Rumor: Bionicle's return in 2015

I see that most of you do not understand my interpretation of complicated. I do not count the amount of snap on armor or wings complicated because they require the user to manually flap them up and down. I count turning a gear and having that moving gear do something. This is a flaw that Bionicle suffered through alot in the later years. No, I do not count one big functional set per year as enough. Look back at, say, 2003 (for a change) and tell me: did any set that year not do something? Compare that to 2008. Novelty spinning shields aside, did any set that year have a real Technic function? Better yet, look at HeroFactory 2010. The main sets were like 12 pieces, costed 12 dollars, and worst of all, did absolutely nothing. Not to mention the bigger sets of the year... My point is Lego has abandoned the technic feel of sets (if you want proof, get a canister and look at the Technic logo from 2001) After Bionicle, well, split from Technic, slowly but surely the functions declined. There was once a time when a set wasn't just an action figure. Not to mention my HATRED for the friggen bags. What, is Lego too cheap to get boxes?!? GRRRRRRRR!!!! :(

I did not realize you were referring to functions — I thought you were referring to complexity in terms of builds. It would be cool to see something like the classic gear functions return, though if it requires chunky overspecialized gearboxes then in my opinion it is not worth the reduction in creative building potential. Generally, I prefer posability and creative building potential to gear functions. If the LEGO Group can find a way to integrate gear functions in sets this size without reducing either of those, good on them.

I definitely prefer Hero Factory's foil bags to boxes or canisters, though. Once you flatten a box out it's useless for storage. A canister can't be flattened out, and I have a bunch of wasted space in my bedroom to prove it. But a bag takes up only as much space as its contents demand. And for that matter, I've found them to be sturdier than cardboard boxes anyhow. Generally when I try to use cardboard boxes to transport sets (especially smaller sets), they get banged up pretty bad. But the resealable foil bags remain in relatively good condition after years of use.

I don't think anybody is going to try to defend the 2010 Hero Factory heroes. They were awful in my opinion, and I'm glad the new building system emerged so soon to replace them. Ideally, the Hero Factory theme should have STARTED with the new building system, but I guess it wasn't ready for release when those sets debuted.

But regarding 2008 BIONICLE, all three of the year's main vehicle sets had a Technic function, so there's that. Functions like that tend to make more sense for vehicles than for action figures anyhow. If you're going to complain about a lack of Technic functions, complain about 2006. Not one of the sets that year had even so much as a spinning shield. The only non-launcher Technic functions were in the System-based playsets, and I don't even remember quite how many those offered.

Edited by Aanchir: Rachira of Time
  • Upvote 3

I'm from those who thinks that the design of the 2001 to 2003 waves of sets were pure genius. Expecially the Turaga and the Rahi. After all, those years were the best selling years of the franchise. But don't get me wrong, I think it's not likely that they get back to that design.

Edited by I Exist
  • Upvote 2

"I feel far far away from everything I've ever known, but when I look back, I think of you"
LewaKini.png
Credits to Eeko for the banner. Lewa is awesome.

I want it super complicated

And how do you think kids are going to handle that?

Just fine. As PrismWind said, it'll work out for them. If they need any help with a set of the approximate complexity of, say, Cahdok and Gahdok, then their parents can help them out. Then they'll play the heck out of them.

Seriously. They might not; I often get the feeling that the average six or seven year old is much smarter than Lego and most BZPower members give them credit for.

For real! I did stuff like Cahdok and gahdok when I was 6 just fine! ######, I built them myself. So long as you follow the instructions, its not that hard!

I built all the different forms of sets like this when I was six, too. It might be tricky for a few people, but it probably wouldn't too hard for most.

Find (digital) me under the name Azani on YouTube, Eurobricks, Discord, the BioMedia Project and the TTV Message Boards.

Please check out Project AFTERMAN on Tumblr and Facebook; I'm proud to have worked as their PR Manager and as a writer.

AAZZ.jpg

I'm from those who thinks that the design of the 2001 to 2003 waves of sets were pure genius. Expecially the Turaga and the Rahi. After all, those years were the best selling years of the franchise. But don't get me wrong, I think it's not likely that they get back to that design.

The Rahi, yes, were pretty brilliant. They took the established brilliance of the Cyber-Slam/Competition sets that preceded them and stepped it up to the next level.

