OFFICIAL Bionicle 2015 Topic

Makaru

On the whole reboot/continuation debate, does anyone else think it's possible for Bionicle to be rebooted and not have the 'Mata Nui is the universe visa a giant robot' twist? Because I think it is very possible that, if the story is rebooted, that it could have a completely different mystery, and later on reveal, than the one from the original storyline. It may not even have the MU robot twist in it at all. 

The only reason I ask this is that I've seen people say that a reboot won't work because we already know about Mata Nui being the universe, arguably one of Bionicle's biggest reveals, and that any new fans who looked up information on Bionicle's original run would learn of it. But that doesn't mean it can't have a rebooted story. I think that the story team would come up with a new idea for a major reveal in Bionicle's next run so that it would keep the interest of old and new fans alike, and not rely on the same twist from the original story. 

• Upvote 1

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

Wait a minute: The mask shown in the thumbnail is quite different from a certain Avsa-lookalike.

Would this mean that everything else in the infamous stand is obsolete and possibly redone as well?

We can't assume that. Just because preliminary images are seen together does not mean that they're all in the same stage of design. The possibility that the leaked images are preliminary is there, but that possibility was there even before we got any non-leaked, finalized images.
  • Upvote 1

I think looking at Bionicle's history of creation, design, and what/how it will benefit for the LEGO company, I'm gonna say that I want LEGO to create Bionicle in a more improved way, keep the cool and awesome aspect of it, but make sure the company is successful. The LEGO company needs to be smart, and I think they will. They know how to change from their mistakes from the past. They're a great company, and are definitely inspiring kids!

I would only hope that the story itself would keep the gritty theme and not become sappy in any aspect whatsover. I really want LEGO to continue the theme of Bionicle being an EPIC. I believe they're capable of accomplishing that. :)

• Upvote 4

Personally, if it is a continuation, TTV's new video gave a really good argument that is the mask of creation.

If it is a reboot, I would expect it to be the Inika another great mask.

Also, what do people think about the summer wave?

If it is a continuation, do you think we could get a wave with the surviving Mahri and Takanuva? It would make sense, as Takanuva could fill the "white armor" character slot.

• Upvote 2

Follow the light...

The Hype Train will take you to it

Follow me on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/JTHStudio

Also, watch my new BIONICLE Short: "How BIONICLE Really Came Back" http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/15938-how-bionicle-really-came-back-a-brickfilm/

I wouldn't be surprised if they did some sort of soft reboot, where they wiped/glossed over the post-2010 stuff and just started with the Toa and Matoran and whoever else living on Spherus Magna.  Have vague references to Makuta's defeat and all that, and start with some sort of fresh threat (element lords?).  

Maybe that'd be too much retconning, idk, but since they seem to be keeping some of the old characters I dunno if they're going to go the full reboot route.

• Upvote 1

The only reason I ask this is that I've seen people say that a reboot won't work because we already know about Mata Nui being the universe, arguably one of Bionicle's biggest reveals, and that any new fans who looked up information on Bionicle's original run would learn of it. But that doesn't mean it can't have a rebooted story. I think that the story team would come up with a new idea for a major reveal in Bionicle's next run so that it would keep the interest of old and new fans alike, and not rely on the same twist from the original story.

Precisely what I have been saying. Thus, if it's a reboot, it'll be a hard reboot. Edited by Jakura Nuva

I wouldn't be surprised if they did some sort of soft reboot, where they wiped/glossed over the post-2010 stuff and just started with the Toa and Matoran and whoever else living on Spherus Magna.  Have vague references to Makuta's defeat and all that, and start with some sort of fresh threat (element lords?).  

Maybe that'd be too much retconning, idk, but since they seem to be keeping some of the old characters I dunno if they're going to go the full reboot route.

Full reboots often keep a lot of their classic characters in some form, though. Look at Transformers, Star Trek, but close enough), most superhero comics, Megaman, Hawaii Five-O, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Thundercats, etc. Edited by Aanchir
  • Upvote 3

I'm starting to think that the main villain this year (besides Lord of you-know-who) will be some sort of evil king. The top of the mask in the image looks much like a crown, and I was also getting a large Egyptian pharaoh vibe from the mask on the Image-that-shall-not-be-named. If the mask is indeed the Mask of Creation, I can see him stealing it for his own nefarious purposes.

