Rumor: Bionicle's return in 2015

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: a continuation is entirely doable. 

Personally, I've been waiting five years to find out what happens next with all of the new Spherus Magna storylines, and if they did away with all of that in favour of a reboot or retelling, my disappointment would know no bounds...

The writers can easily reintroduce old characters without having to go into all of their backstory, in the same way that the Star Wars EU describing every planet character and species isn't required to understand the films, the 10,000 years of background for every character in Bionicle isn't truly needed to make new fans understand the old characters. I don't fully know half of it myself, and I can still make perfect sense of the story as a whole. 

The Spherus Magna saga is an entirely new beginning. Old stories and allegiances are largely irrelevant now, and the entire Mata Nui/Makuta dichotomy is in the past as well, since all of the Makuta are gone (with the possible exception of Miserix, since we don't know if he got blown up or not).

I think that the leftover material, story threads and characters from the original storyline is enough to fuel future story arcs for several years without the need to introduce even more characters in a retelling or distant future reboot or whatever. 

Thus I still firmly believe that Bionicle 2015 should, and likely will, be a continuation. 

Would you be satisfied if the serials were continued and the main story was a timeskip or total reboot?

toakopaka.png
Credit goes to Linus Van Pelt (Formerly known as Cherixon) and Spectral Avohkii Enterprises

My Memoirs of the Dead entry, Reflectons:

http://www.bzpower.com/board/index.php?showtopic=7351

Maaaassssskkkkkssss for sure :D They're the best collectibles, 'cause you can MOC with em and make a unique identities for your characters 'cause their masks aren't the same shape and color as already released full sets. Collectible ammo was really neat too, though, especially Kanoka and Zamors, 'cause having all those different colors and designs is really neat and again gives variety to building.

If the collectibles just rely on, like, gathering codes off stuff like the Rhotuka... that's just about the most disappointing thing the world. 

I really don't think the new Bionicle stuff is gonna have any dedicated collectible feature o it, but I think they might pull out something like the 2010 Stars sets' Golden Armor, where you can collect stuff that you know is included in other sets to have one cool thing when you get all the rest. I'm half and half on that, 'cause while it's super cool to be able to have a new set of golden armor for a character and know how to get it all, buying full sets costs money and also the random aspect of blind collecting is what's the most fun bout opening something new :)

They could sell it in little packages tho, just like they did it in 2001~2003. Do you happen to know the approximate price of these packages when they launched ? I never really got any of them.

• Upvote 2

Personally, I'd like some of masks we haven't seen in sets as part of the collectibles. Things like Artakha's mask of Creation and Tuyet's Mask of Intangibility. Collectible weapons would be nice too, or differently textured armour that can be swapped for what characters are already wearing. Instead of having something like the Golden armour, where there was a piece that came with each set in the line, they could sell different armour variants or body templates as collectibles, for maximum customisation. 

Someone mentioned having a third line of Bohrok, but I don't think they're too integral to the storyline anymore. The Baterra, on the other hand... well, that's a whole different story... depending on whether it's a continuation or not...

I think that the leftover material, story threads and characters from the original storyline is enough to fuel future story arcs for several years without the need to introduce even more characters in a retelling or distant future reboot or whatever. 

Thus I still firmly believe that Bionicle 2015 should, and likely will, be a continuation. 

Would you be satisfied if the serials were continued and the main story was a timeskip or total reboot?

Doesn't that defeat the entire purpose? Or do you mean having a time skip for the new fan's sake and continuing the serials to fill in the missed time for the old fans? 

• Upvote 2

Embers - A Bionicle Saga - Chapters/Review

Class Is Out - A Farewell To Corpus Rahkshi - Chapters/Review

BZPRPG Characters - Minnorak, Kain, T'harrak, Savis, Vazaria, Lash

BZPRPG Mercenary Group - The Outsiders - Description - History - Base

Ghosts Of Bara Magna - Ash Tribe - Precipere - Kehla, Somok, Skrall, Gayle, Avinus, Zha'ar

Doesn't that defeat the entire purpose? Or do you mean having a time skip for the new fan's sake and continuing the serials to fill in the missed time for the old fans? 

