Bzprpg News And Discussion

Friar Tuck

you two faced little...I'll have you know I had a poignant image of a kindergartner writing "I love you" and then adding a d to the end of love, but it was too big. But that's how I feel. That's how I feel about you right now, Nuju.Just...-Teezy

Edited by Tyler Durden

SAY IT ONE MORE TIME 

TELL ME WHAT IS ON YOUR MIND

Coats over armour seem rather bulky.
Yes, they are.*Glances at a certain idealist Onu-Koroan Chosen One*They also seem rather able to function as containers of Trusty Sulov's Trusty Trail Mix. Edited by World's #1 Dad

[Profiles]

Cropped.png.611b6f973fd434d0847c1fdaa53ac881.png

Wisdom. Restraint. Emptiness. 

Coats over armour seem rather bulky.
Yes, they are.*Glances at Sulov*They also seem rather able to function as containers of Trusty Sulov's Trusty Trail Mix.
this guyhe's my new nujumy new-ju-Teezy

SAY IT ONE MORE TIME 

That sounds like way too much work for a head staffer with no formal training in physiology. To write, or even approve, such an anatomy from scratch would be something that'd only cause more disputes and more problems on this subject between players. It's far more practical and fair for the sake of the game to use human biological structure as a baseline for characters' bodies. I think I've said several times why this is my stance, but if you guys need me to go over it again, I can go find and copy/paste my points once again... Bottom line is that we're not going to invent a new anatomy for BIONICLE beings.
I know that. :P You guys work hard enough as it is, and I was mostly kidding, in any event. Using humans as a easy gauge of the characters abilities is fine, it's people treating the Bionicle world as if it's exactly like the real world that's bugs me. We all remember Kalama, after all.Some use of clothing is fine, of course. Cloaks and things like that are fine (Sayong that they aren't would be massively hypocritical on my part, two of my characters wear 'em.) , it's when we get into stuff like swimsuits and such that things start to get silly. Overcoats get a pass because they're cool, I guess, even if they do fall into the silly category. Edited by BenLuke-116

But I agree that Tyler's characters wearing coats and scarves is rather silly. :P
I agree with this wholeheartedly.

Visit www.BZPRPG.com to view my project of archiving BZPower's RPGs, and also access the BZPower Roleplaying Wiki

BZPRPG Profiles - Ghosts Of Bara Magna Profiles

Exo-Force RPG Profiles - Six Kingdoms: Apocalypse (Knichou, Berys, Arnex, The Taku, Exuze)

For the record this is a general progression of my BZPRPG pet peeves:Characters in real-world clothes < characters getting insta-items < cliched arcs/personalities < fielding requests for ludicrously overpowered things < the same GD arguments over and over < expies. Nothing peeves me better than a good expie. So Tyler, I still love you. I respect your right to wear coats. :)

test2.png

For the record this is a general progression of my BZPRPG pet peeves:Characters in real-world clothes < characters getting insta-items < cliched arcs/personalities < fielding requests for ludicrously overpowered things < the same GD arguments over and over < expies. Nothing peeves me better than a good expie.So Tyler, I still love you. I respect your right to wear coats. :)
Alright, then, I love you, too. But the scarves are out of bounds.I still remember that scarf you got in Paris, mister. Don't think for a second that I don't.-Teezy

SAY IT ONE MORE TIME 

I find that my interpretation of anatomy and physiology often depends on the character I'm playing. Jin and Cael, for example, I play as more organic than robot. Oreius, on the other hand, I see as very much your stereotypical MNOG Matoran. Greed and Avya fall somewhere in the middle.There's no wrong way to play, unless you play your characters as straight-up humans, in which case you may want to check out the lovely COT forum. :)