I also have another idea. Maybe somebody goes back into the MU robot and finds some surviving research in a destroyed BOM lab. He takes it back to his fellow Makultists (thanks to Makaru for that name), and they are able to reproduce the formula for Antidermis! Get some scrap metal undoubtedly lying around after the final battle, and you have a brand new Makuta. Through the year they are trying to find the Mask of Shadows, which would still have Teridax's imprint on it. Put it on and there, Teridax is back. Kind of like Galvatron in AOE: A new body with the same "spirit". Although if Bionicle G2 is successful enough I'd wait a few years to bring him back.

Thanks for dealing with my crazy (and probably waaaaaaaay inaccurate) story!

• Upvote 3

sig.jpg

Noooooo. Teridax is dead. DEAD. Even if there was the possibility of him not being dead, which there isn't, he was the villain for 10 years. He's overdone and needs to be offed, like he rightfully was, so somebody more interesting can take over the Big Bad slot.

• Upvote 1

I write stories, on occasion. Finishing them... yeah, uh. That's another thing entirely.

Avatar made with the Rayg Kit 2.5, and featuring Lilak, Toa of Lightning.

She is totally, totally not a shameless self-insert. Y'know, except for the part where she is. :D

Noooooo. Teridax is dead. DEAD. Even if there was the possibility of him not being dead, which there isn't, he was the villain for 10 years. He's overdone and needs to be offed, like he rightfully was, so somebody more interesting can take over the Big Bad slot.

Psht. Have you seen Transformers? I'm pretty sure every single reboot of their series has had Megatron killed, only to come back - usually in a bigger, "badder" form. Why? Cuz he's so awesome, and everyone loves him. Sure, it gets tiring after awhile, but still...

I could see Lego doing that with Teridax (if we get a continuation, which is seeming less and less likely).

Edited by Jakura Nuva
  • Upvote 4

Eh, reboot Teridax (provided this IS a reboot, which I'm inclined to believe) isn't necessarily the same as preboot!Teridax.  If he shows up again, he might be a bit more interesting the second time around.

...also, I really wanna see what he'd look like with a redesigned set.  ^_^

• Upvote 3

It is not for us to decide the fate of angels.

Dominus Temporis, if you're out there, hit me up through one of my contacts.  I've been hoping to get back in touch for a long time now.  (Don't worry, I'm not gonna beg you to bring back MLWTB or something.  :P )

Eh, reboot Teridax (provided this IS a reboot, which I'm inclined to believe) isn't necessarily the same as preboot!Teridax.  If he shows up again, he might be a bit more interesting the second time around.

...also, I really wanna see what he'd look like with a redesigned set.   ^_^

Oops, my bad - I meant to say continuation when I said reboot.

Never mind that slip-up.

Psht. Have you seen Transformers? I'm pretty sure every single reboot of their series has had Megatron killed, only to come back - usually in a bigger, "badder" form. Why? Cuz he's so awesome, and everyone loves him. Sure, it gets tiring after awhile, but still...

I could see Lego doing that with Teridax (if we get a reboot, which is seeming more and more likely).

Pfffff. Everybody loving Teridax? Nooooo, I don't think so, not from what I've been reading. Although I'm really not into Transformers and so can't compare its timeline to Bionicle's to see how they might parallel for reboots and such, so I can't really comment on this comparison.

...also, I really wanna see what he'd look like with a redesigned set.   ^_^

Hrmm. Reboot = alternate universe = yeah, maybe. Maaaaaaybe. Then he'd better be a shadowy, nameless entity for a while. Don't want the new fans looking up "Makuta" and getting spoiled.

• Upvote 1

I write stories, on occasion. Finishing them... yeah, uh. That's another thing entirely.

She is totally, totally not a shameless self-insert. Y'know, except for the part where she is. :D

I could see Lego doing that with Teridax (if we get a reboot, which is seeming more and more likely).

Megatron is a different kind of main antagonist, though. Throughout the reboots, while Megatron has always had the same role and goals (to an extent), his character is much more suited to a long-lasting story. I can't quite word what I mean by that, but suffice to say Megatron's character has been relatively stable (sure, his different iterations have their differences, but there are always constants) for 30 years. Meanwhile, a single iteration of Makuta sat around for nine years with one trick to his name (that being cackling evilly and rubbing his hands while saying "i've got a plan") and that got old within that one iteration alone. Unless a new Makuta took him in a drastically different direction (which i doubt), chances are people like me will get just as sick of him.

