OFFICIAL 2016 Bionicle Topic

Makaru

I like the color scheme of the 2016 Toa sets, but I'm not sold on them yet. They don't stand out to me as much as the 2015 sets. Though that may be from the fact that this the second year of the theme instead of the first. :P 

On the other hand, I really like Umarak. I think he looks really cool with his color scheme and build. Plus he has the 2.0 Skull Basher horns. Maybe he is an upgraded Skull Basher. :P

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

Edit: I just have to add this picture here, what in darn blazes is lego thinking with randomly creating yellow 3 length pins? I knew light gray was a good strategy in 2003-2004 and onwards but now a prototype variety of yellow pins being used for pins in leg building sticking out like bruises!

I dont like their strategy one bit, these pins look like something mega blocks would do.

http://cache.lego.com/r/dynamic/is/image/LEGO/71305_alt3?op_sharpen=0&resmode=sharp4&wid=4000&fit=constrain,1&fmt=png-alpha

Far as I can tell only Lewa and his creature (moskitox? probably moskitox.) have those. Tahu and Kopaka definitely has gray ones, and I don't see any yellow anywhere else. It's certainly random, but I don't think it looks out of place on the Jungle sets.

Edited by dotcom

AXKP5KC.png

Edit: I just have to add this picture here, what in darn blazes is lego thinking with randomly creating yellow 3 length pins? I knew light gray was a good strategy in 2003-2004 and onwards but now a prototype variety of yellow pins being used for pins in leg building sticking out like bruises!

I dont like their strategy one bit, these pins look like something mega blocks would do.

http://cache.lego.com/r/dynamic/is/image/LEGO/71305_alt3?op_sharpen=0&resmode=sharp4&wid=4000&fit=constrain,1&fmt=png-alpha

Far as I can tell only Lewa and his creature (moskitox? probably moskitox.) have those. Tahu and Kopaka definitely has gray ones, and I don't see any yellow anywhere else. It's certainly random, but I don't think it looks out of place on the Jungle sets.
Well i hope it's just decoration piece and not the beginning of yellow vs gray invasion

qs3135.jpg

I think the biggest issue I can think of with the new sets overall is that the new torso construction looks too tall.  Hopefully there will be a way to make the torso shorter without extensive modification.

Also, I hope the hip and torso pieces don't clip together like the shooter pieces, but that's what it looks like.

Other than that the new pieces look snazzy and I need all the animals, if only for the adorable vicious bear traps they come with.

• Upvote 1

OpAXNpl.jpg

Finally, I can talk about the sets! I won't say much now but I love this wave, the whole uniter thing with the creatures, Onua is by far the best, I like the elemental crystal theme and Umarak's mask is GLORIOUS.

10331959915_9f4d0b34c7.jpg
"Avengers? Fantastic Four? X-Dudes? They can all kiss my bony, flammable plastic."- Johnathan Blaze (Ghost Rider Vol 7 0.1)

I love Lewa's bulging and sexy kneecaps, but I would prefer light bluish grey axles to those weird yellow ones. His blade design is kind of weird, they're like spinning tonfas and seem really impractical. Not sure why they molded a new eyepiece instead of just recycling old ones.

If you like Pingu & want to support a good project, click here. Also, I've rejoined the BZPRPG & I have a new profile for a new game. Click here to see it.

I think the biggest issue I can think of with the new sets overall is that the new torso construction looks too tall.  Hopefully there will be a way to make the torso shorter without extensive modification.

Also, I hope the hip and torso pieces don't clip together like the shooter pieces, but that's what it looks like.

Other than that the new pieces look snazzy and I need all the animals, if only for the adorable vicious bear traps they come with.

You'll have to extensively modify them. They use a long CCBS bone beam as the center for the torso. The head connects to the top of it. 

Edited by Tarvaxx

Yeah, not a fan of yellow, but eh.

I think it's not that it's too tall, it's that their shoulders are too high up or their arms too short. I'd move one set of Lewa's joint extenders to his arms.

