Official My Little Pony topic

~Allegretto~

I have a question for you guys...Would it be possible to make a show with similar themes to MLP:FiM (Tolerance, friendship, consideration for others, etc)... that had an entirely or predominantly MALE cast?The adult male fanbase has responded surprisingly well to these themes among an all-female cast, but would it have worked if most of the characters were boys? And more importantly, would it be possible to interest 7-12 year old boys in a show with those themes?

Nope. Part of the fundamental message of FiM was that a girl can be anything--athlete, artist, student, etc.--and a male cast would sort of make that message useless (upside: no more CMC). Now, I know that's not the theme that you were talking about, but it's an important one nonetheless. We can keep a message of tolerance, and it would likely focus on such fare as treating women as equals and how racism is bad. Similarly, consideration for others would stay a good theme. Friendship doesn't fly too well with older boys (e.g., 9-12) and is typically seen as the topic of preschoolers' shows.Also, 7-12-year-old boys want more action and fantastical conflict a la saving the world. We'd be stuck with adventure after adventure and lose all of the great slice-of-life stories. Plus, little boys often prefer winning to bonding with teammates and competitors, so episodes "Sisterhooves Social" would have been dismissed as insufficiently fulfilling.Now, I'm biased. Half the fun of the show is that it's so girly!~ BioGio Edited by BioGio

"You're a scientist? The proposal you make violates parsimony; it introduces extra unknowns without proof for them. One might as well say unicorns power it."

I have a question for you guys...Would it be possible to make a show with similar themes to MLP:FiM (Tolerance, friendship, consideration for others, etc)... that had an entirely or predominantly MALE cast?The adult male fanbase has responded surprisingly well to these themes among an all-female cast, but would it have worked if most of the characters were boys? And more importantly, would it be possible to interest 7-12 year old boys in a show with those themes?

Nope. Part of the fundamental message of FiM was that a girl can be anything--athlete, artist, student, etc.--and a male cast would sort of make that message useless (upside: no more CMC). Now, I know that's not the theme that you were talking about, but it's an important one nonetheless. We can keep a message of tolerance, and it would likely focus on such fare as treating women as equals and how racism is bad. Similarly, consideration for others would stay a good theme. Friendship doesn't fly too well with older boys (e.g., 9-12) and is typically seen as the topic of preschoolers' shows.Also, 7-12-year-old boys want more action and fantastical conflict a la saving the world. We'd be stuck with adventure after adventure and lose all of the great slice-of-life stories. Plus, little boys often prefer winning to bonding with teammates and competitors, so episodes "Sisterhooves Social" would have been dismissed as insufficiently fulfilling.Now, I'm biased. Half the fun of the show is that it's so girly!~ BioGio
I would have to disagree with you on some parts. We could easily have a cartoon that shows boys can be anything either, because there is still a lot of stereotypes against men as well. That's half of the reason why Bronies are awesome. The Tolerance message can easily be explained (like you said) as well. Friendship would be a little trickier, but could still happen. For instance I know my friends and I are a bit more rowdy and rude to each other, but no one else can do that. 9-12 year old boys "friendship lessons" just would focus on different topics than the MLP. And while they are more into the adventurous shows, it wouldn't be that hard to make the slice of life episodes still. And adventure doesn't have to be running around and saving the world, the would just have to be more down to earth adventures that you could have, maybe with the encouragement of imagination. The same way younger girls can enjoy those slice of life episodes, younger boys can too. Saying they can't is the same stereotype as "girls like pretty rainbows and shows about princesses and boys like adventures and explosions." The exact thing MLP strives to get anyway from.

Scootaloo,

the greatest chicken/dodo/scooter riding Pegasus ever

They could probably get away with the slice of life stuff if they cranked up the comedy, and possibly turned down the sentimentality a little bit. Adventure stories would probably still dominate, though.I think the themes could all still work, but I doubt that they would be quite as explicit (no 'Elements of Harmony' or letters to the princess, etc). In the adventure stories, you could quite easily show the conflict being resolved through diplomacy and wits, rather than combat (combat could still happen, but it may not necessarily be effective, ala Rainbow Dash kicking a dragon). It just occurred to me that nearly all successful franchises aimed at boys are combat-focused, and they arguably send the message that fighting is the best way to resolve a conflict. While a lot of them try to work some sort of moral in there, most of the time the values being promoted are courage and determination, rather than kindness or generosity (Actually, I can't even remember the last time I heard a male character described as "kind" or "generous").Bionicle had the whole "unity" thing, but it was still much more common to see the Toa blasting each other with their elemental powers to resolve petty disputes than just rationally trying to resolve their differences normally. I guess you could argue that blasty stuff is more fun, but I think there's still some room for witty banter and character-based humour in watching two characters sparring verbally and eventually resolving a conflict that way. It seems like a lot of boys' shows do have some sort of friendship message, but it rarely goes beyond "Don't abandon your friends when they need you, and don't turn evil kthxbai".Now, I'm not saying there's anything wrong with combat in kids' shows, and Bionicle and its colleagues are all pretty harmless stuff. But when every single show for boys follows that pattern, with nothing to demonstrate that guys can -and should- be compassionate, considerate and kind to others, then it could become problematic. I would argue that boys need balanced role models just as much as girls do.

