OFFICIAL Bionicle 2015 Topic

Makaru

Grinder is by far my favorite of the bunch. Basher is a close second. I hated Slicer at first but the more I look at him the more I like him, his upper legs are still too bare though and I'm still not thrilled with the re-used skull spider mask. The bone pieces look a lot better now that we have close ups, still rather skinny but they at least try to look like a tibia and fibia. I am not a fan of the trans orange tacked onto all the sets and I expect some sort of reason for it to be there. I love the use of the new chima flame piece in black as horns on Grinder and his trident looks nice. Overall he looks solid( as solid as a decaying skeleton warrior could be). He looks very evil for sure. Ekimu is perfect, nothing really to say that hasn't already been said about him. Scorpio is hideous and I hope for the sake of the visual sacrifice that the lashing tail function works really well. I love that Basher has a lashing forward function as opposed to swinging arms though his horns should be black as purple is no where else on the set except for trans purple.

10331959915_9f4d0b34c7.jpg
"Avengers? Fantastic Four? X-Dudes? They can all kiss my bony, flammable plastic."- Johnathan Blaze (Ghost Rider Vol 7 0.1)

I love that Basher has a lashing forward function as opposed to swinging arms though his horns should be black as purple is no where else on the set except for trans purple.

He does have a couple of solid purple spikes on his shoulders, it's not much but it's enough to keep the horns from looking too out of place.

IetTsFQ.png

Speaking of the horns...I was testing out some stuff with my sets to see how the horns would actually look in person. Obviously without the specific sets in hands (and without the proper masks) it's hard to tell properly, (and I don't even have the right colors, but.

Basher's horns are as weird as they look, though they kinda work in some angles? they're just too big. I tested out the spider-leg variant, and it's...better? maybe? Eh, not really an improvement. At least the big holes aren't there. It would have been cool if Basher came with trans purple versions of those, though...

Grinder's horns are more reasonable, I guess? They stick out a bit far and don't really work as horns as great as I would like. Maybe the Grinder mask works better with them, though.

AXKP5KC.png

Jinkies, those horns are a lot bigger than I realized. Can you remove those angular Technic pieces and stick them straight into the head? I doubt that would make them look smaller but it would get rid of that gap where they connect.

Edit: Side view of Basher's face suggests there might be enough space to place the horns like I described.

Edit 2: I was looking through the images and noticed something in Skull Warrior. The way the bow connects to his left hand has an extra point of rotation. I think that rotating the gear when he is holding the bow will cause him to aim the bow up and down.

Edited by Nescent

IetTsFQ.png

Jinkies, those horns are a lot bigger than I realized. Can you remove those angular Technic pieces and stick them straight into the head? I doubt that would make them look smaller but it would get rid of that gap where they connect.

Edit: Side view of Basher's face suggests there might be enough space to place the horns like I described.

It's possible based on that picture that it would fit, but I'm not too sure. With the pieces stuck directly into the head, they actually overlap a little with the dents where the masks attach, so it'd be hard to keep the mask on properly. :/ It doesn't work with the Skull Spider mask, and I'm pretty sure that's one of the masks with the most space back there.

edit: Also looking at my pictures I think the awful angle I used made them look a lot thicker than they actually are, whoops. They're still pretty huge and ungainly, but not that much.

Edited by farmstink buttlass

AXKP5KC.png

Skull Warrior and Skull BAsher look the coolest to me aside from Grinder. Also, I hate that Ekimu has the same Protector mask. Why couldn't they give him his own special mask?

You mean like the Mask of Creation? Yeah, too bad they didn't include that in the set.

It makes sense that he would be wearing the Protector mask he was buried in, since that was how he was when last seen. Canonically, it's the most common mask shape on the island, so if the Protectors were looking for a ceremonial mask to put on his face, it would probably be the shape of pretty much every other mask on the island.

That said, he would probably look far more distinctive wearing his signature mask, and I can't wait to see some pictures of it on him.

Skull Warrior and Skull BAsher look the coolest to me aside from Grinder. Also, I hate that Ekimu has the same Protector mask. Why couldn't they give him his own special mask?

You mean like the Mask of Creation? Yeah, too bad they didn't include that in the set.

It makes sense that he would be wearing the Protector mask he was buried in, since that was how he was when last seen. Canonically, it's the most common mask shape on the island, so if the Protectors were looking for a ceremonial mask to put on his face, it would probably be the shape of pretty much every other mask on the island.

That said, he would probably look far more distinctive wearing his signature mask, and I can't wait to see some pictures of it on him.

