Do You Want Bionicle Back?

Makuta_of_Oz

Do you want the sets back?  

143 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I enjoyed the theme from beginning to end, so I voted no. To enjoy it from beginning to end, after all, you have to accept that it ended. And in my opinion, it ended well. I think part of the reason it ended was an inescapable consequence of its nature as a toy line. It had a sprawling, epic storyline with lots of characters we came to know and love. But it was difficult for new fans joining in later on to appreciate the theme fully unless they got to know all the backstory for these characters and settings. And being a primarily a toy line rather than a book series or movie franchise, older story couldn't really be promoted by TLG when it was no longer effective at selling the sets still on store shelves. They did try, through the 2008 re-imagining of BIONICLEstory.com, to make older story years more accessible to newer fans. But that was no substitute for what had to be learned from the books and movies that had come previously. And again, BIONICLE was a toy line-- thus, the majority of fans would grow out of it, requiring new fans to appear to keep it successful. There were also two attempts-- 2006 and 2009-- to create new "jumping-on points" for fans, where the older story would just complement the new story rather than being necessary for understanding it. The comics started off with new numbers and the settings shifted dramatically. With that said, I don't think either of these attempted "reboots" went as intended. I know I wouldn't have liked the story of either of these years much at all if I didn't know they were the legacy of so much that had come before. I think Hero Factory and Ninjago could potentially have more staying power than BIONICLE, even though BIONICLE got off to a much better start than Hero Factory in terms of sales, becoming one of TLG's most successful product lines in 2002. If BIONICLE were to return, I do not think it could be such a rich and dense universe as it was before, since a more episodic story seems to be more reliable than BIONICLE's continuous saga. And in the form of a more episodic story I think BIONICLE would the epic scale and sense of grandness that made it so lovable in the first place.

I've gotta just agree with this

-Kongu Champion Gukko Rider

"Two, Four, One, Ten, Two, Four, One, Ten. Am I Transmitting, Is Anyone Listening..?"

LEGO Universe Fan - BIONICLE Fan from 2001 - Discovered BZP in 2007

This is such a broad question; obviously I think a lot of people would like BIONICLE back at a certain point, but at what point, for instance? Would it co-exist with Hero Factory? If the sets are going to use the same/similar building style, I'm going to say no, I don't want it back. Hero Factory really embodies the new style, and I don't think it would quite fit BIONICLE. But like I said, it's a really vague question, so I don't think the answers you get are going to express everything that you would need to know about what people think (I tend to call these "self gratification" polls, but I digress).

What I asked was if people wanted Bionicle back at all. I never thought of "Depends", but I guess "unsure" counts as such. People who wanted it back after a certain amount of time could say "yes", because they'd still want it back
It also depends on what form it's in. For example, I really don't want to see the current story picked back up and continued, but I would really like to see a reboot. There's probably a lot of "depends" people who haven't voted because of that.

3DS Friend Code: 0018-0767-4231

I enjoyed the theme from beginning to end, so I voted no. To enjoy it from beginning to end, after all, you have to accept that it ended. And in my opinion, it ended well. I think part of the reason it ended was an inescapable consequence of its nature as a toy line. It had a sprawling, epic storyline with lots of characters we came to know and love. But it was difficult for new fans joining in later on to appreciate the theme fully unless they got to know all the backstory for these characters and settings. And being a primarily a toy line rather than a book series or movie franchise, older story couldn't really be promoted by TLG when it was no longer effective at selling the sets still on store shelves. They did try, through the 2008 re-imagining of BIONICLEstory.com, to make older story years more accessible to newer fans. But that was no substitute for what had to be learned from the books and movies that had come previously. And again, BIONICLE was a toy line-- thus, the majority of fans would grow out of it, requiring new fans to appear to keep it successful. There were also two attempts-- 2006 and 2009-- to create new "jumping-on points" for fans, where the older story would just complement the new story rather than being necessary for understanding it. The comics started off with new numbers and the settings shifted dramatically. With that said, I don't think either of these attempted "reboots" went as intended. I know I wouldn't have liked the story of either of these years much at all if I didn't know they were the legacy of so much that had come before. I think Hero Factory and Ninjago could potentially have more staying power than BIONICLE, even though BIONICLE got off to a much better start than Hero Factory in terms of sales, becoming one of TLG's most successful product lines in 2002. If BIONICLE were to return, I do not think it could be such a rich and dense universe as it was before, since a more episodic story seems to be more reliable than BIONICLE's continuous saga. And in the form of a more episodic story I think BIONICLE would the epic scale and sense of grandness that made it so lovable in the first place.

