What is the worst thing lego could do with bionicle 2015?

masterchirox580

After enough practice, I could march a 15 minute show with minimal errors.

At the same time (that's a turn of phrase, this never happened to me in marching band), I sometimes trip over my own two feet.

Clumsiness works in funny ways sometimes. You can be elegant at some times and walk into a glass door the next.

Upon reflection: What if Kopaka is so used to skiing/snowshoeing that he trips on normal ground? 

That I can accept: it would make sense. 

(I also am so glad they didn't give it to Gali...)

Edited by fishers64

They could reboot it. That'd be terrible.

Oh. 

Wait. 

Steam Name: Toa Hahli Mahri. Xbox Live Gamertag: Makuta. Minecraft Username: ThePoohster.

Wants: 2003 Jaller (from Jaller and Gukko), Exo-Toa, Turaga Nuju, Turaga Vakama, Shadow Kraata, Axonn, Brutaka, Vezon & Fenrakk, Nocturn, ORANGE FIKOU.

I got rid of my picture, are you happy?

They could reboot it. That'd be terrible.

Oh. 

Wait.

It's a soft reboot. Check this out and spread the word: http://ttvpodcast.com/post/99589549937/everything-we-know-about-bionicle-2015-part-one

No, it's not:

I don't believe the TTV speculation because I was also at the panel and the phrase "It's a reboot" was used at least a dozen times, and all without the word "soft" in front of it. Also, the phrase was never uttered in our interviews with the same BIONICLE story and set and entire franchise employees either. There was a bit about the mask of time mentioned by a couple LEGO employees, and yes, references to it being the full mask were indeed used. TTV's "confirmed facts" list is a conflation of actual facts, and misconstrued LEGO comments.

It was a TTV podcast member who used the term "soft reboot" in an interview to get the employee to agree to it. The idea of these toa being the original ones is both right and wrong. They are not the same characters as the ones we had before- they are NOT going to be the original characters who we kept up with for ten years. They are new iterations of those characters, and that is what TLG meant when they mentioned "we're using the original toa". The Mask of Time reference was indeed used, but not in a way to imply the old characters moved to the new continuity via time travel- rather it seemed to us there to hear that discussion as well (since the TTV guys recorded it like three feet from us at the booth) that the reference was more like "we're using elements from the original, like you know how the original they had the character making the mask of time from the disks? And then you ended up with half a mask? We're going to have the full mask."

I can see where the confusion would come in, but I don't in the slightest believe this was a "it's a soft reboot" mention. Definitely seems like a conflation of terms mixed with some leading and confusing questions from TTV, and some speculation that has worked its way into their facts list.

• Upvote 1

pfffft, when'd this turn into the bionicle 2015 minor gripe rant topic?

honestly, you want the worst? the absolute worst possible thing?

imagine:

HF shell-and-bone structure, but-

limbs are like 2008 sockets.

heads are monochromatic and solid, no face.

masks have no attachment points, just rest on curve of heads.

dark bley becomes everyone's secondary color, except when it's not (for awkward contrast)

and to top it off, absolutely no story is given, whatsoever. :V

bnnrimg1.pngbnnrimg2.pngbnnrimg3.pngbnnrimg4.pngbnnrimg5.pngbnnrimg8.png

Not finding a balance between an engaging storyline filled with wonder and mystery and an overly-simplified, childish one that insults peoples' intelligence. I'm happy that it doesn't seem like they're going to let the story get needlessly complicated, but I'm afraid of things getting a bit too Hero Factory in here.

• Upvote 2

hamster.gif

Sprite Kit Archive

For all of your comic-making needs!

I'd like to see more female characters to be honest, and I'd like to seem them not be stereotypical kind gentle water-type characters. Let's see some variety. And yes, keeping characters dead and not bringing them back would be nice, it adds so much more integrity to the story.

Edited by Xarok
  • Upvote 1

-BE EXCELLENT TO EACH OTHER-

They could make the canister sets almost double the price of the Gen one sets, kinda ruining the thing of saving up ten bucks for an important character.

