OFFICIAL Bionicle 2015 Topic

Makaru

I have one question. Why is Ekimu's set called Mask Maker if he's already gotten an established name? He was literally the first named character in the story and they couldn't put that on the set?

They did it to frustrate us. It really annoys me to no end the way they are handling names(or the lack thereof) this time around all in the name of (over)simplification.

10331959915_9f4d0b34c7.jpg
"Avengers? Fantastic Four? X-Dudes? They can all kiss my bony, flammable plastic."- Johnathan Blaze (Ghost Rider Vol 7 0.1)

Although I will admit that the summer wave isn't the best (although it's not bad by any means) I hate the way TTV made out that this wave has somehow killed the reboot and that the new toa can never be topped. Seriously just because of five bad sets (although as far as I'm concerned only scorpio is downright bad) that means the franchise is dead, seriously what is it with people today and thinking that one bad move destroys a entire franchise?! 

I think they feel it's a sign of things to come. This year's Toa were SOOOOOOOOOOOO good, not just as sets but in terms of character design, it's going to be reeeally hard to somehow make them look even cooler or more iconic, or even as much, next time. They're worried that we've started off with such a bang, it can only go downhill from here.

Well I think things might get even better starting 2016, the fact that all the protectors have the same mask (as well as other signs of cost cutting) goes to show that lego is probably limiting how much money they're pumping into it, which makes sense considering the fact there's no guarantee of success, but if these things sell well (and from what I'm hearing they are) I think we can expect a lot more new molds next year (not to mention an overall bigger budget) so I'm still pretty confident that gen 2 won't go the way of gen 1 for a long time. 

• Upvote 2

It's time to move on.

I think that comparing the Summer wave to the Winter wave is not entirely fair. The Winter wave has six $10.00 sets, four $15.00 sets, and three $20.00 sets. The summer wave has four $15.00 sets and one $35 (presumably) set, which, if separated, would probably be equal a $12 set and a $20 set. Ekimu stands (in both senses of the word) up to any of the Protectors. Skull Grinder, while not as impressive as Onua or Kopaka, is, to me, more charming than Tahu. Skull Warrior, I think, is easily the equal of Gali, if not stronger. Ditto Skull Grinder. Skull Slicer, though a bit basic, is far more interesting than Pohatu. And Skull Skorpio, despite his awkward tail, I find more visually appealing than Lord of the Skull Spiders. He may be a failure, but he's not a bland one.

Of course, your millage may vary.

Re names in Gen2: I don't think that LEGO is averse to having a gaggle of named characters. Ninjago is a case in point, as are Hero Factory and Chima. Rather, I suspect that the lack of original names in BIONICLE 2015 is an attempt to separate it, in a manner, from its predecessor; as if to say "BIONICLE doesn't need to have names for everything!"

• Upvote 3

gZsNWyr.png

(Credit to Nik the Three for the banner)

I'm under the impression a kid would buy it anyway just based on the aesthetic. I'm not sure how many kids from the target audience are going to care if the name is Ekimu or Mask Masker - he's a Gold dude fighting a bigger, more menacing guy with a hammer. Who wouldn't buy that? LEGO doesn't make very subtle design choices - the heroes look like heroes and the bad guys REALLY look like bad guys. If kids want to roleplay, they will regardless of name or title. And an upside of having a name is that it has the chance to catch on and become a household name, like "Toa" or "Makuta" back in the day. 

That being said, what was the point of the Master's title anyway? To fit with the Protectors? I think the box-art and colour/info design really makes it obvious what element they are going for. Back in 2001, the sets just had the name and that's it. Even then, I've seen kids just refer to them simply by colour or element. Could it be simplification simply so parents don't get confused by what the kid means by "Mahri Jaller"? Or is it oversimplification that undermines kids capacity to read visual cues?

Seriously though, I think the idea that kids will lose interest in Bionicle based on terms like "Toa" or "Ekimu" to be kind of ridiculous since the line (like all LEGO) is based on visual appearance and design anyway. I sincerely doubt a kid is going to pick up a Tahu set and be like "This looks frickin awesome, but I don't know what a Toa is so nah". 

-NotS

So Basically you are saying the lack of a name is not for the child's benefit but rather the idiot parent buying the set for said child? I could see that. Parents (Unless Gen1 fans themselves) May not be able to tell the difference between different sets whereas their child who wants a set would. As a Parent... even just a 4yo... feel stupid now... lol.

• Upvote 1

"A stranger will always be a stranger unless you give them a chance."

