Most Out Of Character Set

Kopaka25

What sets do you think do not represent their character very well? For me, it's Hahli Inika for reasons that we can all guess... Others I think are Kongu Mahri and Gali Mistika.

"Where wisdom and valor fail, all that remains is faith. And it can overcome all."
- Tahu

I have to agree with Cederak. The shadow hand from Ultimate Dume didn't do the scale - or evilness - of the storyline justice. As a combiner, I thought it was rather mediocre.I don't think the Bitil set did justice to the character. While Gorast and Krika looked like the insects upon which their design was ostensibly based, the only thing beetle-like about Bitil was his mask and, to a degree, his wings. They could have done a better job channeling Bitil's inner beetle.

tumblr_ng1pw4xLEM1tryxewo1_1280.jpg

I would say the most out of character set is Toa Lhikan and Kikanalo. Those two figures never interacted in the story as far as I know. They just were sold together to make a titan set.Another one would be that Turaga Lhikan that came with the batteries. Aside from the mask it looked nothing like the character.

:smiletol: I am Takanui Nuva. The Toa Nuva of Light :smiletol:
11.gifI also go by Baron Von Brickenstein 11.gif

AFOL, Gamer and overall nice person.

I would say the most out of character set is Toa Lhikan and Kikanalo. Those two figures never interacted in the story as far as I know. They just were sold together to make a titan set.Another one would be that Turaga Lhikan that came with the batteries. Aside from the mask it looked nothing like the character.

Yeah, but to be fair to the Lego company, it saved on canisters and/or boxing to have Lhikan and the Kikanalo together. Separately though, I think each set did a fine job showcasing the Toa Mangai leader and a bulky Rahi.-Ced

I agree with Cederak and Sumiki about Ultimate Dume. I like the combiner itself (it's over two feet tall, it was the coolest thing ever when I first built it), but it really doesn't do Teridax justice.That said, some of the Barraki (Takadox, anyone?) didn't look evil at all due to ridiculous head designs. Also, I feel that Krika's lack of a second pair of legs rather detracted from his insectishness.

Nuparu had an odd shift when he was transformed, losing his orange and getting those spikes on his head. The Zamors and weapons helped, though.Also the original Toa Nuva seemed to be a bit of a leap from their previous selves. Onua went from claws to chainsaws, Gali went from hooks to axes, not to mention most of them suddenly becoming symmetrical and the huge changes in their masks. The fact that they used essentially the same construction as before offset it a bit, though.

OpAXNpl.jpg

Ultimate Dume looked nothing like Makuta's shadow titan form from LOMN and MOL.And the Inika didn't look that similar to their matoran counterparts either. If I hadn't known their names, I would have thought they were completely new characters.

Laughing_Man_Icon_by_CoyoteTracks.gif

Does anyone want to play the Master Chief Collection with me? I'm trying to get a team going for ranked. PM for GT.

Hahli Inika. Her character could have been much more appealing as a product and character if her appearance wasn't so hideous. I am also in agreement with Akuna - the characters could have shared some similarities with their Matoran counterparts, although obviously not with their Kanohi, due to storyline issues that would be hard to overcome. Even if they attempted to connect their masks with their Toa-forms, they'd have to do create a story background, whereas there would be many difficulties involved to actually make it believable.

On the day the wall came down / They threw the locks onto the ground

And with glasses high / We raised a cry / For freedom had arrived

On the day the wall came down / The ship of fools had finally run aground

Promises lit up the night / Like paper doves in flight

I dreamed you had left my side / No warmth, not even pride remained

And even though you needed me / It was clear that I could not do a thing for you

Now life devalues day by day / As friends and neighbors turn away

And there's a change that even with regret / Cannot be undone

Now frontiers shift like desert sands / While nations wash their bloodied hands

Of loyalty, of history / In shades of grey

I woke to the sound of drums / The music played, the morning sun streamed in

I turned and I looked at you / And all but the bitter residues slipped away

slipped away...

Ultimate Dume, of course.But thinking of him also reminded me of Krekka. He was supposed to be a hulking brute, but with his spindly legs and nonexistant arms you don't get that impression at all.~|ET|~

E-T... Phone home.

"He walks among us, but he is not one of us."

