OFFICIAL Bionicle 2015 Topic

Makaru

For goodness' sake... I'm sorry for bringing this up here, but I seriously need help. I'm so sick of never being able to figure out how to make a sig with a hyperlink properly. It's just so strange and hard to get right. What am I missing?

Copy/paste the image into your signature; then left-click on it once. It should be highlighted blue - you can then just hit the "add hyperlink" button in the text editor, paste the link in the appropriate box, and then once your sig is saved it should show up.

---

poster_by_nickinamerica-d8ghl10.jpg

(I just did it here though so you could copy the above as well)

Giant sigs everywhere :blink:

Since the Mask of Creation is made out of raw magic and solid gold, I wonder if we'll get a Mask of Destruction made from cooked science and mixed silver.

:P

:)

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

Chasm, my first thought when I saw your sig was why Stormer was fighting Iron Man... Back on topic, though, jokes aside I think a Mask of Destruction would upset the legendary mask trinity we have right now.

( The bunny slippers hiss and slither into the shadows. ) -Takuaka: Toa of Time

What if the Toa you know best were not destined to be? Interchange: The epic begins

Last nights my parents found Protector of Earth at Wal-Mart and brought it home, so now I have the complete winter wave! (minus the trans-clear NYCC Hau) :D Definitely my favorite Protector. The colors are beautiful and I really like its build. That said, I would've preferred the shoulder pads black or trans-purple. I also think its weird dagger is lame and it shoulda had a second star drill, because that thing is beautiful and awesome. Still, my favorite Protector.

Yeah The protector of Earth is the only one I have right now. I really like it myself.

"A stranger will always be a stranger unless you give them a chance."

:m_p: :r: :m_o: :w: :l:    :n: :i: :g: :h: :t: :w: :m_o: :l: :f:

|premierball.png| <- My Pokémon | BZPRPG Characters: Po-Matoran Doseki & Nui-Jaga Scorpio; Ga-Matoran Orca 
Matoran und Panzer: Doseki & Glitch | Marvel RP PC | Mata Nui Monopoly: Come... Own a piece of the legend!

Onua.png

Last nights my parents found Protector of Earth at Wal-Mart and brought it home, so now I have the complete winter wave! (minus the trans-clear NYCC Hau)  :D Definitely my favorite Protector. The colors are beautiful and I really like its build. That said, I would've preferred the shoulder pads black or trans-purple. I also think its weird dagger is lame and it shoulda had a second star drill, because that thing is beautiful and awesome. Still, my favorite Protector.

It's not so jarring if you think of those rock pieces as extra armor, and not an actual part of the protector's body. Take them off, and... he looks like a surprisingly normal-ish Matoran.

the_toa_sig_by_nickinamerica-dbn0wau.png

The Toa- A Bionicle Retelling by NickonAquaMagna http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/25275-the-toa-a-retelling-of-bionicle/

I must say one thing I hate about skull scorpio is his pincers, like he has one big one and then two small ones? Why couldn't they have made his pincers consist of two big pieces, and for that matter why couldn't this set have been better in general, I mean they've done a scorpian before it can't be that difficult. 

It's time to move on.

I must say one thing I hate about skull scorpio is his pincers, like he has one big one and then two small ones? Why couldn't they have made his pincers consist of two big pieces, and for that matter why couldn't this set have been better in general, I mean they've done a scorpian before it can't be that difficult.

What makes it hard is the fact that they need to integrate a function. Scorpio, on the other hand, was created only with the intention of creating a posable scorpion and in general, making the design more CCBS-friendly than the Nui-Jaga's mainly Technic build.

• Upvote 1

VBWj75sh.png

What makes it hard is the fact that they need to integrate a function. Scorpio, on the other hand, was created only with the intention of creating a posable scorpion and in general, making the design more CCBS-friendly than the Nui-Jaga's mainly Technic build.

Yeah but the function appears to be on the tail so I don't see why it should take away from the rest of the model. 

• Upvote 1

It's time to move on.

Last nights my parents found Protector of Earth at Wal-Mart and brought it home, so now I have the complete winter wave! (minus the trans-clear NYCC Hau)  :D Definitely my favorite Protector. The colors are beautiful and I really like its build. That said, I would've preferred the shoulder pads black or trans-purple. I also think its weird dagger is lame and it shoulda had a second star drill, because that thing is beautiful and awesome. Still, my favorite Protector.

