BIONICLE Escalation: where are the impulse sets?!

Takametru007

I'm gonna go out on a limb, and say that there's no other topic like this yet.

Is anyone concerned like I am about the ever-growing size of heroes as I am? I mean, the last regular heroes (from the "Brain Attack" line) were 9.99 USD, with the bigger heroes at 12.99 USD and the "XL" hero at 19.99 USD. The villains were of similar prices. 

Now, the REGULAR BIONICLE heroes are 14.99 USD, and the bigger ones are 19.99 USD! 

I tell you what: when I was a kid, it was hard enough to get 6 6.99 USD sets- it took us a good while before we got all 6 Original Toa. 

Now, the "impulse" sets are 9.99 USD! 

What happened? Why are the "little guys" so big now? Honestly, if their limbs only bent at the shoulder and wrist I wouldn't care too much if they were only about 3.99 USD like they used to be! Me and my bro's used to get the little guys first as stocking stuffers. And since all the Toa need them for is their weapon, then why couldn't they be cheaper?

I'm not talking about the story here- I'm talking about BIONICLE Escalation. How much will the villains for the Toa be? They'll be upwards of 19.99 USD! 

At least when the heroes were smaller, the villains didn't have to be too much bigger. Now, the Toa are the Titans! That means Titans have to be their villains! Those spiders aren't any match for them- The Summer villains could very well be up to $50!

Is anyone else worried? Even if they followed the old model, where the villain was priced as evenly as the hero, there would still be 3 19.99 USD villains for this year! Oh-My-G-O-S-H! 

Will they keep getting bigger? I'm scared! Honestly, I sometimes with they would go back to 9.99 heroes, and 3.99 impulse sets- They're getting too big! And expensive! About $115 for all 6 toa?! It used to be only about $70!

If I was a kid now, I would be lucky if I got one of these new toa, let alone all 6!

Is anyone else worried about this? 

Edited by Takametru007

It's true that sets are getting more and more expensive. But you have to consider that the value of money is not constant over time. Inflation has taken its toll on the dollar, and that is reflected on today's prices--the gap between the "real value" of a set of heroes today and in the past isn't quite as great as it seems, though it is still substantial. Even not accounting for that, however, yes, sets are getting larger and larger. On the one hand, it is certainly something that I've noticed and it has bothered me some that things are as expensive as they are, but at the same time, it has been accompanied with an overall increase in parts, so, hey, that's something. And, I mean, it's pretty consistent with other Lego themes. You'd be hard pressed to find many sets under 10 dollars nowadays, and Lego seems to be doing just fine, even then. I don't think it will affect profits too much, but sure, it's certainly a bit of an annoyance.

• Upvote 2

AXKP5KC.png

Due to inflation and increasing part sizes (basically decreasing amounts of Technic pins), an impulse set on shelves today would probably just be a handful of basic parts you could barely build a recognizable figure with. It would probably lack new molds or recolors. Just look at the Breez mini-mech from last year that would probably retail at about $5-6. Cutting out the smaller parts like Breez and the arms with lightsabers and replacing that with a Kanohi mask and head (probably about equivalent), that's what you'd get. Sad, but true. I wouldn't mind something that was perhaps a bit more Technic heavy that could maybe function as a small Rahi (think Fikou Spider), but it probably wouldn't look that great either.

• Upvote 3

Better to get a big set than a bunch of tiny ones. More value for your money that way anyway.

I have to disagree with you there. Think about the kids--they want play. They want action. One massive figure with a few cool functions and a mask with legs is neat for a little while, but what about when the kids get bored and want to send the Toa on an adventure or something? Solo missions aren't the mos satisfying when it comes to play. They have to fork over another 10 bucks just to get a little guy for the Toa to interact with. 

Multiple easy-to-get sets make for much better play value than a single giant who can stand there and look cool.

~Your friendly, neighborhood Shadow

sotpbanner.png

~Credit for Avatar and Banner goes to

NickonAquaMagna~

Better to get a big set than a bunch of tiny ones. More value for your money that way anyway.

What this guy said. Bigger sets are just plain flat more fun to build and play with, since you spend a longer time messing around with it. 

I have to disagree with you there. Think about the kids--they want play. They want action. One massive figure with a few cool functions and a mask with legs is neat for a little while, but what about when the kids get bored and want to send the Toa on an adventure or something? Solo missions aren't the mos satisfying when it comes to play. They have to fork over another 10 bucks just to get a little guy for the Toa to interact with. 

