Which Bionicle character do you think had the worst luck?

Recently Lewa was brought up as a character who got pummeled in terms of bad things happening, but in a contest for the "most unfortunate character of Bionicle" I don't think he would realistically make the top 10 even.

Consider Takua, who was mindwiped twice, merged with an unquestionably evil bad guy, Shadow leeched, dragged through multiple dimensions, saw his own people hurt...

Or perhaps the Barraki, who spent years in jail only to be mutated into monsters.

Or the Agori, who had to live in a desert with baterra, Scarabax, Bone Hunters, and Metus for 100,000 years. Or the GBs, who I believe suffered from guilt and shame for those years for all the things they had done...

Compared to all that, spending a few hours as a gelatinous blob is...a new experience.

(And that brings Tren Krom into the picture...)

But enough rambling from me. Who do you think got the proverbial end of destiny's shaft?

• Upvote 2

Hmmm.... That GB who was cursed by the Ignika, for one.

• Upvote 1

Kopaka, the coolest(Pun intended) Ko-Toa ever:

Comic_Blizzard_Blade_In_Use.png      

"If the fight had turned, Exann might be the one on the floor with Antidermis spurting out of him. This is how battle is. This is how life is." -Mar'jik, Corpus Rahkshi                                       

Consider Takua, who was mindwiped twice

I think it was three times, actually; the first being when he was placed in Metru Nui and made to believe he was a Ta-Matoran, although not sure if that was literally total (it would have to be pretty thorough, though).

I don't know that villains like the Barraki count. I mean, they chose to take on the Great Spirit himself; they had it coming. That's not really bad luck, that's choice/consequence methinks. The mutation part though, yeah, I guess, although it obviously helped them survive, so I always thought that was more a matter of their own vainness. They simultaneously chafed against being like animals and yet also used that to rule over armies of animals.

Anyways, this is the sort of thing it's very hard to really quantify. And if you don't count Lewa, that implies you're not just saying of the plot-spotlight characters or protagonists, which implies you might be opening it up to anybody, and then the answer is that we can't know, because we don't know every character who existed in Bionicle. :P There might be some random Matoran there who had all the worst luck in the entire universe and we never happened to hear of him. :shrugs: But of the ones we know about, I do agree there's a lot of candidates besides Lewa.

Tahu had a lot of similar things. Had to trick his own team to trap them in the canisters, for example. That's an oucher. Then had to give up Nuva power, etc. Although he ended up with all those Kraata powers so I guess you could say it balanced out. (But still... Kraata powers = creepy lol.)

Mata Nui is probably a good candidate. :P And of course, Matoro and the other Toa from Jovan's team who had to totally sacrifice themselves.

Edited by bonesiii
  • Upvote 3

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

Tiribomba.

I don't care if nothing canon ever really happened to you, you're the least lucky dude in the entire saga because your name is freakin' Tiribomba.

We all remember him because of his name! That's more than can be said about other random Matoran NPCs. :lol:

I've seen the Phantoka Makuta as rather unlucky. First they are assigned to what they don't yet know is a suicide mission, and then one day suddenly a Toa falls out of nowhere and makes them permanently blind. Followed shortly by their real mission objective arriving, so they're forced to use Matoran as sight aids. Not long after, they get vaporized by an energy storm. Half of it is cause-and-effect from being the villains, but getting blinded by mere chance still sucks.

The Shadow Takanuva from other dimensions were also unlucky, as I believe from their point of view they'd one day get ambushed, light drained, and put in stasis. One day they get free, but at least for some of them they soon after get into a fight with polarity-flipped Teridax and smashed to death.

• Upvote 2

I wonder if vezok would be up there? we all know how much Greg loves deadpool vezon, and the result was vezok becoming a dumb brute. Vezok was pretty awesome pre splitting, with brains and brawn, but the brains were taken right out of him. Also you could add the rest of the bad luck the piraka had, like being turned into snakes and fusing into the gold being

• Upvote 2

Tu2d6W7.jpg

While I don't believe he's as unlucky as Lewa, Matau does have his fair share of problems.

Crashing a test vehicle, becoming a Toa only to be considered an enemy of the state, forced to deal with the Matoran under he and his team's protection suffering in the capsules, gets lost in Le-wahi, something about crashing both Lhikans, gets turned into an ugly monster, et cetera, gets Krana-fied.

