Ghidora directly here; how can you say, from just this, that it'll have any fewer players than other games here nowadays? Because while tournament RPGs can make people wary, there have been successful ones before. And one of those ones is in fact the inspiration for this! Especially since, ironically, the main reason Bionifight died during Landfall, was because it strayed from the tournament flow, and because there were some, um, very unwise choices made during the beginning of that arc likely.

N. Now, here's my own thoughts: You do need something extra in addition to the tournament. The tournament should be focused on, and I don't recommend the hosts be the ones instigating whatever it is, unless it's to guard things or something(tying back into that 'willing participants makes things a lot easier' thing from earlier), but there needs to be something. Going from one fight to another will bore people unless there's something else to do. And if it's a hunt-a-thon at any point, that should be something worked into the rounds; not an after thought. Like, say, having a team fight each other to an ancient artifact or something.

O. Also, once again going back to the issues, even if one staff member's evil... you should try to have the rest be likeable at the very least. Sorta like how Elly might have been gruff, and was a bit tough on some people, but she was arguably one of the kindest people leading the Organizers in-game. It really helps prevent uprisings. =P

/EDIT: Oh filter, never change. Even if it's not a swear, still filter it out. <3

Edited by Destined Blade
  • Upvote 3

I mean, half of those were a bit silly, yes, but that more would be like 'restrict', though I could definitely see it being for balance reasons... It just feels like there should be like, something in between?

Like with Bionifight, this is an idea that can work well for maintaining player interest - whether it be Hubert bringing in three versions of the same character or what have you.

A more... enticing name for the RPG is a must, though.

Update

Welcome, fans and fighters alike, to the Arena! I am Makuta Teridax, your humble host and announcer for the games. That is an incredibly chill Teridax, isn't it? not the master of evil anyone would be expecting to follow the name.

Ghidora raises a good point here - this Teridax sounds remarkably relaxed. Perhaps some backstory on why he is that way could be added, tied into how exactly the tournament came about?

This tournament, like those past, Maybe we can get some info as to how this has survived for a long while. 

Another good point, one that can be easily tied into the backstory of the tournament's creation.

is sure to be an exciting one, and this time around, thanks to some negotiations with our good friends in the Order, What universe is this? we've been able to expand our roster immensely! We've got some new faces this time, so be sure to give them your support!

Another point to Ghidora here - what sort of universe is this? From what we know of this Teridax so far, I'm not seeing why he would be an enemy of the Order beyond the plot demanding that somebody be against him. So what is it about this universe and it's Order that makes working with them so special?

Again, this can be very easily tied into the tournament backstory, so it's not a huge issue.

This tournament, as described is a fighting tournament hosted by the Brotherhood of Makuta, to decide each season who is the top fighter! I understand that you want something original here, but this is just flat-out corny. I could expect a more believeable ad campaign from Halmos. 

I'm not understanding Ghidora's complaint here, myself. I think the advertising for any sort of fighting tournament is inherently going to be somewhat corny in its "pander to the masses" advertising. Besides, from the looks of it so far, this doesn't sound like a huge part of the game. It's described as one of the main points for the game, so if it's that important it should be reasonable.

This time around, they've procured use of a Kanohi Olmak and recruited more fighters from across the multiverse. Against their will? or do they sign up? and if so, how?

Really not understanding Ghidora's second statement here. His first is valid - how do the fighters get signed up, especially from other universes? I would recommend you find something that makes a least most of them willing participants, if only to make your own life as GM and the IC-Tournament Hosts easier. ;)

Now the rules are simple. Fighters will be randomly paired with each other in a standard tourney system. Defeat your opponent, and you move to the next bracket until there is only one fighter left at the top! And then what? what happens to the rest of the fighters? do they get sent away, or what? 

Like Silvan and I have both already stressed, it would be a better idea to have matches with multiple player characters as your main fights, and swap 1v1s into exhibitions and training instead.

We do need to know what will be done with eliminated opponents, as well as any fighters/characters that happen to enter the RPG later on in its life.

Death is thankfully a non-issue, Oh, so the one hampering portion of most of Bionifight is back! with no chance at getting killed, and in fact, no chance at getting injured, apparently, you're going to have a zero percent player rate.

Really not sure what Ghidora's trying to get at, here. Why he thinks that people not dying in the arena is some sort of crime that will kill player activity is beyond me, seeing as holding death back was a rather big draw in Bionifight. The only times players even had the risk of dying in that game was breaking the rules or waiting until the second half of the game, where risks were real. The monotony of knowing there's always a better player with a better character who will kill you in every match only leads to trying to break the rules subtly or flat-out give up.

I would recommend trying to figure out some sort of system for outside the arena, though. We struggled in Bionifight outside of the arena as far as rules & enforcement went. And outside of the arena - can players leave the facilities? If so, is there an island or something for them to explore? Kudos to Tex here; we need some kind of specification as to where this is, and what this is. If you want to keep it a secret for plot 'n stuffs, go ahead and give us a very general idea, but a reasonable one nonetheless.

with Makuta standing by Are they the only security? if you've got a talented bunch of players, they'll break this game like an egg shell.