I've gotta just agree with this
I agree with this as well.

[size=4][color=#FF0000][color=#000000]Formerly known as ROTF Devastator[/color][/color][/size]
Kittiez sigpet made by Mr Nebby
[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/vakama18/Stuff/shockwave_sig.jpg[/img][img]http://www.majhost.com/gallery/Nrdy/Kittiez/W1/tabby.png[/img]

Yes. Those who say no, those who think a replacement would be low quality have already forgotten... Now we treat Bionicle with so much seriousness, debating the story as if it was fact, being cruel to HF because it doesn't compare, being overly critical of sets (Okay, it was fun slamming Toa Mata Nui)... But don't you remember back when you cared about quantity, not quality in the aisles of TRU, back when you enjoyed every set to some extent, back when you sent your sets and MOCs on senseless, mismatched, imaginary adventures? Now that it's gone, we can only look backwards and judge it, only enjoying the remnants left behind. Wouldn't you like it to be the way it was before?

aouROFb.png

Yes. Those who say no, those who think a replacement would be low quality have already forgotten... Now we treat Bionicle with so much seriousness, debating the story as if it was fact, being cruel to HF because it doesn't compare, being overly critical of sets (Okay, it was fun slamming Toa Mata Nui)... But don't you remember back when you cared about quantity, not quality in the aisles of TRU, back when you enjoyed every set to some extent, back when you sent your sets and MOCs on senseless, mismatched, imaginary adventures? Now that it's gone, we can only look backwards and judge it, only enjoying the remnants left behind. Wouldn't you like it to be the way it was before?

So what you're saying is that if Bionicle comes back, every fan will be reverted back to having the mind of a 10 year old? - Tilius

I do, but i want lego to take their time on this, well for some selfish reasons(like so i can collect the sets i don't have yet), and so sets arn't very rushed like the STARS sets, and so lego can make a comaback of bionicle just about AS good as it first started.

Ghost_in_the_Shell_Sig_by_aose.jpg

"And where does the newborn go from here? The net is vast and infinite."

I don't understand your argument. Are you saying BIONICLE should change so it's more like what we loved as children? Or are you saying that fans should change to appreciate it on a less serious level? Either way I feel this is impractical. For me, one of the greatest strengths and greatest weaknesses of BIONICLE-- the thing that made it unique among LEGO themes-- was that it was constantly expanding in sets and story. TLG would be unfaithful to the franchise by erasing all the development and expansion that it went through between 2001 and 2010 (whether by actually retelling older stories or just by telling new stories that ignore all that rich detail). And I would be unfaithful to the franchise by erasing all the development and expansion that I went through as a fan during that same interim of time. Note also that I never began hating Hero Factory for replacing BIONICLE, nor did I ever enjoy taking an overly-critical position on BIONICLE or Hero Factory sets. I like to appreciate all sets-- and stories-- for the hard work and difficult decisions that go into their designs. This doesn't mean that I don't see flaws in sets I used to love-- I would just be ignorant if I did not. But the reasons I loved them don't go away just because newer sets lack some of the weaknesses seen in older set designs.

I voted no. In addition to the many shared opinions with my brother Aanchir, I think that the opportunities offered by Bionicle's return are far outweighed by the opportunities presented by new themes like Hero Factory and Ninjago. Bringing back Bionicle is nowhere near as appealing as starting fresh with a new story that can avoid many of its flaws.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

I most certainly do want it back, but with an (almost) fresh story. it should still contain elements from the original storyline, but kick it way forward or backward in time. Or have it in an alternate dimension. And for the sets...please please please have them totally different from the HF building system. Not that I dislike this system, but for it to look Bionicle, it's got to be different. Changing the armour aesthetics won't cut it, because the Hero Factory building system, in all due respect, reflects the plain, kiddish nature of the storyline (not a bad thing at all, I liked it for a time, still enjoyable). The story for the rebooted Bionicle should be simpler than what it was before, but more complex than Hero Factory, the design and aesthetics as it was before, but with the proportions that a lot of people seem to prefer, and the building system can be different. Phew. =)

Edited by Space: Ocean of Awe

"Baby, in the final analyses, love is power. That's where the power's at."