:m_p: :r: :m_o: :w: :l:    :n: :i: :g: :h: :t: :w: :m_o: :l: :f:

|premierball.png| <- My Pokémon | BZPRPG Characters: Po-Matoran Doseki & Nui-Jaga Scorpio; Ga-Matoran Orca 
Matoran und Panzer: Doseki & Glitch | Marvel RP PC | Mata Nui Monopoly: Come... Own a piece of the legend!

Onua.png

So Basically you are saying the lack of a name is not for the child's benefit but rather the idiot parent buying the set for said child? I could see that. Parents (Unless Gen1 fans themselves) May not be able to tell the difference between different sets whereas their child who wants a set would. As a Parent... even just a 4yo... feel stupid now... lol.

Exactly, though I wouldn't say "idiot" parent. There are usually two of each colour canister set in one year, so just saying "the green one" won't be very indicative of what the child wants. Attach a name like "Phantoka Lewa" and a busy parent will probably register it as gibberish. Reading Master of Fire may be easier to remember, BUT who actually reads the product name anyway?

-NotS

tahubanner.jpg

Exactly, though I wouldn't say "idiot" parent. There are usually two of each colour canister set in one year, so just saying "the green one" won't be very indicative of what the child wants.
So then you say "the big green one" instead. :P

~B~

OK. Let's talk books. There supposed to come out in the summer right? Presumubly because of the summer villains?

I would imagine so. The question is whether these will chronicle the main story, side adventures (like some of the Exo-Force books,) or something in the order of "Lewa Plays a Prank"? =P

• Upvote 2

gZsNWyr.png

OK. Let's talk books. There supposed to come out in the summer right? Presumubly because of the summer villains?

I would imagine so. The question is whether these will chronicle the main story, side adventures (like some of the Exo-Force books,) or something in the order of "Lewa Plays a Prank"? =P

I would prefer both. But I can predict things like this coming out: http://www.amazon.com/DK-Readers-L2-Factory-Heroes-ebook/dp/B009B1HCGO/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1423084630&sr=1-2&keywords=hero+factory+books

cringe

If we do see side stories, we need to see Lewa getting controlled by a Skull Spider and then being rescued by Onua. It is inevitable.

Yes. I don't have Lewa, and would like to do that myself, but when I search that image, at least 20 people have already done it.  :P

cringe

I'm gonna be taking a ton of group shots with the full wave once I get some time off. I got an idea for having Lewa and Pohatu flying in some shots.

On another note, I'm now quite thankful for the small summer wave, considering the Doctor Who Ideas project got accepted and Star Wars constraction figures were confirmed. I don't think I can take much more financial abuse. xD

Edited by Toa of Gallifrey

So, I disassemble the Toa after keeping them together for weeks. I lay all the parts out, then look over at my LoSS, still assembled, and say, "I'm gonna make mini Toa to make you look more evil." And so I did, using a modified Protector/Mask Maker build, and I am satisfied. Each has their own unique spin, and I love that. Onua was hard, though. He doesn't have a Protector build, and varies little from the original set. I might change him later.

http://i.imgur.com/kbP5Svg.gifhttp://i.imgur.com/O8CcqC5.pnghttp://i.imgur.com/kbP5Svg.gif

So, I disassemble the Toa after keeping them together for weeks. I lay all the parts out, then look over at my LoSS, still assembled, and say, "I'm gonna make mini Toa to make you look more evil." And so I did, using a modified Protector/Mask Maker build, and I am satisfied. Each has their own unique spin, and I love that. Onua was hard, though. He doesn't have a Protector build, and varies little from the original set. I might change him later.

I have a thing for Bionicle's wildlife (I've currently got a mini-archives going on my shelf), so I'll probably never take LoSS apart. 

The Toa? They're disposable.  :P

bZpOwEr

Speaking of next years sets, what's that possibility of getting Nuva-esque transformations of the Toa?

It'll be a good evolution of all the amazing designs. 

Edited by Chasm

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

Speaking of next years sets, what's that possibility of getting Nuva-esque transformations of the Toa?

I kind of hope that it's just a change of armor, but quite possibly. In fact, almost certainly. 

bZpOwEr

Baby Toa? I think I want to see that....
  • Upvote 1

|premierball.png| <- My Pokémon | BZPRPG Characters: Po-Matoran Doseki & Nui-Jaga Scorpio; Ga-Matoran Orca 
Matoran und Panzer: Doseki & Glitch | Marvel RP PC | Mata Nui Monopoly: Come... Own a piece of the legend!

Onua.png

Onua was hard, though. He doesn't have a Protector build, and varies little from the original set. I might change him later.

I think something like the PoF's shoulders would work well for Onua.

