Bzprpg News And Discussion

Friar Tuck

Reichenbach? Sounds russianly german.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reichenbach_FallsA waterfall. In Switzerland.Also, JL, please stop trying to troll everyone by making clone/expy suggestions. It was never funny. Ever.- Vorex

lineupnewestest.png
[BZPRPG PROFILES]

Nikarra - Kaelynn - Ronan - Muir - Donal Aerus - Montague - Kira - KouraLearu - Alteora - Fuacht - Caana Nessen - Merrill

Reichenbach? Sounds russianly german.Sounds like stuff you find in....COD ZOMBIES.Which makes me think: What if we had a parasite that would infect biomass to form a sentient consciousness with the memory of all that has been infected?
It got tried in the Mark Bearer plot.-Tyler

SAY IT ONE MORE TIME 

TELL ME WHAT IS ON YOUR MIND

EDIT: The water, not the parasite. And if the Parasite WAS put in, it wouldn't really be an expy. It would be more of.....Character development tool.
A character development tool cleverly disguised as a clone?- Vorex

lineupnewestest.png
[BZPRPG PROFILES]

Nikarra - Kaelynn - Ronan - Muir - Donal Aerus - Montague - Kira - KouraLearu - Alteora - Fuacht - Caana Nessen - Merrill

For clarification for those who don't know, The Flood is a 'monster' from Doctor Who, a parasite which inhabits and manipulates water.Don't use it.You know what I think about DW expies. :P
I think that there's something else called the Flood too, but yeah, pretty sure this is the one he's referring to.We've had DW expies before, guys. Admittedly, I made a few Weeping Angel expies, but they now exist for a purpose which is not cloned. So, it's an expy; a trait from a character taken over.A clone is a perfect copy (eg, almost every character TNG ever made). An expy is inspired (eg, Lohkar).- Vorex

lineupnewestest.png
[BZPRPG PROFILES]

True, but most characters are inspired by characters from other media in one way or another. I think we use the term 'expy' with a meaning closer to 'clone'.
Personally, I think that that's because there are so many clones in this RPG. :P- Vorex

lineupnewestest.png
[BZPRPG PROFILES]

Perhaps XDBut according to your description, all my active characters (with the possible exception of Zadron) are expies :P
And there's no problem with that, as long as the characters are still original enough not to be considered clones.Massive amounts of characters in fiction are expies, which is another reason for only referring to clones as expies. I was just pointing out that mine were expies, not clones, which are far worse. :P- Vorex

lineupnewestest.png
[BZPRPG PROFILES]

Isn't Merror a sword-wielding Doctor expy?Oh, and the Flood I was referring to is the one in Halo.
And no, Merror is NOT an expy of the Doctor. Some of his character traits, survivor's guilt etc, are partially inspired by David Tennant's portrayal of the Doctor, but he's certainly not a clone.The point is, a lot of clones/expies are made for the sake of being clones/expies. That's what distinguishes a 'good' expy from a 'bad' expy. Don't make them just for the sake of copying other characters.

sig_panel_bzprpg.pngsig_panel_profiles.pngsig_panel_flickr.pngsig_panel_steam.pngsig_panel_n7.png

For clarification for those who don't know, The Flood is a 'monster' from Doctor Who, a parasite which inhabits and manipulates water.Don't use it.You know what I think about DW expies. :P
I think that there's something else called the Flood too, but yeah, pretty sure this is the one he's referring to.We've had DW expies before, guys. Admittedly, I made a few Weeping Angel expies, but they now exist for a purpose which is not cloned. So, it's an expy; a trait from a character taken over.A clone is a perfect copy (eg, almost every character TNG ever made). An expy is inspired (eg, Lohkar).- Vorex
No.An Expy is not a char inspired by another. If that were the case, I believe we could call Hiemalis and Sulov Expys because they were inspired by the White Walkers and Batman, respectively. A lot of characters are inspired by others (including many touted as 'good'), but not every character is an Expy.The difference is this: An Expy is a char mainly based off one other in a prior work of media (including rpgs/fics). An inspired char, in contrast, may share a few defining traits with other prior characters, but isn't definitively ripping off a single one. Ex: Characters A and B might share traits with prior Character C, but A has many traits unlike or not seen in C while B has most of C's bits in its own body (like appearance history & personality), so A might be inspired while B is an Expy. And B might also be a clone/carbon copy (90% of c's traits) if it really is that much like C.Makes sense? Edited by Norman Efiks

[Profiles]

Cropped.png.611b6f973fd434d0847c1fdaa53ac881.png

Wisdom. Restraint. Emptiness. 

No.An Expy is not a char inspired by another. If that were the case, I believe we could call Hiemalis and Sulov Expys because they were inspired by the White Walkers and Batman, respectively. A lot of characters are inspired by others (including many touted as 'good'), but not every character is an Expy.The difference is this: An Expy is a char mainly based off one other in a prior work of media (including rpgs/fics). An inspired char, in contrast, may share a few defining traits with other prior characters, but isn't definitively ripping off a single one. Ex: Characters A and B might share traits with prior Character C, but A has many traits unlike or not seen in C while B has most of C's bits in its own body (like appearance history & personality), so A might be inspired while B is an Expy. And B might also be a clone/carbon copy (90% of c's traits) if it really is that much like C.Makes sense?
Sorry, I wasn't entirely clear with my summary. I'm aware of how this works, I was just trying to oversimplify things there. :P- Vorex

lineupnewestest.png
[BZPRPG PROFILES]

Uh, I guess I technically have two expies right now. Or maybe they'd be "inspired?" Either way, two of the characters I've currently made (though I haven't actually added one to the profile pages yet...) are inspired by characters in another RP.Now on a different topic... how 'bout Echelon's stylish Infected Tryna, hm?Yes I'm very aware that's old news, just never got to discuss it myselff.

