OFFICIAL Bionicle 2015 Topic

Makaru

But the images and the sets they portray are undeniably made by Lego, even if Lego themselves didn't release them. And given the images are now being used for advertising just a few months from the official release, I think it's safe to say they are just about final.

Yes, they were made by lego. But someone slipped by their non-confidality policy. Hence why they are called "leaks"

I think the point people are trying to make is that we do know something about next year, even if we can't talk about it.

Hey, can the swirling energy around the mask be considered a Tornado of Creation?

• Upvote 1

On 9/29/2014, Greg Farshtey said:

"Just wanted to say a quick something --

A lot of you guys are BIONICLE fans, many from way back. It's no secret that you are some of the smartest, most loyal, and most dedicated fans out there. You, and you alone, have carried the torch for the line over the last four years. Hopefully, you will feel rewarded for your efforts by 2015 BIONICLE.

Regardless, I wanted to take this opportunity to say that I am really proud to be associated with you, and you should be really proud of yourselves"

Ordinarily, I don't do quotes, but this is special.

Fire Ice Water Stone Earth Air... I mean Jungle.

Bionicle: The Legacy Hero An attempt to put some magic back into Bionicle.

But the images and the sets they portray are undeniably made by Lego, even if Lego themselves didn't release them. And given the images are now being used for advertising just a few months from the official release, I think it's safe to say they are just about final.

Yes, they were made by lego. But someone slipped by their non-confidality policy. Hence why they are called "leaks"

I think the point people are trying to make is that we do know something about next year, even if we can't talk about it.

Hey, can the swirling energy around the mask be considered a Tornado of Creation?

we know everything about Bionicle 2015, 'cept the story.

hTeXGIU.png

Also, if you're a resident of the UK and like Bionicle, go ahead and join

us at this awesome Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/BFUK7/

Or are they? Remember Gnuklear? A better example would probably be the mutated edition Brutaka.

Most of the leaks that people have gotten excited about so far have been real. Sure, fakes exist. Usually, like the examples you named, extremely unconvincing ones. That doesn't mean that we should automatically assume that all high-quality images are fake. There's a difference between being skeptical and being suspicious to the point of paranoia. I also believe the latest batch of leaks are final or close enough to it that fans CAN legitimately draw certain conclusions from them.

However, the truth remains that even the newest, seemingly finalized images have not been officially released by LEGO. It's not clear just HOW the person who originally disclosed them got their hands on them, but in all honesty I do not think we will see an official reveal until New York Comic-Con or just before it. And until then, BZPower policy is not to discuss the contents of such images.

• Upvote 4

I personally don't want to see unity duty destiny to come back. It never made sense, and I think it's been overused by now.

You've got to be kidding me. This just makes me lose hope in the world...

Have you actually thought about that saying and why it was put there? Is it just suppose to sound cool? NO

Unity is your people, your tribe, those that you would fight for and that accept you. Without your unity you are weak. With it, you are strong. You work as a team for the benefit of not just yourself, but those in it.

Duty is what you do for your unity. The sacrifices you make, the things you do for it, even if you don't want to. Duty keeps it working and the fundamentals of your unity intact, so it can continue to grow and be. It also gives the unity something to do, something it must commit to, because it should.

Destiny, is what keeps the individuals, the parts, of the unity going. It opens up each members future, so not only does the unity matter, but their personal well-being as well. It gives each individual something to strive for and try to find. Destiny is a part of the individuals' story. And, the destiny of the unity, so that it continues to work to find what it really means.

Together, the combination creates something amazing. Something that can be related to and understood by more than just robots.

Unity, duty and destiny are simple and philosophical, and actually are IMPORTANT to the real world, which is part of what made Bionicle more than just a toy theme. It's what made it great. It taught me as a child what it is to be a hero and a good part of the world. Anyone who thinks they are meaningless and uninportant simply have not bothered to think about it enough.

I don't care about the symbol so much, but taking out UDD is taking away so much of the core of Bionicle and would just make it a Hero Factory. And I don't believe it was ever overused. Sure, it was used often, but in the span of ten years not that much. And this slogan was part of the core of Bionicle's story, so saying it was overused is like saying the whole purpose of the story of the heroes fighting for what's right was excessive. Abandoning UDD means giving up, letting evil win. And no matter what people say, good and heroes are not overated. If anything, they are underated. Because they are the ones who fight for more than just themselves. They resist temptation, corruption, and fight for truth, justice, love, mercy, not just because they want to, but it is the right thing to do.

Sorry if I sounded rude again, but I really really feel strongly about this. I only mean the best of things here.

• Upvote 10

It is definitely a good idea to not talk about the leaks.

Yes, yes it can

mnog3d_banner.jpg

biofight042_banner_plasmarun.png

-END OF LINE-

I personally don't want to see unity duty destiny to come back. It never made sense, and I think it's been overused by now.