Yeah, that's pretty much what I meant. The main story will be a timeskip so far in the future there are few ties to the old story or is juts a total reboot, while LEGO allows Greg to continue the serials so that older fans will know what happened in the immediate aftermath of the Battle of Bara Magna.

• Upvote 2

toakopaka.png
Credit goes to Linus Van Pelt (Formerly known as Cherixon) and Spectral Avohkii Enterprises

My Memoirs of the Dead entry, Reflectons:

http://www.bzpower.com/board/index.php?showtopic=7351

Personally, I've been waiting five years to find out what happens next with all of the new Spherus Magna storylines, and if they did away with all of that in favour of a reboot or retelling, my disappointment would know no bounds...

The writers can easily reintroduce old characters without having to go into all of their backstory, in the same way that the Star Wars EU describing every planet character and species isn't required to understand the films, the 10,000 years of background for every character in Bionicle isn't truly needed to make new fans understand the old characters. I don't fully know half of it myself, and I can still make perfect sense of the story as a whole. 

The Spherus Magna saga is an entirely new beginning. Old stories and allegiances are largely irrelevant now, and the entire Mata Nui/Makuta dichotomy is in the past as well, since all of the Makuta are gone (with the possible exception of Miserix, since we don't know if he got blown up or not).

I hope you are prepared for disappointment. Based on things Greg has said in the past, and the difficult story being a major reason for the line's cancellation and stagnation over the last few years, and of course based on things we can't talk about because of the leaked policy, I am going to go ahead and guarantee you that it'll be a hard reboot. No way it continues from the past story. Not a chance.

• Upvote 2

31399314352_5890b9b8a3_o.jpg

I hope you are prepared for disappointment. Based on things Greg has said in the past, and the difficult story being a major reason for the line's cancellation and stagnation over the last few years, and of course based on things we can't talk about because of the leaked policy, I am going to go ahead and guarantee you that it'll be a hard reboot. No way it continues from the past story. Not a chance.

I've learnt to live with disappointment. It started about... four years ago, when a certain theme came to an abrupt end, and it hasn't really stopped since then. One more bit of disappointment is hardly going to kill me. 

But I don't understand what you mean about the leaks. I haven't seen anything definitive in them that confirms what the story will or won't be like. Unless you know something I don't, there's no evidence either way to confirm what the story will be like for Bionicle's return. Not yet, at least. 

• Upvote 2

Ghosts Of Bara Magna - Ash Tribe - Precipere - Kehla, Somok, Skrall, Gayle, Avinus, Zha'ar

Personally, I'd like some of masks we haven't seen in sets as part of the collectibles. Things like Artakha's mask of Creation and Tuyet's Mask of Intangibility. Collectible weapons would be nice too, or differently textured armour that can be swapped for what characters are already wearing. Instead of having something like the Golden armour, where there was a piece that came with each set in the line, they could sell different armour variants or body templates as collectibles, for maximum customisation. 

Someone mentioned having a third line of Bohrok, but I don't think they're too integral to the storyline anymore. The Baterra, on the other hand... well, that's a whole different story... depending on whether it's a continuation or not...

I'm pretty sure the "third line of Bohrok" thing was a joke.

Maaaassssskkkkkssss for sure :D They're the best collectibles, 'cause you can MOC with em and make a unique identities for your characters 'cause their masks aren't the same shape and color as already released full sets. Collectible ammo was really neat too, though, especially Kanoka and Zamors, 'cause having all those different colors and designs is really neat and again gives variety to building.

If the collectibles just rely on, like, gathering codes off stuff like the Rhotuka... that's just about the most disappointing thing the world. 

I really don't think the new Bionicle stuff is gonna have any dedicated collectible feature o it, but I think they might pull out something like the 2010 Stars sets' Golden Armor, where you can collect stuff that you know is included in other sets to have one cool thing when you get all the rest. I'm half and half on that, 'cause while it's super cool to be able to have a new set of golden armor for a character and know how to get it all, buying full sets costs money and also the random aspect of blind collecting is what's the most fun bout opening something new :)

They could sell it in little packages tho, just like they did it in 2001~2003. Do you happen to know the approximate price of these packages when they launched ? I never really got any of them.