Tumblr

Twitter

Wattpad

I most certainly do want it back, but with an (almost) fresh story. it should still contain elements from the original storyline, but kick it way forward or backward in time. Or have it in an alternate dimension. And for the sets...please please please have them totally different from the HF building system. Not that I dislike this system, but for it to look Bionicle, it's got to be different. Changing the armour aesthetics won't cut it, because the Hero Factory building system, in all due respect, reflects the plain, kiddish nature of the storyline (not a bad thing at all, I liked it for a time, still enjoyable). The story for the rebooted Bionicle should be simpler than what it was before, but more complex than Hero Factory, the design and aesthetics as it was before, but with the proportions that a lot of people seem to prefer, and the building system can be different. Phew. =)

This.

If you use correct grammar in your posts (or try hard to), place this in your signature. Join Myst's campaign for correct grammar usage on BZPower!

Sure. I think Bionicle has a lot of potential left, and a return need not have any bearing on the former incarnation, as some seem to be assuming. What was will always have been -- the question is what might come. ^_^

Edited by bonesiii
  • Upvote 1

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

I'm a little conflicted. On one hand, I've been able to save lots of money (and not have to ask older relatives every Christmas and birthday) and avoid distractions from school because Bionicle was canceled. On the other hand, I feel that its denouement (ending) last year was a little premature (for me).What I'm trying to say is, now that I have a clear mind (I've been driven to near-insanity when I first heard the news), is that Lego may have made a wrong decision by ending the sets hastily. See the design resemblance of the Stars sets to HF 1.0?Personall, I'd be happy if it's only the story they'd revamp, but if they're gonna bring it back, I'd better be astounded the exact same way back in 2001.</opinion>

16N1K4 elsewhere:

Instagram (MOC-focused)

personal blog

While I kind of agree that the Hero Factory building system introduced this year definitely doesn't match BIONICLE's usual aesthetics, I would add that I wouldn't want the old building system back if BIONICLE returned. I think a revived BIONICLE theme, if not based on HF's building system, would probably have to be based on a new-and-improved building system if we wanted it to be on the same level as Hero Factory in terms of quality. And I wouldn't by any means feel that having a different building system would necessarily cause BIONICLE to have an entirely different style. You look at the Toa Inika and they're about as radically different from the Toa Mata as a Hero Factory figure would be. In BIONICLE's case, of course, there was a gradual progression between the earlier and later styles-- this year's change in the Hero Factory building system was far more of an abrupt change from what had come before, and if BIONICLE just started back up where the story left off in 2010, then transitioning to any new system might be a bit jarring for old fans. Old fans, though, aren't the reason BIONICLE would be brought back. If the dedication of old fans were enough to keep BIONICLE more profitable than Hero Factory, it would still be with us today. What the theme would need is a story and building system that could bring in new fans. What kind of building system this would be, I don't know-- naturally I like how basic the HF building system has become, but you are right that it might not work with the high-detail designs traditional for BIONICLE. Certainly any new building system ought to be at least as versatile as Hero Factory's, so just reverting to the standard from 2009 would not work to my satisfaction (although returning a bit more Technic connectivity might be possible in some way or another). As for the type of story that would be necessary, I can't even hazard a guess. I wouldn't want the story to become like Hero Factory's, because while I like HF's simpler story it lacks the amount of depth and complexity that made BIONICLE special. But a story that constantly expanded like BIONICLE's would become just as fatigued, possibly more quickly than before if it continued to build on the story that had been established by 2010. There would be a lot of uncertainty involved in trying to bring back BIONICLE without it falling into the same issues that led to its cancellation.

Yes, because not only would you get the sets, you'd also get everything that came with the sets, such as the books, comics and movies.

Memoirs of the Dead entry: The Unknown Turaga, a tale from the late Chronicler Kodan's journal.

Strakk's Best Friend, the story of a confusing yet somehow canon friendship.

Terrible Comics, a collection of comics that are terrible.