Ultimate Dume. Sure, his shadow hand was cool, but he didn't look like Teridax at all. More like some winged Rahi if you took off the shadow hand. He could've at least wore the Kraakhan. I think that the LOMN version of Ultimate Dume was better and more accurate.

Coming June 22nd: Your chance to become an ECC critic! Power of the pen in your hands!

Probably Antroz as he appears in the Jetrax T6, who looks more like Icarax than Antroz. In my drawings I interpreted it as that armor style designates the local leader of the Brotherhood of Makuta, so Jetrax would have earned the right to wear it after Icarax died. But overall his mask was the only think designating him as Antroz, and even that didn't particularly impress me, looking like tiny details of the previous version had just been moved to a much less interesting mask shape.I actually felt all the Toa Inika and Toa Mahri set designs were very in-character, although in Hahli's case I preferred the Toa Inika design which I felt looked far more feminine (yes, including the mask).Ultimate Dume didn't look like he did in Legends of Metru Nui, but I wouldn't say that's the set's fault. Since Makuta Teridax is a shapeshifter who had been seen in various completely different-looking appearances before (including the Makuta-Nui combination model and the infected Matoran form from MNOG), he could have easily had that particular appearance in [/i]Legends of Metru Nui[/i]. The only reason he didn't was probably because the movie makers wanted to make sure you could recognize him as the same character from Mask of Light, something that had never been necessary before his movie appearance in 2003 was established.As for the Mistika, I think they were pretty loyal to the characters as their personalities were at that point in time, although I can say I was disappointed with the Mistika since their masks had less resemblance to the previous Kanohi Nuva than the Phantoka's masks had, and since they were less unique in design than the Phantoka who each had a different torso design.

I wasn't too happy with the Inika. They all looked bizarrely brutal considering what lovable little Matoran they had originated from.

What looked "brutal" about them? The main difference I saw in them is that they looked taller, a bit more grown-up, and better armed, just like every one of the Toa Metru did in Legends of Metru Nui. The only one I would consider remotely brutal-looking was Nuparu because of the spikes on his mask.Also, I think "lovable little Matoran" is romanticizing their origins. Both Jaller and Kongu led entire military divisions. Nuparu invented a powerful war machine IN A CAVE, WITH A BOX OF SCRAPS. Sure, Matoran in 2001 looked really cute, but I see no reason that Matoran should have stopped becoming Toa because they'd stop looking adorable.

I never said they shouldn't have become Toa or that they weren't serious characters to start with.But it's hard to deny that the Inika had a very different design aesthetic than the Metru, who were quite neutral in appearance—the Inika were far more threatening. Kongu had his deranged, grimacing, half-eaten-away mask, Hahli had her narrow, sinister eyes, Nuparu looked like a nightmare version of Mr. T, and so on. They weren't a very friendly or noble-looking bunch compared with other Toa we've had. Their Mahri designs were much more in-character.

I have to agree with Ultimate Dume and the Inika. Some of the Karda Nui Makuta, too, have been mentioned, and they could've looked a tad bit more insect-like.Ultimate Dume was cool though, just not the best representation. I still like him. The Inika too, but not as much as some of the other Toa teams.

"The moral of the story is, I chose a half measure when I should have gone all the way. I'll never make that mistake again. No more half measures Walter."

Agreed on Onua's height, though at least his mask and shield were in-character. I'd have given him Pohatu Phantoka's build, which is appropriately short and strong... Pohatu would probably get something unique, emphasizing his lower body strength. I've never felt like Pohatu is the type to have unbelievably broad shoulders.

I was always annoyed that Onua Mistika wasn´t the smallest of the team, but the LARGEST. :wacko:-Gata signoff.jpg

I agree, the tall, relatively skinny Onua really didn't match his super-strong character, and also, Onua Mistika didn't have the bulky and hunched appearance that I loved about his previous versions.
kadin.png kadin.png kadin.png

Agreed on Onua's height, though at least his mask and shield were in-character. I'd have given him Pohatu Phantoka's build, which is appropriately short and strong... Pohatu would probably get something unique, emphasizing his lower body strength. I've never felt like Pohatu is the type to have unbelievably broad shoulders.

