OFFICIAL Bionicle 2015 Topic

Makaru

Greg had way too much creative power. Old Bionicle pretty much became GREG BIONICLE instead of LEGO BIONICLE.

Annnyyywayyyy. I'm hoping that Bionicle gets some line exclusive shells (not cheap shell add-ons this time) considering that the LEGO Star Wars line gets exclusive shells. I mean, that's a constraction series that's probably only going to last as long as the Marvel and DC constraction lines lasted. Bionicle kind of got screwed over on that side... of course maybe we would have that if a lot of the budget wasn't blown on Golden Masks that didn't really need to happen and barely benefit the community at all.  :P

The golden masks probably barely made up a fraction of the theme's budget. The cost of those masks is almost purely materials-based: the engineering and tooling had already been done for the plastic molds, and unlike the actual parts in sets, they never needed to produce more than a single copy of each gold mask.

But keep trying to find new excuses for why "Bionicle deserves better". I'm sure that'll never get old.

Point out where I said BIONICLE "deserves better", would you kindly?(References, references..)  ;)

Nah, I BIONICLE is a niche theme, it doesn't DESERVE better, and it has gotten quite a bit for a theme LEGO seems a little weary with, I'm just saying they seem to have dedicated a smidge more to the Star Wars constraction sets by adding whole new shells, something that I would have loved to see them do with Bionicle. We did get some cool masks and amazing builds, mind you, it's just that it would have been wonderful beyond all means to have had a few shells with that BIONICLE asthetic (and more interesting molds with different shapes. Maybe even shells that have a back to them! The current shells have a bloby shape that, while it can be used in appealing ways, starts to look rather mediocre due to not really having an aesthetic besides being bloby and having an unfinished look at the ends. That's just me though). I understand that these are some very high expectations for a line that has just started out, but I'm sincerely hoping we get something like this next year, so that the line has basic muscle/limb shaping parts that form an identity for everything beyond just your average shell piece that we see in every other constraction line. Maybe something rougher or bulkier? Ooooh, I like triangles. Remember the Metru arms? I'd like a shell piece that sort of resembles that aesthetically. Maybe some slimmer pieces so we can have backs to the legs of the next sets (sort of like you see with Obi, his legs look really nice due to the slimmer, new shell piece combined with the IFB little hand-claw-stabby thingy) so that we don't have big calves on all of our Toa if they decide to give them back leg armor as well?   :P

Edited by BlatantlyHeroic

Greg had way too much creative power. Old Bionicle pretty much became GREG BIONICLE instead of LEGO BIONICLE.

Annnyyywayyyy. I'm hoping that Bionicle gets some line exclusive shells (not cheap shell add-ons this time) considering that the LEGO Star Wars line gets exclusive shells. I mean, that's a constraction series that's probably only going to last as long as the Marvel and DC constraction lines lasted. Bionicle kind of got screwed over on that side... of course maybe we would have that if a lot of the budget wasn't blown on Golden Masks that didn't really need to happen and barely benefit the community at all.  :P

The golden masks probably barely made up a fraction of the theme's budget. The cost of those masks is almost purely materials-based: the engineering and tooling had already been done for the plastic molds, and unlike the actual parts in sets, they never needed to produce more than a single copy of each gold mask.

But keep trying to find new excuses for why "Bionicle deserves better". I'm sure that'll never get old.

Point out where I said BIONICLE "deserves better", would you kindly?(References, references..)  ;)

Nah, I BIONICLE is a niche theme, it doesn't DESERVE better, and it has gotten quite a bit for a theme LEGO seems a little weary with, I'm just saying they seem to have dedicated a smidge more to the Star Wars constraction sets by adding whole new shells, something that I would have loved to see them do with Bionicle. We did get some cool masks and amazing builds, mind you, it's just that it would have been wonderful beyond all means to have had a few shells with that BIONICLE asthetic (and more interesting molds with different shapes. Maybe even shells that have a back to them! The current shells have a bloby shape that, while it can be used in appealing ways, starts to look rather mediocre due to not really having an aesthetic besides being bloby and having an unfinished look at the ends. That's just me though). I understand that these are some very high expectations for a line that has just started out, but I'm sincerely hoping we get something like this next year, so that the line has basic muscle/limb shaping parts that form an identity for everything beyond just your average shell piece that we see in every other constraction line. Maybe something rougher or bulkier? Ooooh, I like triangles. Remember the Metru arms? I'd like a shell piece that sort of resembles that aesthetically. Maybe some slimmer pieces so we can have backs to the legs of the next sets (sort of like you see with Obi, his legs look really nice due to the slimmer, new shell piece combined with the IFB little hand-claw-stabby thingy) so that we don't have big calves on all of our Toa if they decide to give them back leg armor as well?   :P

I can definitely see what you mean, but I feel like no matter what, we're just gonna get the new sets anyway because they're all just so amazing because they're Bionicle.

