MNOLG: The Bohrok Swarms

Nuparu77

Wow, that's an awesome idea! I can't wait to try this out, downloading it right now! It's really nice to see some more Fan-Created games being posted, as this forum has been pretty much dead topic-wise for a while.

Just so you know, the screenshots only link to the thumbnails, not the larger image.

EDIT: Wow, that is amazing. I'm only to Ga-Koro, and I'm stunned. It seems so much like MNOLG, and yet different in some great ways. I love the new animations during the talking parts; just watching the characters nod in the old ones got kind of boring. It's great to walk around Mata Nui again, and this time, you've got Jaller to accompany you! I love all those references to things we know now, such as Nixie's description of the "Great Cleansing" and it's relation to the awakening of Mata Nui, and Takua's white text while everyone else's corresponds to their main/elemental color, if that was intentional. Great job, I can't wait to see more.

One problem I noticed though is it's really easy to get confused by all the turns. For example, when I walked out of the Inn thing Takua was in (which could be labelled in Matoran, BTW), I thought that I had exited from the doorway that I was looking at (which really led to Ta-Koro). It might be nice to redesign some areas like the Inn, the Sundial, and maybe a little bit of Ga-Koro to show where you came out of, and where you can go. I just feel like those turning buttons often go the opposite way, and I get lost.

By the way, I noticed about half the lines weren't capitalized, many of them were lacking apostraphies. Jaller calls Takua "Takuya" in the first animation, and then "Bohrok" was spelled "Borak" in the talk with Vakama, and right afterwards, Takua said "Jiller" or something instead of "Jaller." During the Nokama talk, "Villiges" should be "Villages," but I can't remember if there were any more. I think there were, but I'll have to look through it a few more. I'd report these into the Issues list, but I'm unsure what to put under "Map Name." :D

Edited by Click

Thank you Click for the fast response!

One problem I noticed though is it's really easy to get confused by all the turns.

Yeah, I will see what I can do. I try and make things seem natural but without working in a real 3D environment it's sometimes hard to have all the turns match up. The original game had the same problem in some places. I actually added the scene in Ga-koro facing away from the docks and towards the center of town because it really needed one there. But I'll work on the Ta-koro inn area.

I'd report these into the Issues list, but I'm unsure what to put under "Map Name." :D

On the bottom right of the screen there is a button called "Debug Mode" when you run into an error click this button and copy/paste the mapname displayed at the top of the menu (should be something like XVIII.11) this will tell me exactly where the error occurred. Also at the bottom of the menu there is a button called "MataNui" this should change all the signs in the game from English to MataNui so that you can check them for spelling as well. Thanks for posting what you found, I'll definitely get on those errors!

boxor_10.jpg

~Fan-Made Game~

Oh my Nostalgia this is incredible! Almost exactly the perfect sequel (Or continuation) to MNOG that Lego should have done. I loved meeting the Matoran all over again and loved their unique characters, especially Hafu. However, I do have a small complaint about the Turaga, they seem out of character or just simply do not have any at all. All in all though, incredible! Keep on doing it, please!

However, I do have a small complaint about the Turaga, they seem out of character or just simply do not have any at all. All in all though, incredible! Keep on doing it, please!

I tried to have their dialog fit what they would say but, I see what you're getting at, without a cutscene for each of them their character is hard to see. I will keep this in mind and try to work on this as I progress in the next chapter.

Wow, so much nostalgia from playing MNOGs and the Bohrok animations from the screenshots. Hadn't played it yet, but is there a save mode? So you can save if you need to take a break?

On the bottom of the screen there should be two buttons "Save Game" and "Load Game" took me a while to figure out how to get these functions working. Oh and it saves the games in a form of cookie, so if you move the game to a different folder you will lose your saves.

boxor_10.jpg

~Fan-Made Game~

This seems to be extremely awesome and I will definately play when my laptob is fixed. From the screenshots I can tell you this is almost exatly like the much-loved MNOlGOne question: Is it first person like MNOLG or 3th person MNOLG 2?

I'm back!

This seems to be extremely awesome and I will definately play when my laptob is fixed. From the screenshots I can tell you this is almost exatly like the much-loved MNOlGOne question: Is it first person like MNOLG or 3th person MNOLG 2?

It's first person but you get to see yourself when you are in scenes when talking to Vakama and Jaller. The game it really nicely done, very nostalgic and it's a lot like the original MNOG. Great job on this and hope to see new stuff soon!