Have you actually thought about that saying and why it was put there? Is it just suppose to sound cool? NO

Unity is your people, your tribe, those that you would fight for and that accept you. Without your unity you are weak. With it, you are strong. You work as a team for the benefit of not just yourself, but those in it.

Duty is what you do for your unity. The sacrifices you make, the things you do for it, even if you don't want to. Duty keeps it working and the fundamentals of your unity intact, so it can continue to grow and be. It also gives the unity something to do, something it must commit to, because it should.

Destiny, is what keeps the individuals, the parts, of the unity going. It opens up each members future, so not only does the unity matter, but their personal well-being as well. It gives each individual something to strive for and try to find. Destiny is a part of the individuals' story. And, the destiny of the unity, so that it continues to work to find what it really means.

Together, the combination creates something amazing. Something that can be related to and understood by more than just robots.

Unity, duty and destiny are simple and philosophical, and actually are IMPORTANT to the real world, which is part of what made Bionicle more than just a toy theme. It's what made it great. It taught me as a child what it is to be a hero and a good part of the world. Anyone who thinks they are meaningless and uninportant simply have not bothered to think about it enough.

I don't care about the symbol so much, but taking out UDD is taking away so much of the core of Bionicle and would just make it a Hero Factory. And I don't believe it was ever overused. Sure, it was used often, but in the span of ten years not that much. And this slogan was part of the core of Bionicle's story, so saying it was overused is like saying the whole purpose of the story of the heroes fighting for what's right was excessive. Abandoning UDD means giving up, letting evil win. And no matter what people say, good and heroes are not overated. If anything, they are underated. Because they are the ones who fight for more than just themselves. They resist temptation, corruption, and fight for truth, justice, love, mercy, not just because they want to, but it is the right thing to do.

Sorry if I sounded rude again, but I really really feel strongly about this. I only mean the best of things here.

Wow. That was said with meaning.

Edited by UngluedBike
  • Upvote 1

hTeXGIU.png

Also, if you're a resident of the UK and like Bionicle, go ahead and join

us at this awesome Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/BFUK7/

Wait... what? Thats like asking for Doctor Who without eccentric behaviour! Or Star Trek without Klingons!

Unity, Duty, Destiny is the centre point of existence to a Bionicle (at least from the MU) and you want it gone??

[leaked content discussion removed] 

Edited by Makaru
  • Upvote 3

-I was infected for the most part on April the 1st 7.gifBEWARE

The first time they introduced UD&D was in Mask of Light, and I remember being weirded out by them constantly shouting it as one, with that awful voice-acting. It was odd how they acted as if it had always been a part of the lore. 

And I don't know how often Unity/Duty/Destiny actually comes up in real life, but I've never had to band together with my tribe to achieve some kind of grand destiny. It made sense in Bionicle, where everybody was part of a giant robot, but to me it sounds oddly fascist when taken out of the context of a kid's story. It would worry me a lot to hear a politician saying something like that—it's kind of like talking about "The Greater Good."

Edited by Wrinkledlion X
  • Upvote 1

Or are they? Remember Gnuklear? A better example would probably be the mutated edition Brutaka. 

Both of those were obvious fakes. I should know, I helped make the former.

A legitimate leak and a fake leak are ridiculously easy to distinguish. People are just gullible and get overexcited about something that can be debunked by just looking at it a few seconds more.

• Upvote 1

A legitimate leak and a fake leak are ridiculously easy to distinguish. People are just gullible and get overexcited about something that can be debunked by just looking at it a few seconds more.

I never understand how people fell for the Brutaka. It had camera flash on the model in several places. ^_^

Edited by Shadow Destroyer

shadow_destroyer_banner.jpg
Thank you to the Dark Beings Banner and Avatar Shop for the banner! Brickshelf Gallery  BZPRPG Profiles 

I never understand how people fell for the Brutaka. It had camera flash on the model in several places. ^_^

EXACTLY. I have said before that I have no idea how people ever fell for that. It could only have seemed more fake if they had written "this is fake" on it.

• Upvote 1

*snip*

The first time they introduced UD&D was in Mask of Light, and I remember being weirded out by them constantly shouting it as one, with that awful voice-acting. It was odd how they acted as if it had always been a part of the lore. 

And I don't know how often Unity/Duty/Destiny actually comes up in real life, but I've never had to band together with my tribe to achieve some kind of grand destiny. It made sense in Bionicle, where everybody was part of a giant robot, but to me it sounds oddly fascist when taken out of the context of a kid's story. It would worry me a lot to hear a politician saying something like that—it's kind of like talking about "The Greater Good."

It doesn't have to be seen to be real. Many when we're young hear of love, and we don't understand, but we still take others word for it and believe it to be real until the day we feel it in order to truly understand it. UDD is not necessarily used widely around the world, but the concepts of it have, and it works. It's more than just an idea in a story, it's something that's true whether or not you see it. It's still something we as individuals have to understand and believe. 