I think the original mask packs were around 2.99 USD at the time. I know the price was mentioned in that old BZP article about the grand prize for the Bionicle website contest.

Nato's entire point is that a continuation could be done while still shedding a lot of the baggage though. All they need to do is make the new story be entirely disconnected from the previous one, have mostly new characters, and skip forward in time so that they can say that loose threads got tied up eventually for the older fans. Boom, you have a more accessible story while not throwing away ten years of backstory that, while unnecessary for new fans to understand the new story, means that it's still somewhat relevant for people who were already familiar with it.
andromeda_m31_slideshow.jpg

That's more or less what I was trying to say, yeah. The backstory isn't hugely important, despite what everyone seems to think. For example, you don't need to understand the old generation of Doctor Who to make sense of the new series, despite the reintroduction of old villains like Davros and The Master. We're given enough info to make sense of the present story without needing to go into a huge amount of backstory.

In the same way, Bionicle's return could easily incorporate all of the old characters and pretty much continue where it left off without having to go into the backstory of all of them. It's isn't required to make sense of the story. It helps, and provides more depth to the characters and their stories, but it isn't needed

But if done right, I don't think a massive time skip would be necessary either. 

• Upvote 1

I've learnt to live with disappointment. It started about... four years ago, when a certain theme came to an abrupt end, and it hasn't really stopped since then. One more bit of disappointment is hardly going to kill me. 

But I don't understand what you mean about the leaks. I haven't seen anything definitive in them that confirms what the story will or won't be like. Unless you know something I don't, there's no evidence either way to confirm what the story will be like for Bionicle's return. Not yet, at least. 

Greg has essentially flat out denied the possibility of a BIONICLE return being a continuation several times, in fact. That's evidence enough for me, the obvious evidence from the leaks aside.

As much as I'd love to see the loose ends of the serials tied up, I'm glad it will be a reboot, because I don't see how BIONICLE could possibly do well by picking up a storyline that, near the end, went off into far too many directions, and was too complicated to draw in new fans. There is a very clear reason why Hero Factory doesn't follow a strict chronological storyline. After BIONICLE's storyline was too complex to accept new fans, they wanted to ensure that people could jump into HF whether the line had just launched or had been running for 10 years. I don't think they're going to make the new BIONICLE storyline this way, but they certainly are going to cut down on the complexity that plagued the later years of the original storyline, and that means reboot. LEGO will not make the same mistake twice, and certainly not by just continuing the old storyline. 

• Upvote 1
Bliss.png

Greg has essentially flat out denied the possibility of a BIONICLE return being a continuation several times, in fact. That's evidence enough for me, the obvious evidence from the leaks aside.

As much as I'd love to see the loose ends of the serials tied up, I'm glad it will be a reboot, because I don't see how BIONICLE could possibly do well by picking up a storyline that, near the end, went off into far too many directions, and was too complicated to draw in new fans. There is a very clear reason why Hero Factory doesn't follow a strict chronological storyline. After BIONICLE's storyline was too complex to accept new fans, they wanted to ensure that people could jump into HF whether the line had just launched or had been running for 10 years. I don't think they're going to make the new BIONICLE storyline this way, but they certainly are going to cut down on the complexity that plagued the later years of the original storyline, and that means reboot. LEGO will not make the same mistake twice, and certainly not by just continuing the old storyline. 

Just for clarification, what is your idea of a reboot?

• Upvote 1

Maybe it's just the pictures, but that $35 IfB set looks kinda small...

It includes two figures, though. That's what you have to keep in mind.

I do not own the set myself, but its piece count and weight are both similar to the Nui-Jaga from 2001 according to Bricklink, and that's a set that cost $35 way back in 2001 (factoring for inflation, today it would cost about 47 dollars).