I'm a bit baffled that you'd hold the Turaga in such high esteem, though. I liked that they had different proportions (even if Nokama's short legs and loooooong arms were a bit bizarre), but generally they weren't very impressive sets. Their shoulders were very strange, and their articulation was generally lacking. It's a shame that there weren't any other Turaga after them (other than Dume, who was a Matoran clone), because with as much as Matoran designs had evolved by 2007, I imagine later Turaga sets could have been made much more impressive than the originals.

Generally, those early sets were brilliant for their time. Some, like the Bohrok, even hold up very well in hindsight, despite being repetitive clone builds. But I think later sets have made great strides in their own right. The Makuta set from 2003 was rather awkward, with lumpy shoulders, little to no articulation in his legs and a very boxy lower body. When you compare, say, the 2008 Takanuva set, the difference is striking, and I think it's more than worth the cost of a gear-driven swiveling waist function.

• Upvote 1

I agree. The Turaga look so simple yet had so many pieces and were really fun to build. I like their look and how they re-used the head piece to make their feet, etc. 

• Upvote 2

"I feel far far away from everything I've ever known, but when I look back, I think of you"
LewaKini.png
Credits to Eeko for the banner. Lewa is awesome.

the first I just want to see a source on, because people keep throwing around general terms on how HF is selling ranging from "it's selling poorly" to "it's selling great" and I want some specifics.

We never get any actual sales figures, which is frustrating. We can only go on Lego's occasional statements, which often lack important details. For instance, the '05 report says Bionicle's "sales did not live up to expectations". What were those expectations? By how far did the line fail to reach them?

Yeah, I read all annual reports from 2001-present, here's what they mention

2001: A sharp increase in sales was partially the work of BIONICLE

2002: BIONICLE sales remained high, it was the best-selling theme of the year.

2003: BIONICLE sales fell about 20%, but it was still LEGO's best-selling theme.

2004: BIONICLE was the best-selling product again, no info about sales.

2005: like you said, sales did not live up to expectations, however it was still the best-selling theme.

2006: BIONICLE isn't mentioned.

2007:BIONICLE was one of LEGO's best sellers, however it did not show any growth. 

2008/2009/2010: BIONICLE isn't mentioned again.

As for Hero Factory...

2010: A growth in sales was partially due to Hero Factory.

2011/2012/2013: no mention 

very vague information...

...so in other words, Matoro Lives's claims were as baseless as they seemed. That was all I wanted to know.

• Upvote 1

What you all seem to forget is there are a few people who enjoy the HF building system. They could do a better job with it though, instead of churning out the same old humanoid figures every year. They did better with IFB - before anyone cites that - but the first wave of it still had humanoid features.

And I would appreciate some Technic vehicles, if only to please the gear-hungry crowd. (more purple technic lol) 

• Upvote 1

I understand that the new building system is here to stay, and I appreciate the benefits of the snap on pieces. However, I should like to see said pieces made more Technic-compatible. This could, I believe, be achieved by the replacement of the pin slots currently used with axle slots.  There needn't be any backwards compatibility problems, since pin pieces fit into axle slots. Mind you, there may be some good reason for the use of pin slots of which I am not aware, but as it stands, I fail to see why axle slots would not be an improvement.

gZsNWyr.png

(Credit to Nik the Three for the banner)

Even better, they could change current HF pieces to have pin or axle holes through the holes in the limbs. That would give the new limbs backwards compatibility with older HF pieces, whilst also giving Bionicle its own unique aesthetic and range of armour pieces.

The limbs would be changed so that the holes would like the middle one on this: 155px-6001085.jpg

Edited by Makuta Miras
  • Upvote 2

VBWj75sh.png

Even better, they could change current HF pieces to have pin or axle holes through the holes in the limbs. That would give the new limbs backwards compatibility with older HF pieces, whilst also giving Bionicle its own unique aesthetic and range of armour pieces.

The limbs would be changed so that the holes would like the middle one on this: 155px-6001085.jpg

Yea, that would actually be awesome. Is that an actual piece? If so I need to buy like millions of those :P

Tu2d6W7.jpg

The limbs would be changed so that the holes would like the middle one on this: 155px-6001085.jpg

Yea, that would actually be awesome. Is that an actual piece? If so I need to buy like millions of those :P

Yep. It came with the blue, eastern style, electric dragon.