Have to admit, this game is phenomenal. Excellent work, especially with the details of Jaller riding the boat, and the colors in the cutscenes. I also liked the nods to the original MNOG, and the challenges that Takua had to face to find each of the Turaga (Onewa in particular was quite a challenge). Good work, and look forward to future releases.

Very nice work, you clearly put a lot of time and effort into this. There is a ton to explore for what is only the first chapter, and I am curious to see how the plot will progress in further as the game goes on.

I am kind of picky about grammar, so I feel obligated to point out that I did notice a few grammatical errors in the text. For me, at least, it would enhance the overall impression of the game if those could be avoided in the future.

But really, aside from that, this project is very impressive in many respects, and I look forward to seeing how it develops. Again, nice work!

believe victims. its actually not that hard, and youd look kind of bad if you were to, say, side with an abuser because theyre your friend

wow. I am only to Ga-Koro right now, and I am blown away. it's stunning, how you captured it. at first I thought: "bridge is out. I suppose that means that the Creator hasn't gotten that far" but I was wrong. dude, you have simply blown my mind. you could have called it MNOG:III and I would have believed it. also, how far have you gotten in the game? I can't seem to find Maku..

Edited by Strackkorotus

Previously known as Aiwendil.

Yeah, when exactly does chapter 1 end, Because I don't want to waste time trying to solve a puzzle that hasn't been implemented yet, so a clear ending would be nice, if there isn't one already.

Visit www.BZPRPG.com to view my project of archiving BZPower's RPGs, and also access the BZPower Roleplaying Wiki

BZPRPG Profiles - Ghosts Of Bara Magna Profiles

Exo-Force RPG Profiles - Six Kingdoms: Apocalypse (Knichou, Berys, Arnex, The Taku, Exuze)

As I think I mention before, great game! My favorite part had to be the Hafu statue stand cut scene, and I loved all of the new sections you added. As for the people wondering, when you finish a video plays, and I think there is a to be continued, so it's pretty clear. :)

I cant download it, but it looks quite promising.

does the link not work for you?

Try pasting this into your browser: www.mediafire.com/?ecxwskk47pxbi8p

wow. I am only to Ga-Koro right now, and I am blown away. it's stunning, how you captured it. at first I thought: "bridge is out. I suppose that means that the Creator hasn't gotten that far" but I was wrong. dude, you have simply blown my mind. you could have called it MNOG:III and I would have believed it. also, how far have you gotten in the game? I can't seem to find Maku..

Glad you like it, I've sunken a lot of time into this project so to hear that other people are enjoying it makes it all worth while

Hint 1: Talk to the people around the village, they will give you hints.

Hidden Text:

Hint 2: She might not be in the village.

Answer: Go out the front gate of the village, turn so you are facing the gate, then pan all the way to the right and click to go further up the beach, click on the boat-markings on the beach to trigger a scene.

As I think I mention before, great game! My favorite part had to be the Hafu statue stand cut scene, and I loved all of the new sections you added. As for the people wondering, when you finish a video plays, and I think there is a to be continued, so it's pretty clear. :)

Thanks BrandonB9, yeah I really enjoyed making the Hafu cutscene.

Actually, when I first made that episode, I made the mistake of using female Po-Matorans, so I changed it to be more in line with the original story.

here is a link to the old one.

Yeah and don't worry everyone, you will know when Ch1 it ends, I have a small trailer-ish cutscene that you will see.

:)

Edited by Nuparu77

boxor_10.jpg

~Fan-Made Game~

Oh...

My...

Gahlok.

That is amazing! I haven't even finished it yet! Ok, I got done showing the message to the Turaga, now what do I do? Oh, and is it ok if I take screenshots of this game and use it for this?

EDIT: I tried to advertise your topic through my about me page, but I couldn't put the SWF file in your sig onto it because I don't know how to. How do I do that?

Edited by TNT-Vezon with an Olmak

new_sig_legacy_2.png

2002 is my favorite story year from the early days of Bionicle. I always thought that it would be really cool if the web episodes for that year were part of a MNOLG-style game. So I am very glad to discover that someone is actually making one!

I have not yet had the time to play through this release fully, but I really like what I see so far. I especially like how the dialogue cutscenes are done, with all the attention paid to the character movements. The flashbacks to past episodes are also cool.

