Future Set Designs

Zippo

3. Masks in other colors. I'd like to see the mask of stone in black or the mask of fire in white. There should also be silver and bronze variations of the masks, just like the old days.

The "bronze variants" of the Toa Mata masks were always supposed to represent golden ones, and there aren't any colors anything like that on the current color palette, so I think it's unlikely that we'll see other masks like that in the future. Silver ones would be awesome though!

Hopefully the Toa won't reuse the same masks the next Winter wave. I would gladly give up different colored masks for new ones.

Edited by The Bone-Snatcher
  • Upvote 1

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

Hopefully the Toa won't reuse the same masks the next Winter wave. I would gladly give up different colored masks for new ones.

Personally, I'd rather if the Toa got recolored masks next year, because new mask molds would take a huge bite out of the budget for other new parts. And besides, if we want the Toa to remain recognizable, their masks can only change so much. Why waste money on a slightly different Mask of Fire when we could get fancy new armor instead?

In general, I'd rather see new BIONICLE parts that actually create new building opportunities than new parts that are purely cosmetic enhancements that perform the same exact function as the ones we have already. After a couple years of the same masks, THEN maybe we might be due for new ones.

• Upvote 3

Personally, I'd rather if the Toa got recolored masks next year, because new mask molds would take a huge bite out of the budget for other new parts. And besides, if we want the Toa to remain recognizable, their masks can only change so much. Why waste money on a slightly different Mask of Fire when we could get fancy new armor instead?

In general, I'd rather see new BIONICLE parts that actually create new building opportunities than new parts that are purely cosmetic enhancements that perform the same exact function as the ones we have already. After a couple years of the same masks, THEN maybe we might be due for new one. 

Nah. IF we get new masks, they don't have to be complete revamps like you think might happen. Just enough can be changed so the characters look fresh instead of copies of latter year. And I'm pretty sure Lego's gonna blow more than half of the part budget on the next winter wave anyways. 

Edited by The Bone-Snatcher

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

I know this won't happen, but I would like CCBS to be phased out into another system (much like HF used Bionicle parts for a year, then switched to CCBS full time). I find the armor shells and the limbs to be the most impossible things to use in MoCs unless I try really hard to incorporate them. That said, I don't despise CCBS, but for MoC-ing, it has limits.

Oh, and more eye colors, but now this topic sounds like a broken record....   :dazed:

move along.

nothing to see here.

Why Bionicle G2 budget seems so low ?

They totally blew half their budget making all those solid gold masks.

/joking. maybe. i'm not sure.

Speaking of gold masks, anyone know if Roa received hers yet? It would be cool to see some more photos of it.

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

Why Bionicle G2 budget seems so low ?

They totally blew half their budget making all those solid gold masks.

/joking. maybe. i'm not sure.

Haha, you could be right

Or maybe CCBS parts are really expensive to produce, and they still have other themes to work on. Then again, Lego is one of the biggest toy companies in the world, so who knows.

In general, I'd rather see new BIONICLE parts that actually create new building opportunities than new parts that are purely cosmetic enhancements that perform the same exact function as the ones we have already. After a couple years of the same masks, THEN maybe we might be due for new one.

Nah. IF we get new masks, they don't have to be complete revamps like you think might happen. Just enough can be changed so the characters look fresh instead of copies of latter year. And I'm pretty sure Lego's gonna blow more than half of the part budget on the next winter wave anyways.

I'm not terribly worried about what the masks would look like. I trust the LEGO Group to be smarter about mask redesigns than they used to be. But my point is that a new mold can cost upwards of $20,000 no matter WHAT it looks like. If we get six new mask molds in 2016, that's over $100,000 out of that year's budget for new parts. Even if they were the best-looking masks in the world, I think that kind of money might be better spent on new molds that actually create new building opportunities, like beams, shells, or connectors. Not just parts that change how the model's face looks.

• Upvote 3

We know that the masks can be a two-color blend (or at least four of them are) so maybe instead of new molds we'll get a new blend of colors.

Maybe their normal color with blended silver, like how their masks supposedly looked in the Bohrok Kal saga when the Toa lost their elemental powers.

Maybe next year's villain steals their powers, or at least the masks' powers.

