But we in it shall be remembered-

We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;

For he to-day that sheds his blood with me

Shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile,

This day shall gentle his condition;

And gentlemen in dorm rooms now-a-bed

Shall think themselves accurs'd they were not here,

And hold their rahkhoods cheap whiles any speaks

That fought with us upon rahk phogen's day.

Makuta Teridax is being called MacTeddy

And there is a party going on in a gutted bathroom where the booze equivalent is caramel cake.

I LOVE THIS FORUM!

Essie: "Small talk subroutine complete. Were my useless vocalizations inane enough to bring you a sense of comfort?"

Profiles: http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/9733-bzprpg-profile-pages/?p=763471

SNIP

I get the feeling you haven't followed the Dasaka too closely. 

And they all think that Mata Nuians are savages? Really? They observe how the culture is different, but no one has called them barbaric. They've questioned the efficiency of the local enforcers, which given what they've seen is logical, but they've demonstrated outright awe over what the Toa can do.

I've followed them since their arrival on Mata Nui, which has been more than enough of a crash course in their culture for me to take an immediate disliking to them. Oh, and here's the quote I was looking for, which does indeed use the word "barbaric".

IC (Akimoto)

:Uh...:

Most people, upon seeing a foreign vessel, wouldn't take it upon themselves to board with without permission. Heck, how'd this guy even know the Dasaka were friendly to intruders? As it was, Aki didn't feel particularly threatened, just fascinated. These people obviously had nothing to do with Honour or Order; though powerful, they didn't seem to care much about presenting themselves or their society in a positive light. 

Thus far, it seemed most of the ordinary people were led by their emotions and whims. Though the crew had been warned to try to keep an open mind, Aki felt pretty justified in using the term barbaric to describe them. Their local military, these Marines, didn't seem to hold much sway over the population. Everyone did what they liked, without fear of reprimand or disgrace.

Aki's cheeks coloured; it was embarrassing watching these natives make fools of themselves. They were like a shipwreck you couldn't stop staring at.

Now, if one of the Dasaka were to use that term out loud, within earshot of the locals, then there's going to be a serious problem. 

Embers - A Bionicle Saga - Chapters/Review

Class Is Out - A Farewell To Corpus Rahkshi - Chapters/Review

BZPRPG Characters - Minnorak, Kain, T'harrak, Savis, Vazaria, Lash

BZPRPG Mercenary Group - The Outsiders - Description - History - Base

Ghosts Of Bara Magna - Ash Tribe - Precipere - Kehla, Somok, Skrall, Gayle, Avinus, Zha'ar

Aki is also the same individual who has treated the inhabitants she's met pretty well. And to be perfectly honest, Mata Nui hasn't exactly presented its best foot. Multiple people clambering aboard, or trying to clamber aboard a vessel without permission, someone attacking said vessel, none of which the Marines were able to easily control.

Compared to Kentoku, this is all chaotic and uncivilized behavior. Barbaric might be an extreme word, but the sentiment is valid, especially from an in-character perspective. I think you're lacking the very important context of how life on Kentoku usually is, if you've only been reading the Dasaka since they arrived in Ga-Wahi.

But, well, your opinion is your opinion. Even if it's pretty unfounded.

fK5oqYf.jpg

On this eve, the thirtieth anniversary of that first colony, many are left to wonder; is the world fast approaching a breaking point?

Breaking Point: An OTC Mecha RPG

I like playing the Mata Nuian citizen who doesn't appreciate being treated like an inferior by a bunch of delegates from another island entirely.

Ghosts Of Bara Magna - Ash Tribe - Precipere - Kehla, Somok, Skrall, Gayle, Avinus, Zha'ar

We'll, I mean, it makes sense. The dad aka, from what I gather have a super strict caste system, and are for all intents, feudal Japan(correct me if this is inaccurate) given this, and how colonial groups tend to think of natives, it's not much of a stretch for the mata nui people to be thought if as barbaric. We live in huts, for god sake!

I think you'll find that the two characters I have in Ga are my two nicest. They're quite possibly the only characters I have who are capable of politeness.