I suggest having someone help out with grammar and spellchecking though, as that will help make the game look even better. And maybe make the starting Ta-Koro area's layout a little simpler. I was walking in and out of the hallway with rooms for quite a bit before I realized which path goes where (although that's probably due to the original MNOLG's Ta-Koro layout still being fresh in my mind, haha).

This must have taken a great deal of effort to make and it really shows. I look forward to playing more of this game, as well as future releases. Keep it up!

evil2.png

Thanks to Chunky! for the awesome banner.

EDIT: I tried to advertise your topic through my about me page, but I couldn't put the SWF file in your sig onto it because I don't know how to. How do I do that?

copy/paste this:

[media='550,100']http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Nuparu77/Avatars/swarm_banr1.swf[/media]

you will still need to make a link to this forum though, because the above code will only insert the flash banner.

Amazing game the Hafu scene was awesome, only why are the bohrok called the barak in the beginning of the game?

When I first started this project over two years ago I was really bad at spelling any of the Bionicle names. On top of that its hard to catch things that don't show up in spell-check.

I suggest having someone help out with grammar and spellchecking though, as that will help make the game look even better. And maybe make the starting Ta-Koro area's layout a little simpler. I was walking in and out of the hallway with rooms for quite a bit before I realized which path goes where (although that's probably due to the original MNOLG's Ta-Koro layout still being fresh in my mind, haha).

This must have taken a great deal of effort to make and it really shows. I look forward to playing more of this game, as well as future releases. Keep it up!

I apologize for the spelling/grammatical errors, I am usually decent at this, but the code for the speech bubbles is a mess. Image So as you can imagine, it's hard to pick up on spelling errors. I now have an excel file that extracts the text files, splits them up so I can run a spell check or make revisions, and re-codes them back into text files. but I did not have this while making Ch1.

Someone else mentioned that the Ta-Koro inn/apartment/rooms were a little confusing, so I will add this to the issue list and see what I can do.

I'm glad you enjoyed the game Tahraau! yeah it took me quite a bit of effort.. heh just the bug fixing stage is proving to be a larger task than I anticipated :P

Ibdiscovered two bugs:Small: The gnomon appears for half a sec when looking at the sundial.Mayor: The game crashes when handing Vakama the letter.

I will add these to the issue list so you will see when I fix these, thanks for reporting them. and please feel free to add anything else you find to the issue list directly, if you want to, as this helps me out by not having to search for any additional data I might need to fix the error myself. :)

I know you actually made this several years ago... have you done any work on a Chapter 2 since?

I started this around two and a half years ago, with no flash experience whatsoever, that is why it took me this long to remake all of the game engine stuff and then build a whole new chapter on top of that. I wasn't working on it constantly, college made me drop it for a while, but since I'm graduating in the spring I now have more free time to work on this. So unfortunately, I'm still in the middle of the planning/brainstorming/story-boarding stage for Ch2. but I should be able to complete this much faster than Ch1 because all the background work should be done.

Edited by Nuparu77

boxor_10.jpg

~Fan-Made Game~

The link you gave me isn't working, is something wrong with it?

Here is how I originally inserted it:

1. Click on the "Special BBCode" button. (should be right next to Font selection)

2. Select "Media"

3. In the Dimensions box enter: 550,100

4. In the URL box enter: www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Nuparu77/Avatars/swarm_banr1.swf

I added these instructions to my "About Me" page as well.

Another bug/glitch: when you enter some rooms in Ta-Koro at the beginning the game crashes. Like, the screen goes blank.

Thank you for finding this, Takua Dragonstar7. I fixed it, some of the rooms were actually missing from the game files.

boxor_10.jpg

~Fan-Made Game~

So unfortunately, I'm still in the middle of the planning/brainstorming/story-boarding stage for Ch2. but I should be able to complete this much faster than Ch1 because all the background work should be done.

so do you need help coming up with ideas for the game? if so, I might be able to help a bit

Here is how I originally inserted it:

1. Click on the "Special BBCode" button. (should be right next to Font selection)

2. Select "Media"

3. In the Dimensions box enter: 550,100

4. In the URL box enter: www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Nuparu77/Avatars/swarm_banr1.swf

I added these instructions to my "About Me" page as well.