• Upvote 1

f495fc6cc0a66dd12aa49fce021072a1.gif

The limbs would be changed so that the holes would like the middle one on this: http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130130001409/lego/images/thumb/5/5d/6001085.jpg/155px-6001085.jpg

The problem with having all the limbs like that piece is that it would ruin one of the key advantages of having ball joints in the first place — having the ability to attach a ball cup or shell to a guided ball at any angle. If limbs were all like that, shells would not be able to snap to the sides of a beam. Neither would a simple Y-joint. Certain models like Furno Jet Machine, which have skeletons built from beams snapped together at unusual angles, would no longer be able to hold their shape.

Other people have sort of answered this question, but for reference, here's the piece on Bricklink and Brickset. It comes in an impressive 22 sets (even more once the summer HF sets come out, since it appears in most of them) and debuted in 2012. Evo XL Machine is the set that currently has the most of them, with five total. That set is actually a very good parts pack in general. Edited by Aanchir
  • Upvote 2

I'd like them more complicated, in the function sense, probably. Something that takes me more than a glance at the instructions and two minutes to build. :P

And, actually, I guess the Turaga would be a good example of this. Sure, it's a small set (I love them, though). But if someone didn't really follow the instructions, they probably wouldn't be able to build it (assuming they hadn't built one before, of course XD).

• Upvote 1
rsz_screenshot_from_un_chien_andalou.jpg
My Writing Blog (more writing coming soon!)

My Bionicle/LEGO Blog (defunct)

Hyfudiar on Spotify (noise/drone/experimental music)

I'd like them more complicated, in the function sense, probably. Something that takes me more than a glance at the instructions and two minutes to build. :P

And, actually, I guess the Turaga would be a good example of this. Sure, it's a small set (I love them, though). But if someone didn't really follow the instructions, they probably wouldn't be able to build it (assuming they hadn't built one before, of course XD).

Well, the Turaga definitely wouldn't take any experienced LEGO builder two minutes to build if they looked at the instructions. I think even the Toa Mata and Toa Nuva would basically be buildable without looking at the instructions, whereas even a set like Toxic Reapa or Bruizer might take longer due to a more complicated layering of parts.

Generally, though, I don't discriminate between different types of complexity. The complex parts of a model don't have to be hidden or surprising in any way for me to have an enjoyable building experience. Rather, the creativity of the design itself tends to be what I look for and appreciate, whether that means a carefully-constructed Technic mechanism or simply an arrangement of parts that fit together nicely and haven't been used to quite the same effect in previous sets.

Generally, I think that Hero Factory has done a good job with functions lately, though obviously this is a place where PrismWind and I fiercely disagree. This year's Breez Flea Machine is a great example, with what I believe to be the very first winch function in a constraction set. Evo XL Machine has a swiveling waist like Makuta from 2003. Obviously not every set has a function, but I think it's a bit unfair to criticize modern sets for this when generally, in order for every classic BIONICLE set to have a function, the same basic function had to be repeated six or more times with little to no alteration. I'll gladly go without functions in many sets if it means getting generally less repetitive designs. That makes all the sets feel more special to me, including the ones with functions and the ones without. If BIONICLE does come back, there's a good chance of having at least a few Technic functions, even without having to introduce a new building system or specialized gearboxes to accommodate them.

• Upvote 6

I want Bionicle back really badly, but I don't think now is a good time for it. Lego has been focusing on younger audiences and I feel like if they brought it back now it would be too much like Hero Factory or Chima. I think it would cease to retain it's sort of serious storyline that we came to love and become a cheap Cartoon Network series or annoying cartoon-like thing with no room for expansion or exploration by fans. The fact that the Bionicle community can come up with their own content for it even years after its "death" is exactly what made it so special. While I can't deny that Ninjago, Chima, HF, etc. have their own cult followings, Bionicle was such a giant and important part of Lego's history that if they remade it with the quality (and prices - don't even get me started) as they seem to have going now it would just cave in on itself and make a bunch of canon things nobody really likes. I feel like the idea is in better hands with it's fans here than with Lego, which although much older than us, are still experimenting with exactly what they are and who they're for. In short, I would love for Bionicle to come back if I knew it wouldn't become sucked up in the mainstream younger audience fad that Lego seems to be trying out.

Herro there, person.

How are you?

In short, I would love for Bionicle to come back if I knew it wouldn't become sucked up in the mainstream younger audience fad that Lego seems to be trying out.

It's not a fad, it's what Lego has been about since the beginning. The target audiance has never grown higher or lower for this stuff - it's always been 8-14. Or something like that. 