The idea for the entire team was to make them look more like the proportions displayed in the animations, meaning that Onua would stand much taller and overall be bigger than the other Toa. The thing is, he already is sort of small, so how do I translate it to make him even smaller than that without losing the feel for the character? That's the challenge, that's the struggle. ;)

http://i.imgur.com/kbP5Svg.gifhttp://i.imgur.com/O8CcqC5.pnghttp://i.imgur.com/kbP5Svg.gif

Well simple, don't shrink him as much as you do the other Toa... he'll appear larger to the other Toa and be smaller than the original...

Onua.png

Although I will admit that the summer wave isn't the best (although it's not bad by any means) I hate the way TTV made out that this wave has somehow killed the reboot and that the new toa can never be topped. Seriously just because of five bad sets (although as far as I'm concerned only scorpio is downright bad) that means the franchise is dead, seriously what is it with people today and thinking that one bad move destroys a entire franchise?! 

I think they feel it's a sign of things to come. This year's Toa were SOOOOOOOOOOOO good, not just as sets but in terms of character design, it's going to be reeeally hard to somehow make them look even cooler or more iconic, or even as much, next time. They're worried that we've started off with such a bang, it can only go downhill from here.

Well I think things might get even better starting 2016, the fact that all the protectors have the same mask (as well as other signs of cost cutting) goes to show that lego is probably limiting how much money they're pumping into it, which makes sense considering the fact there's no guarantee of success, but if these things sell well (and from what I'm hearing they are) I think we can expect a lot more new molds next year (not to mention an overall bigger budget) so I'm still pretty confident that gen 2 won't go the way of gen 1 for a long time. 

It is unfortunate the second wave is much smaller but that is likely due to the Star Wars constraction sets likely eating half the constraction budget. Unless we get more of them next year, I think the waves will be more balanced in 2016.

I kind of hope that it's just a change of armor, but quite possibly. In fact, almost certainly. 

I would much rather the Toa stay the same. From 2001-fall 2002 we had the Mata, and the after that the Nuva remained the same until 2008. I don't think they need to be changed as they are essentially based off of their Mata and Nuva forms already. It would be better to introduce more characters to the story instead of rehash the same ones every year with new bodies. That got tiresome, especially if the characters get really awesome forms that are only used for one year. I predict the Toa will remain the same for this 3 year arc with new characters, even perhaps a Toa of Light, added to the mix. Hero Factory did a great job for the most part keeping the main characters similar to their previous incarnations and I think if they do remake the Toa every year, they will still stay true to their characters at least. If it ain't broke, don't fix it, but hey LEGO has to sell toys not story.

To summarize; they should continue to use this Toa team for the foreseeable future but they do not need new forms every year.

Edited by ToaDraco
  • Upvote 1

10331959915_9f4d0b34c7.jpg
"Avengers? Fantastic Four? X-Dudes? They can all kiss my bony, flammable plastic."- Johnathan Blaze (Ghost Rider Vol 7 0.1)

It is unfortunate the second wave is much smaller but that is likely due to the Star Wars constraction sets likely eating half the constraction budget. Unless we get more of them next year, I think the waves will be more balanced in 2016.

I would much rather the Toa stay the same. From 2001-fall 2002 we had the Mata, and the after that the Nuva remained the same until 2008. I don't think they need to be changed as they are essentially based off of their Mata and Nuva forms already. It would be better to introduce more characters to the story instead of rehash the same ones every year with new bodies. That got tiresome, especially if the characters get really awesome forms that are only used for one year. I predict the Toa will remain the same for this 3 year arc with new characters, even perhaps a Toa of Light, added to the mix. Hero Factory did a great job for the most part keeping the main characters similar to their previous incarnations and I think if they do remake the Toa every year, they will still stay true to their characters at least. If it ain't broke, don't fix it, but hey LEGO has to sell toys not story.

To summarize; they should continue to use this Toa team for the foreseeable future but they do not need new forms every year.

NO PLEASE. I'm sorry, but releasing the same Heros in HF is what made me start to dislike it. We need a new variety once in a while. I'm not saying rehashes are bad, just way too repetitive, and need to be used lightly.

cringe

NO PLEASE. I'm sorry, but releasing the same Heros in HF is what made me start to dislike it. We need a new variety once in a while. I'm not saying rehashes are bad, just way too repetitive, and need to be used lightly.

I mean, I wouldn't mind getting rehashed heroes as long the changes are significant. 

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

Agreed, The Toa need to stay as they are for the time being. Changing them so quickly regardless of the reason could be detrimental to the cause.