OK, that worked. Thanks! So what do you do after all the Turaga have seen the letter?

new_sig_legacy_2.png

This is to good to be true. It's like an ancient dream come true. Fantastic job. Sure, there are ortography mistakes (though they aren't too jarring to ruin the fun) and some scenes don't reach the quality of those of Templar, but those had an entire studio behind while you are doing this on your own. Awesome! :) I'm beside myself. It's so much fun exploring the classic MNOG with a new touch. The surfing snowboarding mini game was a great idea. Keep it coming! :)-Gata signoff.png

Edited by Gatanui

- Gata

signoffLarge.png

Please don't use my avatar or signature without permission, thanks! ^_^

Here is how I originally inserted it:1. Click on the "Special BBCode" button. (should be right next to Font selection)2. Select "Media"3. In the Dimensions box enter: 550,1004. In the URL box enter: www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Nuparu77/Avatars/swarm_banr1.swfI added these instructions to my "About Me" page as well.
OK, that worked. Thanks! So what do you do after all the Turaga have seen the letter?

You go back to Vakama, I think

Here is how I originally inserted it:1. Click on the "Special BBCode" button. (should be right next to Font selection)2. Select "Media"3. In the Dimensions box enter: 550,1004. In the URL box enter: www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Nuparu77/Avatars/swarm_banr1.swfI added these instructions to my "About Me" page as well.

Actually, Jaller should appear right after walking out of the last Turaga's hut no matter of which Koro. Are you sure you didn't miss one?

-Gata signoff.png

- Gata

signoffLarge.png

Please don't use my avatar or signature without permission, thanks! ^_^

Surfing mini-game?

Sorry, I meant snowboarding.-Gata signoff.png
Yeah, that was really cool and inventive. *thumbs-up sign*
I strongly agree. That was really fun as well. Great job on that, Nuparu77.

Actually, Jaller should appear right after walking out of the last Turaga's hut no matter of which Koro. Are you sure you didn't miss one?

-Gata signoff.png

I kind of forgot since I hadn't played the game in a few days.

So I just played the whole thing through, and my first thought is pretty simple. You're a genius, and I love it.

There are a lot of errors in the dialogue, but I imagine they're easy to fix. There's also a weird mix of English and Matoran text which doesn't work too well. I also think it would be good if you had more of the stuff you originally had when you finish MNOLG. I guess the flute would make the first chapter a little too easy though...

I love some of the little touches though, Jaller standing at the front of the boat, the Guards on the North March, the Ta-Koro homes, the suvas, new areas to access, throwing in characters who never appeared in MNOLG who should have, like Kotu and Nuparu. Those things are perfection, and truly amazing.

As Gata put it, it's too good to be true.

- Taipu1.

tayis.png

HighFly Matoran

Showdown

BZPRPG Profiles

Have you seen my Blog? I understand if you haven't

-Gata signoff.png

I kind of forgot since I hadn't played the game in a few days.

Yeah, the last one I went to was Nuju and Jaller never showed up. Could that be a glitch?

Edited by TNT-Vezon with an Olmak

new_sig_legacy_2.png

I'm still in the middle of the planning/brainstorming/story-boarding stage for Ch2. but I should be able to complete this much faster than Ch1 because all the background work should be done.

So do you need help coming up with ideas for the game? if so, I might be able to help a bit.

I am willing to listen to any ideas you might have! As I mentioned in the first post even if your ideas are in the form of "It would be cool if......" post them. :)

I currently have a overall viewpoint of how I want the next chapter to flow and what I want to make sure to emphasize on. Most of the details about the first battle at Ta-Koro I have planned, but I'm still fuzzy on what will happen at the other villages. PM me if you want to keep your comments confidential so as to not spoil for anyone else possible plot elements.

Some questions that I've been searching for answers:

1. What happens between Pohatu showing up at Po-Koro and the Po-Matoran fleeing to Ga-Koro? Why and what factors forced them to flee / abandon Po-Koro? How did they escape without the swarms catching them? Where did they get the boats they use to escape?

2. What changes / obstacles / plot elements can I add to make it seem like the Bohrok are a real Threat? How can I make it feel like the player isn't just watching a little scuffle between the villages and the Bohrok, but a WAR!