The medium sized sets are like two dollars more expensive than they were in 2009, when Bionicle last had medium sized sets. "Almost double" is an exaggeration.

• Upvote 1

AXKP5KC.png

They could make the canister sets almost double the price of the Gen one sets, kinda ruining the thing of saving up ten bucks for an important character.

The medium sized sets are like two dollars more expensive than they were in 2009, when Bionicle last had medium sized sets. "Almost double" is an exaggeration.
Well since in 2009 I could get all the main canister sets for 78 dollars where I am, and in 2015 it will cost me 105 dollars, yeah it is an exaggeration. But still, look at how much it has gone up...

Well since in 2009 I could get all the main canister sets for 78 dollars where I am, and in 2015 it will cost me 105 dollars, yeah it is an exaggeration. But still, look at how much it has gone up...

welcome to the economy

• Upvote 2

As prices go up, so does income usually.

• Upvote 2

Want to know the best thing they could do?

Make an online game like MNOG for the new island.

This is BZPower; we won't tolerate your namby-pamby optimism. You know what they say: optimism leads to overall positivity, and we can't have that!

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

Except it hasn't for the past decade. People are paid less to do more work and people have to pay more for less stuff. 

• Upvote 3

Steam Name: Toa Hahli Mahri. Xbox Live Gamertag: Makuta. Minecraft Username: ThePoohster.

Wants: 2003 Jaller (from Jaller and Gukko), Exo-Toa, Turaga Nuju, Turaga Vakama, Shadow Kraata, Axonn, Brutaka, Vezon & Fenrakk, Nocturn, ORANGE FIKOU.

I got rid of my picture, are you happy?

Except it hasn't for the past decade. People are paid less to do more work and people have to pay more for less stuff. 

Remember back in the day when bread was 5 cents?

Edited by bioniclepluslotr
  • Upvote 1

Yeah, okay, prices are always going up, but the money that people can spare on such things needs to increase as well... otherwise, as basic things like milk and bread become twice as expensive, and your income essentially stays the same, you can only afford half as much of those things, and you're kinda going hungry.

It's the same with these. If these sets continue to grow more expensive over time, to a point where yesterday's "canister set" costs, like, fifty dollars tomorrow... they're just gonna have to do away with the dollar altogether and come up with something else for people to use, otherwise everything's eventually gonna become pretty much unaffordable.

the_toa_sig_by_nickinamerica-dbn0wau.png

The Toa- A Bionicle Retelling by NickonAquaMagna http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/25275-the-toa-a-retelling-of-bionicle/

Yeah, okay, prices are always going up, but the money that people can spare on such things needs to increase as well... otherwise, as basic things like milk and bread become twice as expensive, and your income essentially stays the same, you can only afford half as much of those things, and you're kinda going hungry.

It's the same with these. If these sets continue to grow more expensive over time, to a point where yesterday's "canister set" costs, like, fifty dollars tomorrow... they're just gonna have to do away with the dollar altogether and come up with something else for people to use, otherwise everything's eventually gonna become pretty much unaffordable.

Both prices and income generally increase over time, but recently, in the US at least, income has had trouble keeping up. This is why recessions happen, and why there is concern over things like downfall of the middle class. This became clear in the BIONICLE fandom as early as 2008, when the Mistika were released for nearly twice as much as the Toa Mata in 2001. On the other end, this can be chalked up to a >100% increase in parts from Tahu Mata to Tahu Mistika.

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

On the other end, this can be chalked up to a >100% increase in parts from Tahu Mata to Tahu Mistika.

By that measure, Onua's price at least is pretty good, since he has more than three times as many parts as his 2001 counterpart for slightly less than three times the price. Kopaka's just barely shy of an equal price-to-piece ratio to his original form, while Tahu leaves a little more to be desired in comparison to his predecessor.

Lewa also has more parts relative to his price than the original Lewa. Ditto for Gali. And Pohatu falls far short (if only because new Pohatu is the Toa with the lowest piece count in his group and old Pohatu is the one with the highest piece count of the original Toa).

