Story Substitutions

We all have certain things about the Bionicle story we would've liked to be otherwise. What kind of explanations or headcanon-things have you invented for yourself, to make the story better in your opinion?I, for example, came up with an explanatio for why all Brotherhood of Makuta members have "Makuta" in front of their names. Makuta is an honorary title. The name of the leader of that brotherhood becomes a title every member use. Teridax, on the other hand, means "leader" or "master" and has been given to the real Makuta for his status. Also, the brotherhood members are not all super-powered masterminds. Only one is Makuta, the others have their own powers.What have you made up?

I came up with the idea that Krekka was Krekka's species name, and that because his species is stupid, it's seen as an insult, and because Krekka himself was particularly stupid, he was simply called Krekka by everyone.Unfortunately, the demise of the storyline has meant my story squad application came to nothing. But I stick with that for my own purposes anyway.

- Taipu1.

tayis.png

HighFly Matoran

Showdown

BZPRPG Profiles

Have you seen my Blog? I understand if you haven't

Most story followers know that there are massive inconsistencies between the original '01-'03 story and the '03 Hapka books. But due to a small legality, the Hapka books are more 'canon' than MNOG. (Apparently none of the story prior to their publishing was approved by the story team. :roll: )Anyway, I like to think that MNOG and the comics from 2001- early (Kal) 2003 were what really happened, and that Bionicle Chronicles 1-3 were a retelling by the Toa to the Matoran. They included supplemental information, but also they fudged the truth a little in order not to scare the Matoran.Proof: While MNOG and one of the McD's comics show multiple Manas in the fight with the Kaita, BC1 (the Toa's retelling to the Matoran) has a different story, and there are only two Manas. Here's a quote from Bionicle Legends 2:

"Manas," Hahli said, shocked. "This is impossible," said Matoro. "The Toa said there were only two of them, and they were driven off. Toa Onua encountered one later on and survived to tell the story. How can there be six?" Two more Manas appeared now, moving to stand by the others. The Matoran they crowded near appeared to take no notice of them. "Eight," said Hewkii. "And maybe Toa can't count?"

So in my mind, when the Toa told the Matoran all about their journeys, they used what are the Chronicles books, and they changed some things to make it less... spooky? for the Matoran.Other things they changed:-The meeting at Kini-Nui-How they got their Golden Kanohi-How they merged into Kaita-How many Manas-How they defeated the Manas.-How they defeated the shadow Toa-How they defeated Makuta (there is no mention)-What was the first swarm to attack Po-Koro-When Pohatu came to save Po-Koro-What Lewa was doing before he lost his powers.-Who found Lewa after his power loss-How the powerless Toa met up. Edited by Zestanor

Has following the story become too complex? Look no further:

How to Follow BIONICLE

A Simple, chronological checklist

UPDATE May 22 2013: Every is now color coded!

Contains every bit of content, organized by story year

Destroying the Vahi inside the MN robot should destroy the entire plane of existence. If if scrambles time inside a physical giant robot, then why shouldn't it scramble time outside it? On the other hand, if you take the Vahi out of the MU, it loses its ability to destroy everything if broken. (There must be some method of turning it off, right?) Also, you don't need a Vahi for time to exist on an existence plane. However, as soon as one is made, it has jurisdiction over all time as long as it remains in its capital (where it was created.)-Lesson learned, Vakama: don't make Masks of Time!

How to Follow BIONICLE

I like to pretend that the silly bit at the end of MoL where a Three Virtues symbol in the floor magically revives Takanuva never happened. I imagined him sort of 'jumping' out of Takutanuva, thus un-merging with him, causing the gate to collapse on Makuta.

Edited by Kumata

Most story followers know that there are massive inconsistencies between the original '01-'03 story and the '03 Hapka books. But due to a small legality, the Hapka books are more 'canon' than MNOG. (Apparently none of the story prior to their publishing was approved by the story team. :roll: )

No, just the web content. The comics and books (and movies) are all fully official. In fact the comics are generally the most official since they've been the common thread through all years until 2011. :)Anyways, on-topic: I have all kinds of different "head-alt-canons" if you will. :P Meaning I don't stick to any one per se, usually it depends on what fanfic series I'm writing in. In my main one, the Paracosmos, I tend to use a lot of the head-canon I really prefer, that I couldn't use in a canon-fit or canon-universe-fitting story. But not always; in my recent Altacosmos story The Islander I was able to use a head-canon for Kapura's teleportation, for example, that I actually like better than what I did in the Paracosmos.And just in general beyond fanfics, I like a lot of headcanon ideas fans have posted in S&T, including a lot from the posts here so far. :) (Especially the Vahi working anywhere; that "retcon" never made sense to me, especially since it was introduced outside the MU, and canonically used outside it.) Edited by bonesiii

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

Can't believe in my first post I forgot to list the two I was going to lol. Both Paracosmos-only (so far :P) among my fanfics.One, that there are some female Matoran among the canonically male elements, and some males among the female ones. It never made sense to me that just because the Ga-Toa for example is female, ALL of that element thus must be, or that Kopaka is male, there couldn't be a female Ko-Matoran. It reminds me of Hasty Generalization fallacy, and a little of certain worse things... and it ruins the potential for future variety.And two, that they eat normally the same way we do, although the canon method I consider an option for emergencies. 'Cuz think about it, if you could enjoy the delicious taste of home-baked fish... or absorb the energy in a purely bland procedure... which would you choose? (Now if all you had to eat tasted bad, you'd like to have the alternative method too, but yeah.)Also my cyberclay protodermis theory I often treat as essentially head-canon (and it's true in all my fanfics BTW, although it rarely plays a noticeable role), so I'm often thinking about how it can be used to answer various story questions people have, heh.