• Upvote 2

How about this.

It takes place far in the future on Spherus Magna. All organic beings died out only leaving the MU inhabitants and whatever creatures were more mechanical than organic there on the planet. So we eliminate the whole 'too much species is too complex to understand' argument.

OR

Spherus Magna gets obliterated, everyone takes refuge on another planet. New location, new mysteries.

Add me on 3DS: 0516-7750-0068

Add me on Wii U: Boidoh

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 4: Never Trust a Snake

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 44: Corridor of Elders

Like, Comment, And Subscribe for Nintendo Content - NinBoidoh

How about this.

It takes place far in the future on Spherus Magna. All organic beings died out only leaving the MU inhabitants and whatever creatures were more mechanical than organic there on the planet. So we eliminate the whole 'too much species is too complex to understand' argument.

OR

Spherus Magna gets obliterated, everyone takes refuge on another planet. New location, new mysteries.

But then we still have the 10 years worth of backstory to slog through if new fans want to get all the context for who all these people are. Unless all the characters we know and love get killed off, but in that case why not just have a reboot?

No. When we saw Tahu, all we knew was that he came from a canister in 2001. The same as every introduced character.

HECK, What was ANYONE doing on that island in 2001 WHO were they!?

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 4: Never Trust a Snake

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 44: Corridor of Elders

Purge your pre-existing ideas about Bionicle from your mind. None of that applies any longer. It will not be a continuation of the same bloated, convoluted story.

But, it will still have the essence of classic Bionicle. Mystical masks, noble heroes, elemental powers, dark creatures, and face-hugging parasites.

The same "beats" of the story will still be there, but the details will be different. It will not be a literal successor to the theme, but a spiritual one.

• Upvote 3

Presumably, at least.  All we really have to go on at this point is a single image.  I'd assume we're getting a hard reset considering how the previous iteration ended, but assumptions are basically it for now.

It is not for us to decide the fate of angels.

Dominus Temporis, if you're out there, hit me up through one of my contacts.  I've been hoping to get back in touch for a long time now.  (Don't worry, I'm not gonna beg you to bring back MLWTB or something.  :P )

Purge your pre-existing ideas about Bionicle from your mind. None of that applies any longer. It will not be a continuation of the same bloated, convoluted story.

But, it will still have the essence of classic Bionicle. Mystical masks, noble heroes, elemental powers, dark creatures, and face-hugging parasites.

The same "beats" of the story will still be there, but the details will be different. It will not be a literal successor to the theme, but a spiritual one.

Yes, this.

... but not a spiritual successor like Hero Factory!

I think it's in LEGO's best interests to focus on the Dark Hunters if they don't ant to make a whole new villain. The Shadowed One would make a fantastic new main villain, especially with his mysterious name forgotten by the ages (even by Greg Farshtey). Plus the Dark Hunters are so individual that it'd be hard to fall into the trap of clone sets like Bionicle did in 2006-2010.

The gold-skinned being could work too, for much the same reasons, but the Skakdi that serve him are clone sets, so they'd want to focus on the gold-skinned being's creations.

If you use correct grammar in your posts (or try hard to), place this in your signature. Join Myst's campaign for correct grammar usage on BZPower!

Guys I'm pretty sure it's a reboot since Lewa's element is Jungle now. :P

Sooo I wouldn't get my hopes up. 2001-10 is pretty dead, and it's like a fraued knot, no katter how hard you try it wouldn't be the same, or make any sense unless you had a few years to work on the story alone disregarding sets at all.

Archon                      

"For one to truly feel alive, the person must kill oneself a little bit each and every day."

Check out my MOC, one of the new generation of Toa on Spherus Magna!

***Toa Kyraan***

Guys I'm pretty sure it's a reboot since Lewa's element is Jungle now. :P

You have absolutely no way of knowing that other than leaked and possibly fraudulent materials, so I'm just going to pretend you didn't say that and proceed on the assumption that we really can't know anything for sure until we get an official statement from Lego.

Except that the Mask of Hype is pointy, shiny, and almost certainly Important. That's pretty definite.