It is a type of philosophy like any other. Many hear sayings that philosophers and brilliant minds come up with but they don't truly understand them until they think about it and absorb its truths.

And UDD is more than just about the greater good. It's about the individual too. Every part in the whole has to work in order for the whole to work. The greater good is only as good as the individual good.

*snip*

Wow. That was said with meaning.

Thanks, but it's the truth. Above all, UDD is what I love the most about Bionicle. I make jokes, I act silly, but people who think I'm immature are dead wrong. Life is about enjoying yourself and having fun, but also about doing what has to be done and understanding the truth. I refuse to live an empty life. People can say what they want to, but I know this is true.

• Upvote 2

Unity, Duty, and Destiny were OK as a concept. I just wish the theme hadn't obsessed over them to quite the extent it did, and made them out to be lofty, profound concepts rather than fairly generic themes and values.

I've had BIONICLE fans argue to me that BIONICLE was more complex and philosophical than Ninjago just because it used the word "unity" instead of "teamwork" or "friendship". In reality, they mean more or less the same thing, except for "friendship" which is by far the most meaningful and profound of the three, because it's not just about sticking together — it's about sticking together for a reason (besides just strength in numbers).

In general, I think franchises like Ninjago have done a much better job than BIONICLE about actually teaching valuable lessons and not just drilling the same redundant ones into people's heads over and over again. We get it, sticking together, taking responsibility, and making the most of the hand you're dealt are important. It doesn't have to be the theme of every movie. Or if it is, at least challenge them in unique and interesting ways, and don't just make your heroes fight with each other because they have terrible people skills.

• Upvote 5

I hated shoehorning the UDD thing into the MoL film, and I hated it being shoved into everything after. It popped up out of nowhere nearly three years into the franchise, and doesn't play even a minor role in what I consider to be the "core" of BIONICLE. It felt so forced and out of place. I remember the first time they retconned it into the lore in MoL, and it really threw me out of the film. No thanks.

• Upvote 3

31399314352_5890b9b8a3_o.jpg

Yeah, the cartoonishly bad attitudes of all the characters in the films kind of undermined the message they were trying to go for. 

Also the fact that "Destiny" in Bionicle is this absurdly complex, arbitrary, predetermined thing. I don't really mind that every character has a predetermined destiny, but it's kind of a bad thing to have in a slogan when it works that way. 

Edited by Wrinkledlion X
  • Upvote 4

I would also feel a little more connected to UDD if every single character didn't promptly forget the "Unity" part 5 minutes after it became crucial.

The official song of Bionicle may as well be Journey's Separate Ways for all the good Unity does.

• Upvote 6

20383310448_7d514f8ffa.jpg

Spoiler Alert

I've had BIONICLE fans argue to me that BIONICLE was more complex and philosophical than Ninjago just because it used the word "unity" instead of "teamwork" or "friendship". In reality, they mean more or less the same thing, except for "friendship" which is by far the most meaningful and profound of the three, because it's not just about sticking together — it's about sticking together for a reason (besides just strength in numbers).

Something that for some reason stuck me as very powerful is when in 'Web of the Visorak' Whenua says "That's what friends do."

Not "That's what Toa do" or otherwise. Friends

That meant a lot, I think, considering it's the Toa Metru - arguably the most dysfunctional team - on top of the fact that they'd just been turned in to monsters because of one of their own's reckless mistake.

Edited by IXRollOutIX
  • Upvote 1

Perhaps it wasn't handled the best in the franchise, but it is still a major part of it and is a good idea. They don't have to be obsessed over, but they should at least be there and mentioned when really necessary. The concept of UDD is already shown through the heroes' actions, so it doesn't need to be forced into people's heads, but it's still a good idea to throw it in once in a while.

To what Makaru said: True, but generally you don't have to be in the same place all the time to have unity. And often when toa split and such, their unity was being tested. In the end they always came back together because they realized they were so much more together than apart. By splitting apart, many of the toa learned how much more important it was to stay together.

To what Deevee said: Maybe it was somewhat over-emphasized rather than shown in Bionicle's past, but it was not out of place. Like I said before, unity, duty and destiny were all important parts of how the toa/matoran worked and lived. It was a large part of the core of Bionicle, whether you like it or not.

To what Aanchir said: I actually agree with you somewhat. Ninjago did a good job of teaching UDD without forcing it, and that it showed it rather than told it, but as I've said Bionicle showed it as well in the actions of the characters. UDD was just there to give a name to what they did. It's going to be there whether it is given a name or not. I'd just like it to have a name because a person can look at those things and know what to call what the characters have. It has a rhythmic symbolism, though I agree that it would be a mistake to push it too much, a quick mention once in a while would be great.