Onua.png

I don't want another Toa team in the reboot, maybe not ever. It would depend on whether or not there was a real closure to our toas' story, but if not, no influx of other random heroes please.

Though I mean they have already set it up for a new version of our Toa in the winter, assuming they free Ekimu and whatnot. What a perfect way for him to express gratitude by forging new armour and masks for them...

• Upvote 6

31399314352_5890b9b8a3_o.jpg

I don't want another Toa team in the reboot, maybe not ever. It would depend on whether or not there was a real closure to our toas' story, but if not, no influx of other random heroes please.

Though I mean they have already set it up for a new version of our Toa in the winter, assuming they free Ekimu and whatnot. What a perfect way for him to express gratitude by forging new armour and masks for them...

I think that having the same characters over and over again would get kind of stale eventually. 

Sometimes changing up the Toa can be really good. Take the Metru for example. We were all used to the over-confident Tahu and the friendly Pohatu, however we were given a rather self-conscious Vakama and a really uncaring Onewa. The result was arguably one of the most dysfunctional Toa teams, but it was very heartwarming to finally see them learn to cooperate. These changes in personality can give the story some new dimensions. 

• Upvote 5

bZpOwEr

true, but we already met the Metro team in the form of "Named" Turaga leaders. Even if only in the MNOG. Right now we have no such characters. Unless they try to make the Protectors become Toa or vice-versa for some reason. Though I don't see this happening due to first being that the Protectors don't have officially released names. Thereby having any hidden lore in why they became protectors. Being that they also called Toa instead of becoming them makes me believe such a transformation may not be viable in this Gen further separating the two species further. So the only way right now to being in new Toa is if either they are somehow created or summoned like the first wave.

So new releases would likely be upgrades of the current team rather than a new team. Unless something happens story wise to merit summoning aid.

Onua.png

I think that having the same characters over and over again would get kind of stale eventually.

Sometimes changing up the Toa can be really good. Take the Metru for example. We were all used to the over-confident Tahu and the friendly Pohatu, however we were given a rather self-conscious Vakama and a really uncaring Onewa. The result was arguably one of the most dysfunctional Toa teams, but it was very heartwarming to finally see them learn to cooperate. These changes in personality can give the story some new dimensions.

You are assuming I am a fan of the other Toa teams we saw in G1- I am not. They fractured the storytelling, and though the Metru design was my favourite Toa set design, the sets from the Metru era are too drab and dark, precursors to the almost parodying Inika and Mahri grim dark stories we got later. This shift pushed the OG Toa to the background and really fractured the story. No thank you.
  • Upvote 4

31399314352_5890b9b8a3_o.jpg

I have a feeling that "Mask Maker" falls into the same lines as "Masters". I think it is just in place to get sets to sell. Because this is new, a young child is not going to know what "Toa" means if they have not even seen the animations or have not been exposed to any Bionicle related content beforehand. "What does 'Toa' mean?" the child would ask, "I don't get it," and the child is turned off from getting into Bionicle. The same goes for Ekimu ("Mask Maker"). The name Ekimu is only mentioned in the animations (as far as I know, that is), so how would any child be able to know that if they have not seen any of the animations? Mask Maker is easier; it defines the job the being has as well as their role in the story. Master, in the context of Bionicle sets, means that the being is in control of an elemental force, but 'Toa' would take time to decipher.

Sometimes I wonder how the children of G1 survived.

But then that moment when they release the new Toa... and you haven't even gotten all the first ones yet o.O

• Upvote 1

LEGO has a very thin line to walk in regards to the main heroes. If it keeps the same heroes year after year, the designs must have some meaningful continuity, or else fans will complain that they look nothing like the previous iterations of those characters. But if the designs resemble their predecessors too much, fans will complain about the lack of novelty. So, if LEGO wants to avoid this, it must produce sets that are recognizably the same characters without being too close. It can be done, but, once you factor in the other variables (the year's motif, new parts, or lack thereof, new gimmicks, etc.) , it isn't very easy. 

The alternative is to switch heroes occasionally, though this carries its own set of difficulties, for if LEGO has been successful, and the previous heroes were popular, the new heroes will inevitably be resented by some for replacing such well-loved characters.

LEGO's solution for the original BIONICLE was, for the most part, to dedicate two years to each team of heroes, with the second iteration of each being nigh unrecognizable (with a notable exception or two, such as the original Kopaka Nuva.) Hero Factory, on the other hand, introduced no more than three new heroes in the course of its five year story, with most of the hero sets, barring those in 2011, being recognizable as new versions of existing characters. It shall be interesting to see which approach, if either, LEGO adopts for the new BIONICLE.

gZsNWyr.png

If it keeps the same heroes year after year, the designs must have some meaningful continuity, or else fans will complain that they look nothing like the previous iterations of those characters.