He's... not wrong. Granted, having Makuta as your security staff is pretty intimidating (especially if PCs aren't allowed to reach their level of powers/strength), so for most PCs that'll probably be enough. This is where I would again recommend that at least most fighters are participating of their own free will, since those PCs will inherently cause less trouble.

Like I said, this is an area we did very poorly with in Bionifight, so any advice I give here should be taken with a grain of salt, but also with the understanding that what I tried didn't work very well.

to keep contestants from going too far and to heal any and all injuries. Wait, all injuries? so there's not really an incentive to watch this program where they fight until someone actually gets hit at all, or much less of actually wanting to play.

Ghidora makes no sense here, since at the end of the day it's about the players, and they enjoyed the same system in Bionifight just fine. Bionifight worked with the system of absolute defeat followed by teleportation, somehow, despite some characters getting blown to scraps... So a teleportation and reanimation deal. But there's no specification here as to when and where the healing takes place, so it's just as valid for me to create the automatic assumption that it's instantaneous on the battlefield to show just how easily this can be broken.

Including some valid IC reasons for why audiences like to watch the tournament so much can't hurt, though.

I'm not sure what Ghidora thinks he's complaining about here, because special exhibition matches sound pretty cool? I mean just as an example, if I were playing a Matoran and I was given the opportunity to try my hand at duelling a Makuta in the arena, I'd think that would be kinda awesome even if I'd inevitably lose. If by 'awesome', you mean 'over in two seconds', I guess I agree.

On that note, can we have some specifics as to just how powerful we can make our characters? saying 'it's up to what I choose' is great and all, but there should be at least some guidelines.

Again, not sure why Ghidora's complaining here, since what you're saying makes perfect sense? Picture this. Twenty Toa of light team up and blow all the Makuta off the face of the planet, system's broken, game dies.  He doesn't want Light beings because that would cripple the game entirely. Do it like Bionifight; make it a sealed, finite area with some sort of all-powerful head, at least we assume so.

Though if you could find an alternate solution to allow light users in, that'd be cool. Maybe the Makuta all have shadow-enhancers or something. :notsure:

Rules-

Ghidora doesn't know what he's talking about, so don't listen to him. How about the half of the playerbase in Bionifight that was old characters? Ghidora does know what he's talking about; old characters being snipped is going to drive players away in droves.

For the record, I didn't expect Bionifight to be very popular either - I wasn't expecting much more than the standard crowd that came with it from G&T. So... you can expect a small crowd, but I would prepare for a large one just in case. I would prepare for a game that can function as a tiny one, but can fit the entire populous of BZP inside if it needed to.

Since that quote is already hurting my eyes I'm just gonna respond to your new comments below.

1-Yes, the fighting tournament is the main point of the game - but that doesn't mean the advertising needs to be some work of art. It's advertising. It can be corny or cliche.

It's also succinct, which will be useful once the RPG begins growing in size with future drafts - would you rather one or two (or god forbid three or more) paragraphs explaining the point of the game? Or would you rather a single sentence, like we have right now?

2-That is your problem as a player, not the problem of the staff. There's literally nothing I can say to you here except "get better". There's more I could say, since my own strategy has won me more fights than I've lost (though I will also preface it by noting that I haven't been in that many RPG fights period), but this isn't the time or place.

While your original complaint could be valid, the reasoning behind it is not. Making death impossible in the arena makes the arena itself more attractive to players, since there's no risk of permanently losing their characters for no reason - and if rule-breaking is severe enough (like it was with you), I see no reason why death cannot be used as final penalty, so long as it is not abused.

3-We're in agreement about developing areas outside the arena and its facilities. I imagine we'll both have more to comment on here in the next draft.

4-Whether it's broken or not doesn't matter, since it's serving the same function as the reanimation in Bionifight - it'll be used in-story to allow characters fighting in the arena to return to their daily lives immediately, rather than force players to sit around in a hospital for weeks.

5-Considering that autohitting is against the rules, I can guarantee you that I would last longer than 2 seconds. Depending on the environment and the weapons/powers/tools at my disposal (and those at the disposal of the Makuta), possibly quite a lot longer. But we're getting off on a tangent here, since that was only ever an example of what I as a player would find neat to participate in. Exhibition matches would be a perfect place to get input from players on what they would like to see/fight.

I'm pretty sure a rough profile form is coming.

6-I mean, I was agreeing with the Host's reasoning there. So.

7-I highly doubt it. Were there some players in Bionifight playing specifically because they could port other RPG characters? Definitely. But I see no reason why restricting it to new characters in this one would kill off the player base, since all it means is "don't connect your character's backstory to another RPG".

Maybe there aren't any Light users allowed in the tournament because they're the villains of this universe.

In a world with Teridax of all people still working with the Order of Mata Nui, anything's possible.