Ooooh I like the sound of that.

Anyway, I hope to see further innovation with the functions and how they're built into the sets.  The summer sets already look like they're doing that, with Skull Basher and Skull Scorpion's functions being outside the knob-to-gear-to-arm category.  I hope at some point to see a function integrated into the body of a set, like how the Bohrok had their head-bashing function.  It seems like a decent possibility, given how the Lord of Skull Spider set's function is built, though that one still only affects the limbs.

OpAXNpl.jpg

In general, I'd rather see new BIONICLE parts that actually create new building opportunities than new parts that are purely cosmetic enhancements that perform the same exact function as the ones we have already. After a couple years of the same masks, THEN maybe we might be due for new ones.

Lego's so poor we can't get new masks per wave now? They could do that with G1. 6 winter, 6 summer, and 6 Matoran heads a year, plus all the set exclusive parts.

Hopefully they will introduce a lot more armour attachments. There is a lot of potential there but we've only seen like 3 different variations this year. I love this new element but I feel it's a tad-bit overused. 

-NotS

Personally, one of the big things I'm hoping for is the continued "overuse" of that element. I'd love to see some new colors for it, particularly black (which would be very versatile as a nice neutral color). I had hoped that our first villain wave would feature it in black, but alas, no such luck.

Oh yeah, I guess maybe that was my problem with it. I'd love to see it in regular colours in addition to the metallic ones.

-NotS

tahubanner.jpg

Lego's so poor we can't get new masks per wave now? They could do that with G1. 6 winter, 6 summer, and 6 Matoran heads a year, plus all the set exclusive parts.

It has nothing to do with being "poor" and everything to do with not being wasteful. If we get the same Toa again (which will most likely be the case), we'll want them to remain recognizable, which leaves two options—new, but slightly altered masks (which IS an option, and would be plenty acceptable so long as they had new functionality like the "visored" masks from the Hero Factory Brain Attack arc), or the same masks, perhaps in a new color. The latter option would allow the budget that WOULD have gone toward new masks to be used for other new elements. A lot of people have complained about the new Bionicle being too much like Hero Factory—using recolored masks instead of brand-new ones would allow for plenty more Bionicle-like armor pieces and weapons for the new wave.

What I DON'T want are masks which look completely different from the Toa's original masks, to the point of making the characters unrecognizable (like the Toa Mahri, for example), or ones that vaguely resemble the originals, but offer no new connection points (like the original Kanohi Nuva—functionally useless due to their story role making it so that no other character could wear them and the Toa themselves didn't need to, and less versatile due to their blobby, organic shapes having nothing in common with other parts).

• Upvote 1

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Here's something to consider - Hero Factory 2010 still used the old system without many new molds at all. Things really changed in 2011.

Not saying Bionicle will change the building system because LEGO made CCBS to last, but chances are we will have a lot more new molds next year. And if there isn't? I don't see the issue - more interesting to see old parts used effectively than to see a billion new molds designed for one purpose.

-NotS

• Upvote 2

tahubanner.jpg

Also, it's entirely possible to do new things with masks other than just releasing new molds. Blending the masks like Bfa suggested is one option, and one that this year's summer sets are using. Painting or printing the masks is another option — let's not forget that the Legends of Chima constraction sets all had unique head pieces that were both painted and pre-assembled, so it's not like painting or printing six different molds in a single wave of sets is completely outside the LEGO Group's means if they have the budget to devote to it.

• Upvote 1

I think they should bring back some of the weird, off-the-wall powers from G1 like Magnetism and Plasma, and then make sets of them.  I don't recall there being any real sets for those odd elements.  And it gives them an excuse to throw in more colors.

Aside from that I agree with a lot of what people are saying:  more colors, more masks, less metallic.  I hope they keep up the good work with how original the sets are right now (though I probably will be redoing whatever set I get... :P)

Avatar by Nicholas Anderson (NickonAquaMagna)

My blog: The Jaga's Nest

More colors, and more texture/details on the armor and pieces to harken back to that Bionicle look. 