See, you're speaking subjectively, though. There are a lot of RPers who feel the same way as you, but at the same time, there are a lot of RPers who have always been drawn to the more social, human-like elements of Bionicle that weren't really touched on in the canon. There's a balance somewhere, but the point of having a balance is that both sides are pretty much equal, so...
Of course I'm subjective, silly. How could I else be annoyed by something? :)I get that there are social aspects to BIONICLE. I don't see why that has to equate to making the BIONICLE world a world of humans, when there is already plenty of room for both friendships and a degree of love. Macku and Hewkii was an obvious example back in the day, even if there would be no human progression to that relationship.
Even in canon. In the canon, they were created. But the Matoran didn't know how to do that, do they relied on higher brings to do it.If the Great Beings were smart, they would include a backup method for bringing new members if the species into being. Why not reproduction?
Because their solution for eating food normally still did not involve a full digestive system; and with the ind of beings we have here it doesn't really make sense to use biological reproduction when you could just pre-program their knowledge of how to build-your-own-Matoran.
Yay, the staff are back to normal!I still think that reproduction is over the line. I mean, they're cyborgs; 85% robot
Where are you pulling this number exactly?
GregF stated it back in the day. 15% organic material (like muscle), 85% metal and robotics.
Frankly, I do wish people would treat things with more of the alien atmosphere that make BIONICLE interesting. The fact that some otherwise excellent roleplayers (*cough*Tyler*cough*) seem to think Mata Nui is basically modern day Earth with Human wearing funny hats has been something that irks me for a while now. Coming up with a compulsive biotech anatomy actually doesn't sound so bad.
I don't care if people make up bio-tech biology or not, just so long as they stop referring to any decidedly human part of biology that we're not even sure if an MU inhabitant has. We know of lungs, muscle, energy absorption in the hands and mouth/throat as well as a brain of sorts (whether that is organic or not is not confirmed). Anything else, like livers or kidneys or intestines or even a stomach is entirely guesswork.
Ooh, are we listing pet peeves? :hyper:Mine is when someone adds something completely modern and non-tribal to the island, like plastic or lipstick or beer cans.
Yes. Paper, I can take, because that's not exactly hard to make and it's basically confirmed in canon as well with that scroll the Nuva found. Even ancient people could make some paper. But plastic, or excessive amounts of alcohol brands? Honestly, for a species that's not supposed to ingest much orally a lot of characters seem to go against their own physiology, at least as I perceive it. Cigarettes, however silly, are actually more realistic for them to have because at least they have lungs to draw the smoke into.And yes, yes, I should probably make a new blog post for this. :/

I don't like the idea of mainly organic Bionicle. Not just my TF expies, but any Bionicle. Constructman is right. Greg himself stated they are 85% mechanical, 15% organic. This is why I see them exactly as the sets. The ball and socket joints have no pistons, and that is why I see that as the organic bit. I really hate the humanized/wearing clothes/organic being in mech armor idea of Bionicle. They're sentient robots with tiny spots of organic scattered. Imagine if a leopard had everything inside mechanical aside from its digestive tract. (Not heart, since in the books they have the mechanical heartlight.) Everything outside was mechanical except for the spot. There's a non-set analogy.

Pk57sNJ.jpg

oh hi everyone I just thought I might get involved a bit =D

Scarves are cool. Coats are as well, but aren't very logical.
How so? Even if we assume the 85% robotic part, a coat can keep of wind, sand, and water. Would you like getting sand inside your mechanical parts, wearing them off much quicklier that way? No? Then it's technically logical to increase the protection of the exoskeleton by adding an extra layer.... and I'm perfectly fine with hats. Just saying. :D

20210512_strollin_banner.jpg

My art collection topic - updated! (21/09/2021)

oh hi everyone I just thought I might get involved a bit =D
Scarves are cool. Coats are as well, but aren't very logical.
How so? Even if we assume the 85% robotic part, a coat can keep of wind, sand, and water. Would you like getting sand inside your mechanical parts, wearing them off much quicklier that way? No? Then it's technically logical to increase the protection of the exoskeleton by adding an extra layer.... and I'm perfectly fine with hats. Just saying. :biggrin:
She gets it!-Teezy

SAY IT ONE MORE TIME 

I, for one, dislike humanized Bionicle characters. We know they have some sense of fashion (Hahli's purse), and I like giving certain characters an overcoat or a single article, like a bag, but fancy outfits and hats are right out. I tend to be more true to original material when it comes to physiology and fashion here for no treason other than sensibility. I mean, none of the Toa in the original story have been seen with clothes, let alone outfits. I envision characters I play with (my own and other's) so itakes more sense to see them as regularly garbed beings instead of gaudily adorned.

A hat or a cloak or a scarf or perhaps all of those at once are fine by me, but once characters start wearing suits for no real reason I get... confused. In this world, I imagine ornate and/or decorated armor would be more fashionable than clothing anyways, especially after Arthaka was described that way.