Multiple easy-to-get sets make for much better play value than a single giant who can stand there and look cool.

Depends on what you want out of a set. If you want to spend a bunch of hours in building or MoCing, a large set makes more sense. If you want to quickly snap your Toa together so you can start the Epic Wars of Conquest of Narrative Nui, then a bunch of smaller sets may make more sense. 

Also, the "conflict-in-a-box" Skull Spiders are supposed to try to remedy this problem, but whether they do it good enough is yet to be seen. 

Fair point, but I was thinking, you still get better build and play value with two big guys than six little ones. Think Takanuva and Icarax, as opposed to the six Av-Matoran.

Pk57sNJ.jpg

Fair point, but I was thinking, you still get better build and play value with two big guys than six little ones. Think Takanuva and Icarax, as opposed to the six Av-Matoran.

True, but these Protectors come with actual functions this time, so it balances out.

With two of them you could do anything from having a distance-shooting competition (like in '05) to some sort of battle game like we got in '09.

Edited by ~T1S~

~Your friendly, neighborhood Shadow

sotpbanner.png

~Credit for Avatar and Banner goes to

NickonAquaMagna~

I'm not worried in the slightest.

I kind of agree with fishers64 on different advantages between larger & smaller sets.

$15 US get's one a decent hero (or a villain with awesome piece count); of which their are 3 to choose from, & then 6 smaller sets ($10 US) which offer a great variety of pieces.

Oh & they all have action features.

I don't see the issue; 3 heroes doesn't seem like much of a limitation, if anything I'd suggest it furthers invites kids to build their own (which is awesome), I really don't understand how other countries economies work at all, but CCBS seems less suited for smaller sets anyway (the $8~ rookies were horrible ...and the 2.0 & 3.0 series don't look much better); the Toa Inika were all around $10~, and well the Protectors have a few more pieces than them.

And honestly the Protectors all look stronger builds than any of the humanoid 'Impulse' Sets we got since like 2006; so maybe 9 years later $10 as a minimum shouldn't strike anyone as a huge surprise or worry; as it is if someone can manage to get hold of $15 a fortnight for Lego sets they'll be able to get the whole wave (before wave two), one set a fortnight on average.

IDK, for six year old to get their parents to fork out $5 a week they should still be able to get all the Heroes before the next wave, & well personally I don't expect many 6yr olds to get a present once a month (or even every 3 weeks). I think it would be nice, but I'm thinking that the Bionicle series looks perfectly viable for a lot of kids to be able to get and enjoy a few sets.

More affluent parents throwing money at kids these days,  & to me getting $10 US a week spare really doesn't look like a huge issue to too many people. & I don't really expect many people to get an entire wave anyway. So yeah...

If I was a kid now, I would be lucky if I got one of these new toa, let alone all 6!

Is anyone else worried about this? 

One would have been very lucky to get all six in the first place.

(Seriously, collecting a whole series of toys seems to be a decent measuring stick for a persons/their parents affluence, or rather their priorities.)

So not as many kids are going to be as lucky this time around, but I don't think it's going to hugely limit most kids MOCing potential...

Then again for those that only build the actual set and display it...

& as much as I disliked hearing "conflict in a box" (those words in that order actually look yuck to me at this point) that and the shooting-action will probably go down well with a lot of young kids. & having one friend to play with who has their own helps.

Well I wouldn't buy many people Lego products if that's what they are going to do; Others or myself get more easily-perceivable enjoyment out of it :P

(Serious question though; how many people only displayed their Lego sets as kids?)

~ Sophistry: A way to be antidisuncorrect. ~

In a decade you might convince maybe a small tribe of people.

In a decade you might also conquer one million km2 of land,

& in over a thousand years you might have over a billion followers.

I like building things. Please don't break the big ones.

& evidential philosophies that dare to extrapolate beyond

an individual's direct experience aren't easily built.

True, but these Protectors come with actual functions this time, so it balances out.

With two of them you could do anything from having a distance-shooting competition (like in '05) to some sort of battle game like we got in '09.

Yeah, the Protectors are way better than the impulse sets. The thing is they're not really impulse sets anymore with the increased size and price, and that's what the OP was complaining about. My post was just saying his money would be better spent on a few big sets than a huge load of impulse sets.