And everyone here seems to say less gray/silver. And I'm good with that. But as is, the sets are superb and blew me away from what we all thought they would be

• Upvote 2

audio_narration_project_banner_wide.jpg

Bionicle: ANP aims to create narrated versions of all the Bionicle books, with voice actors for each character, and music taken from various media to enhance the story. Check here if you're interested in voicing a character, and here for the chapters that've already been released!

Formerly: Tahu Nuva 3.0

Looking for a Bionicle Beanie. Black one with the symbol on it. Contact me if you are willing to sell

I want a new body armour mold that's not two pieces, and if the budget of the theme is raised for next year I think we might get that.

Wait, are you saying you want a new single-piece body armor mold? Or one with more than two parts?

Personally I think the current method of armor with a shell and a shell detail is just fine. Mind you, I'd be open to a new torso shell or chest detail, particularly if they offered a dramatically different style and/or new connection points. But you don't need MORE parts to do that; just different ones.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

I want a new body armour mold that's not two pieces, and if the budget of the theme is raised for next year I think we might get that.

Wait, are you saying you want a new single-piece body armor mold? Or one with more than two parts?

Personally I think the current method of armor with a shell and a shell detail is just fine. Mind you, I'd be open to a new torso shell or chest detail, particularly if they offered a dramatically different style and/or new connection points. But you don't need MORE parts to do that; just different ones.

I think it means like the old Bionicle limbs that don't have any sort of covering and the shape itself is the design.

I think it means like the old Bionicle limbs that don't have any sort of covering and the shape itself is the design.

Like those Ben 10 parts?

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

I feel like that's a step backwards. It would reduce the customizability of the sets. I'd like if there more shells and armor details in more shapes. There's currently two full body armor plates, the one with the connector bars and the "classic" one, but I'd like to see more. Heck, I'd like to see more types of the other shells. And more details are always nice.

>tfw you have no idea what to put here

I feel like that's a step backwards. It would reduce the customizability of the sets. I'd like if there more shells and armor details in more shapes. There's currently two full body armor plates, the one with the connector bars and the "classic" one, but I'd like to see more. Heck, I'd like to see more types of the other shells. And more details are always nice.

Actually, although the new sets don't use it, there's also the Breakout torso shell, which they could probably bring back if they wanted (though since it was last used in 2012 who knows how likely that would be). There's also last year's Chima torso shells, but I very seriously doubt we'll ever see those used again... But of course, there's also the ribcage shell the summer villains use. There's the most variety in torso shells, actually.

AXKP5KC.png

Actually, although the new sets don't use it, there's also the Breakout torso shell, which they could probably bring back if they wanted (though since it was last used in 2012 who knows how likely that would be). There's also last year's Chima torso shells, but I very seriously doubt we'll ever see those used again... But of course, there's also the ribcage shell the summer villains use. There's the most variety in torso shells, actually.

Shows how much I know about modern constraction. I lost interest in Hero Factory around the time of Breakout, and I never had interest in the Chima constraction sets at all.

• Upvote 1

>tfw you have no idea what to put here

I have to agree with the eye colors one. I would love to see each set in a wave have a different eye color.

I want them to continue to have returning characters resemble their old selves. Gen 1 was very bad at this, but I hope that Gen 2 keeps it strong.

I want at least one new shell armor piece per wave.

I would like to have more variety of masks in the small sets.

I would also love to see some pieces that fix the CCBS problem of always being unarmored on one side. Kind of like what they did with Kopaka's legs, except that it would actually work (Maybe some new shells that will become flush with each other when put back to back).

Not really a set design thing (more of a marketing thing), but I would like to have sets that represent individual characters be given proper names. I don't really need proper names for animals, beasts, or sets that represent a single being out of an identical horde, but giving actual characters proper names should be a given.

Edited by J46 Nui

PSN ID: darthlego
Gamertag: SPARTAN J46
Steam name: jumpy46

Adding to my previous post as well as others a while back, I would LOOOVE to see Bionicle Dinosaurs! It fits the whole 'tribal' aura G2 seems to give off. 

• Upvote 3

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

*Sees notifications* "what kinda flame war have I started this time", In response to pretty much everyone I think it would look better if the toa's chest pieces were one piece instead of two, kinda like the HF breakout sets, and I'm not saying the current chest pieces are bad, I'm just saying I'd like it to change.  

• Upvote 1

It's time to move on.