I actually might be less interested now. The Masters were nicely smooth with clean lines, but these guys look like the inika proportions returned, bringing with them extremely overdesigned armour. I'm not saying i won't get these, but I'm definitely not looking forward to these as much as the last wave.

:r: :e: :g: :i: :t: :n: :u: :i:

Elemental Rahi in Gen2, anyone? A write-up for an initial video for a G2 plot

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

The Toa use a new eyestalk piece. I'm pretty sure they tried to limit the colors due to already having to make a new mold. Cost reasons I'd assume. Although, I think it works well for Toa like Lewa and Onua. It's better for the eyes to contrast than blend in with the colorscheme, that way they're more noticeable. Lewa already has lime, and green isn't that far off. It makes the eyes pop out less than they should. I'm not sure how I feel about Gali having blue eyes though... you won't even be able to see them. I'd have preferred for her to have had orange eyes, but that's impractical for LEGO since orange is being marketing as the evil eye color.  

@masterchirox580 Ehhh... Think more Makuta Teridax and to a lesser extent the 2003matoran/Rahkshi/Vahki. It's a wast swivel function, so that they can use their staves. Rather ingenious, I'd say. It also goes with what I'd presume to be a "hunting" theme, given Umarak's title and what-not. 

Edited by Tarvaxx

I actually might be less interested now. The Masters were nicely smooth with clean lines, but these guys look like the inika proportions returned, bringing with them extremely overdesigned armour. I'm not saying i won't get these, but I'm definitely not looking forward to these as much as the last wave.

I'm not sure what you mean about "The Inika proportions returned". I'd almost consider many of these figures as UNLIKE the Inika proportions as possible. The only thing that made the Toa Inika proportions significantly different from the Toa Metru proportions that preceded them was that they had exaggeratedly long arms and legs compared to the length of their torsos. Whereas these characters' arms and legs are generally quite short, some of them arguably TOO short for their new torsos.

For instance, the new Pohatu's legs are 12.5 modules long from the base of his foot to the center of his hip joint, whereas the rest of his body appears to be about 13.5 modules long (counting his mask). Generally, you'd want the legs to be the same length or longer than the rest of the body. Fortunately, the rest of the Toa's leg proportions move in a slightly more sensible direction. Lewa's legs are 13 modules long. Gali's and Onua's are 13.5 modules long, Kopaka's are 14.5 modules long, and Tahu's are 15.5 modules long.

Their arms also generally seem to be a tad bit too short for their torsos. Generally, you'd want the wrist joint level with or below the hips (but not, as with the Toa Inika, level with the knees). The wrists of the 2016 Toa generally don't quite reach the hips — they're about nine modules from the center of the shoulder to the center of the hip, but eight modules from the center of the shoulder to the center of the wrist.

In terms of overall height, Lewa gained about one and a half modules from this year to next year, Pohatu gained about three modules, Gali, Tahu, and Kopaka gained about two modules, and Onua gained about four modules. The overall 2016 Toa height range for next year is 26 to 29 modules tall (average: 27.25 modules), whereas the 2015 Toa height range was 23 to 27 modules tall (average: 24.833 modules). On average, each Toa gained 2.417 modules in height, and eighty percent of that growth was in the length of the torso alone.

Edited by Aanchir
  • Upvote 3

OK, point taken. They just feel disproportionate to me, and I guess I didn't read much further than that.

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

OK, point taken. They just feel disproportionate to me, and I guess I didn't read much further than that.

I understand! And I hope it didn't seem like my post was trying to beat you into the ground. I just thought it was a good opportunity for me to do some analysis of my own and see just how the proportions had changed from last year, other than just the general idea that the torsos became longer.

• Upvote 2

Yeah, that's pretty disappointing. Luckily I have a ton of spare black ones that I can swap out, but it's still inconveniant.

shadow_destroyer_banner.jpg
Thank you to the Dark Beings Banner and Avatar Shop for the banner! Brickshelf Gallery  BZPRPG Profiles 

Yeah, that's pretty disappointing. Luckily I have a ton of spare black ones that I can swap out, but it's still inconveniant.