Pk57sNJ.jpg

They're covering the impulse sales with general LEGO-centric things like minifig packs, as far as I can tell. Why make tiny cheap Bionicle sets (which folks would probably look over if several of those would cost the same as a big fancy regular sized Bionicle set, definitely more worth the money, quality over quantity and all that) when everyone loves minifigs?

• Upvote 1

pomegranate-banner-sm.png .

This is exactly why I only buy the sets that are important. If a set is a character that is important to the story like the Toa, then yes, I have no problem paying a large sum of money for them.

The price is something we can't alter so it's best that we just accept it. I don't want to sound rude but that's just how it is. It's out of our control.

Lara Croft

Tomb Raider Cliff Climbing

i suspect the main reason is that making sets small enough to be priced under $10 is nearly impossible with CCBS. that, and Lego hasn't made very many $<10 sets in the last few years at all. economy, etc, etc. playability is also an issue; the old impulse sets from G1 were nice, but far less articulated than their larger counterparts.

• Upvote 1

The issue here is that a lot of kids simply aren't going to be able to afford every Master or Protector. Not unless they do a boatload of chores or get a few of them for their birthday or something. And to those who would say "Kids don't use their own money nowadays, they just beg their parents to get 'em more toys!" Well, parents are going to be more reluctant than ever to "waste" money on more "junk toys that all look the same."

• Upvote 1

the_toa_sig_by_nickinamerica-dbn0wau.png

The Toa- A Bionicle Retelling by NickonAquaMagna http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/25275-the-toa-a-retelling-of-bionicle/

All together the 2015 sets are $180. I mean, if you get paid minimum US wage, you can earn a set in 2-3 hours, and it's not like there's that many sets even.

The issue here is that a lot of kids simply aren't going to be able to afford every Master or Protector. Not unless they do a boatload of chores or get a few of them for their birthday or something. And to those who would say "Kids don't use their own money nowadays, they just beg their parents to get 'em more toys!" Well, parents are going to be more reluctant than ever to "waste" money on more "junk toys that all look the same."

How much do kids get for chores? I never got chore money (I was the kind of person who begged my mother to let me do the dishes and stuff).

• Upvote 1

The question is, how many kids are going to buy them all regardless? Back in Bionicle G1, one of the reasons there were clone sets like the Bohrok was so kids could buy one and get the same play experience as any of the other five. It's never been the case that kids are expected to buy entire waves. (Plus need I mention that your average G1 winter wave would have cost $90 for a kid to obtain, not counting titans. That's still hardly pocket change!)

The question is, how many kids are going to buy them all regardless? Back in Bionicle G1, one of the reasons there were clone sets like the Bohrok was so kids could buy one and get the same play experience as any of the other five. It's never been the case that kids are expected to buy entire waves. (Plus need I mention that your average G1 winter wave would have cost $90 for a kid to obtain, not counting titans. That's still hardly pocket change!)

I thought it was the intent to buy them all, and that's why there's only 6. Other toy lines like Star Wars or TF easily have 40 some figures a year. It was easier for me as a kid to buy all the Bionicles than anything else.

I thought it was the intent to buy them all, and that's why there's only 6. Other toy lines like Star Wars or TF easily have 40 some figures a year. It was easier for me as a kid to buy all the Bionicles than anything else.

It would be stupid to rely on every kid buying the entire line as a business plan, because as I said, that has always been expensive. I usually only had the disposable income to buy one, maybe two sets a year when I was a kid, and unless a majority of other kids got fat stacks of cash each year, the average kid was in a similar place.

It has never mattered whether or not it's feasible for a child to buy the entire line. LEGO's counting on kids to buy one or two favorites, with perhaps those who can afford it going all-out. That may be more expensive now, but that's just because

brbLwPv.png

• Upvote 3

I don't think this is quite as big a deal as people make it out to be. The "normal" BIONICLE heroes in 2008 and 2009 were $13, so the smaller Toa for this year cost less than a dollar more than those would cost today after factoring for inflation.

What's more, these prices are still way cheaper than what it costs to collect a lot of regular LEGO themes like Ninjago or Legends of Chima. Buying just the first wave of 2014 Ninjago sets — seven sets and 14 figures total — would cost you $267. Getting the entire year of sets — ten sets and 19 figures total — would run you $432! In the new BIONICLE, just $180 gets you 13 sets featuring 13 different characters (not counting the smaller Skull Spiders).