I agree with you about Queen Beast being to small/having too few pieces

• Upvote 1

No. Just No. If BIONICLE comes back next year, then I hope they would retcon or 'reboot' the serial (The Yesterday Quest and The Powers that Be on BIONICLEstory.com). And rewrite the serial as the new main storyline for the New Bionicle sets and media (Comics, Books, games, Movies, etc). I agree with everyone that LEGO needs to attract new fans. But as an older fan, I would love to see a continuation, after the last story, All that glitters(?) and Journey's end. I want to visit/revisit Spherus Magna and see what happens next to the Toa, Glatorian, Matoran, Agori and Turaga. Right after the events of the old story. :(

I apologise if I might offended anyone. But I feel strong about the franchise and the story. I wanted BIONICLE to come back, as a sequel. And have a chance to explore Spherus Magna as The New World. I won't be cross if Lego rebooted Bionicle.

Edited by bohrokmaster

No. Just No. If BIONICLE comes back next year, then I hope they would retcon or 'reboot' the serial (The Yesterday Quest and The Powers that Be on BIONICLEstory.com). And rewrite the serial as the new main storyline for the New Bionicle sets and media (Comics, Books, games, Movies, etc). I agree with everyone that LEGO needs to attract new fans. But as an older fan, I would love to see a continuation, after the last story, All that glitters(?) and Journey's end. I want to visit/or revisit Spherus Magna and see what happens next to the Toa, Glatorian, Matoran, Agori and Turaga. Right after the events of the old story. :(

I apologise if I might offended anyone.

Dude, I can't even see how Tumblr users could work out a way to find that offensive :P

I get your drift, I would like those things to be tied up, rather than just left hanging while Bionicle 2.0 steams ahead. I still think it needs to be fresh though, so a timeskip would be the prefered option.

Frankly though, I think a hard reboot's more likely. Who knows, maybe they'll follow JJ Abrams's example and find a way to do so without treading on the original canon the fans love? That's assuming they still remember we exist...

• Upvote 2

My idea of a reboot is going back to the beginning on the Island of Mata Nui. 

• Upvote 1
Bliss.png

Greg has also pretty much flat-out denied that Bionicle is coming back as well, yet we've taken that as a given.

Until we get an official announcement from Lego, I'm taking anything Greg says with an Everest of salt. He'll say whatever his bosses at TLG tell him to say, until there arrives a time when they're ready to make an announcement and he's allowed to discuss this topic openly. I'm not saying he's lying to us, I'm just saying that he might not be telling the whole truth. And I still don't understand what you mean when you say there's "obvious evidence from the leaks". The only things that the leaks seem to confirm is the original team of Toa will be returning. That doesn't prove anything in regards to whether it will be a continuation of reboot. So unless you know something else that the rest of us don't (in which case, feel free to enlighten us), I really can't make sense of that part of your argument. Sorry.

And as for cutting down on the complexity, that's basically what I've been saying the whole time. If they rein in the rogue story arcs and divergent characters into one main plot, a continuation can easily be a feasible possibility. You're looking at this as if a reboot is a forgone conclusion, but we don't have any proof of anything yet. The intention of this discussion is to talk about what we'd like to see in 2015, which is what I've done. I've said I'd like to see a continuation, and then gone on to describe how that could be achieved with relative ease. 

Irregardless, there's really nothing any of us can prove or disprove until such a time as Lego releases some actual details. 

No. Just No. If BIONICLE comes back next year, then I hope they would retcon or 'reboot' the serial (The Yesterday Quest and The Powers that Be on BIONICLEstory.com). And rewrite the serial as the new main storyline for the New Bionicle sets and media (Comics, Books, games, Movies, etc). I agree with everyone that LEGO needs to attract new fans. But as an older fan, I would love to see a continuation, after the last story, All that glitters(?) and Journey's end. I want to visit/revisit Spherus Magna and see what happens next to the Toa, Glatorian, Matoran, Agori and Turaga. Right after the events of the old story. :(

I apologise if I might offended anyone.

I completely agree with you on this. I've been waiting for almost five years for a resolution to the story I spent half of my childhood becoming strongly emotionally invested in. I'm not offended by what you've said, because I strongly support your opinion. I don't see why Lego would finally give in to our pleas after so many years to bring back Bionicle, only to get rid of everything and start over. That entirely defeats the purpose of bringing it back to begin with. 

I assume you mean a retelling, then? I have my doubts that Lego would make the mistake of doing that. This has been said before several times by various people: a retelling wouldn't work because us old generation Bionicle fans would ruin the entire story for the new ones in five minutes flat by giving away all of the major plotlines and spoiling it for them.