The yellow cross axles first showed up in the Wall-E set, but now some sets seem to be using yellow cross axles as an alternative to grey in a number of sizes. They don't, however, appear to be entirely replacing the grey ones, as there are plenty of Technic and Bionicle sets still using the grey ones. So perhaps they'll just become an alternate color, kind of like how both blue and grey half-pins are still in circulation.

Personally, I think they look GREAT on Lewa and Uxar, and actually wish Lewa used more Bright Yellow accents throughout his build. It'd be a great accent color for him just like the Bright Orange is for Gali or the Dark Azur is for Tahu. It's kind of weird, because he did use contrasting yellow parts extensively in the 2015 version, but his 2016 color scheme is a lot more tame.

Edited by Aanchir

Personally, I think they look GREAT on Lewa and Uxar, and actually wish Lewa used more Bright Yellow accents throughout his build. It'd be a great accent color for him just like the Bright Orange is for Gali or the Dark Azur is for Tahu. It's kind of weird, because he did use contrasting yellow parts extensively in the 2015 version, but his 2016 color scheme is a lot more tame.

Yeah, I think they look great, also. They definitely help get the Jungle vibe out, especially when they're connected into Trans-Green pieces of sorts.

The yellow cross axles first showed up in the Wall-E set, but now some sets seem to be using yellow cross axles as an alternative to grey in a number of sizes. They don't, however, appear to be entirely replacing the grey ones, as there are plenty of Technic and Bionicle sets still using the grey ones. So perhaps they'll just become an alternate color, kind of like how both blue and grey half-pins are still in circulation.

Tahu has dark azur, not bright blue?

Tahu has dark azur, not bright blue?

I'm not 100% sure, but I think so...

Don't you just love how the Toa are wearing their newfound pets like clothes?

Yeah, it's quite amusing. Though I think it ends up working out a lot better than the Matoran piggyback rides from 2008. You can really tell that Tahu or Lewa or Gali are more powerful with their creature than without it, whereas in 2008 it just ended up looking peculiar or awkward, like the Toa and Makuta were burdened with having to carry the extra weight of a Matoran.

Ikir's combination feature gives me a bit of a Banjo Kazooie vibe, to be honest!

• Upvote 2

Don't you just love how the Toa are wearing their newfound pets like clothes?

Ikir's combination feature gives me a bit of a Banjo Kazooie vibe, to be honest!

It's weird, because I'm somewhat interested in the Banjo-Kazooie game series, yet that vibe never crossed my mind. Now that you've stated it yourself, I can totally see that. I may consider having Ikir and Tahu combined just because of that.

It's weird, because I'm somewhat interested in the Banjo-Kazooie game series, yet that vibe never crossed my mind. Now that you've stated it yourself, I can totally see that. I may consider having Ikir and Tahu combined just because of that.

For a true Banjo/Kazooie vibe it'll work best with blue pieces on Pohatu 2016 upper legs for the shorts on his legs and combine Ikir on his back to be Kazooie

Edited by ---Kopaka Nuva---

qs3135.jpg

For a true Banjo/Kazooie vibe it'll work best with blue pieces on Pohatu 2016 upper legs for the shorts on his legs and combine Ikir on his back to be Kazooie

I can see that working pretty well. It's a good idea, but I want to leave my Toa built as they are meant to be, according to official instructions and media. I might do that if I get a spare Pohatu, though.

@masterchirox580 Ehhh... Think more Makuta Teridax and to a lesser extent the 2003matoran/Rahkshi/Vahki. It's a wast swivel function, so that they can use their staves. Rather ingenious, I'd say. It also goes with what I'd presume to be a "hunting" theme, given Umarak's title and what-not. 

Oh yeah I forgot about those. To be fair I never had those sets and my internet access was limited at the time so the only place I knew of that function was from KKII.