Le-Toa always have the worst luck.

Nidhiki I'd think. To save his own skin he tries to betray the Toa, which fails, and Lhikan banishes him. He tries to leave the Dark Hunters by striking a deal with Roodaka (a horrible mistake really) and gets mutated. He then is assigned to capture Lhikan, and help Teridax take over Metru Nui, and ends up being absorbed by Teridax. Talk about life kicking a guy when he's already down lol :wacko:

• Upvote 1

Animation_Mangaia.png.e38a5644c8a08bfd4c488514025b5017.png

Formerly Iron_Man5

Teridax, he planned everything so well, yet he was set back twice by being crushed by a door, and then a chunk of moon.

I find it hard to argue against this. I mean, Teridax got hit by a passing moon; what are the chances of that happening? :P

"What we see depends mainly on what we look for" -John Lubbock

Teridax, he planned everything so well, yet he was set back twice by being crushed by a door, and then a chunk of moon.

I find it hard to argue against this. I mean, Teridax got hit by a passing moon; what are the chances of that happening? :P

Well, Mata Nui actually pushed him into the path of said moon, so technically it wasn't "luck" :)

• Upvote 2

Animation_Mangaia.png.e38a5644c8a08bfd4c488514025b5017.png

Formerly Iron_Man5

Karzahni didn't have the best of luck IMO. He lost the Mask of Creation to Artakha, he failed to restore the Matoran sent to him for repair, and when he followed the Inika to Mahri Nui, Teridax tore his mind to shreds. And then, after he was captured by the OoMN and sent to the Pit, he was broken out of his prison on Spherus Magna only to be killed by Velika. Not the luckiest being ever.

• Upvote 4

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

Well, Mata Nui actually pushed him into the path of said moon, so technically it wasn't "luck" :)

Methinks they're talking about his tendency for his defeats to involve heavy rock of some sort. :P And they forgot one too -- the Shadow-Hand-rocksmash in LoMN. Happened to him at least three times. It kinda does count as "luck" that they all involve a rock (the heavy door was made of rock FTR).

Edited by bonesiii
  • Upvote 2

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

While I don't believe he's as unlucky as Lewa, Matau does have his fair share of problems.

Crashing a test vehicle, becoming a Toa only to be considered an enemy of the state, forced to deal with the Matoran under he and his team's protection suffering in the capsules, gets lost in Le-wahi, something about crashing both Lhikans, gets turned into an ugly monster, et cetera, gets Krana-fied.

Le-Toa always have the worst luck.

You forgot that he also crashed into a huge Turaga Dume poster in the movie when he tested his Aero Slicer's flight abilities..and when he along with the majority of Le-Koro were kidnapped by Nui Rama and held captive.

Yeah Matau is very unlucky.

qs3135.jpg

Methinks they're talking about his tendency for his defeats to involve heavy rock of some sort. :P And they forgot one too -- the Shadow-Hand-rocksmash in LoMN. Happened to him at least three times. It kinda does count as "luck" that they all involve a rock (the heavy door was made of rock FTR).

"Rock. Why did it have to be rock?"

And each piece of rock keeps getting progressively bigger. First it was a pillar, then a giant door, then a landslide, then a moon. An interesting and actually rather funny trend. The landslide (from Mahri Nui), though, probably wasn't really a setback. Just a minor inconvenience.

• Upvote 3
"What we see depends mainly on what we look for" -John Lubbock

Right, forgot about the landslide lol. Having reviewed that part recently (but somehow not connected it to the rock trend lol), I think it does count as a setback, rather than a planned defeat, but only a minor one.

Worth mentioning, though, that when you're nearly invincincible -- when there's only a handful of ways to "defeat" you -- it does make sense that one simple way would get repeated over and over. :P The other main alternative is burning the antidermis which would break the Toa Code. Although that (the Toa Code part) really only applies to the first one, I suppose.

• Upvote 2

Or perhaps the Barraki, who spent years in jail only to be mutated into monsters.

Thing about the Barraki is, they got their happy ending -- the Order released them from the Pit, they gathered some new rabble, and Mata Nui cured their mutations. By villain standards, they got away scot-free, with the unfortunate exception of Carapar. Even Takadox got off fairly well -- his fellow Barraki have no idea where he is, making it very difficult for them to hunt him down and punish him. So to call them unlucky is, I think, a gross failure to consider the big picture of their part in the saga.