3. As I begin to animate the Toa I decided that it would make their fights more realistic if I tried to define all of their fighting styles. Like Onua would be modeled after a Boxer or Wrestler, Pohatu would use Tae-kwon-do or Kick-Boxing, Tahu a Samurai due to using a single sword, Kopaka a Paladin or someone else who uses a shield.. like Captain America! :P Also, I would need to better define their character in a fight, like if they use strategy, humor, elemental powers, or tend to lean more on physical ability. Any thoughts on this would be helpful as well.

So I just played the whole thing through, and my first thought is pretty simple. You're a genius, and I love it. There's also a weird mix of English and Matoran text which doesn't work too well.

Thanks, Glad you enjoyed it Taipu1. :)

What do you mean by "a weird mix of English and Matoran"? are you referring to the ability to switch between the two?

Yeah, the last one I went to was Nuju and Jaller never showed up. Could that be a glitch?

There is a glitch and the cutscene where Jaller meets back up with you I believe is only working in Po-Koro and Onu-Koro, maybe Le-Koro too, so you will have to go to one of those places to activate it. This has been fixed and will be released with an update that I'm trying to put up maybe early next week sometime. So check the issue list and if there is anything that I'm missing or forgot, put it on SOON so that it will be included in this update. Thank you all for your help!

boxor_10.jpg

~Fan-Made Game~

Some questions that I've been searching for answers:

1. What happens between Pohatu showing up at Po-Koro and the Po-Matoran fleeing to Ga-Koro? Why and what factors forced them to flee / abandon Po-Koro? How did they escape without the swarms catching them? Where did they get the boats they use to escape?

2. What changes / obstacles / plot elements can I add to make it seem like the Bohrok are a real Threat? How can I make it feel like the player isn't just watching a little scuffle between the villages and the Bohrok, but a WAR!

3. As I begin to animate the Toa I decided that it would make their fights more realistic if I tried to define all of their fighting styles. Like Onua would be modeled after a Boxer or Wrestler, Pohatu would use Tae-kwon-do or Kick-Boxing, Tahu a Samurai due to using a single sword, Kopaka a Paladin or someone else who uses a shield.. like Captain America! :P Also, I would need to better define their character in a fight, like if they use strategy, humor, elemental powers, or tend to lean more on physical ability. Any thoughts on this would be helpful as well.

1.the matoran try to fight, but fail. the Bohrok swarms decimating Po-Koro. Po-matoran can fight while they run, I suppose. or the Bohrok were focused on destroying Po-Koro more than capturing matoran. if we're not going to follow cannon that much, what about the Village Turaga(forgot his name) seeing the bohrok in the distance, then decide that they can fight for a while, but need to flee. so Takua steps up to go get Ga-Koro boats.

2.having the player involved in it. if you're a viewer, it doesn't really matter but when you're in the heat of a battle....yeah.

3. well, I know Lewa fought with a sense of humor. remember Reidak, Defeater of Doors? anyway, Tahu would lean more on physical side, I think Gali would stage an ambush. Kopaka, working alone as he does, would ambush them and fight them 1 vs. however many there are. Pohatu, I think would again lean more on the physical side. so would Onua, I think.

1. There were so many Bohrok that the Po-Matoran had to flee, along with Onewa, and I suppose they already made the boats, maybe as backup.2. Make like a minigame, similar to he snowboarding one, and you have to throw bamboo disks at them. And make the Bohrok get in Takua's way once in a while, and he'll have to move at different speeds to avoid them.3. Maybe watch a little more of the animations, and observe the Toa's actions during fighting scenes.

So I just played the whole thing through, and my first thought is pretty simple. You're a genius, and I love it. There's also a weird mix of English and Matoran text which doesn't work too well.

Thanks, Glad you enjoyed it Taipu1. :)

What do you mean by "a weird mix of English and Matoran"? are you referring to the ability to switch between the two?

Was there a button that did that? My bad, must've pressed it accidentally on several occasions or something. All I remember is, the numbers above the Ta-Koro rooms were English, the tunnel labels were Matoran, and I saw both English and Matoran on the two stones in the Po-Wahi desert. But if there was a way of switching, must've done that accidentally...

Also I have an "It would be cool if" type idea. In the first Bohrok-Kal animation, there was a precarious looking bridge by a lavafall. That was still Ta-Koro how it was in MNOLG 1, and its a cool setting, so could be fitted in maybe?

Edited by Taipu1

- Taipu1.

tayis.png

HighFly Matoran

Showdown

BZPRPG Profiles

Have you seen my Blog? I understand if you haven't