Now that you mention it, Pohatu Phantoka´s broad shoulders are incredibly out of character, too, as he had the narrowest shoulders of all Toa with his reverted torso. :blink: What you said about Pohatu´s lower strength is not true, though. Actually, he would be stronger than Onua if it weren´t for his Pakari.-Gata signoff.jpg

- Gata

signoffLarge.png

Please don't use my avatar or signature without permission, thanks! ^_^

Now that you mention it, Pohatu Phantoka´s broad shoulders are incredibly out of character, too, as he had the narrowest shoulders of all Toa with his reverted torso. :blink: What you said about Pohatu´s lower strength is not true, though. Actually, he would be stronger than Onua if it weren´t for his Pakari.-Gata signoff.jpg
Nah, I meant lower body strength as opposed to upper body strength. Pohatu had them legs, you know.

Nah, I meant lower body strength as opposed to upper body strength. Pohatu had them legs, you know.
Ohh, right. I think the Vahki legs succeeded pretty well in giving him a strong lower appearance, though.-Gata signoff.jpg

- Gata

signoffLarge.png

Please don't use my avatar or signature without permission, thanks! ^_^

:kaukau: Hahli Inika. I could go into a long rant, but I'm assuming to things here: One, that it's self-explanatory, and two, without even reading this topic I'm assuming that someone else has done it for me.Your Honor,Tyrannosaurus Kraggh

Honestly, other than claiming the Elda looks like it has a moustache, which it doesn't, I don't see why people get so hung up over Hahli Inika. She looks about as feminine as the other female Toa incarnations. Admittedly, that still doesn't mean much, but that's another issue altogether.~B~

hewkii mahri, matoro mahri, hahli inika, mata nui, TAHU MISTIKA, onua mistika, gali mistika, Kongu mahri (set was ok, but the toa of earth stature was soooo wrong for a toa of air)

Pohatu Phantoka,because.. I don't really see what orange has to do with the element of stone. I also felt his Kanohi looked too.. Sci-Fi for me. And he seemed too tall for his character.

oh I think (atleast shape wise) it somewhat resembled an original kakama (photok's moreso however) which was alot better than most of the 08 nuva Edited by Ids5621

sam_7163_-_copy.jpg

The Misadventures of

Onipex and Pals! Go watch it now! :biggrin:

I don't really know. I'm still a kid, so they were all in-character for me.But the Mistika and Phantoka... Just... '.'They just weren't... I don't know... They just didn't feel like them in appearence. For me, the original Nuva are the only I can imagine. But Pohatu... I can't say anything bad about him. He's one of my hug toys for when I'm all upset.

Tahu.png

i wanna be the very best

like no one ever was

to catch them is my real test

to train them is my cause

• 3 weeks later...

Onua mistika was way out of character. As others have said he was turned from short and muscular to a very tall toa which gave a bad impression and even the removal of his hunchback head which defined him a lot was unsettling.On top of it all, Onua's swamp adapted pakari nuva wasn't very great looking, it looked too much like a makuta mask rather than a heroic mask.

Edited by .-:Kopaka Nuva:-.

qs3135.jpg

As ever, the Toa Mistika. They were just wrong, wrong, wrong. But, they're easy to criticise and everyone's doing it, so let's be original, huh? So elsewhere, I have to say...Um...Hm...I dunno really. The Inika looked pretty aggressive...But that's really about it...Huh.

LzcD9OS.png

I wrote stories once. They were okay.

• 2 weeks later...

Malum. Malum didn't look evil at all. When I first saw a pic of him I thought "Oh no another fire hero."

Mmhmm. Onua Mistika looked more evil than him. Seriously. I know it's been said already, but the Onua I know is short and bulky. This...guy, while he's easily the best-looking Toa Mistika design of the three...doesn't look like Onua at all. If anything, he looks like a Makuta who's better off scheming evil plans than actually fighting. (I mean, he's a tall, skinny guy with a mask that looks like a Kraakhan)

As awsome as the Mata Nui sets were, each had something in the storyline the other didn't. The set "Mata Nui" had a cannon scarabax shield, but had a non-cannon thornax launcher. On the other hand, the titan "toa mata nui" set had a cannon vorox sword, but a non-cannon thornax-launcher-shield.

keetkiril.gifqSvBogp.jpgkeetkiril.gif