Or do you mean going back to the island of Mata Nui but then taking the story in a whole different direction? (I think this would also be a mistake, since it wouldn't sit well with the majority of the older fans). 

Edited by NatoGreavesy
  • Upvote 3

How would that work if the cat's out the bag that there's a giant robot face underneath the island?

As the Big Story Engine is revealed, a reboot would need a new 'mystery box'. This would be tricky, as if the island is still called Mata Nui, how would it be made clear that there isn't a planetary repair robot underground. I can't see it working.

I imagine there will be a new location, which is a good thing :)

• Upvote 2

I dont want them to release Mask of Creation as a collectible set only. If the mask on the leaks isnt in fact that, I hope they introduce it later, or, not at all.

Mask of Creation is one of the 3 legendary kanohi. I think it deserves a bit more than release as a collectible pack.

But what if.... they invent more legendary Kanohi. And everyone and their baby daddies have one.

Add me on 3DS: 0516-7750-0068

Add me on Wii U: Boidoh

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 4: Never Trust a Snake

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 44: Corridor of Elders

Like, Comment, And Subscribe for Nintendo Content - NinBoidoh

I dont want them to release Mask of Creation as a collectible set only. If [reference to the leak retracted from the quote just in case] isnt in fact that, I hope they introduce it later, or, not at all.

Mask of Creation is one of the 3 legendary kanohi. I think it deserves a bit more than release as a collectible pack.

As far as I know there's no evidence, leaked or otherwise, that a Mask of Creation is to be released, so no disappointment needed yet.

And hurrah, another new member! Welcome to BZPower!

How would that work if the cat's out the bag that there's a giant robot face underneath the island?

As the Big Story Engine is revealed, a reboot would need a new 'mystery box'. This would be tricky, as if the island is still called Mata Nui, how would it be made clear that there isn't a planetary repair robot underground. I can't see it working.

I imagine there will be a new location, which is a good thing :)

This is why I don't believe it will be a retelling. The Giant Robot thing has already been revealed. I believe in a much earlier post on this topic someone referred to it as "a one-trick horse", and that's very accurate. If it's a reboot, it will have to take a completely new direction, which I doubt will sit well with a sizeable number of the old fans, myself included. 

I dont want them to release Mask of Creation as a collectible set only. If the mask on the leaks isnt in fact that, I hope they introduce it later, or, not at all.

You're completely right about the Mask of Creation needing more than that. But there's the potential that it may not come in a set in its own right. If the story is a continuation, and Velika did succeed in blowing up the tower, than Artakha is presumably dead. The Mask will either be left in the rubble, or someone else will wear it. (Or perhaps a certain unlucky skakdi will end up with it fused to his face?) 

But what if.... they invent more legendary Kanohi. And everyone and their baby daddies have one.

I'd really rather they didn't do that. It would entirely demean the idea of a legendary mask in the first place. 

Edited by NatoGreavesy
  • Upvote 4

I remember when BIONICLEstory.com was still online, I still enjoyed reading the Serials, Reign of Shadows, while the Glatorian sets and the Glatorian Legends had it's run. I even enjoyed The Yesterday Quest and The Powers that Be after BIONICLE ended the story with the Star sets (Bionicle Stars) in 2010.

Edited by bohrokmaster

Collectible masks would be great, though I can't see them really doing it. I want them to, though. I'd love to get some inorganic Inika masks (in various colours), a Mask of Creation and a Mask of Intangibility, as well as any new Kanohi they come up with.

• Upvote 1

Making brickfilms since 2007.

Check out my latest animations:

, and Avengers Tower!

The first episode of Nuva,

Magnetic Mania, is now live! Check it out!

burning_logo.jpg

One of the cooler ideas that one of my off-site friends proposed was some kind of blind-pack Matoran. Basically a merging of the minifigure line and the mask packs. Price point would obviously be the biggest issue, but I think it could be a cool thing to try for a year or so.

• Upvote 4

20383310448_7d514f8ffa.jpg

Spoiler Alert

One of the cooler ideas that one of my off-site friends proposed was some kind of blind-pack Matoran. Basically a merging of the minifigure line and the mask packs. Price point would obviously be the biggest issue, but I think it could be a cool thing to try for a year or so.