Not to mention that the actual value of the sets has increased with their price. The new Toa have a slightly lower price per piece on average than the Toa Nuva from 2002 or the Toa Inika from 2006, even WITHOUT adjusting for inflation. Likewise, the Protectors have a lower price per piece than any BIONICLE "canister sets" and most BIONICLE "small sets". By paying just $3 more per set than the 2008 Matoran, you get three and a half times as many pieces on average.

Edited by Aanchir
  • Upvote 1

By paying just $3 more per set than the 2008 Matoran, you get three and a half times as many pieces on average.

Not the best comparison, considering the 2008 Matoran were literally the worst small sets we ever got.

Believe me, I agree. I was just pointing out how silly it is to treat the prices on these newer sets as outrageous when the price per piece of BIONICLE sets in the past has been so much worse. Any BIONICLE fan who could justify saving up $42 for six sets with a measly 86 pieces back then should be able to justify saving up $60 for six sets with 417 pieces.
  • Upvote 2

I don't think this is quite as big a deal as people make it out to be. The "normal" BIONICLE heroes in 2008 and 2009 were $13, so the smaller Toa for this year cost less than a dollar more than those would cost today after factoring for inflation.

What's more, these prices are still way cheaper than what it costs to collect a lot of regular LEGO themes like Ninjago or Legends of Chima. Buying just the first wave of 2014 Ninjago sets — seven sets and 14 figures total — would cost you $267. Getting the entire year of sets — ten sets and 19 figures total — would run you $432! In the new BIONICLE, just $180 gets you 13 sets featuring 13 different characters (not counting the smaller Skull Spiders).

Not to mention that the actual value of the sets has increased with their price. The new Toa have a slightly lower price per piece on average than the Toa Nuva from 2002 or the Toa Inika from 2006, even WITHOUT adjusting for inflation. Likewise, the Protectors have a lower price per piece than any BIONICLE "canister sets" and most BIONICLE "small sets". By paying just $3 more per set than the 2008 Matoran, you get three and a half times as many pieces on average.

Good points. I guess there's just something... unnerving about seeing those numbers climb ever higher every coupla' years. These sets aren't perceived to be expensive simply because of that. It's because money is less valuable than it used to be because wages haven't gone up enough to keep up with the inflation, so it really is getting harder to afford such things.

Look at it this way. If the price of milk doubled overnight, but a person's spending money didn't, well, they'd only be able to afford half as much milk. While that's crazy and anecdotal, the point is, we have to be pickier and pickier over time about which character we want most. It really isn't much of a problem, now, but what if, someday, down the road, Lego is still making constraction figures, and a protector sized set costs 50 dollars, but 50 dollars isn't that much easier to come by?

It sounds crazy to us, now, but hey, it's gonna get to that point sooner or later... unless they drop the dollar and make a new money system where one of their "moolongs" is worth ten of our dollars, and then that generation will complain as adults because the new figures cost 15 moolongs when "back in their day" they only cost 5. I'm sure it sounds no less absurd than the idea of spending 15-20 dollars on a plastic doll would to someone in the days where you could get a rocking horse for 15 cents.

Not really sure what I'm getting at, here.... this stuff is just fun to talk about.

the_toa_sig_by_nickinamerica-dbn0wau.png

The Toa- A Bionicle Retelling by NickonAquaMagna http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/25275-the-toa-a-retelling-of-bionicle/

I'll admit, spending $180 (that's not including the massive taxes my local stores like to charge) on just Bionicle's leaves a pretty bad taste in my mouth, when I could be buying new PS4 games, food, clothing, etc.

So I decided to buy all of the Toa when they first come out, save a few bucks, and buy the rest of the sets slowly but surely.  

Nightmare+fuel+dwight+so+i+found+this+gi

you know, accepting that this is a toy for children, I guess it isn't really expected for them to "collect them all". I guess I was just a greedy, spoilt child. -_- considering this is Lego, the toy is of higher quality, and has more playability for $20 that even gives Buzz Lightyear a run for his money. So, yeah, I guess what Lego's doing makes sense. What's more, since it's an original line, they don't have to pay licensing fees, so that makes them relatively cheaper than other Lego's even (I've noticed that sets based off movies seem to be more expensive).

This being said, if this keeps up, I might have to just collect by element rather than wave.