I like how you assume I missed the fact that it was already in the set on purpose. I KNOW it's in the set. I wanted him to have his OWN mask. 

You want sarcasm milk with your cookie?

Lara Croft

Tomb Raider Cliff Climbing

I like how you assume I missed the fact that it was already in the set on purpose. I KNOW it's in the set. I wanted him to have his OWN mask. 

The whole point of the set is that he's fighting back for his own mask. Why would you also not want the protector mask in that slick color set, too?

• Upvote 2

I am very, VERY disappointed that Skull Slicer's right part of arms do not turn. Lego's missed a huge opportunity to have four-arm-moving-action.

They don't? Do you have a picture or something that proves it? I haven't looked at him much.

• Upvote 1

Self MOC: Fren

How lewd

The Mask of Creation literally is his mask, so I'm not sure what the issue is...?

~|ET|~

E-T... Phone home.

"He walks among us, but he is not one of us."

I am very, VERY disappointed that Skull Slicer's right part of arms do not turn. Lego's missed a huge opportunity to have four-arm-moving-action.

They don't? Do you have a picture or something that proves it? I haven't looked at him much.

From some angles, you can see there is no black gear on his left side, and there doesn't seem to be room for the other gears, either.

the_toa_sig_by_nickinamerica-dbn0wau.png

The Toa- A Bionicle Retelling by NickonAquaMagna http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/25275-the-toa-a-retelling-of-bionicle/

Ekimu: Yes! The shield is cool, the mask is just what we needed, and the hammer is exactly as we've seen it.

Grinder: Great! Awesome weapon and inventive shoulder design.

Basher: Cool, but I'll wait to pass judgement until we know more about the function.

Warrior: It's fine for what it is.

Slicer: Wish its mask was at least a recolor. At least it has those cool swords; they'll make a nice upgrade for Kopaka's spear.

Scorpio: Why...

Also, those skeleton limbs better attach to something, or they'd be a complete waste of a mold in my opinion.

( The bunny slippers hiss and slither into the shadows. ) -Takuaka: Toa of Time

What if the Toa you know best were not destined to be? Interchange: The epic begins

The whole point of the set is that he's fighting back for his own mask. Why would you also not want the protector mask in that slick color set, too?

Because it's the same? Just like the Skull Spiders. WHY do we need TWO same color Skull Spiders in the Master and Protector sets? 

Lara Croft

Now for a post that's not to do with the summer wave, I'm not a big fan of the promos for the toa, I preferred the old style of CGI and complete silence, the mystery made things more interesting, this doesn't ruin the reboot for me (and to be honest doesn't really matter that much) it's just that I would have preferred them if they were done in the old style. 

It's time to move on.

Now for a post that's not to do with the summer wave, I'm not a big fan of the promos for the toa, I preferred the old style of CGI and complete silence, the mystery made things more interesting, this doesn't ruin the reboot for me (and to be honest doesn't really matter that much) it's just that I would have preferred them if they were done in the old style. 

I completely agree. I love this reboot and the fact it exists at all, but these cheesy 90's wannabe cartoons have got to go. It pains me to see my heroes turned into some Saturday morning sideshow. God I miss 2006.

Lara Croft

Is anyone having a problem with Tahu 2015 that the gears are looser than they are supposed to be and his arms flop? I've followed the instructions and rebuilt the gearbox three times to make sure I didn't miss anything.

Yeah, it's the pins wearing down after many uses. The axle balls that most of the sets use for friction/connecting arm sockets have this problem as well.

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

Is anyone having a problem with Tahu 2015 that the gears are looser than they are supposed to be and his arms flop? I've followed the instructions and rebuilt the gearbox three times to make sure I didn't miss anything.

Mine are a little loose but it doesn't get in the way of posing. Kopaka is the real problem, his spear does not stay put at all.

IetTsFQ.png

From some angles, you can see there is no black gear on his left side, and there doesn't seem to be room for the other gears, either.

Ok thanks! I was just wondering.

I've made a decision. The only sets that are must buys are Basher and Grinder. Warrior will be close behind, but gotta get that money. As for Slicer and Scorpion, they'll have to wait 'till almost October.

Self MOC: Fren

How lewd

I completely agree. I love this reboot and the fact it exists at all, but these cheesy 90's wannabe cartoons have got to go. It pains me to see my heroes turned into some Saturday morning sideshow. God I miss 2006.
I remember the old toa nuva animations, they made me so intrigued and made me wanna know more about these characters, I don't think the new style will harm sales but still though I'd like a little more mystery (although at least it's not as bad as HF).