BZPRPG TIME, where you could have one post talk about dinner, and the next about lunch.

Time is beyond relative here.

There's no reason not to put lasers in the palms of planet-sized robots. In fact, if I had my own planet-sized robot, palm lasers would be one of my first upgrades.

BZPRPG Profiles [outdated]

May or may not be back from a multi-year hiatus. We'll see how this works out...

Copied straight from Mass Effect. Super stylish design, not brutish, rather, elegant; fitting for a man of his echelon.
Gentlemen, we have a new holder of the title 'Worst Pun Made In N&D. Ever.'- Vorex

lineupnewestest.png
[BZPRPG PROFILES]

NEW CHARACTER CLASSIFICATION SYSTEM GO.TYPE 1 EXPY-COMPLETE CLONE. Barely any change to make it fit. No-go. Nobody likes them, and there's very little opportunity to make Character Development, because you can't-or you don't want to-break them from their original shell. Or, at least, they're half impossible to break out of it. Just steer away from these. E.X. Aukati and Phantoms (At the very beginning. They're much, much better now-might have to say type 1.5, really).TYPE 2 EXPY-STILL RECOGNIZABLE. There are some changes, possibly a major one or two, but they are still very, very easily recognizable as expies for who they were developed off of. They have a better chance to break out from their character shell, to get some character development in, to become something more, but it's better not to risk it. I.E. Liara (AKA Laserbeak.)TYPE 3 EXPY-BASED OFF OF ____, NOT COMPLETELY CLONED. This is a character that, while yes, it is an expy, won't necessarily be quite as recognizable as one. They share many character traits in common with who they are based off of, but they also have traits to them all their own, and they're more like something as a starter, to help you get into the RPG and tell a story, or just a character to have general fun-not a strict clone, stuck to a character mould. These are okay to make. Examples: Hasil s'Nelan Karos-Jareel, Lohkar (don't deny it bro).TYPE 1 NON-EXPY-INSPIRED BY ____. This character isn't really an expy per say, but for the purposes of convenience, we shall include them in this list. A Type 1 is inspired by another character/group of characters, and can be similar, but is really a character all their own, evolving much easier than even a Type 3. Examples: Hiemalis, Gavarm.TYPE 2 NON-EXPY-COMPLETELY ORIGINAL. This is a character you make on your own. Yes, it's obvious that you'll take a bit of inspiration from other sources, that's just natural. But really, they aren't strictly inspired by anything. They're a blank slate, made right and ready for the story, without any possible character moulds to fit or aspire to. EX-Dorian Shaddix, Oreius.IMPORTANT PARTS IN CAPS FOR YOUR EASY READING CONVENIENCE.

Edited by The Otter

profiles i guess

i'm a south american giant otter now

Short for "Exported Character", an Expy is a character from one series who is unambiguously and deliberately based on a character in another, older series. A few minor traits — such as age and name — may change, but there's no doubt that they are almost one and the same. Often seen in different works by the same writer(s) or production team.

The definition of expy, taken from the site that spawned the term.

What it boils down to is simple. Merror, Lohkar, Sulov etc. are not expies. They are merely inspired by the original works. The things we all refer to as expies are extreme examples, but do fit the definition.

Edited by Krayzikk Bieber

fK5oqYf.jpg

On this eve, the thirtieth anniversary of that first colony, many are left to wonder; is the world fast approaching a breaking point?

Breaking Point: An OTC Mecha RPG

Waaaaait a second. What's going on in Ga-Koro?Reichenbach.The Final Problem....Whoever came up with this was reading too much Doyle.

Edited by Meta-Mind

BZPRPG TIME, where you could have one post talk about dinner, and the next about lunch.

Time is beyond relative here.

There's no reason not to put lasers in the palms of planet-sized robots. In fact, if I had my own planet-sized robot, palm lasers would be one of my first upgrades.

BZPRPG Profiles [outdated]

May or may not be back from a multi-year hiatus. We'll see how this works out...

TYPE 1 NON-EXPY-INSPIRED BY ____. This character isn't really an expy per say, but for the purposes of convenience, we shall include them in this list. A Type 4 is inspired by another character, and can be similar, but is really a character all their own, evolving much easier than even a Type 3. Examples: Hiemalis, Sulov.
...Just about. I just included Batman as one example, as really there's a lot of unconscious and conscious inspiration behind him (closer to dor than hiemalis i'd say), and he's not actually that high on the list of influences on Sulov. Bats has a lot to contend with before Sulov starts becoming rasping weirdly, don't worry. I looked at a lot of stuff when I made him and keep on doing so as he develops. And then I have my own plans.Sulov's pretty far from an Expy, yeah. Closest is Gavarm...Because he never gets to do anything ;_; Edited by Norman Efiks

[Profiles]

Cropped.png.611b6f973fd434d0847c1fdaa53ac881.png

Wisdom. Restraint. Emptiness. 

TYPE 2 NON-EXPY-COMPLETELY ORIGINAL. This is a character you make on your own. Yes, it's obvious that you'll take a bit of inspiration from other sources, that's just natural. But really, they aren't strictly inspired by anything. They're a blank slate, made right and ready for the story, without any possible character moulds to fit or aspire to. EX-Dorian Shaddix, Oreius.
Too my knowledge, isn't Dorian inspired by Oscar Wilde and the character in his book, Dorian Gray.That's not to say he isn't original, he's a Type-1 Non-Expy.

ryuki-kr-miho.jpg