• Upvote 4

I'm at the level that I can build almost without instructions. If it's a big set then well, trial and error/

Pretty sure the target audience doesn't want a puzzle that can literally be assembled any number of ways but have one way be the correct way. Heck I don't even want that. And as has been said many times before, The HF building system isn't really less complicated than the non-HF one. It just uses a different system. One that is fun and easy to build off of I might add. Not that bionicle had it wrong, but using ball joints opens up some nice building styles that bionicle didn't use.

• Upvote 1

3DS Freind Code: 1693-0634-1082 Name: Joey

I also have Mario Kart 7, Animal Crossing: New Leaf, Pokemon Y and Kid Icarus: Uprising

PM me to add me. 

Steam profile

Click here for the BZP Destiny Group

In short, I would love for Bionicle to come back if I knew it wouldn't become sucked up in the mainstream younger audience fad that Lego seems to be trying out.

There simply is no way this isn't parody.

• Upvote 8

20383310448_7d514f8ffa.jpg

Spoiler Alert

While I can't deny that Ninjago, Chima, HF, etc. have their own cult followings, Bionicle was such a giant and important part of Lego's history that if they remade it with the quality (and prices - don't even get me started) as they seem to have going now it would just cave in on itself and make a bunch of canon things nobody really likes.

At risk of "getting you started", the prices of sets today are generally pretty consistent with what they used to be when you take inflation rates into account. In fact, when you adjust for inflation, many sets today offer more parts for less money than certain BIONICLE series. Case in point: every $10 Hero Factory set for the past two years has offered between 41 and 59 pieces. The Piraka offered just 41 or 42 pieces for $9 in 2006, which would be $10.60 today. The Vahki offered only 32 pieces for $9 in 2004, which would be $11.32 today. Even the original Toa Nuva offered just 36–44 pieces (40 pieces average) for $8, which would be $10.56 today. Inflation can take a serious toll, and coupled with other rising costs in production and distribution of LEGO sets it's a marvel LEGO prices haven't increased considerably. I don't think prices should be any serious concern in a BIONICLE revival or any new constraction theme.
  • Upvote 6

It's not a fad, it's what Lego has been about since the beginning. The target audiance has never grown higher or lower for this stuff - it's always been 8-14. Or something like that. 

Sure, that part is true, but just compare an episode of HF to, say, one of the Bionicle movies. Now there's now admitting that those movies were pretty cheesy, but something about the HF series just seems a bit "younger-focused" to be (IDK about the newer episodes; the last one I saw was Breakout)

While I can't deny that Ninjago, Chima, HF, etc. have their own cult followings, Bionicle was such a giant and important part of Lego's history that if they remade it with the quality (and prices - don't even get me started) as they seem to have going now it would just cave in on itself and make a bunch of canon things nobody really likes.

At risk of "getting you started", the prices of sets today are generally pretty consistent with what they used to be when you take inflation rates into account. In fact, when you adjust for inflation, many sets today offer more parts for less money than certain BIONICLE series. Case in point: every $10 Hero Factory set for the past two years has offered between 41 and 59 pieces. The Piraka offered just 41 or 42 pieces for $9 in 2006, which would be $10.60 today. The Vahki offered only 32 pieces for $9 in 2004, which would be $11.32 today. Even the original Toa Nuva offered just 36–44 pieces (40 pieces average) for $8, which would be $10.56 today. Inflation can take a serious toll, and coupled with other rising costs in production and distribution of LEGO sets it's a marvel LEGO prices haven't increased considerably. I don't think prices should be any serious concern in a BIONICLE revival or any new constraction theme.

True, but I believe titans' prices have increases a bit. Titans used to be around $20, wasn't Witch Doctor almost $40?

• Upvote 2

sig.jpg

Lego is a toy company. They make toys for children. They have always done this. They market toys to children because they have always far and above been the majority that buys their product. It is not a close ratio. It is and has always been children.

Lego did not "shift" their focus age group. We shifted out of it.

• Upvote 9

20383310448_7d514f8ffa.jpg

Spoiler Alert

True, but I believe titans' prices have increases a bit. Titans used to be around $20, wasn't Witch Doctor almost $40?

Some titans have always been bigger than others (Exo-Toa, for instance, was $35). Witch Doctor was $30. He was also a 331-piece behemoth of a set, as tall as the earlier $30 Takanuva from 2008 who boasted just 267 pieces. Other $30 sets included Vezon & Fenrakk (281 pieces), Toa Lhikan & Kikanalo (215 pieces), and Maxilos & Spinax (256 pieces).