4oIeWSz.jpgUhL9N9c.jpg8UUsogq.jpgzIJn7N0.jpg

That's fair. I'm sorry that I was rude. I've been pretty on-edge lately, so when I saw a comment that sounded like the entitled Bionicle fans who are all too common on sites like YouTube, I lashed out way more than was necessary.

I still disagree about the need for more shells, particularly since I feel the ones we have are generally good for the purposes they're serve... but that's just my personal taste. Same with the overall aesthetic (which you call "blobby)—after years of having to make sense of the classic theme's clashing textures and armor styles in MOCs and art, I much prefer the smooth, streamlined look of the CCBS, which allows sets to focus on a simple and unified-looking build and only apply detail sparingly, to better empasize specific traits or features. I do agree that Obi-Wan and Luke's legs look fantastic, and I'd love to see more of that sort of thing in future sets.

• Upvote 3

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

-SNIP-

Oh, boy. YouTube has caused me to rage a lot more than necessary. I feel anyone who goes to that site is at least partially willing to give up their sanity.

When it comes to Youtube, I come for the videos, and I stay for the... I don't stay. I leave. Immediately.

• Upvote 7

Hahaha! YouTube is just dreadful. On most of the Bionicle animation videos, there's this one guy whose username is one that references Artakha, and all of his comments are literally the most pessimistic thing anyone could say about the animations, and he then subjects his opinion upon everyone else like it's fact. He literally acts like viewing the animations positively is a sin.

• Upvote 1

Bionicle youtubers aren't that bad :dontgetit:  (I say as I cry, curled up in the corner of the room)

I'm on Youtube, am I really that bad?

A criticism toward a group of people as vast and diverse as the YouTube crowd isn't directed at one person, but rather a larger mass of people that formed a negative stereotype for themselves. There can be plenty of exceptions to the stereotype within the community. 

Don't worry, you're fine. I love you. 

bZpOwEr

Bionicle youtubers aren't that bad :dontgetit:  (I say as I cry, curled up in the corner of the room)

A criticism toward a group of people as vast and diverse as the YouTube crowd isn't directed at one person, but rather a larger mass of people that formed a negative stereotype for themselves. There can be plenty of exceptions to the stereotype within the community. 

Don't worry, you're fine. I love you.  

Hahaha, it's not as much the YouTubers as it is the people who comment.

*sniff* Thanks, that means a lot to me *sniff*

Also, I made a thing for people to do. Spread the word about it, even to those who hate it.

http://i.imgur.com/kbP5Svg.gifhttp://i.imgur.com/O8CcqC5.pnghttp://i.imgur.com/kbP5Svg.gif

Just as long as you are not a ZwardAx...          and being a ZwardAx is a very very bad thing  ^_^

(trust me, you will understand why I say that)

:akakunu: My Topics :akakunu:

MOCs: Construct-a-Astronaut

:voyanui: Find Me On :voyanui:

Flickr 10.gif Twitter 10.gif Youtube

Just as long as you are not a ZwardAx...          and being a ZwardAx is a very very bad thing  ^_^

I don't think it's very nice to call someone out especially when we were just talking about how it's not the individual people, but rather the stereotype the group has built for itself.

• Upvote 1

I looked up ZwardAx and the first thing I saw was, "Slenderman's Prey Has a Boyfriend" ...no thank you.

:smiletakua: :m_o: :w: :l: :e: :x: :a: :n: :m_d: :e: :r: :smiletol:

76561198067723583.pngAddFriend.png

|

"We are the Turaga of the new generation." ~Owlexander

YouTube - Imgur - Flickr - Bionicle RPG Chat

Cwog, just so you know this, the guy is part of the stereotype, I have talk to the guy and me and others really tried to help him, he doesn't listen to reason. Plus calling someone out would can be a good thing, I mean just look at BOTDF and Justin Bieber.

Also Forgeta what ever you do, don't look at the guy DeviantArt, it's not a safe place, especially the Slenderman stuff.

Cwog, just so you know this, the guy is part of the stereotype, I have talk to the guy and me and others really tried to help him, he doesn't listen to reason. Plus calling someone out would can be a good thing, I mean just look at BOTDF and Justin Bieber.

Also Forgeta what ever you do, don't look at the guy DeviantArt, it's not a safe place, especially the Slenderman stuff.