• Upvote 3
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
-- Harlan Ellison

Thing about the Barraki is, they got their happy ending -- the Order released them from the Pit, they gathered some new rabble, and Mata Nui cured their mutations. By villain standards, they got away scot-free, with the unfortunate exception of Carapar. Even Takadox got off fairly well -- his fellow Barraki have no idea where he is, making it very difficult for them to hunt him down and punish him. So to call them unlucky is, I think, a gross failure to consider the big picture of their part in the saga.

Alright, at this point I will concede that the Barraki is a bad example of bad luck. :)

I'm not sure that Teridax getting crushed by rocks is an example of bad luck, it's just what happened to be there [Edit: that sounds like circular reasoning, so maybe it is luck. It certainly wasn't planned...:shrugs:]

Also since this topic was made to try to debunk the "Toa of Air always have the worst luck" idea, I think what Angel said in the quote above applies to them as well. With the possible exception of Lewa, most actually got their happy(ish) ending in the end. :shrugs:

Edited by fishers64

Reysa. For those of you who haven't read City of the Lost, Reysa was an Onu-Matoran living in Mahri Nui as a Hydruka sheperd. He was impatient, and the Hydruka were taking a bit to do their jobs. A dangerous period of the day was nearing, I believe, and Reysa stayed out too late and got killed by a tentacled beast. Apart from the fact that his death was basically caused by dawdling Hydruka, he only appears in one book, his death does not impact the overall story, nobody mentions his death or they probably forgot about him, he has no trace of official art(possibly not even on his mask), he only has at least one known MOC, and practically no one remembers him. I actually had to look him up because I forgot his name. So yeah, he's just the nobody who died probably just to display what happens if Matoran stay out past curfew. He's the guinea pig with no other use or purpose.

Edited by Sybre the Mental
  • Upvote 4

mindeth the cobwebs

Now, the Piraka -- there's some bad luck, right there. Ouch.

The worst part is that I miss them more than any other character in the saga. They were so funny. :(

• Upvote 4
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
-- Harlan Ellison

I'm surprised nobody pointed out Sahmad. His entire people, including his girlfriend, all die horrible deaths and he ends up ostracized by association, his only friend being a crazed fellow survivor.

• Upvote 1

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

Vezon. Captured by Zyglak, had to go on a mission to find MISERIX, was supposed to "die horribly without being missed", managed to merge with every single mask he ever touched (I think), and was forced to try and free a mad GB. And he still managed to keep a sense of humour!

• Upvote 1

VBWj75sh.png

Tren Krom was by far the character mot abused by the story.

Created by the Great Beings to serve the Matoran universe by maintaining the laws of physics, later betrayed and imprisoned by those same great beings for the crime of being a possible threat to Mata Nui (because of the powers that THEY gave him).

He was so hideous that he caused insanity in all who saw him, leaving him with no friends or confidants except possibly Velika, a Great Being. Even so, Velika didn't tell him much, as he was forced to invade the minds of his visitors for current events (as he did to Mutran and Brutaka's team).

Artakha later recruited him to the war against Teridax, but re-imprisoned him after his work was done, telling him to "have faith" that Mata Nui would free him (he could just have easily teleported back to his island and crafted a body for him).

He was later freed by his "friend," only for Velika to stab him in the back in full view of the Red Star, something that could revive anyone from the Matoran Universe besides him, and to Tren Krom, was the symbol of those who originally betrayed him.

• Upvote 3

The canister builder matoran from Karzhani. Can you imagine? You're living the life, building Toa canisters for the greatest heros every, then you get a little banged up, get sent for repairs... and never come back. And it totally sucks. Poor guy :P

• Upvote 4

pomegranate-banner-sm.png .

marva This guy finally gets his dream job and then everything blows up in his face. also just as he had finally found a place where he was happy his pets went and killed him. I dont know if the red star was nice but i cant imagine it would be great there. People wern't supposed to stay there. It would be like getting stuck in a bus station for a thousand years.

wearewaiting.gif

As long as there is one bionicle fan out there there is still hope for bionicle to return. Keep faith. Bionicle is amazing.