To what Roll Out said: Exactly, teamwork is about more than just working for a common good. In Bionicle it was given that title, but it was always implied that one could never function properly as a team without liking it and wanting to be a part of it.

Edited by Banana Gunz
  • Upvote 4

We're cutting UDD? Alright, while we're at it let's...

• Remove the Ninja concept to Ninjago
  • Make all the Chima characters human
  • Not sell Lego products in Denmark 
  • Change all of the Friends characters to guys
  • Give Lego Architecture a fictional storyline
  • Upvote 4

bZpOwEr

Incidentally, one thing I liked about the Matoran value system established in 2003 is that not only were there the Three Virtues, but also the unique principles that each Koro derived from them (to which the Rahkshi unleashed by Makuta represented the antithesis). That was all very poetic, and helped to emphasize that BIONICLE's characters and cultures were strongest together because of their uniqueness and not just because of solidarity or strength in numbers. It's an impression that you didn't get from certain BIONICLE media, where "unity" meant "everybody join me in what I'm doing" and not "embrace what is special about you" (to borrow a quote from The LEGO Movie).

I honestly wish that more had been done with those principles, because I feel like they could have gotten a lot of mileage out of exploring what made each tribe of Matoran tick. They're probably unlikely to use those same principles in the new BIONICLE just because one of those was "creation" and it'd be kind of screwy to give the stone element a special closeness to that value that the others lacked, but I would not mind them introducing a similar value system that emphasized the individuality of the characters and tribes.

In a way, it'd be kind of like the Elements of Harmony in My Little Pony Friendship is Magic, to borrow a more recent example. Loyalty, Kindness, Generosity, and the like are values that everyone should strive for, but which have special significance to particular characters in that show. Creating a system of values with special significance to each of the Toa could result in lots of wonderful storytelling opportunities.

• Upvote 6

I actually forgot all about UDD after the first movie.

So did Lego

*uncomfortably long and annoying rimshot*

Technically it was brought up by Vakama toward the end of the second movie :P But yeah it's not... that... important. Not to the identity of the line.

Edited by Pomegranate

pomegranate-banner-sm.png .

Unity, duty and destiny are simple and philosophical, and actually are IMPORTANT to the real world, which is part of what made Bionicle more than just a toy theme. It's what made it great. It taught me as a child what it is to be a hero and a good part of the world. Anyone who thinks they are meaningless and uninportant simply have not bothered to think about it enough.

Sorry if I sounded rude again, but I really really feel strongly about this. I only mean the best of things here.

I never said it's a bad philosophy, I just think it's getting overused as a plot device. It's a cliché, and I hate clichés. I mean people might like them and are fine seeing a repeated central theme in Bionicle, but I can just hope it's refined a little bit.

That's why I'm bashing on it. I don't know if I'd like to see another movie, show, or game, or whatever we're getting where a Toa of Fire or Mata Nui is screaming "unity duty destiny" all over the place.

Also how is destiny a virtue? It's not. That's also anoter thing that bugs me about it.

This is of course mostly applying if it's a reboot (not that it isn't).

Edited by Archon~

Archon                      

"For one to truly feel alive, the person must kill oneself a little bit each and every day."

Check out my MOC, one of the new generation of Toa on Spherus Magna!

***Toa Kyraan***

I signed up for the Lego magazine again because I figured they would have a lot of good Bionicle news and stuff in the coming year. But they told me the magazine is for kids 12 and under and I felt old. Any other old people here who get the magazine?

Define 'old people,' because people can have a lot of different opinons on that. :P

Joking aside, I never subscribed to Lego Magazine. I usually get all my Bionicle info here on BZP. Though now I'll probably also get from Bionicle.com, Bionicle's official Facebook page, and other sites as well. Same goes for any other Lego info that I'm interested in.

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

Wait. They implemented that stupid policy?

That's why I haven't gotten the September-October issue?

LEGO, WTH?

I thought the majority of votes in the pole were from people over 13 and would be upset if the didn't get to subscribe.

In fact, I'm sure of it. They still did it?

Well.....I'll be making a call to customer service.

sailor_moon_banner.jpg

Tired of broken BIONICLE sets? Support the Remolded Sockets Service Pack project by Kon1 on CUUSOO http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/17500

Want more female characters to stand with you BIONICLE or HF collection? Support Bunyip's Constraction Line for Girls project on CUUSOO http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/6801

Wait. They implemented that stupid policy?

That's why I haven't gotten the September-October issue?

LEGO, WTH?

I thought the majority of votes in the pole were from people over 13 and would be upset if the didn't get to subscribe.

In fact, I'm sure of it. They still did it?

Well.....I'll be making a call to customer service.

That must explain why I didn't get the July-August issue but my siblings did. At least I can still read theirs!

I HATE SCORPIOS

~Pohatu Master of Stone, 2015