Too late... T~T

|

And the only problem that it make is that the shoulder are now not good looking, a big gap when you look at him from the top. Did I bring up about the right arm having the knob, while the left arm that also have a boomerang, dose not have a knob.

I think Pohatu is a pretty good set. The only thing I don't like about him is his mask's wobbling function. The launching function of the mask is fine, but the mask could have been filled in more to reduce the wobbling.

That's my least favorite part about all the sets.

|

Honestly I prefer the single arm motion to double.  Onua looks kind of silly swinging his hammer in one hand and just sort of flailing his other arm about.

To be fair, if Onua had only had one arm move then he couldn't dig very effectively in "adrenalin mode". So it's a lose-lose situation.

Most of the time when figures have two-handed weapons, I prefer both arms to move... but since Pohatu's weapons are technically throwing weapons, it makes sense that he'd get more accuracy and finesse out of throwing one at a time.

As for Pohatu's build, and I like the way he looks. His smaller-than-average size and bulk gives him a faster, more agile appearance, like an offensively-oriented soccer player. And it's nice that, like in 2001, he and Onua are the shortest of the six Toa. His color scheme is also rad. I would probably consider him my second-least favorite of the new Toa (after Tahu with his ridiculous Inika proportions), but that's more of a testament to how great the Toa this year are in general.

• Upvote 1

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Honestly I prefer the single arm motion to double.  Onua looks kind of silly swinging his hammer in one hand and just sort of flailing his other arm about.

To be fair, if Onua had only had one arm move then he couldn't dig very effectively in "adrenalin mode". So it's a lose-lose situation.

Most of the time when figures have two-handed weapons, I prefer both arms to move... but since Pohatu's weapons are technically throwing weapons, it makes sense that he'd get more accuracy and finesse out of throwing one at a time.

As for Pohatu's build, and I like the way he looks. His smaller-than-average size and bulk gives him a faster, more agile appearance, like an offensively-oriented soccer player. And it's nice that, like in 2001, he and Onua are the shortest of the six Toa. His color scheme is also rad. I would probably consider him my second-least favorite of the new Toa (after Tahu with his ridiculous Inika proportions), but that's more of a testament to how great the Toa this year are in general.

I mean no offense to you or your opinion, but could you please explain what you mean by Tahu's proportions being ridiculous?

I'm not sure what he meant exactly about Inika proportions, but Tahu's are definitely pretty ridiculous. His legs are absurdly long, while his torso and arms remain as short as on any other Toa (except Lewa, who actually has longer forearms) . It looks really silly.

Anyway, I've said this before and I'll say it again: Pohatu isn't actually bad at all. He's just less interesting than the other Toa. Which is alright, it had to be someone. I like him.

AXKP5KC.png

As a man with long legs, I take offence to that. It's not like humans are equally proportional either! Long legs and an average torso and average arms for a human being. It happens. It's real. Now say sorry. X'D

Tahu's arms reach about mid thigh. That's pretty much how long arms are supposed to be. Why do people have such an issue with tall people? <.<

Edited by BlatantlyHeroic
  • Upvote 1

I'm not sure what he meant exactly about Inika proportions, but Tahu's are definitely pretty ridiculous. His legs are absurdly long, while his torso and arms remain as short as on any other Toa (except Lewa, who actually has longer forearms) . It looks really silly.

Anyway, I've said this before and I'll say it again: Pohatu isn't actually bad at all. He's just less interesting than the other Toa. Which is alright, it had to be someone. I like him.

Yeah, Pohatu is really good. Compared to his other versions, I think 2015's is the coolest.

Other than his arms (which are much improved by their reduced length) and the placement of his shoulders two modules back from his hips, Tahu has basically the same proportions as a Toa Inika. Same leg length, (save for one module subtracted from the shins and added to the ankles), same shoulder width, same vertical distance between shoulders and hips. I think that's what Lyi was referring to.

I don't think those proportions are unbearable, and I've warmed up to him since getting to handle him in person, but he's far from my favorite of the new Toa (in fact, he's probably my least favorite or second least favorite). His upper legs are what bother me the most... they just don't flow too well compared to those of many of the other Toa.

To be fair, if Onua had only had one arm move then he couldn't dig very effectively in "adrenalin mode". So it's a lose-lose situation.\

Yeah, if there was some way of switching between one and two arm mode (short of disassembling the mechanism) that would be great, but I'm not a big fan of Onua's "digging claw" motion so in this case I side with a single-arm function. :P

Also, I'd say Tahu is my second favorite of the new Toa, just to springboard off the current discussion.  Proportions aside I mostly like the design.

Also my Protector of Fire arrived today.  Pretty cool construction, needs elbows badly.

OpAXNpl.jpg