Well, for Zharuk, I gave him a whole tuxedo just to give him a Sicilian feel but he's an exception to most of my rules. Vhisoli is as well; she's a businesswoman. But usually, with the exception of many of my characters eating huge meals and getting drunk off of their butts, I'd prefer to keep it bionicleish in a sense. One time when tuck rp'd Joske walking around with no armor on, I was like "WTK? The armor is part of their bodies!" I don't really like scenes like thatOff-topic: Is the great sundial still open? And is that region of the great mine flooded?

Well, for Zharuk, I gave him a whole tuxedo just to give him a Sicilian feel but he's an exception to most of my rules. Vhisoli is as well; she's a businesswoman. But usually, with the exception of many of my characters eating huge meals and getting drunk off of their butts, I'd prefer to keep it bionicleish in a sense. One time when tuck rp'd Joske walking around with no armor on, I was like "WTK? The armor is part of their bodies!" I don't really like scenes like thatOff-topic: Is the great sundial still open? And is that region of the great mine flooded?
The majority of the great mine is either flooded or caved in. The lower levels are completely flooded, and the upper levels are caved in. Furthermore, the mine is closed off to anyone who isn't a builder or Ussalry member.I mean, you could try and sneak in but that's it. The Ussalry don't like people interfering in the rebuilding of a major piece of their economy.

fK5oqYf.jpg

On this eve, the thirtieth anniversary of that first colony, many are left to wonder; is the world fast approaching a breaking point?

Breaking Point: An OTC Mecha RPG

Y'know those anti-element generators that EW announced and Nuju allowed and I protested some time ago? Well, they are now installed at Pala-Koro.Quick spec sum-up:- Matoran-sized machines, embedded at even spacing inside the village's strengthened inner wall.- Each machine projects a field extending 500 meters out from the wall. The inside of the village is not covered.- The field, when active, makes elemental energy completely ineffective. In order to do this, the field runs off a generator in the center of the village, buried in a small chamber near the HQ. The existence of this chamber has not been revealed to anyone but Madrihk yet, though he'll be sharing it with his closest allies.- There are two parts to the generator: an electrical one, which is quite basic and not important; and a Vortixx-made device that runs off melted-down Kanohi. If it ever runs out after a few days of constant energy-suppressing (note that active use of powers against the field is required, and it's not obvious that there is a field at all or that it is weakening), someone will have to sacrifice a mask in order to refill it. The masks are melted into cylinders that are then inserted into the machine like fuel cells.- The field is not on yet. When it gets turned on, however, elemental energy is not usable in the area outside Pala-Koro. On the other hand, Kanohi and non-elemental powers still work fine.Hopefully this will make the village safer to random attack but still breachable to more organized strikes. Note that Ambages, Madrihk, the foreman and the Vortixx builders are currently the only ones who know of this system's existence. It is not replicable (even by them due to lack of parts), not really repairable, and to restate: it's not active yet.

Honestly, I only have three characters who wear any clothing, and those are armoured robes. So.Also: Lol, Great Sundial. Has anybody even tried to use that this year?
No, because it's all closed up, and nobody but Takua probably knows how to get in. =P Then again, I don't think Takua even used it, so nobody knows that it does.

Takua should have used it. The events in the MNOLG should be considered canon unless contradicted. So the sundial still leads down to the floaty golden mask, I think. Where was it stated that it closed again?
If I remember correctly, Takua only used it to get down into Mangaia after Gali told him to. Here, Takua never went down to Mangaia. According to one of Nuju's posts, after Takua's connection to Gali was destroyed, he and the other members of the Company left.But be free to correct me if I'm wrong about what went down in the MNOLG. It's been a while since I last played it. :P Edited by Toa Xemnas of Crystal

Takua should have used it. The events in the MNOLG should be considered canon unless contradicted. So the sundial still leads down to the floaty golden mask, I think. Where was it stated that it closed again?
If I remember correctly, Takua only used it to get down into Mangaia after Gali told him to. Here, Takua never went down to Mangaia. According to one of Nuju's posts, after Takua's connection to Gali was destroyed, he and the other members of the Company left.
Presto!Takua escaped Mangaia, and just left. After some helpful divine intervention. The Company escaped, wrote down the Prophecy and clues, and split up. Takua went into hiding.

fK5oqYf.jpg

On this eve, the thirtieth anniversary of that first colony, many are left to wonder; is the world fast approaching a breaking point?

Breaking Point: An OTC Mecha RPG