I like the idea of Makuta still being around, but not as a threat. What if some Matoran stumbles across all that remains of Makuta in a jungle somewhere, and he's been reduced to a powerless ghost of antidermis? Just floating around as a whisp for thousands of years, regretting what he's done. 

Could be kind of a haunting story, if done right. Perhaps some young Matoran has to go talk to him to learn some ancient knowledge relevant to the current storyline? 

• Upvote 4

I like the idea of Makuta still being around, but not as a threat. What if some Matoran stumbles across all that remains of Makuta in a jungle somewhere, and he's been reduced to a powerless ghost of antidermis? Just floating around as a whisp for thousands of years, regretting what he's done. 

Could be kind of a haunting story, if done right. Perhaps some young Matoran has to go talk to him to learn some ancient knowledge relevant to the current storyline? 

Pfffheh. Teridax. Not a threat. He's the kind of annoying git who'd manage to plot your demise if you left him powerless on an asteroid on the other side of the galaxy.

Buuuuut it's an interesting mental image, him being "not a threat". And possibly entertaining.

• Upvote 3

I can see him as a creepy wisp. Formerly a God of Destruction, now...

...Nothing...

Next time, when someone asks if you're a god, you say NO!

Edited by Lielac
  • Upvote 2

...Nothing...

The Nothing part would explain his quote "You cannot destroy me, for I am Nothing."

• Upvote 3

If you use correct grammar in your posts (or try hard to), place this in your signature. Join Myst's campaign for correct grammar usage on BZPower!

I'm starting to think that the main villain this year (besides Lord of you-know-who) will be some sort of evil king. The top of the mask in the image looks much like a crown, and I was also getting a large Egyptian pharaoh vibe from the mask on the Image-that-shall-not-be-named. If the mask is indeed the Mask of Creation, I can see him stealing it for his own nefarious purposes.

I also have another idea. Maybe somebody goes back into the MU robot and finds some surviving research in a destroyed BOM lab. He takes it back to his fellow Makultists (thanks to Makaru for that name), and they are able to reproduce the formula for Antidermis! Get some scrap metal undoubtedly lying around after the final battle, and you have a brand new Makuta. Through the year they are trying to find the Mask of Shadows, which would still have Teridax's imprint on it. Put it on and there, Teridax is back. Kind of like Galvatron in AOE: A new body with the same "spirit". Although if Bionicle G2 is successful enough I'd wait a few years to bring him back.

Thanks for dealing with my crazy (and probably waaaaaaaay inaccurate) story!

The Kraahkan is currently scattered into particles across the universe, from when Gorast killed Icarax. But another way that at least some kind of "shadow" (Get it?) of Teridax could be resurrected could use his armour in Mangaia. As far as we know, his armour wasn't disintegrated, and is still in Mangaia, so in theory, the armour could carry some form of imprint, like the Kraahkan, and a fragment of the armour could be used by some Makultists to bring back Teridax, maybe in the body of a Baterra if possible? They seem to be the most abundant type of non-sentient robot on SM.

Anyway, here's my theory for a continuation!

Marendar, Velika and maybe the DHs are put to the side for use as future story material, and then in the first year, we have the Mata released as summer canisters, Rahi as winter canisters, and then canister-sized Barraki could be released riding large Rahi as the titans, kind of like how Lhikan was released. This titan strategy works even better due to the loss of Carapar and Takadox, which takes the minimum number of titans down to 4, which is more manageable than six. Small sets could be maybe more Rahi, or Matoran. The DHs could be released as part of the Barraki's armies as well, or saved for a later year. Then in the last year of Bionicle 2.0, if they haven't been used already, then Marendar or Velika could be introduced as the "If you don't stop this villain, then the world as you know it WILL end." kind of villan, so the type where the Toa have to sacrifice nearly everything to defeat them.

• Upvote 1

VBWj75sh.png

I think it's in LEGO's best interests to focus on the Dark Hunters if they don't ant to make a whole new villain. The Shadowed One would make a fantastic new main villain, especially with his mysterious name forgotten by the ages (even by Greg Farshtey). Plus the Dark Hunters are so individual that it'd be hard to fall into the trap of clone sets like Bionicle did in 2006-2010.

The gold-skinned being could work too, for much the same reasons, but the Skakdi that serve him are clone sets, so they'd want to focus on the gold-skinned being's creations.

Even if the new Bionicle were a continuation, I think the Dark Hunters would be a terrible choice for the main antagonists.