3DS Friend Code: 0018-0767-4231

burn stuff! :) :)Aaanyway.If someone like Lauren Faust would make a show like that for boys...'s All good.I do admit though that a big part of the appeal of MLP FiM (to me) is the fact that the Mane 6 are female. ^^

~Avatar's original image was made by the incomparable Egophiliac.~

~Electronic Manic Supersonic Bionic Energy~

f9Qcky7.png

~"If I am afraid of criticism, I won't be able to challenge anything new." - BoA~

Bionicle had the whole "unity" thing, but it was still much more common to see the Toa blasting each other with their elemental powers to resolve petty disputes than just rationally trying to resolve their differences normally. I guess you could argue that blasty stuff is more fun, but I think there's still some room for witty banter and character-based humour in watching two characters sparring verbally and eventually resolving a conflict that way. It seems like a lot of boys' shows do have some sort of friendship message, but it rarely goes beyond "Don't abandon your friends when they need you, and don't turn evil kthxbai".

This is what I was thinking, though your synopsis isn't really all that accurate. For example toa teams treat each other as if they are brothers and sisters. That's more than, "Don't abandon your friends." That's them being friends that are willing to do anything for each other, whether it be leaping off a cliff, telling a joke to cheer them up, or anything else. =P

This is a signature that describes me as a person. Lazy, dry, and overall just a procra...

*insert placeholder signature here*

I guess what I'm trying to say is that the realistic aspects of a friendship are kind of glossed over, or rarely mentioned, in favour of the EXTREME MANLY ACTION aspects. Once again, it's all about the loyalty and courage (Which, as I said, aren't necessarily bad things in their own right, but when some values are attributed mainly to boys and others to girls, it prevents kids wanting to step outside those boundaries and embrace the "other" values). The chances of the target audience ever being in the position of having to jump off a cliff for a friend are, thankfully, low, but it is likely that they will have a petty argument with a friend and have to resolve it without resorting to fighting.Some friendships in the Bionicle universe have been developed quite well- Pohatu and Kopaka stands out to me as being one. But I think Greg struggled a little with friendships that didn't depend on hurling sarcastic insults around, such as Hahli and Jaller's ... "friendship".One of the great things about MLP is that you have six main characters that are all friends- that's 21 character interrelations if you sort them into pairs, picking a random two each time. And if you've watched enough of the show, you can describe how each and every one of those relationships works. I didn't really get that sense with some of the Toa teams... I could easily tell you about Fluttershy and Applejack's relationship, but I couldn't for the life of me tell you what Nuparu thinks of Hahli. I've "known" the former two characters for about six months, and the latter for more than ten years... yeah.As for Lauren Faust doing such a show, I see her more likely doing something like Avatar: The Last Airbender, that had an even-split cast, rather than predominantly male.

I think a male-oriented show that focuses on slice-of-life storytelling and "friendship lessons" like MLP:FiM does would be pretty cool. Of course, there exist plenty of educational TV shows that are like this with about equal gender representation in the cast, like Arthur. In fact, just about every children's show I can think of that has slice-of-life storytelling tries to teach these kinds of basic life lessons, though friendship is often just one of many subjects. (Other common lessons include "don't put off until tomorrow what you can do today", "don't take credit for other people's work," etc.)For some reason it just seems that there aren't many of these shows these days without many female characters in the main cast, though, perhaps because that's seen as exclusionary to girls who might enjoy the show.On that note...Dear Princess Celestia,Today I learned that the best way to defeat an enemy is to make him your friend. And my new friend Lloyd learned to never trust a snake.

Edited by Aanchir: Rachira of Time

Yeah, a male version wouldn't be as successful. One of the things I like about being a brony is the inherent contradiction it forms when traditional sexism is applied. I think things like bronyism will be pivotal in progressing culturally beyond outdated sexist ideas.

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

Well, I think it's unlikely that we'll see anything as successful as MLP, at least for a while. A big part of the success was that it was a well-known brand with a lot of negative baggage attached, which only made the fans raving about it more interesting, piquing the curiosity of many other prospective fans.So, it's not really fair to compare any prospective show to MLP, unless you're talking exclusively about the target audience.