$20 titan sets in BIONICLE were indeed plentiful, though, and many of them had a pretty decent value. But of course if you look at inflation and other factors it's clear that many of them would be more expensive if released today. A $20 set like the 199-piece Makuta released in 2003 would cost $25.82 today, so its value is roughly on par with the 193-piece Evo XL Machine or 188-piece Surge & Rocka Combat Machine (both $25). It does come out slightly ahead, but not by a whole lot (and other sets come out far behind similarly-priced HF sets).

If anyone wants to know, I'm doing all these conversions on WolframAlpha, an incredibly useful site. You're free to double-check my math or even do your own comparisons.

Edited by Aanchir
  • Upvote 1

Aside from Speeda Demon, which was $35 for 192 pieces. :P Or Stormer XL, which was $25 for 88 pieces. Even by Bionicle standards, that's atrocious. (Also Speeda's piece count was inflated by all the gold spikes.) I loved that set because of all the purple technic and technic-compatible limb parts, among other things, but dang it's expensive. I shouldn't have to pay that much for the good stuff. 

Anyway, I don't think Bionicle coming back or not coming back is going to have much of an effect on pricing. I think we're just going to have to live with it. :shrugs:

@Makuta Sardox: I didn't notice too much of a difference on the surface. Bionicle had depth that HF does not, but that didn't quite evidence until 2004-05, and cheesy dialogue was never eliminated from either franchise. I think Heroes have moments when they are serious and not cheesy, and Bionicle characters do joke around a little bit at least. Pohatu and Lewa tend to be good at that. Despite the higher quality of Bionicle, I think both are clearly aimed at kids. 

This is probably a bad analogue, but if you've ever seen the film Limitless and watched the TV show LOST, you can tell that both are aimed at adults. Limitless is an awful movie, with sloppy storytelling and an unclear premise that just gets more confusing - LOST, at least at first, unfolds logically. It's pretty clear that LOST is higher quality, but it's also clear that they have the same target audience. Same idea here. 

Edited by fishers64
  • Upvote 1

you guys think bionicle is expensive try playing warhammer :( average thing there is 40-50$ a cheap collection is considered 500-1000$ :'(

wearewaiting.gif

As long as there is one bionicle fan out there there is still hope for bionicle to return. Keep faith. Bionicle is amazing.

People who think BIONICLE wasn't cheesy always confuse me. It was a line aimed at kids, even its "dark and gritty" (do people really think BIONICLE was ever actually dark and gritty????) moments were for kids, and often seemed to be pretending to be dark. Random nonsensical character deaths aren't dark or gritty, they are examples of poor storytelling. In the same vein, explaining every little minute and technical detail of the storyline isn't "deep and complex", it's a misguided notion of depth that ends up ruining and removing all true complexity.

BIONICLE's story always had more in common with HERO FACTORY's than people here like to admit. They are both for kids. Always have been.

If BIONICLE comes back, it will still be for kids.

• Upvote 5

31399314352_5890b9b8a3_o.jpg

the first I just want to see a source on, because people keep throwing around general terms on how HF is selling ranging from "it's selling poorly" to "it's selling great" and I want some specifics.

We never get any actual sales figures, which is frustrating. We can only go on Lego's occasional statements, which often lack important details. For instance, the '05 report says Bionicle's "sales did not live up to expectations". What were those expectations? By how far did the line fail to reach them?

Yeah, I read all annual reports from 2001-present, here's what they mention

2001: A sharp increase in sales was partially the work of BIONICLE

2002: BIONICLE sales remained high, it was the best-selling theme of the year.

2003: BIONICLE sales fell about 20%, but it was still LEGO's best-selling theme.

2004: BIONICLE was the best-selling product again, no info about sales.

2005: like you said, sales did not live up to expectations, however it was still the best-selling theme.

2006: BIONICLE isn't mentioned.

2007:BIONICLE was one of LEGO's best sellers, however it did not show any growth. 

2008/2009/2010: BIONICLE isn't mentioned again.

As for Hero Factory...

2010: A growth in sales was partially due to Hero Factory.

2011/2012/2013: no mention 

very vague information...

...so in other words, Matoro Lives's claims were as baseless as they seemed. That was all I wanted to know.