No. As I've always said, it had a good ten years. It shouldn't have anymore than that, because what would they make? If it was more along the lines of following the story of a completely alternate universe that is so different than the actual reality, that would be cool. New characters that somehow connect with the old ones in this alternate reality - it would be a more interesting turn of events. The old characters continuously recreated would be boring. =/

On the day the wall came down / They threw the locks onto the ground

And with glasses high / We raised a cry / For freedom had arrived

On the day the wall came down / The ship of fools had finally run aground

Promises lit up the night / Like paper doves in flight

I dreamed you had left my side / No warmth, not even pride remained

And even though you needed me / It was clear that I could not do a thing for you

Now life devalues day by day / As friends and neighbors turn away

And there's a change that even with regret / Cannot be undone

Now frontiers shift like desert sands / While nations wash their bloodied hands

Of loyalty, of history / In shades of grey

I woke to the sound of drums / The music played, the morning sun streamed in

I turned and I looked at you / And all but the bitter residues slipped away

slipped away...

I want to see some of the characters in set form, because in terms of names and already created personalities, I think LEGO has a lot to work with, I would love to see Helryx or Artahka as sets, but it is highly unprobable that LEGO takes this and uses it to continue BIONICLE. But if they aren't going to use the old parts, I think they would loose a lot of their original magic and robotic look.

If you want to spare some time and take a look to my colection then visit this link, if you dont want, well...you just lost a good opurtunity to compare collections and laugh at mine (or cry if you want).

qs102492.jpg

I believe that the system and look should stay somewhat intact. I also think that using characters like Helryx or some Turaga (While they were Toa) would be a good idea. It would feed older fans' cravings, while also letting new fans hop on.

If you have no life outside of the Internet, copy/paste this into your sig.

I don't know whether it should be revived because Bionicle seems better the older sets are and what will Lego build off of the ending saga.

A brand new story (now is the perfect time to do it) and new sets of both old and new characters.

If you use correct grammar in your posts (or try hard to), place this in your signature. Join Myst's campaign for correct grammar usage on BZPower!

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know whether it should be revived because Bionicle seems better the older sets are and what will Lego build off of the ending saga.

A brand new story (now is the perfect time to do it) and new sets of both old and new characters.
Having just jumped into the My Little Pony fandom, I've noticed an issue Hasbro had with that line that could become an issue with BIONICLE. For the most recent iteration of MLP, only one character could be carried over from the original toys because the trademarks on the names of the other "originals" had expired. I've never been an expert on copyright and trademark law, but apparently unlike copyrights, trademarks must be continually used, lest they expire and become available for any other company or individual to claim. In most jurisdictions, according to Wikipedia, the time until expiration for an inactive trademark is five years. So unless BIONICLE comes back by 2015, it could be impossible for old characters to return if it were revived at a later date.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Having just jumped into the My Little Pony fandom, I've noticed an issue Hasbro had with that line that could become an issue with BIONICLE. For the most recent iteration of MLP, only one character could be carried over from the original toys because the trademarks on the names of the other "originals" had expired. I've never been an expert on copyright and trademark law, but apparently unlike copyrights, trademarks must be continually used, lest they expire and become available for any other company or individual to claim. In most jurisdictions, according to Wikipedia, the time until expiration for an inactive trademark is five years. So unless BIONICLE comes back by 2015, it could be impossible for old characters to return if it were revived at a later date.
Lego couldn't try and reclaim those trademarks?

Does the trademark thing mean that every single name needs to be used over the next five years?Maybe Greg could do a series of one-shot stories that recapped what all the main characters were doing over the next few years, instead of another serial.

3DS Friend Code: 0018-0767-4231

I think the trademark thing is a fairly minor issue. The only way TLG couldn't reclaim trademarks on BIONICLE names is if another company registered a trademark for those names in the meantime. And frankly, I don't see that happening with many of BIONICLE's various obscure character names. And besides, if TLG is for some reason intent on bringing back an old character who they've lost the trademark for, then they can easily change the name like they did for so many 2001 characters who appeared in Mask of Light (Jaller, Hewkii, Pewku, etc).

• 2 weeks later...

The copyright going out in five years may actually be sort of a good thing. At that point, if the fans want to do something like, say, an iPhone app relating to Bionicle, they will be able to make the thing and sell it without fear of a crack team of lawyers from Billund. Also, it costs money to trademark something, so it would take money to trademark it again, which would reduce profits slightly, and we know how Lego loves their profits.