In regards to the target audience, if it had a superhero in it, then sure. Lots of 7-12 year old boys will watch anything superhero related. And it would have to have a suitably punny name. Like 'The Afreindgers' or something.In regards to success with adults, it depends how good it would be. Shows like Avatar and Spongebob have a large adult fan base, so it wouldn't be beyond the realm of possibility. Edited by High Voltage

Also, a semi-related question: What do you think Lauren Faust should work on next?She's done SBFF, and I think she's doing a new project with her husband at the moment, but is there anything else you'd like to see from her?

Also, a semi-related question: What do you think Lauren Faust should work on next?She's done SBFF, and I think she's doing a new project with her husband at the moment, but is there anything else you'd like to see from her?

I dunno. I honestly haven't seen much of her stuff other than MLP, so I really can't judge what else she's good at. I do know that if when they finally decide to wrap up Friendship is Magic, it would be amazing if they could get her to return to it so that she can give it the ending it deserves.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Hmmm...I'm wanting to finally see this milky way galaxy girls thing she talked about.

Edited by Zacax

"Literature adds to reality, it does not simply describe it. It enriches the necessary competencies that daily life requires and provides; and in this respect, it irrigates the deserts that our lives have already become,"-C.S. Lewis

Yeah, the big MLP Cuusoo project's archived as well. :/

Archived Project - This project has been reviewed and is not being considered for production.

First and foremost, congratulations to Addam for gaining so many supporters for this very well done concept on LEGO CUUSOO. The work you have put into the concepts for potential LEGO renditions of My Little Pony figures and playsets is outstanding.We know My Little Pony is very popular, and these concepts would make great products. Our team has done our due diligence. Since the property is owned by Hasbro we've decided it’s neither a brand fit nor a strategic fit for the LEGO Group to pursue a My Little Pony license, and so we will not consider My Little Pony projects on LEGO CUUSOO further. We see how enthusiastic and hopeful MLP fans are at the possibility of a LEGO line and are sorry to be the bearers of this disappointing news.Since LEGO CUUSOO opens us to new product suggestions, naturally people will suggest concepts that aren’t a strategic fit. We are grateful for the spirit behind projects like the My Little Pony - Friendship is Magic project. It keeps us sharp and looking toward the future of the LEGO brick.The LEGO CUUSOO Team

Edited by Valenti

f9Qcky7.png

~"If I am afraid of criticism, I won't be able to challenge anything new." - BoA~

Aw well. The fans gave it a good shot.Still, are hopes are still out Hasbro might try the same idea with their Kre-O products? I'm open to give some clone brands a chance. I felt Mega Blok's Halo sets look nice (though I'm not a Halo fan myself), and the Battleship sets looked semi-okay. If Hasbro tried buildable ponies as an experiment, I would have some reasonable optimism for it working out.

Your Honor, I Plead the Fifth.

I really need to handle my signature problems better.

We did all see that coming a while ago solely based on the fact they are competitors. It is a shame none the less, but I never did have much faith in it. On to a different topic though, anyone else hear of Griffin the Griffin and Ballad of Echo the Diamond Dog? Both are fun stories of Human in a not so perfect Equestrian world. Pretty much Equestria is nice, but all the surrounding areas not so much. I highly suggest looking into them if you're into fanfics. (just a heads up there is some cursing and violence, but not constant)

Scootaloo,

I need to make some time for Ballad of Echo the Diamond Dog some time, lol. It's still on my to-read list.Anyway, I just read a comic called "Why is she your friend?" by HowXu and it simply made me cry with joy. :3

Edited by Valenti

f9Qcky7.png

Anyway, I just read a comic called "Why is she your friend?" by HowXu and it simply made me cry with joy. :3

Just read it. Manly tears were shred.

"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

:3Haha, it's a slow Summer on the pony news front, it seems. This thread almost got to the third page. :PAnyway, the BronyCon Documentary got past the $300,000.

f9Qcky7.png

So far I haven't heard anything but I'm probably not searching hard enough.Man, a while back I should have been commenting on what I was doing while waiting for season 3. Well besides life and school, I had plans for two fanfictions. One that was distinctly over the top and the idea is based around a piece of fanart I saw. The other idea is much more dramatic and (hopefully) tragic. Suffice to say a lot of characters will die in that one.Apparently Andrew W.K. is a fan of MLP.

gallery_99567_147_39590.jpg

Well that's a massive generalization of what I am actually doing with the fic. That sort of makes it sound like it's a horror fic, which it isn't. Most of the characters I'm killing are either background characters or supporting characters. It's basically a war spanning all of Equestria and the threat is pretty bad. Originally, I believe the basic idea was an idea I had for the plot for that Pony RPG on here, that never quite took off.