I got my info from a site called brickpicker.com. Unfortunately, the post with all the sales info on the 2 themes was shut down because they didn't want any legal trouble with lego. I did make notes of some of the more important sales details, but I won't post any official numbers because I don't know if its allowed. I always fact check before making a post, and I never make up random statements out of thin air

I'm not sure where you got those statements on bionicle sales, but I know for a fact most of them are incorrect. Bionicle sales actually peaked in 2003. The only reason lego didn't cancel Bionicle back then (there was talk of cancellation at the time) was because the sales were at such a record-breaking high. Lego originally planned for bionicle to be a short-lived technic based theme like slizers, robo riders, throwbots, etc. They had reached a good ending point in the story... as far as anyone knew Makuta was dead, and the toa had won. The outrageously large sales were what caused lego to reconsider cancelling Bionicle. After 2003 sales dropped by about 5,000 to 10,000 sets each year until 2009 when the sales dropped by almost 50,000 sets that year.

People who think BIONICLE wasn't cheesy always confuse me. It was a line aimed at kids, even its "dark and gritty" (do people really think BIONICLE was ever actually dark and gritty????) moments were for kids, and often seemed to be pretending to be dark. Random nonsensical character deaths aren't dark or gritty, they are examples of poor storytelling. In the same vein, explaining every little minute and technical detail of the storyline isn't "deep and complex", it's a misguided notion of depth that ends up ruining and removing all true complexity.

BIONICLE's story always had more in common with HERO FACTORY's than people here like to admit. They are both for kids. Always have been.

You guys are all forgetting that there is a difference between kid friendly and childish. Lego can easily make it so that bionicle appeals to all ages. There are lots of children's shows out there that have adult fans as well i.e. Star wars: The Clone Wars, Young Justice, DCAU shows, Avatar: TLA/LOK, etc. Lego just needs to get their heads out of their butts and write/design something more along those lines. Why have something for one or the other, when you can have something for both. Everybody wins if lego did this.

• Upvote 2

POWER TO THE FANS

LETS TAKE BACK BZP FROM THE HERO FACTORY FANBOYS

STOP THIS POINTLESS CENSORSHIP AND SHEATHE THE BAN HAMMERS

BRING BACK THE FRIENDLY AND INFORMATIVE BZP

SUPPORT TTV AND GET ON THE HYPE TRAIN

I want it super complicated

And how do you think kids are going to handle that?

Just fine. As PrismWind said, it'll work out for them. If they need any help with a set of the approximate complexity of, say, Cahdok and Gahdok, then their parents can help them out. Then they'll play the heck out of them.

Seriously. They might not; I often get the feeling that the average six or seven year old is much smarter than Lego and most BZPower members give them credit for.

For real! I did stuff like Cahdok and gahdok when I was 6 just fine! ######, I built them myself. So long as you follow the instructions, its not that hard!

I built all the different forms of sets like this when I was six, too. It might be tricky for a few people, but it probably wouldn't too hard for most.

Not all people are like just a few of you. I'm not intending to be rude(but if I am, then I apologize), but some people may be younger than the "recommended age level"(which doesn't seem like something being used in our current generation) when they get introduced to Bionicle/Lego.Or they may be older, but have little experience with Lego or construction toys in general. Or they may not be as "skilled" as some people.

There are many different possibilities surrounding the people using Lego, and the ones that I just listed are just some of them. And like one of Makaru's posts above said, Lego has always been made for kids. They probably are not going to change that because a handful of kids build better than others.

You guys are all forgetting that there is a difference between kid friendly and childish. Lego can easily make it so that bionicle appeals to all ages. There are lots of children's shows out there that have adult fans as well i.e. Star wars: The Clone Wars, Young Justice, DCAU shows, Avatar: TLA/LOK, etc. Lego just needs to get their heads out of their butts and write/design something more along those lines. Why have something for one or the other, when you can have something for both. Everybody wins if lego did this.

If you think the issue with LEGO's storytelling is that it's childish, you've got another think coming. As said, LEGO stories have always been written for kids. Their storylines have always been kid-friendly. However, at least as far as Bionicle and Hero Factory are concerned, it's never been childish. My beef with the Hero Factory writing definitely isn't some misplaced notion of childishness (besides some forced comic relief); it's just terribly written. If BIONICLE's new story sucks, it won't be because they're focusing too hard on making it for kids, but because sometimes they just suck at writing.