It's not so jarring if you think of those rock pieces as extra armor, and not an actual part of the protector's body. Take them off, and... he looks like a surprisingly normal-ish Matoran.

Yeah if Matoran have large multi-barrel cannons coming out of their chest, lol

• Upvote 1

|premierball.png| <- My Pokémon | BZPRPG Characters: Po-Matoran Doseki & Nui-Jaga Scorpio; Ga-Matoran Orca 
Matoran und Panzer: Doseki & Glitch | Marvel RP PC | Mata Nui Monopoly: Come... Own a piece of the legend!

Onua.png

I actually think the Protector of Earth could stand to have MORE silver and LESS black, myself. As it is, its color scheme is so incredibly dark that it mostly just looks like a black blob when it's not lit brightly or in front of a brightly-colored background. Perhaps if the chest shells or the hands had been silver the model would have pleased me more — as it is, though, I think it's rather disappointing that a tunnel-dwelling character like this only looks his best in bright surroundings.

Yeah but the function appears to be on the tail so I don't see why it should take away from the rest of the model.

The chief reason is almost certainly the price point. Skull Scorpio is a $15 set just like most of the other skull villains. I'm sure a lot of people will retort that he should have been a bigger and more expensive set in that case (like Hero Factory's 2236 Scorpio, which was a $25 set). But on the flip side, a number of people have already complained about this year's BIONICLE range being too expensive to collect (at least $270, assuming Mask Maker vs. Skull Grinder costs $30 or more). You can't have it both ways.

I'm not entirely happy with Skull Scorpio, but my chief disappointment is not with the claws so much as the tail. The function is cool, but the zigzag shape that results doesn't feel natural. I wish the function could have been integrated in a way that consistently curved up and forwards instead of interrupting that and curving back randomly where the beams for the function begin. Maybe if the "trigger" had used an angled beam/liftarm instead of a straight one this might have been more feasible. It'll be interesting to see if the tail can be improved without sacrificing the functionality.

Edited by Aanchir
  • Upvote 3

I actually think the Protector of Earth could stand to have MORE silver and LESS black, myself. As it is, its color scheme is so incredibly dark that it mostly just looks like a black blob when it's not lit brightly or in front of a brightly-colored background. Perhaps if the chest shells or the hands had been silver the model would have pleased me more — as it is, though, I think it's rather disappointing that a tunnel-dwelling character like this only looks his best in bright surroundings.

Eh... I actually like the simple, two toned color scheme. It makes him reminiscent of the Onu-Matoran of old. Putting more silver on him would make him feel less elemental, less "pure."

• Upvote 1

The Toa- A Bionicle Retelling by NickonAquaMagna http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/25275-the-toa-a-retelling-of-bionicle/

The chief reason is almost certainly the price point. Skull Scorpio is a $15 set just like most of the other skull villains. I'm sure a lot of people will retort that he should have been a bigger and more expensive set in that case (like Hero Factory's 2236 Scorpio, which was a $25 set). But on the flip side, a number of people have already complained about this year's BIONICLE range being too expensive to collect (at least $270, assuming Mask Maker vs. Skull Grinder costs $30 or more). You can't have it both ways.

I'm not entirely happy with Skull Scorpio, but my chief disappointment is not with the claws so much as the tail. The function is cool, but the zigzag shape that results doesn't feel natural. I wish the function could have been integrated in a way that consistently curved up and forwards instead of interrupting that and curving back randomly where the beams for the function begin. Maybe if the "trigger" had used an angled beam/liftarm instead of a straight one this might have been more feasible. It'll be interesting to see if the tail can be improved without sacrificing the functionality.

I could dig more silver to balance out the shoulder armor. I would've preferred having solid purple shoulder armor and shells but I realize that'd likely be a big investment in terms of remolding (unless they used the same shell size as Onua's purple shells, which wouldn't be that bad an idea).

If anything, how I'd have changed the Protector of Earth instead of silver is some solid purple. It'd be like Onepu. I personally don't dig "slap silver on a color scheme" myself, because IMO too much silver/gunmetal sort of washes out what could otherwise be a bright, elemental-feeling color scheme.

As for Skull Scorpion's mechanism, what I would have liked to see is an actual attempt to integrate it into the body. If that would have required not using the ugly monopiece torso, all the better; I'm sick of its almost mandatory use marring what could have been a good set.