Edited by The Mask

gallery_99567_147_39590.jpg

Well that's a massive generalization of what I am actually doing with the fic. That sort of makes it sound like it's a horror fic, which it isn't. Most of the characters I'm killing are either background characters or supporting characters. It's basically a war spanning all of Equestria and the threat is pretty bad. Originally, I believe the basic idea was an idea I had for the plot for that Pony RPG on here, that never quite took off.
Well that doesn't seem as bad. Just hope you find it in your heart to spare Scootaloo. I actually just started another project rather recentlyThe Bounty Catching, Freedom Dreaming, Winged Wolf Phenomenon. It's been taking up a rather large chunk of time now, but it's fun to write. You write anything else before?

Scootaloo,

Yeah, the big MLP Cuusoo project's archived as well. :/
Archived Project - This project has been reviewed and is not being considered for production.
First and foremost, congratulations to Addam for gaining so many supporters for this very well done concept on LEGO CUUSOO. The work you have put into the concepts for potential LEGO renditions of My Little Pony figures and playsets is outstanding.We know My Little Pony is very popular, and these concepts would make great products. Our team has done our due diligence. Since the property is owned by Hasbro we've decided it’s neither a brand fit nor a strategic fit for the LEGO Group to pursue a My Little Pony license, and so we will not consider My Little Pony projects on LEGO CUUSOO further. We see how enthusiastic and hopeful MLP fans are at the possibility of a LEGO line and are sorry to be the bearers of this disappointing news.Since LEGO CUUSOO opens us to new product suggestions, naturally people will suggest concepts that aren’t a strategic fit. We are grateful for the spirit behind projects like the My Little Pony - Friendship is Magic project. It keeps us sharp and looking toward the future of the LEGO brick.The LEGO CUUSOO Team
What a shame! :(

~ CHTrilogy

So I just learned that Lauren Faust is married to Craig McCracken, creator of both Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends and The Powerpuff Girls.

"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

That explains so much

"Literature adds to reality, it does not simply describe it. It enriches the necessary competencies that daily life requires and provides; and in this respect, it irrigates the deserts that our lives have already become,"-C.S. Lewis

So what are your thoughts on the idea that alicorns are immortal? Do you support the theory? Do you think that alicorns are just like everypony else?My personal opinion is that alicorns are more powerful, but not immortal or godlike. I believe that they live for a longer lifespan that ponies, but they do eventually die; these two beliefs will likely translate into my eventual fanfic (speaking of which, I've kinda been procrastinating on it. I'm almost done with the first chapter, so that's somethin', but I digress).

*Insert some sort of banner or photograph here*

If Celestia was immortal I'd think she'd also have the power to kick Chrysalis half-way to the moon.As for how long they live, I've got mixed feelings on that. I'd imagine that Celestia and Luna could live on for practically forever, but once you throw Cadance into the mix, I'm not so sure...

«Takuma Nuva»

76561198002924926.png

If The Good Lord had intended us to walk

He would not have invented roller skates.
-- Willy Wonka

Being in charge of the sun and moon, I'd imagine Celestia and Luna have greater lifespans by default. No point in constantly replacing your day-controllers when you can keep the two for as long as possible.Other alicorns may live longer, but I wouldn't think it would be too much longer. Especially since Cadance married Shining Armor. Kind of tragic to marry someone who's going to die a long time before you do.e: Alyska knows it

Edited by Bfahome

OpAXNpl.jpg

Although, in a flashback, Cadence looks visibly younger. So, she seems to be relatively young, about the same age as Shining Armour, and grew up at the rate of a normal pony (That doesn't technically tell us anything about how long she will live, but it's a start.) So, maybe there are/ have been many winged unicorn princesses, but Celestia and Luna are special cases. There's also the princess that was involved with the love poison who had a horn and wings. In fact, the only princess so far that hasn't had those features is Princess Platinum, and even that's disputable given that all we saw of her was a portrayal by Rarity.

I like the idea that Alicorns are biologically immortal, meaning they cannot die due to old age or sickness, but they can be killed.Concerning Cadance, it seems likely that Alicorns mature at the same rate as normal ponies, but stop visibly aging at some point. So she was probably born a few years before Twilight and the rest, during Luna's banishment. That would sadly mean that she will outlive Shining, unless she gets killed. Dont ask me for the preferable option.Or perhaps it's like in Lord of the Rings and they can trade in their biological immortality for living with a mortal. That would be a somewhat romantic solution to the problem.

I believe that Cadence and possibly an Alicorn Platinum aren't immortal, but Luna and Celestia, as the managers of the day-night cycle, are, especially since they're both over a millennium old. Also, Celestia is older than Luna, so they can't be ever-existing. (It at least proves Luna was born, not ever-existing, and so it can be assumed Celestia was as well).Also, during Hearth's Warming Eve, it shows that Pegasopolis, Earth/Dirtville, and Unicornia existed before Celestia's reign, however, the Equestrian flag depicts Celestia and Luna.

"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg