What form are the 2015 Toas modeled after?

Manducus

It's quite noticeable that Onua and Pohatu resemble their Toa Mata form, but Tahu and Kopaka are akin to their Nuva forms. And I don't even know where to place Gali and Lewa.

Are the 2015 Toas based off of their Mata and Nuva counterparts? Do the sets strictly resemble a single certain form? Is there no correlation at all?

Edited by Lord Commander Manducus

f495fc6cc0a66dd12aa49fce021072a1.gif

In the designer videos, it's stated that the designers went over the style guide and drew inspiration from both forms, not one to the exclusion of the other. All the toa retain their mata kanohi, with the exception of Gali, who has some inspiration from the Kaukau Nuva and Lewa, who veers off in a new look rather than do something like copy the spikes or even the teeth on Miru Nuva. Their armor comes from the Nuva forms and the dual functions are obviously inspired by the Toa Nuva, so to think they are not based on their past forms is quite frankly, extremely stupid.

• Upvote 2

If you like Pingu & want to support a good project, click here. Also, I've rejoined the BZPRPG & I have a new profile for a new game. Click here to see it.

Not only do the designer videos show that the 2015 Toa are based on all previous iterations of the Toa, like said, but each of those iterations were based on the iteration before (i.e. 2001, 2002, 2008, 2010 versions of Tahu all share similar features, which were then synthesized in 2015).  Some similarities are less overt than others, but the designers put a lot of care into maintaining some form of consistency in their characters across the years.

10% Mata

30% Nuva

20% Adaptive Armour

20% Hero Factory

20% Technic (If that counts)

Wrong. It'd be 50% Mata. 30% Nuva. 10% Adaptive Armour. 0% Hero Factory. 10% Technic. 

All Hero Factory designs focused on weird asymmetry and minimalistic styles of armoring. BIONICLE is using CCBS far better by making the shells act as muscle/body shapes rather than protection for a specific region. They also have better builds AND weapons. Bringing back the classic dual wielding and doing away with the horrid tacky blaster concept is a major thumbs up from me.

• Upvote 5

10% Mata

30% Nuva

20% Adaptive Armour

20% Hero Factory

Wrong. It'd be 50% Mata. 30% Nuva. 10% Adaptive Armour. 0% Hero Factory. 10% Technic. 

All Hero Factory designs focused on weird asymmetry and minimalistic styles of armoring. BIONICLE is using CCBS far better by making the shells act as muscle/body shapes rather than protection for a specific region. They also have better builds AND weapons. Bringing back the classic dual wielding and doing away with the horrid tacky blaster concept is a major thumbs up from me.

Here's the correct version:

10% Mata

30% Nuva

20% Adaptive Armour

100% CCBS

• Upvote 1

:smiletakua: :m_o: :w: :l: :e: :x: :a: :n: :m_d: :e: :r: :smiletol:

76561198067723583.pngAddFriend.png

|

"We are the Turaga of the new generation." ~Owlexander

YouTube - Imgur - Flickr - Bionicle RPG Chat

That's pretty good math right there, 10+30+20+100+20=180%  :dunce:

Seems legit. :/ 

Anyway, I don't know how you guys are seeing any adaptive armor in the new toa since I can't find any overuse of silver, terrible colors or unfamiliar kanohi. 

If you like Pingu & want to support a good project, click here. Also, I've rejoined the BZPRPG & I have a new profile for a new game. Click here to see it.

It's quite noticeable that Onua and Pohatu resemble their Toa Mata form, but Tahu and Kopaka are akin to their Nuva forms. And I don't even know where to place Gali and Lewa.

Are the 2015 Toas based off of their Mata and Nuva counterparts? Do the sets strictly resemble a single certain form? Is there no correlation at all?

If the rest of the toa are based on their old forms, then Gali and Lewa should be based on their MISTIKA forms, possibly.

A signature is supposed to be this:

Jaeger_Gipsy_Danger_Decal_02.png

and BTW https://screen.yahoo.com/star-trek-convention-000000768.html

"I can figure out the code, it's just a simple mathematics." ;)

God, that game is terrible.  :annoyed: Well, Caddy fan, I took a look at your defenders of Okoto and while they look alright, they're too similar to the Okoto Toa, especially Bullstrode. 

• Upvote 1

God, that game is terrible.  :annoyed: Well, Caddy fan, I took a look at your defenders of Okoto and while they look alright, they're too similar to the Okoto Toa, especially Bullstrode. 

Haha, someone gets it! But yeah, I've been told this before and I'm currently trying to find a way to keep them all different from each other as well as different from the toa. Though I can't see how I'll be able to do that due to their characteristics and how to make their bodies match their personalities and fighting styles. :/

|

God, that game is terrible. :annoyed: Well, Caddy fan, I took a look at your defenders of Okoto and while they look alright, they're too similar to the Okoto Toa, especially Bullstrode.

Haha, someone gets it! But yeah, I've been told this before and I'm currently trying to find a way to keep them all different from each other as well as different from the toa. Though I can't see how I'll be able to do that due to their characteristics and how to make their bodies match their personalities and fighting styles. :/

If you want help with that, I have 11 years in character design :)

God, that game is terrible. :annoyed: Well, Caddy fan, I took a look at your defenders of Okoto and while they look alright, they're too similar to the Okoto Toa, especially Bullstrode.

I wouldn't mind some suggestions as to what I should do specifically, after all, it's going to be hard to change their build halfway through my series... which may or may not be coming out by the end of this year...

|

I wouldn't mind some suggestions as to what I should do specifically, after all, it's going to be hard to change their build halfway through my series... which may or may not be coming out by the end of this year...

I left you character help, as well as a MOC base to use

I'm not a master at this stuff... I don't exactly believe I can do any of this. *~*

|

I'm not a master at this stuff... I don't exactly believe I can do any of this. *~*

You never know what you can do until you try. :)

You never know what you can do until you try. :)

You... you have no idea...

|

To those saying that the Toa didn't take any inspiration from their '08 forms, check Lewa again. His mask. Ever wonder why it looks so different from his Mata and Nuva Kanohi? It took inspiration from the AA KAnohi. :) Having a design based on the Phantoka/Mistika doesn't mean that the grey and silver had to be carried over--just the design aesthetic, which was far different from either their Mata or Nuva forms. Another example is Lewa's little silver blades that come over his shoulders. Remember how the Phantoka version had those sliver blades that came over his shoulders? Hm...

Don't let me stop you there, though. :) There's more in most of the others, as well. 

~Your friendly, neighborhood Shadow

sotpbanner.png

~Credit for Avatar and Banner goes to

NickonAquaMagna~

Would've preferred a Miru with the beak or spikes and teeth, but the helmet-like look is pretty good. Now, where the heck does the AA manifest itself in the other masters?

The 2015 sets are based on the characters in general, not strictly on one particular form of those characters. I'm sure the designers put a lot of thought into determining which traits of the characters in their various appearances over the years were most iconic and meaningful, perhaps even drawing from some of the characters' non-set appearances like their depictions in BIONICLE: Mask of Light. But in the end, these are entirely new versions of the characters, not just re-imaginings or updates of a particular previous depiction.

It's obvious that with the masks, at least, the 2001 versions were a major source of inspiration. That's why even Lewa's has a cocky grin and angular chin like the original Miru, while Gali's mask features that distinctive visor around her eyes. But it's also obvious that those ideas were also combined with ideas from other versions of the characters' masks as well as entirely new ideas. So Lewa's mask has smaller eyes and hugs closer to his face like the Miru Nuva, while the forehead of Gali's mask echoes the Kaukau Nuva's organic shaping.

As for the builds themselves, those seem to draw more from the characters' environments and personalities than from previous set depictions — although Onua and Pohatu being the two shortest Toa is a clear homage to their 2001 and 2002 depictions.

• Upvote 3

It seems like they took some serious influence from the Toa Nuva for the weapons (with the notable exception of Onua and Pohatu), and Mata for the mask designs. 

But while they might have taken some influence from the past, I think they mostly took a lot of all-new concepts and decided to roll with them. (Like Pohatu's weapons, for example.)

40% Nuva

20% Mata

20% Adaptive

10% Anything else Bionicle

1% Hero Factory

I don't care if it's 101%

[large file size linked]

It's still a higher percentage than the effort Lego put into the character designs :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Tt04ZSlbZ0

SHOTS FIRED!

Edited by Makaru

|

40% Nuva

20% Mata

20% Adaptive

1% Hero Factory

[large file size linked]

It's still a higher percentage than the effort Lego put into the character designs :P

SHOTS FIRED!

Honestly the designs aren't that bad, but with the time they took they could've been much better. Each character has a different level of dedication to their designs, with Pohatu being the most Generic and Lewa having the poorest mask design. Tahu was actually given the most detail and the effort took a noticeable dip when it came to Kopaka. Gali's design is fair, but the weapon is too bulky with technic pieces and her mask has no targeted resemblance to the mata version as intended. Onua has a nice design, but I feel they were trying too hard to give the character a bulky feel which negatively affected his head and limbs.

However

I've learned to look past the design flaws now, and the characters are still a treasured part of my collection. Normally I take the sets apart after building them but I'm keeping my Lewa together :)

Edited by Makaru
  • Upvote 1

40% Nuva

20% Mata

20% Adaptive

1% Hero Factory

[large file size linked]

SHOTS FIRED!

Honestly the designs aren't that bad, but with the time they took they could've been much better. Each character has a different level of dedication to their designs, with Pohatu being the most Generic and Lewa having the poorest mask design. Tahu was actually given the most detail and the effort took a noticeable dip when it came to Kopaka. Gali's design is fair, but the weapon is too bulky with technic pieces and her mask has no targeted resemblance to the mata version as intended. Onua has a nice design, but I feel they were trying too hard to give the character a bulky feel which negatively affected his head and limbs.

However

I've learned to look past the design flaws now, and the characters are still a treasured part of my collection. Normally I take the sets apart after building them but I'm keeping my Lewa together :)

...still a pretty sweet burn tho.

Edited by Makaru

|

10% Mata

30% Nuva

20% Adaptive Armour

20% Hero Factory

*Slowly hides the Protectors and Skull Warrior*

40% Nuva

20% Mata

20% Adaptive

1% Hero Factory

[large file size linked]

Hahahahaha- oh wait, you weren't kidding?

These Toa are far superior to any of their past forms, with stabler functions, dual weapons that put the Nuva to shame, etc. Not to mention they're not clones.

• Upvote 2

Gali certainly has a lot of influences from all three of her G1 iterations;

• The mask has googles like her Mata mask, and a pointy chin like the Mistika version.
  • The lighter blue colour is very reminiscent of that used with her Mata and Nuva forms.
  • The axe tool and flippers are obviously reverences to Gali Nuva.
  • The silver is reminiscent of her Nuva and Mistika forms.

As for the rest, aside from mask design I'm not really sure. Kopaka having a shield and Skis definitely harkens back to his Mata and Nuva forms, but he's still immensely dissimilar to his previous iterations. The biggest deviation from the original designs would definitely be Onua - from lanky hunchback to gorrilla-like brute. But you know what? While it's nice to have references to the originals, it's even better that Lego are doing something unique and new with G2. I look forward to seeing how they - or other heroes - look in the future! 

Edited by Logan McOwen
  • Upvote 1

Quick answer?

The 2015 Toa are based off of three things: Toa Mata, Toa Nuva, and a sprinkle of remixed creative imagination.

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Spherus Magna redo | Tzais-Kuluu  |  Pushing Back The Tide  |  Last Words  |  Black Coronation  | Blue Man Bound | Visions of Thasos   ن

We are all but grey specks in a dark complex before a single white light