Epics: 

RPG Characters:

BZPRPG Characters

RPG History:

GM Résumé:

It's described as one of the main points for the game, so if it's that important it should be reasonable.

The only times players even had the risk of dying in that game was breaking the rules or waiting until the second half of the game, where risks were real. The monotony of knowing there's always a better player with a better character who will kill you in every match only leads to trying to break the rules subtly or flat-out give up.

Kudos to Tex here; we need some kind of specification as to where this is, and what this is. If you want to keep it a secret for plot 'n stuffs, go ahead and give us a very general idea, but a reasonable one nonetheless.

Bionifight worked with the system of absolute defeat followed by teleportation, somehow, despite some characters getting blown to scraps... So a teleportation and reanimation deal. But there's no specification here as to when and where the healing takes place, so it's just as valid for me to create the automatic assumption that it's instantaneous on the battlefield to show just how easily this can be broken.

If by 'awesome', you mean 'over in two seconds', I guess I agree.

On that note, can we have some specifics as to just how powerful we can make our characters? saying 'it's up to what I choose' is great and all, but there should be at least some guidelines.

Picture this. Twenty Toa of light team up and blow all the Makuta off the face of the planet, system's broken, game dies.  He doesn't want Light beings because that would cripple the game entirely. Do it like Bionifight; make it a sealed, finite area with some sort of all-powerful head, at least we assume so.

How about the half of the playerbase in Bionifight that was old characters? Ghidora does know what he's talking about; old characters being snipped is going to drive players away in droves.

I would prepare for a game that can function as a tiny one, but can fit the entire populous of BZP inside if it needed to.

Oh, where do I start with this...

1. An in-universe ad campaign doesn't need to be totally reasonable, and it could most certainly be more than a bit fleshed out... but cheesy ad campaigns are more likely to be in the majority of things.

2. That's your own opinion, and... honestly, not really what happened 99% of the time. Half the people who would be driven to rebel because of that stuff would've anyway because it was mostly driven by the unlikeable hosts, especially the Queen and Host. The rest who kept getting defeated simply used that opportunity to fight harder, and try more. And people who give up just because they lose shouldn't even have been picked in that case, honestly.

3. For once, I'm going to agree; the location needs to be detailed; I also recommend it not being kept secret... we tried that, and sorta killed the potential for exploration or so.

4. That was more like, teleporting the dead bodies out, and like 'reprinting' them with the mind imprint of the last mind waves or so. I forget the exact thing, but it was more like magic. Making an assumption based on nothing that it's on the battlefield is... silly, at best. Like; it's silly to assume that there wouldn't be a way of taking the person out of the battle first, since they'd be eliminated from the fight anyway.

5. Trust me, while Makuta are tough, Matoran are also rather tough; the Makuta would need to like chain powers to manage to get that bad.

As for the powers thing, I'm betting that'll be better detailed soon.

6. Um? Agreed about a sealed arena being best, but... The rest is silly. I've been talking with Scorp, and the fighters are there voluntarily; unless there's a massive thing that happens, therefore, I'd have this feeling that such a thing wouldn't be needed. Which, honestly, saves a lot of time and headaches.

7. That's partially an exaggeration, and partially because we encouraged that sort of stuff. There's a difference, and the fact that 99% of the RPG characters here in general are expies from other RPGs that player used anyway deals with other games. Like; Island of Pain was disconnected, but it was the players who made backstories that sort of connected with other things; despite being otherwise not an import. Bionifight was more like the perfect storm for that.

8. Honestly, agreed, but I'd prepare bigger, IMO... It's not exactly easy to make a small game fit bigger things; I think that was actually an issue with Bionifight too, honestly; we had more characters participating than we ever really expected... to the point where we could never have seen it coming, especially after all the remarks about tournament RPGs at the start.

What can I say, we really like breaking stuff via fictional characters.

Maybe there aren't any Light users allowed in the tournament because they're the villains of this universe.

In a world with Teridax of all people still working with the Order of Mata Nui, anything's possible.

The RPG has multiverse in the title. They probably would know that such is not the norm. And I'm not sure if it would make a difference if they were, considering how often evil characters are made for these games.

I really would like an actual explanation for why Light is being banned. If at all possible.

• Upvote 1

zsUPm2E.jpg?1

Twenty Toa of light team up and blow all the Makuta off the face of the planet, system's broken, game dies.  

I think you're forgetting that light is just as vulnerable to shadow as shadow is to light. If there's more Makuta than there are Av-Toa, then the Makuta are still quite easily going to win, given their abundance of other powers. 

Embers - a new Bionicle Epic - Coming 2024 

Class Is Out - A Farewell To Corpus Rahkshi - Chapters/Review

BZPRPG Characters - Minnorak, Kain, T'harrak, Savis, Vazaria, Lash

BZPRPG Mercenary Group - The Outsiders - Description - History - Base

Ghosts Of Bara Magna - Ash Tribe - Precipere - Kehla, Somok, Skrall, Gayle, Avinus, Zha'ar