LEGO's solution for the original BIONICLE was, for the most part, to dedicate two years to each team of heroes, with the second iteration of each being nigh unrecognizable (with a notable exception or two, such as the original Kopaka Nuva.)

When the second iteration of a group of characters is released just a year or two later, it keeps strong continuity with the first; the Toa Nuva using the same build and colour schemes as the Mata, or the MOLtoran having the same masks and colours as the McToran. The continuity is broken when the divide is longer, the most obvious example being the Phantoka/Mistika Toa looking almost nothing like the Nuva, with the possible exception of Kopaka's mask (though even that had the lens on the wrong side).

• Upvote 1

Exactly

• Upvote 2

cringe

As long as the upgrades are more than just slapping silver armor and new masks on everyone like the Nuva,  I'm happy with having the same 6 (or 7, if Takanuva shows up in the new story) Toa for a while.

• Upvote 3

The artist formerly known as

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

BBC#69 Entry: Roodaka - Master of Manipulation

BFTGM entries: Zigben · Ventox · Deflecto

Hail Denmark.

I don't entirely get why people seem to think the current Toa will "get stale". There are plenty of franchises that manage to stick with the same main characters year-in and year-out without that becoming an issue. LEGO Ninjago, for example, is on its fifth year with more or less the same main characters as it started out with. As of this summer, each of the five main Ninja will have been released in ten or more different forms!

Now, I know Ninjago isn't a constraction theme. But from a storytelling standpoint, that doesn't make any difference at all — it's not as though constraction characters are guaranteed to become boring more quickly than minifigure characters. And as far as sets are concerned, how much difference will it really make to the building experience whether future Toa sets are new characters or new versions of established characters? It's not as though a new character is guaranteed to deliver a revolutionary building experience, or an established character is guaranteed to feel like a rehash of the previous version of the character. What's more, there is no mandate that you have to buy every version of every character.

I think it's a bit premature to be talking about this anyway. I think most of us can agree that it would be a bad idea to retire the current team of Toa before they've even gotten two years as the main characters. And that means we will almost certainly be getting new versions of the Toa at some point in 2016. It would be poor business to keep the current Toa as main characters without having any version of those Toa available on store shelves, and it would also be poor business to keep restocking shelves with the same exact 2015 Toa sets over a year and a half after their release.

Edited by Aanchir
  • Upvote 1

I don't entirely get why people seem to think the current Toa will "get stale". There are plenty of franchises that manage to stick with the same main characters year-in and year-out without that becoming an issue. LEGO Ninjago, for example, is on its fifth year with more or less the same main characters as it started out with. As of this summer, each of the five main Ninja will have been released in ten or more different forms!

Now, I know Ninjago isn't a constraction theme. But from a storytelling standpoint, that doesn't make any difference at all — it's not as though constraction characters are guaranteed to become boring more quickly than minifigure characters. And as far as sets are concerned, how much difference will it really make to the building experience whether future Toa sets are new characters or new versions of established characters? It's not as though a new character is guaranteed to deliver a revolutionary building experience, or an established character is guaranteed to feel like a rehash of the previous version of the character. What's more, there is no mandate that you have to buy every version of every character.

I think it's a bit premature to be talking about this anyway. I think most of us can agree that it would be a bad idea to retire the current team of Toa before they've even gotten two years as the main characters. And that means we will almost certainly be getting new versions of the Toa at some point in 2016. It would be poor business to keep the current Toa as main characters without having any version of those Toa available on store shelves, and it would also be poor business to keep restocking shelves with the same exact 2015 Toa sets over a year and a half after their release.

All that really bothers me is this idea some people seem to have that lego... SHOULDN'T ever expand the cast of characters. Like that's a bad idea.

• Upvote 1

the_toa_sig_by_nickinamerica-dbn0wau.png

The Toa- A Bionicle Retelling by NickonAquaMagna http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/25275-the-toa-a-retelling-of-bionicle/

All that really bothers me is this idea some people seem to have that lego... SHOULDN'T ever expand the cast of characters. Like that's a bad idea.

They have plenty of opportunities to expand the cast of characters; no matter how much they rerelease the Toa, I highly doubt they're going to rerelease the Protectors each year. If they follow a similar release pattern, that means at LEAST six new characters each winter wave.

People are protesting adding more Toa because you only need Pinky and the Brain. There shouldn't be a Larry.

• Upvote 1