It's time to move on.

excuse me but i think i know how lego wil be hadaling the waves

wave 1 all heros but 1 villan set

wave 2 all villans but 1 hero set

oh and by the way you know those fake 2016 borhok images well i think the borohk still might be coming back because of the villan uamrak will prably get the mask of controll and awake the borhok or something like that

oh and by the way you know those fake 2016 borhok images well i think the borohk still might be coming back because of the villan uamrak will prably get the mask of controll and awake the borhok or something like that

If these sets are following the same release pattern as this year then that leaves room for only 5 villains. If so then that doesn't leave room for the six elemental bohrok like in 2002 and 2003. It's possible they could have bohrok elements but the amount of new molds that would be required to remake the bohrok would probably (sadly) hold back such an idea. 

It's time to move on.

If these sets are following the same release pattern as this year then that leaves room for only 5 villains. If so then that doesn't leave room for the six elemental bohrok like in 2002 and 2003. It's possible they could have bohrok elements but the amount of new molds that would be required to remake the bohrok would probably (sadly) hold back such an idea. 

yeah i kinda of agree i just thought it would be cool if they came back and plus if we do  get the six elemental brohok it kinda of makes sense because there are no other good guy who  need saving like ekimu so its still a possibility in my eyes or we could just  have another ekimu set and 5 throw away villains like this year <_<

Edited by tophat+hordika=hatdika

Lewa's arms are comically short. Aside from that, he and the rest are good.

Lewa's arms are the same length as most of the other Toa's arms, aren't they? The only Toa who actually has longer arms than any of the others is Kopaka. Arguably Lewa's should be a bit longer than Tahu's or Onua's since his shoulders appear to be raised higher, but the same goes for Pohatu and Gali.

Really, I'd say the bigger problem is that the Toa's torsos are too long, which on some of them throws off the proportions of both the arms and the legs. Previously the Toa's torsos were nine modules long, now they're eleven modules long. Yet the Toa's arms have mostly stayed the same length as this year's, and Lewa's legs and arms have actually gotten shorter

Edited by Aanchir
  • Upvote 2

It still concerns me. That along with the over-detailed torso pieces makes me unsure whether I'll buy any. Maybe onua for MoC parts. I am, however, willing to reserve judgement until I start seeing set reviews in the new year.

• Upvote 1

Lewa's arms are comically short. Aside from that, he and the rest are good.

Lewa's arms are the same length as most of the other Toa's arms, aren't they? The only Toa who actually has longer arms than any of the others is Kopaka. Arguably Lewa's should be a bit longer than Tahu's or Onua's since his shoulders appear to be raised higher, but the same goes for Pohatu and Gali.

Really, I'd say the bigger problem is that the Toa's torsos are too long, which on some of them throws off the proportions of both the arms and the legs. Previously the Toa's torsos were nine modules long, now they're eleven modules long. Yet the Toa's arms have mostly stayed the same length as this year's, and Lewa's legs and arms have actually gotten shorter

Like his shins, Lewa's shoulders have a very... unorthodox construction that places them SO HIGH that his arms, despite their pretty standard length, don't reach very far down.

And yeah.. their torsos are kinda long. On the larger figures (Tahu, Onua, Kopaka) it works very well. In fact, Onua is probably the best-built somewhat beefy Toa I've ever seen. Shorter members, like Gali and Pohatu, despite being sllllightly off, still look okay. Lewa, though... hoooh boy.

It still concerns me. That along with the over-detailed torso pieces makes me unsure whether I'll buy any. Maybe onua for MoC parts. I am, however, willing to reserve judgement until I start seeing set reviews in the new year.

The new pieces are over-detailed because people kept whining about the "lack of pistons for a year, because pistons defined everything about Bionicle, dontcha' know? Lego's trying to make it up to these people, and... they might be overcompensating.

Edited by NickonAquaMagna

the_toa_sig_by_nickinamerica-dbn0wau.png

The Toa- A Bionicle Retelling by NickonAquaMagna http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/25275-the-toa-a-retelling-of-bionicle/