What can we learn from this? Mainly two things. One, price-per-piece is a very imprecise metric, as always. Also, that the new Toa are a LOT bigger and more complex than the original Toa, so their prices are higher for a reason.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

On the other end, this can be chalked up to a >100% increase in parts from Tahu Mata to Tahu Mistika.

By that measure, Onua's price at least is pretty good, since he has more than three times as many parts as his 2001 counterpart for slightly less than three times the price. Kopaka's just barely shy of an equal price-to-piece ratio to his original form, while Tahu leaves a little more to be desired in comparison to his predecessor.

Lewa also has more parts relative to his price than the original Lewa. Ditto for Gali. And Pohatu falls far short (if only because new Pohatu is the Toa with the lowest piece count in his group and old Pohatu is the one with the highest piece count of the original Toa).

What can we learn from this? Mainly two things. One, price-per-piece is a very imprecise metric, as always. Also, that the new Toa are a LOT bigger and more complex than the original Toa, so their prices are higher for a reason.

But of course, you've also gotta take into account what you would've gotten for 20 bucks in, say, 2005 or 6... and see if the new Toa measure up to that, inflation be darned.

The Toa- A Bionicle Retelling by NickonAquaMagna http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/25275-the-toa-a-retelling-of-bionicle/

But of course, you've also gotta take into account what you would've gotten for 20 bucks in, say, 2005 or 6... and see if the new Toa measure up to that, inflation be darned.

Not accounting for inflation is pretty much one of the stupidest things you can do when dealing with money over time. That's like calculating how much gas you need for a trip and not accounting for using gas along the way.

• Upvote 1

Not accounting for inflation is pretty much one of the stupidest things you can do when dealing with money over time. That's like calculating how much gas you need for a trip and not accounting for using gas along the way.

I know, but... in the case of plastic toys, it's happening SO FAST in what seems like such a short span of time. Hopefully Lego will develop that substitute, someday.

Edited by NickonAquaMagna

At first after looking at the topic name, I gave it some thought and I believed that stopping the comics would put Bionicle into a watered down, Hero-Factory-ish flop. The comics were the best thing about Bionicle, besides the sets. I remember reading Death of a Hero (maybe because I just re-read it yesterday), but I remember the huge surprise when Matoro gave his life for his friends. I remember the surprise when Makuta possessed Mata Nui's true body, and forced the mask to a different world. I remember how much of an influence on my love with Bionicle it had.

I then thought that the worst thing they could do is give us the comics, and target it to 6 year olds. The worst part about Hero Factory is most definitely the toddler's storyline. It was so simple and childish that it wasn't of any interest. Lego needs to deliver with this new generation. It will get sales regardless of what it does, but whether it's significant or not may depend on this.

But maybe it's to trade out the comics for a TV series. A comic book is easily accessible. A TV series is only available when it's scheduled. A comic book is free. A TV series takes a huge amount of time and effort for just one episode. Every time I got a comic book from the Lego magazine, I would read it about two or three times before I even left my hand from it. A TV show can be very good, but an annoying voice, a bad animation; anything like that can make it fail and fall.

They could even fail with the set design. A lot of people don't like the set design. Lego is trying something new. They tried something new when they first started Bionicle, and they're trying something new again. In this point, however, I defend. I think Lego will do a very good job combining the Hero Factory and Bionicle pieces. However, this could be the killer if the fans don't like it.

Pricing. 'Nuff said.

These are the worst things I think that Bionicle can do in this newer generation.

At first after looking at the topic name, I gave it some thought and I believed that stopping the comics would put Bionicle into a watered down, Hero-Factory-ish flop. The comics were the best thing about Bionicle, besides the sets. I remember reading Death of a Hero (maybe because I just re-read it yesterday), but I remember the huge surprise when Matoro gave his life for his friends. I remember the surprise when Makuta possessed Mata Nui's true body, and forced the mask to a different world. I remember how much of an influence on my love with Bionicle it had.

I then thought that the worst thing they could do is give us the comics, and target it to 6 year olds. The worst part about Hero Factory is most definitely the toddler's storyline. It was so simple and childish that it wasn't of any interest. Lego needs to deliver with this new generation. It will get sales regardless of what it does, but whether it's significant or not may depend on this.