You mean like this ? It's a nice idea IMO.

• Upvote 1

Frankly though, I think a hard reboot's more likely. Who knows, maybe they'll follow JJ Abrams's example and find a way to do so without treading on the original canon the fans love? That's assuming they still remember we exist...

They definitely remember that we exist.

Greg has also pretty much flat-out denied that Bionicle is coming back as well, yet we've taken that as a given.

What? No, he hasn't said anything of the sort. Over a year and a half ago he did say that he didn't know of any plans to continue BIONICLE, but at that point we don't know if there WERE any plans, let alone whether he would have been aware of them. In recent months, his answers about plans to bring back BIONICLE have been much more evasive.

I completely agree with you on this. I've been waiting for almost five years for a resolution to the story I spent half of my childhood becoming strongly emotionally invested in. I'm not offended by what you've said, because I strongly support your opinion. I don't see why Lego would finally give in to our pleas after so many years to bring back Bionicle, only to get rid of everything and start over. That entirely defeats the purpose of bringing it back to begin with.

The core BIONICLE story wrapped up rather neatly in 2010. The serials did not, but they could have if Greg actually cared about tying up the loose ends he created. As it is, he decided to continue the serials without any plans for a conclusion, creating even more loose ends. I think he made a mistake by not wrapping up the serials neatly when he had the chance — now, he's too busy working on the story media he actually gets paid for, and even if the new BIONICLE does exist on the same timeline as the old BIONICLE, I can't imagine it devoting any of its story media to tying up loose ends that were carelessly left behind in supplementary media four or five years earlier.

That would be incredible. I had thought about the same possibility, since the biggest flaw of the mask packs was that they don't have any inherent play value except as accessories for larger sets. As you say, though, price point could be a determining factor in how effective that is. I can't imagine people lining up to buy duplicate after duplicate of a $10 Matoran set just on the off chance that they'll include different masks, but with $5 Matoran sets it'd be a lot more viable.

• Upvote 3

Perhaps a collectible mask system in which randomly packed masks of different power levels were included... Like trading card game booster packs. You could still have that chance at a legendary super-mask (Vahi, Ignika, etc.), but you are most likely to get noble and great kanohi.

I think it could work, done right.

Given the number of masks not yet put into set form, there is PLENTY of room to accomodate it.

EDIT: Some sort of collectible character system could also work. Remember that Agori, Matoran, and Turaga could all be about the same size.

Edited by Nujanii: Kanohi Master

I don't see why Lego would finally give in to our pleas after so many years to bring back Bionicle, only to get rid of everything and start over.

They aren't giving in to us. How often does it need to be said that BZPower is only a tiny fraction of the overall Lego consumer base, with little or no influence over their decisions? Plenty of 'us' wanted that Invasion book to be released in 07, and Bionicle to continue in 09/10, and Greg to continue the serials in 11/12, but in all cases Lego went ahead and cancelled.

If they're bringing Bionicle back, it'll be primarily because they want a new constraction line to sell, not to make anyone on here happy.

Edited by Sir Kohran
  • Upvote 1

I think Makaru's idea of blind-packed Matoran as pretty feasible - I mean, Mega Blok, Kreo, and Lego have been doing blind packs of minifigures for some time now. If it wasn't a successful endeavor, they probably would have pulled those from the shelves by now.

• Upvote 2

Steam Name: Toa Hahli Mahri. Xbox Live Gamertag: Makuta. Minecraft Username: ThePoohster.

Wants: 2003 Jaller (from Jaller and Gukko), Exo-Toa, Turaga Nuju, Turaga Vakama, Shadow Kraata, Axonn, Brutaka, Vezon & Fenrakk, Nocturn, ORANGE FIKOU.

I got rid of my picture, are you happy?

I think Makaru's idea of blind-packed Matoran as pretty feasible - I mean, Mega Blok, Kreo, and Lego have been doing blind packs of minifigures for some time now. If it wasn't a successful endeavor, they probably would have pulled those from the shelves by now.