I got my info from a site called brickpicker.com. Unfortunately, the post with all the sales info on the 2 themes was shut down because they didn't want any legal trouble with lego. I did make notes of some of the more important sales details, but I won't post any official numbers because I don't know if its allowed. I always fact check before making a post, and I never make up random statements out of thin air

I'm not sure where you got those statements on bionicle sales, but I know for a fact most of them are incorrect. Bionicle sales actually peaked in 2003. The only reason lego didn't cancel Bionicle back then (there was talk of cancellation at the time) was because the sales were at such a record-breaking high. Lego originally planned for bionicle to be a short-lived technic based theme like slizers, robo riders, throwbots, etc. They had reached a good ending point in the story... as far as anyone knew Makuta was dead, and the toa had won. The outrageously large sales were what caused lego to reconsider cancelling Bionicle. After 2003 sales dropped by about 5,000 to 10,000 sets each year until 2009 when the sales dropped by almost 50,000 sets that year.

Hmm. I got all that info from TLG's Annual Reports (here). I'll see if I can use the wayback machine to find that sales post you mentioned.

EDIT: Would you happen to know around when these articles were deleted, so I know exactly when to search?

Edited by MakutaSardrox123

sig.jpg

I want Bionicle back really badly, but I don't think now is a good time for it. Lego has been focusing on younger audiences and I feel like if they brought it back now it would be too much like Hero Factory or Chima.

Maybe that's why now is a good time. If stuff like Chima has the younger audience, then BIONICLE might be a good hook for a slightly older audience (and of course, us). LEGO's proven before that they can do slight audience differentiation. Heck, '01 BIONICLE was darker than Chima or Ninjago are today.

Making brickfilms since 2007.

Check out my latest animations:

, and Avengers Tower!

The first episode of Nuva,

Magnetic Mania, is now live! Check it out!

burning_logo.jpg

Now I'm really curious as to where exactly you are getting those numbers from. I'm pretty sure I recall it being said several times on several places that BIONICLE sales peaked in 2002. I've also heard about LEGO considering cancelling BIONICLE in 2003, though. As far as those drops per year, never heard of them before. Could you provide a source?

Maybe that's why now is a good time. If stuff like Chima has the younger audience, then BIONICLE might be a good hook for a slightly older audience (and of course, us). LEGO's proven before that they can do slight audience differentiation. Heck, '01 BIONICLE was darker than Chima or Ninjago are today.

Was it? What about MNOG? I wouldn't call that dark by any means, except for the final fight perhaps, which honestly was a bit scary actually. 2001 had a mysterious atmosphere, yes, far more than Ninjago or Chima, but I wouldn't really call it darker. Watch the Ninjago season 3 finale and tell me which one is "darker". :P

-Gata signoff.png

Edited by Gatanui

- Gata

signoffLarge.png

Please don't use my avatar or signature without permission, thanks! ^_^

Maybe darker was the wrong word, though it did have elements that were darker than Chima and Ninjago (mostly). I'm not entirely sure what the right word would be, but as much as I love the Chima and Ninjago series and video games, I can't help but feel like a lot of it's a bit forced. For the most part, the story in BIONICLE is more natural and seems to flow better, and in terms of structure and writing seems a tad more mature. I'm sure a lot of people will disagree with me (and I don't blame them, seeing as I'm very biased in BIONICLE's favour) but I think BIONICLE also had a stronger sense of self. Man, that sounded pretentious.

• Upvote 1

Making brickfilms since 2007.

Check out my latest animations:

, and Avengers Tower!

The first episode of Nuva,

Magnetic Mania, is now live! Check it out!

burning_logo.jpg

Now I'm really curious as to where exactly you are getting those numbers from. I'm pretty sure I recall it being said several times on several places that BIONICLE sales peaked in 2002. I've also heard about LEGO considering cancelling BIONICLE in 2003, though. As far as those drops per year, never heard of them before. Could you provide a source?

Yeah, I've always heard BIONICLE peaked in 2002. If there was ANY reason for it to be kept around after 2003, it's because 2003 was when it was really and truly one of the LEGO Group's strongest lifelines. Unlike previous years, there were no new Harry Potter or Star Wars or Spider-Man movies released that year, and sales for those otherwise successful themes suffered as a result. BIONICLE, as an in-house story theme, didn't rely on a media presence outside the LEGO Group's control to remain successful, so it helped keep the LEGO Group afloat for at least that year.