EDIT: Just realized "bright" doesn't really apply to PoE; a better word there would be "pure".

Edited by Wally
  • Upvote 1

Personally I'm a fan of the Protector of Earth's dark color scheme.  The trans-purple may blend in some of the time, but when the light catches it right and it glows just a little bit it looks so pretty.

I agree, I kind of like his 'blobness'. It makes him look pretty otherworldly, and allows him to stand out from the other protectors. 

Edited by The Irrational Rock

bZpOwEr

Personally I'm a fan of the Protector of Earth's dark color scheme. The trans-purple may blend in some of the time, but when the light catches it right and it glows just a little bit it looks so pretty.

I agree, I kind of like his 'blobness'. It makes him look pretty otherworldly, and allows him to stand out from the other protectors.
I'm a big fan of the set overall as well, but I wish that we had gotten trans purple studs for the ammunition of the six shooter. Those are rare, while the solid ones have been all over my local Pick-a-brick and thus I have plenty already. It's also very inconsistent with the rest of the Protectors.

~B~

Personally I'm a fan of the Protector of Earth's dark color scheme. The trans-purple may blend in some of the time, but when the light catches it right and it glows just a little bit it looks so pretty.

I'm a big fan of the set overall as well, but I wish that we had gotten trans purple studs for the ammunition of the six shooter. Those are rare, while the solid ones have been all over my local Pick-a-brick and thus I have plenty already. It's also very inconsistent with the rest of the Protectors.

~B~

Trans. Purple studs ARE rare—in fact, they don't even exist. A lot of people don't seem to realize that things like ammo and eye colors are some of the most insignificant parts of a character's color scheme, and as such they're rarely worth wasting a recolor on, especially for a single set (a $10 one, at that). So while Trans. Purple studs would be incredible to have, the Protector of Earth including them would be a completely unrealistic expectation.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

There's not much point in releasing a new color part that's only going to be used in one set at the current time (Onua uses the trans-purple bones too, as will Skull Basher).  Especially in this case, where one of the major benefits of the shooters is that their ammo pieces are easily available from other sources should you lose them, and without the need to release ammo packs.  Having the ammo in an exclusive color invalidates that aspect.

I'd have liked them to be trans-purple too, but it really just makes sense that they aren't.

• Upvote 2

OpAXNpl.jpg

~B~

Trans. Purple studs ARE rare—in fact, they don't even exist. A lot of people don't seem to realize that things like ammo and eye colors are some of the most insignificant parts of a character's color scheme, and as such they're rarely worth wasting a recolor on, especially for a single set (a $10 one, at that). So while Trans. Purple studs would be incredible to have, the Protector of Earth including them would be a completely unrealistic expectation.
Huh, I'd thought that they would exist in that color by now. But still, they wouldn't have to be used for only that set. Once made, they can be used in the future for other sets, especially System ones, which would be great given everyone's love for trans purple.

~B~

Eh... I actually like the simple, two toned color scheme. It makes him reminiscent of the Onu-Matoran of old. Putting more silver on him would make him feel less elemental, less "pure."

Why? Plenty of Onu-Matoran and Toa of Earth have used various shades of grey, and all silver is is metallic grey.

With a lot of other elements I can understand this argument, but with an element like Earth or Ice that has always used neutral colors it doesn't make a tremendous amount of sense to me.

• Upvote 1

Metallic colors are in a different class from other colors. They specifically represent not just a color, but a metal. In that sense, they evoke armor, or something additional, something non-elemental, non-innate. For that reason, using silver is very different from using, say, dark grey; they evoke very different feelings and aesthetics. Simplifying the matter to "just metallic grey" feels dreadfully simplistic to me. Is gold "just metallic yellow"?

• Upvote 5

Metallic colors are in a different class from other colors. They specifically represent not just a color, but a metal. In that sense, they evoke armor, or something additional, something non-elemental, non-innate. For that reason, using silver is very different from using, say, dark grey; they evoke very different feelings and aesthetics. Simplifying the matter to "just metallic grey" feels dreadfully simplistic to me. Is gold "just metallic yellow"?

When you're referring to color schemes? Yes.

Pretty much all Bionicle characters, old and new, are composed primarily of metal, and worrying about what "substance" a color represents seems a bit like the overexplanation of the original Bionicle (which insisted that characters were "painted" with dull silver underneath, regardless of their element or origin). The new sets actually use silver largely as a neutral color—it's used for most of the sets' hands, many of their feet, and all of their heads.