The problem with the Dark Hunters is that they have no unifying factors. We're long past the era of clone sets, but even given that, the best villains in Bionicle typically had some sort of unifying theme (even the Makuta of 2008). Dark Hunters, on the other hand, all have different species, origin stories, and appearances. To try and develop a full set of them as individual characters so early into the new Bionicle would be difficult and would be a bad start for the series if it wanted to avoid adding too much complexity. In a continuation, if you really had to use an old set of characters, better to use one that's cohesive and relatively unexplored, like the Baterra, than a group with such a convoluted backstory.

Of course, I still expect the new Bionicle to be a reboot, and with that in mind, I think the first set of villains ought to be one with only the barest semblance of a personality. Bionicle had the right idea in 2001—by opening with mind controlled animals as the only antagonists, the story was free to focus on the character development of the Toa so that audiences had a good idea of their personalities and powers long before complex villains were introduced.

• Upvote 2

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

...Nothing...

The Nothing part would explain his quote "You cannot destroy me, for I am Nothing."

It is because you are nothing I can destroy you, Makuta!

• Upvote 1

I hope the new bonkles have a newer head mold similiar to the ones in 2001~2003

One question, why are you set on having the old style heads back? Sure they may have looked cool for some people, but if it was a continuation, they'd want the Glatorian heads to fit as well, most likely, so heads in the style of the old ones wouldn't look very nice. (Remember, those things had a fat jaw, and it doesn't look right with Glatorian helmets.)

Also, even with the sets from that time, the masks often looked weird with that design, not to mention most of the later masks, so why would they want weird-faced guys for everyone?

(Thirdly, it is an old design, it has been gone since the end of 2003 I believe... (Whenever Metru Nui started) (and that reminds me, that head shape was associated with Mata Nui robot at the end, showing that those faces were the ones made back in that time of nearly forever ago, and the faces on everyone has changed since then (current is Metru head I believe, but even that will probably change, as that stuff is no longer being made.)))

Online presences (main ones, at least):

DeviantART: Heontris

YouTube: Heontris

Anything else with the name Heontris is also me. As far as I know.

"Don't be a night owl, it gets boring after the first 6 hours." - Me right now

I hope the new bonkles have a newer head mold similiar to the ones in 2001~2003

One question, why are you set on having the old style heads back? Sure they may have looked cool for some people, but if it was a continuation, they'd want the Glatorian heads to fit as well, most likely, so heads in the style of the old ones wouldn't look very nice. (Remember, those things had a fat jaw, and it doesn't look right with Glatorian helmets.)

Also, even with the sets from that time, the masks often looked weird with that design, not to mention most of the later masks, so why would they want weird-faced guys for everyone?

(Thirdly, it is an old design, it has been gone since the end of 2003 I believe... (Whenever Metru Nui started) (and that reminds me, that head shape was associated with Mata Nui robot at the end, showing that those faces were the ones made back in that time of nearly forever ago, and the faces on everyone has changed since then (current is Metru head I believe, but even that will probably change, as that stuff is no longer being made.)))

The long Metru head is really strange, and the Inika one is awful because it has no compatibility. The 2001-2003 head looks more human-like.

... Fit masks in Glatorian heads ? What ? If there's going to be Toa and Glatorian in this new Reboot/Continuation, they must have different head molds.

Edited by HoloTheWise

The long Metru head is really strange, and the Inika one is awful because it has no compatibility. The 2001-2003 head looks more human-like.

No BIONICLE head looks particularly human-like, least of all the trapezoid-shaped Mata head.  The biggest thing that made the Metru head seem so long was the eye insert, and that was remedied with the later mold that had the axle in the back.

If there's going to be Toa and Glatorian in this new Reboot/Continuation, they must have different head molds.

Not necessarily.

OpAXNpl.jpg

I really liked the look of the Glatorian heads. They seemed realistic (robot-wise), heroic... and friendly, even? IDK, there's just something I like about them. Though, if the new masks use "mouth"-axles, heads are bound to look weird in the long run :P

I was also a fan of the Glatorian heads. Still not perfect (they looked kind of skull-like, especially when animated), but I felt like they were a step in the right direction in terms of looking genuinely face-like. It was easy to believe that they could show expression, which was harder with some of the older heads.
  • Upvote 2