We'll, I mean, it makes sense. The dad aka, from what I gather have a super strict caste system, and are for all intents, feudal Japan(correct me if this is inaccurate) given this, and how colonial groups tend to think of natives, it's not much of a stretch for the mata nui people to be thought if as barbaric. We live in huts, for god sake!

Heian Japan.

Like I said, the individualism of Mata Nui versus the rigid honor and caste system is an interesting contrast. I mean, I like poking holes in 'honor' system and caste systems I always see as malevolent. Perhaps others feel similarly.

Heck yes! Honour just gets you killed.

Fight dirty and you win.

• Upvote 1

Honor doesn't mean stupid. It just means not being a [jerk]. It's no more stupid than a Matoran emphasizing Unity, or putting their stock in Destiny. 

Edit: Watch the language.

-Wind-

Edited by -Windrider-
  • Upvote 3

fK5oqYf.jpg

On this eve, the thirtieth anniversary of that first colony, many are left to wonder; is the world fast approaching a breaking point?

Not being a [jerk] doesn't make you honourable. And being honourable doesn't make someone not be a [jerk].

Edit: Watch the language.

-Wind-

Edited by -Windrider-
  • Upvote 1

Honourable doesn't mean moralistic, either.

Mata Nuian society allows freedom to choose one's own path instead of being constrained by the oppressive, regimented caste system the Dasaka seem to have.

Nato, I think you're missing the point. Honor doesn't get you killed because, at it's very core, maintaining one's own respectable status. Defending insults to the person, and defending the morality they've chosen. In Dasakan society, Honor is critical. In fact it is what permits them to maintain (up until the present) a mostly peaceful society in a place where there are deep-seated and long-held grudges.

But the point is that Honor Before Reason is not instantly in effect just because someone is honorable. Nor does fighting dirty mean you win. Fighting dirty makes you enemies, while being honorable can lead to bad choices. Neither is more inclined to survive than the other.

And yes, in many cases, honor involves upholding what one believes to be a correct sense of morals. Comes with the definition of honor, which is maintaining a respectful status. Hard to uphold what you believe to be a respectful status if you don't uphold your morals.

EDIT:

Again, Nato, you miss the entire point of the contrast. Mata Nui is individualistic, but it's individualistic to such a degree that murder is literally a daily occurrence, and the average citizen can roam about and enact vigilante justice without facing justice for their own actions. They can claim any justification they want, and act on their own beliefs. Mata Nui is chaos.

The Dasaka Empire discourages individualism, but its existence is peaceful. It trades autonomy for the ability to live without the fear of sudden, unearned death, provided you stay within the laws of that society. It has permitted a society with greater technology, culture, and knowledge than anything Mata Nui can offer.

The entire point is that neither one is right. Neither one is better. Individualism versus peace, the tradeoff inherent, and the fact that neither one can conclusively be called better.

Edited by Ninth Krayzikk
  • Upvote 4

fK5oqYf.jpg

And to be fair, you could say Kalyss was defending the honor of her brother. She had every right to be angry.

And in Dasakan society, that's a perfectly valid reason to be angry. They would consider her to be on the wrong end, given who instigated what, but no one would have any issue with the cause of her anger from a moral standpoint.

fK5oqYf.jpg

It's a society of murderhobos meeting a working society.

I wouldn't quite call the Dasaka murderhobos, but yeah, I think this sums it up fairly well.

• Upvote 1

It is not for us to decide the fate of angels.

Dominus Temporis, if you're out there, hit me up through one of my contacts.  I've been hoping to get back in touch for a long time now.  (Don't worry, I'm not gonna beg you to bring back MLWTB or something.  :P )

The way I see it, the Dasaka shouldn't be going on a diplomatic mission to Mata Nui and immediately start judging them based on their own high standards. And they shouldn't be expecting them to conform to their customs either. If it was a Mata-Nuian party arriving on Kentoku, that would be different.

Honestly, I'd expect a foreign delegation to be a little more open-minded and accepting of cultural differences.