But maybe it's to trade out the comics for a TV series. A comic book is easily accessible. A TV series is only available when it's scheduled. A comic book is free. A TV series takes a huge amount of time and effort for just one episode. Every time I got a comic book from the Lego magazine, I would read it about two or three times before I even left my hand from it. A TV show can be very good, but an annoying voice, a bad animation; anything like that can make it fail and fall.

They could even fail with the set design. A lot of people don't like the set design. Lego is trying something new. They tried something new when they first started Bionicle, and they're trying something new again. In this point, however, I defend. I think Lego will do a very good job combining the Hero Factory and Bionicle pieces. However, this could be the killer if the fans don't like it.

Pricing. 'Nuff said.

These are the worst things I think that Bionicle can do in this newer generation.

There won't be comics in the lego magazine, however there will be graphic novels later in 2015.

It's time to move on.

What's the worst thing Lego HAS done to Bionicle?

Um not enough brown on Pohatu and lewa being called master of jungle and not master of air, I can't think of anything else.

The new Pohatu has about as much Dark Orange as Lewa has Bright Green. In fact, the new Pohatu technically has more Dark Orange pieces than the original had Earth Orange (Mata Brown) pieces. Six Dark Orange pieces on the new Pohatu, and only four Earth Orange pieces on the original Pohatu. All things considered, if that's the worst LEGO has done so far, I think that's pretty good!

If I had to list what I think the worst they've done is, I think I'd list two things: the hard-to-read text formatting on the teaser site, and making the blue eyes on Tahu, Kopaka, and some of the Protectors Tr. Light Blue instead of Tr. Fluorescent Blue. The former is fixable, and the latter is an extremely minor quibble. Tr. Light Blue looks fine, but a fluorescent color could have been so much better!

Um not enough brown on Pohatu and lewa being called master of jungle and not master of air, I can't think of anything else.

The new Pohatu has about as much Dark Orange as Lewa has Bright Green. In fact, the new Pohatu technically has more Dark Orange pieces than the original had Earth Orange (Mata Brown) pieces. Six Dark Orange pieces on the new Pohatu, and only four Earth Orange pieces on the original Pohatu. All things considered, if that's the worst LEGO has done so far, I think that's pretty good!

If I had to list what I think the worst they've done is, I think I'd list two things: the hard-to-read text formatting on the teaser site, and making the blue eyes on Tahu, Kopaka, and some of the Protectors Tr. Light Blue instead of Tr. Fluorescent Blue. The former is fixable, and the latter is an extremely minor quibble. Tr. Light Blue looks fine, but a fluorescent color could have been so much better!

Yeah but I hate the way he has two different coloured arms(one brown one silver)if they made the other arm brown I wouldn't have any problems with him. And yes I agree the new bionicle is almost perfect.

It's time to move on.

Yeah but I hate the way he has two different coloured arms(one brown one silver)if they made the other arm brown I wouldn't have any problems with him. And yes I agree the new bionicle is almost perfect.

Since he uses the same parts for his upper and lower arms, you could easily swap his pieces around so each arm has one beam and one shell in each color, instead of beams and shells in just one of the colors.

I like asymmetry like this (CHI Panthar pulls it off quite nicely so it looks like he has one "energized power arm", so to speak), but it is a bit strange on Pohatu since both his arms have the same weapon. In fairness, since only his right arm is geared, you could interpret that as his "throwing arm" as an explanation for the different armor and beam colors.

Re-release the same set every year (see Furno).

Make toa of the same year differently sized. (Already done it. Dark Takanuva had canon.)

Ignore continuity. 

Full reboot is okay, half-baked fusion with original Bionicle series is a no-no.(See Transformers IDW comics).

Make dumb side-plots expanded to full year stories.(See Hordika, every year of Hero Factory).

Get rid of gear functions in larger sets.

Make flat, boring, evil for the lulz villains. 

What do I write here?

Someone, say something funny so you can be remembered for posterity.