Metallic colors can work great for heavier armor or surface detailing. But I think it's just as silly to insist that that's all they can be used for as it is to insist the same about any other color.

• Upvote 1

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

That ignores that metal colors are different from other colors, though. The Toa's special masks, for instance, are gold. Would you say making them yellow would have the same effect? Of course not, because being gold is fundamentally different from being yellow, and the two aren't interchangeable. (The same applies to the bigger three Toa using gold armor; obviously it's not the same effect as using yellow, because Gali and Lewa do use yellows, and it doesn't give nearly the same impression.) Metal colors definitely have an association with them that isn't there for, say, grey. For that reason, there is a big difference between using grey in a color scheme, and using silver. It's a matter of the implications it carries.

I, personally, preferred 2001's color schemes for their vividness and "purity", so make of that what you will.

(re: yellow=gold: if anyone tries to argue Jaller's 2001 mask being "gold", remember that that's in hindsight; before 2004 said his mask was specifically Lhikan's golden Hau, it was yellow, and treated as such by all materials.)

Edited by Wally
  • Upvote 3

I don't think the argument is that silver wouldn't fit an Onu-Matoran so much as it is that adding more silver to the set as it is now would basically give the it a three-main-color scheme.  Right now the set is dominated by black and trans-purple, much like how the Matoran of old had one color for their feet and masks and one color for their torsos and arms.

Edited by Bfahome

OpAXNpl.jpg

To prevent confusion, I guess? The names Tahu, Onua, etc. have had a decade and a half to root themselves in the public's mind (with the descriptive names helping to clarify for anyone who only knows a name). Ekimu, meanwhile, was only just named last year, and only to people already following the story.

That's the only explanation I can think of. I'd probably have put it as "Ekimu the Mask Maker", but then again, if Skull Grinder has an actual name that they're keeping secret for whatever reason, it'd look kinda lopsided to be "Skull Grinder vs. Ekimu the Mask Maker". idk. I don't claim to understand all their decisions.

• Upvote 1

That ignores that metal colors are different from other colors, though. The Toa's special masks, for instance, are gold. Would you say making them yellow would have the same effect? Of course not, because being gold is fundamentally different from being yellow, and the two aren't interchangeable. (The same applies to the bigger three Toa using gold armor; obviously it's not the same effect as using yellow, because Gali and Lewa do use yellows, and it doesn't give nearly the same impression.) Metal colors definitely have an association with them that isn't there for, say, grey. For that reason, there is a big difference between using grey in a color scheme, and using silver. It's a matter of the implications it carries.

Gold is definitely different from bright yellow. I'd almost say it's more of a metallic dark yellow or curry. And I'm not for a minute saying that metallic and non-metallic colors are 100% interchangeable. But that doesn't mean that metallic colors can NEVER function as elemental colors. Just look at how many people had a hard time reconciling Kopaka's gold with his element but were perfectly fine with his silver or Tahu's gold. Even a metallic color can look "earthy" or "icy" or "fiery" in the right context.

I don't think the argument is that silver wouldn't fit an Onu-Matoran so much as it is that adding more silver to the set as it is now would basically give the it a three-main-color scheme. Right now the set is dominated by black and trans-purple, much like how the Matoran of old had one color for their feet and masks and one color for their torsos and arms.

I suppose I can understand that sentiment. Perhaps an alternative that might have looked better would have been to have the set use black or dark stone grey beams and Tr. Bright Bluish Violet shells instead of the other way around. :notsure: As it is, I just feel like it could stand to be brighter than the current color scheme, which is very dark and has very little contrast. That's not to say I don't like the set's current colors, I just feel like they might have been better if they were balanced differently.

Edited by Aanchir
  • Upvote 3

To prevent confusion, I guess? The names Tahu, Onua, etc. have had a decade and a half to root themselves in the public's mind (with the descriptive names helping to clarify for anyone who only knows a name). Ekimu, meanwhile, was only just named last year, and only to people already following the story.

That's the only explanation I can think of. I'd probably have put it as "Ekimu the Mask Maker", but then again, if Skull Grinder has an actual name that they're keeping secret for whatever reason, it'd look kinda lopsided to be "Skull Grinder vs. Ekimu the Mask Maker". idk. I don't claim to understand all their decisions.

In old Bionicle and most Lego sets, characters are given names in the sets. They didn't need a 10 year introduction to the Piraka or anything to give them names. Now people who haven't seen the webisodes probably won't know his name .-. I think the name is more important than their occupation.The Toas at least got Tahu: Master of Fire or something.

Edited by bioniclepluslotr

well not every set has character names in lego. most that are not based on some other media(Starwars, Batman, marvel, etc...) wont really have names for each of the characters. Sets such as City, Castle, Ninja, have set names but not character names. Though to be fair I guess one could argue that these sets are different in the CCBS style sets who are usually only a single character(s) typically have character names. Though if I can direct one to Gen1 Bionicle the Rahi didn't have individual names just species/type names. Even though we know Ekimu is the name of a Mask maker, and this looks suspiciously like what we know Ekimu to look like, perhaps they are trying not to supply names to hide this fact. Also because the sets are not released officially yet, there is the possibility it will hold the name in the actual release in stores.

Onua.png

I have a feeling that "Mask Maker" falls into the same lines as "Masters". I think it is just in place to get sets to sell. Because this is new, a young child is not going to know what "Toa" means if they have not even seen the animations or have not been exposed to any Bionicle related content beforehand. "What does 'Toa' mean?" the child would ask, "I don't get it," and the child is turned off from getting into Bionicle. The same goes for Ekimu ("Mask Maker"). The name Ekimu is only mentioned in the animations (as far as I know, that is), so how would any child be able to know that if they have not seen any of the animations? Mask Maker is easier; it defines the job the being has as well as their role in the story. Master, in the context of Bionicle sets, means that the being is in control of an elemental force, but 'Toa' would take time to decipher.

• Upvote 3

http://i.imgur.com/kbP5Svg.gifhttp://i.imgur.com/O8CcqC5.pnghttp://i.imgur.com/kbP5Svg.gif

I'm under the impression a kid would buy it anyway just based on the aesthetic. I'm not sure how many kids from the target audience are going to care if the name is Ekimu or Mask Masker - he's a Gold dude fighting a bigger, more menacing guy with a hammer. Who wouldn't buy that? LEGO doesn't make very subtle design choices - the heroes look like heroes and the bad guys REALLY look like bad guys. If kids want to roleplay, they will regardless of name or title. And an upside of having a name is that it has the chance to catch on and become a household name, like "Toa" or "Makuta" back in the day. 

That being said, what was the point of the Master's title anyway? To fit with the Protectors? I think the box-art and colour/info design really makes it obvious what element they are going for. Back in 2001, the sets just had the name and that's it. Even then, I've seen kids just refer to them simply by colour or element. Could it be simplification simply so parents don't get confused by what the kid means by "Mahri Jaller"? Or is it oversimplification that undermines kids capacity to read visual cues?

Seriously though, I think the idea that kids will lose interest in Bionicle based on terms like "Toa" or "Ekimu" to be kind of ridiculous since the line (like all LEGO) is based on visual appearance and design anyway. I sincerely doubt a kid is going to pick up a Tahu set and be like "This looks frickin awesome, but I don't know what a Toa is so nah". 

-NotS

Edited by Nidhiki of the Shadows
  • Upvote 3

tahubanner.jpg

Although I will admit that the summer wave isn't the best (although it's not bad by any means) I hate the way TTV made out that this wave has somehow killed the reboot and that the new toa can never be topped. Seriously just because of five bad sets (although as far as I'm concerned only scorpio is downright bad) that means the franchise is dead, seriously what is it with people today and thinking that one bad move destroys a entire franchise?! 

• Upvote 2

It's time to move on.

Although I will admit that the summer wave isn't the best (although it's not bad by any means) I hate the way TTV made out that this wave has somehow killed the reboot and that the new toa can never be topped. Seriously just because of five bad sets (although as far as I'm concerned only scorpio is downright bad) that means the franchise is dead, seriously what is it with people today and thinking that one bad move destroys a entire franchise?! 

I think they feel it's a sign of things to come. This year's Toa were SOOOOOOOOOOOO good, not just as sets but in terms of character design, it's going to be reeeally hard to somehow make them look even cooler or more iconic, or even as much, next time. They're worried that we've started off with such a bang, it can only go downhill from here.

• Upvote 1