But remember minifigs have a much larger appeal that Bionicle. But if Bionicle became really popular like it did in G1 then i could definitely see them doing something like that. It would be awesome

• Upvote 1

Signature Guidelines: Avatar and signature total file size may not exceed 250 KB!

But remember minifigs have a much larger appeal that Bionicle. But if Bionicle became really popular like it did in G1 then i could definitely see them doing something like that. It would be awesome

Minifigures are also smaller and cheaper than most BIONICLE figures. Collectible minifigures currently sell for $4 apiece. That's what the 2003 Matoran sold for when they were new — they'd cost $5 or more today. And I think that there's only a certain amount people will be willing to pay if they don't know what they're getting. A $5 set with a figure and a random mask could probably sell pretty well — people would be able to justify buying multiples even with the risk of duplicates. But a $7 or $10 set, maybe not so much. People would be much quicker to say "I have all I need" if each individual purchase is more expensive.
  • Upvote 2

Minifigures are also smaller and cheaper than most BIONICLE figures. Collectible minifigures currently sell for $4 apiece. That's what the 2003 Matoran sold for when they were new — they'd cost $5 or more today. And I think that there's only a certain amount people will be willing to pay if they don't know what they're getting. A $5 set with a figure and a random mask could probably sell pretty well — people would be able to justify buying multiples even with the risk of duplicates. But a $7 or $10 set, maybe not so much. People would be much quicker to say "I have all I need" if each individual purchase is more expensive.

But LEGO can at least try this without getting too prejudice, right ? I mean Rahi didn't sell well in 2001 because they were expensive, and this is why they never appeared very often in 2002 and beyond in set form. Should this not sell well, LEGO can remove these collectible Matoran by 2016.

• Upvote 2

You mean like this ? It's a nice idea IMO.

That's what I would really like to see as well...

• Upvote 1

shadow_destroyer_banner.jpg
Thank you to the Dark Beings Banner and Avatar Shop for the banner! Brickshelf Gallery  BZPRPG Profiles 

I'm liking this whole blind pack idea for Bionicle. 

Why not sell random blind-pack sets at about the Matoran size? They could all still come with a randomised collectible mask, but they wouldn't all necessarily have to be Matoran. There could be Agori and Turaga as well, plus small Rahi, maybe skakdi (like the one in stars, but in different colours), perhaps a few Baterra. Maybe Star-sized versions of larger sets as well? 

I'm thinking of the Lego minifigure blind packs where there's a few dozen different ones to collect, and they're all very unique. If they offered a wide variety of sets with roughly the same size and piece count with the Bionicle blind packs, it might stand a better chance of raking in some revenue. Also, each pack could still come with a random collectible mask, whether or not the included set needed one, the same way the Bionicle Stars all came with a piece of the Golden armour.

• Upvote 3

First off: I think that is a new record for the length down the page.

Second: blind bags would be, if nothing else, intriguing to people. I know those blind bags you guys have been saying would definitely be blind bags I'd be willing to buy. :D

Then I'd have an army of copy matoran/agori/turaga and a load of Kanohi/etc. to MOC with. (I don't have enough masks, nor the right colours of some. (A white version of Mistika/vehicle Lewa Nuva Adaptive armour would make my day.))

But seriously, it would be great to get copies of released masks in the bag, but with different colour, as well as perhaps some "secret" masks or helmets that are not given to the Toa/Glatorian/Enemies. (Can't forget the Glatorian exist, unless they DO try to make a reboot (personal opinion: terrible idea).)

• Upvote 2

Online presences (main ones, at least):

DeviantART: Heontris

YouTube: Heontris

Anything else with the name Heontris is also me. As far as I know.

"Don't be a night owl, it gets boring after the first 6 hours." - Me right now

Is the Bionicle 3: Web of Shadows DVD getting re-issued? I was looking the Bionicle movies up on Amazon to see if they'd been put on Blu-Ray yet, and the page for WoS says it will be released on October 7th of this year...

COTdHSQ.png

???

That is weird. I bet its an error on Amazon's part though. Unless a new version of the movie is being released and no one has heard of it until now, but I don't think that's the case since it doesn't say that its different from the original movie. That's what makes me think that Amazon made a mistake with this.

Edited by Toa Smoke Monster
  • Upvote 3

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png