It's time to move on.

Wait, the Skull team doesn't even get unique faces for each of them? :blink:

Nope, just three new mask molds - MoCr, Scorpio/Basher, and Grinder/Warrior. We are, however, getting a whole lot of recolors and new parts, and one of the new masks is available in two colors (gunmetal and silver).

• Upvote 1

IetTsFQ.png

Because it's the same? Just like the Skull Spiders. WHY do we need TWO same color Skull Spiders in the Master and Protector sets?
And that's because many people will not buy all of the sets, so duplicates only matter to collectors. Besides, Ekimu's Protector mask is a gorgeous recolor, and more importantly makes logical sense given his appearance in the animations.

The skull spiders are included in each winter set so that someone can have characters to act out some sort of conflict play without further sets being bought.

~B~

• Upvote 3

I remember the old toa nuva animations, they made me so intrigued and made me wanna know more about these characters, I don't think the new style will harm sales but still though I'd like a little more mystery (although at least it's not as bad as HF).

I'd much rather have the Toa doing things like they did in their original videos and in their Nuva videos.

Kopaka doing a sick flip before catching his sword and slamming it onto the ground and sending a group of Skull Spiders to their deaths? ALL IN CGI? YES! 

Lara Croft

I'd much rather have the Toa doing things like they did in their original videos and in their Nuva videos.

Kopaka doing a sick flip before catching his sword and slamming it onto the ground and sending a group of Skull Spiders to their deaths? ALL IN CGI? YES! 

I'd love it if they brought that back, maybe we can have scenes like that again if an animated series ever comes into existence. 

It's time to move on.

It's not the same? It's a new color mix. You know, giving us a mask in seven different color mixes. We haven't seen that much variety in mask colors since they stopped making mask packs. What would you want instead? You'd want them to only include the Mask of Creation, without throwing in a unique recolor? That would decrease the quality of the set, not increase it.

• Upvote 5

WHY do we need TWO same color Skull Spiders in the Master and Protector sets? 

So we can get multiples of the same color without necessarily having to buy the same sets multiple times.  Better for army-building.  I'm a fan of it.

It pains me to see my heroes turned into some Saturday morning sideshow. God I miss 2006.

#BringBackFreeTheBand

Edited by Bfahome
  • Upvote 5

OpAXNpl.jpg

So today I built a model using Skull Basher's function, and I have to say it's amazing. The proportions are a little iffy but the function works like a charm—frankly, a character with that type of build doesn't even need weapons because smashing their fists together is fun enough on its own.

I worry a bit about the rumor that two other summer sets were planned but got cancelled—less because of the loss of two more sets (other themes are going to strain my budget as it is) and more because it might be indicative that Bionicle 2015 has not met initial sales expectations. Failing to meet expectations is not a death sentence for a theme—Chima didn't meet its lofty sales goals yet it still lasted a good three years. But if sets are indeed getting cancelled this early in the theme's run, it makes me worry for its future. Hopefully that rumor is just wild speculation and doesn't amount to anything more.

• Upvote 2

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

I'm sorta glad if that's true. It means we get two less sets that might've been clones.

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

I worry a bit about the rumor that two other summer sets were planned but got cancelled—less because of the loss of two more sets (other themes are going to strain my budget as it is) and more because it might be indicative that Bionicle 2015 has not met initial sales expectations. Failing to meet expectations is not a death sentence for a theme—Chima didn't meet its lofty sales goals yet it still lasted a good three years. But if sets are indeed getting cancelled this early in the theme's run, it makes me worry for its future. Hopefully that rumor is just wild speculation and doesn't amount to anything more.

It might be a response to the fact that there's only five new sets being released. I doubt there's any truth behind that, but I have been wrong in the past. 

I'm sorta glad if that's true. It means we get two less sets that might've been clones.

But it also means that there's two less sets that might have have unique builds. 

Edited by The Irrational Rock
  • Upvote 3

bZpOwEr

Oh... Oh no, I hope that's not the case. Quick! We need to force kids to buy more Bonkles against their will!

• Upvote 2

Could they really have determined that so quickly?  There were only three weeks between BIONICLE's release and the summer reveal in London.  It seems like too short a time in which to gather sales data and then decide to axe two sets (which would probably be quite far into development at that point).

Maybe two other sets were planned, but if so I doubt their non-inclusion would be based on such a quick reading of sales.

• Upvote 2

OpAXNpl.jpg