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

I try to ignore the Tohunga -> Matoran names from the beginning and how they were all changed. The Matoran turned out to have those "new" names back in Metru Nui, so there's no reason for that bit to exist. Besides a few mentions of the holiday Naming Day, no one else seemed to mention that later on either, so I guess it's close enough to having been uncanonized. As for my fan fiction, I do my best to fit within the canon.

My Blog

Latest Update: RPG: Character Creation and Stats

My Story Collection

Story Currently in Progress:

End of Yrenta (Review Topic) (Currently at 55 Chapters)

I realize I haven't updated my stories or posted much for quite a while. I will get back it it sometime, and I am still checking the site daily for any interesting topics.

Brickshelf Gallery

The Matoran Universe map only clearly shows already-named islands/continents (well...except the legs, and I think one island in his arm), and when it was revealed, I remember people complaining about how that completely destroyed the possibility of fan-made islands. In my mind, the MU consists of everything there, AND many more islands that weren't shown for some reason.That, and even though I own the Chronicles books, and read them way back when they came out, I consider the MNOLG and Flash animations to be canon, simply because I've played the MNOLG and watched the animations so many times as a kid that they're pretty much ingrained in my head, and much more memorable to me. Plus, I played MNOLG first.

I like to pretend that the silly bit at the end of MoL where a Three Virtues symbol in the floor magically revives Takanuva never happened. I imagined him sort of 'jumping' out of Takutanuva, thus un-merging with him, causing the gate to collapse on Makuta.

Oh yeah, that too. I didn't like that either for some reason.

I try to ignore the Tohunga -> Matoran names from the beginning and how they were all changed.

Yeah, and that. Despite what I just said about playing the MNOLG first, I pretty much pretend the word "Tohunga" never existed in canon. Didn't they change it in MNOLG so they say Matoran instead of Tohunga? Edited by Shinken Green

The Matoran Universe map only clearly shows already-named islands/continents (well...except the legs, and I think one island in his arm), and when it was revealed, I remember people complaining about how that completely destroyed the possibility of fan-made islands. In my mind, the MU consists of everything there, AND many more islands that weren't shown for some reason.

It certainly doesn't "completely destroy" the possibility of fanmade islands. But anyways that inspires me to give another example; in my main (Paracosmos) fanfics there are many more domes than just the canon map. (Exactly how that works is a mystery that will be revealed at the end of my current epic in fact.) So I agree with you about imagining there to be other islands. :)Also the canon map's unlabeled islands, and of course the continents which are largely unexplored in the story, all have plenty of room for canon-fit fanfic stuff. :)

Yeah, and that. Despite what I just said about playing the MNOLG first, I pretty much pretend the word "Tohunga" never existed in canon. Didn't they change it in MNOLG so they say Matoran instead of Tohunga?

Yes, for 2004 they retconned that so that Tohunga, Jala, etc. never existed, and in MNOG they changed it earlier than this simply due to the legal issues. This is another thing I change but in the opposite way as you -- I keep the original canon explanation, with some modification in my main fanfics, so the Tohunga --> Matoran thing is still "headcanon". :) Because let's face it, "Tohunga" is a cool term. ^_^ Edited by bonesiii

In my mind, MNOG is canon (mostly, anyway) and then I use Tale of the Toa to explain the gaps when the Toa were "offstage" in said game. Then I take C.A. Hapka's word as canon (with the Tales of the Masks addition by Greg) until the Mask of Light movie, in which I believe the mask-revival thing as canon just because it's more fun (at least, to speculate about).Like all canons, however, it's archaic and has squeaky wheels. Might need to be modified...

Yeah, and that. Despite what I just said about playing the MNOLG first, I pretty much pretend the word "Tohunga" never existed in canon. Didn't they change it in MNOLG so they say Matoran instead of Tohunga?

Yes, for 2004 they retconned that so that Tohunga, Jala, etc. never existed, and in MNOG they changed it earlier than this simply due to the legal issues. This is another thing I change but in the opposite way as you -- I keep the original canon explanation, with some modification in my main fanfics, so the Tohunga --> Matoran thing is still "headcanon". :) Because let's face it, "Tohunga" is a cool term. ^_^
I like to think Tohunga means villager and Matoran is the species name. That way it's logical that the term "Tohunga" was never used in Metru Nui, but on Mata Nui it was.I liked Jala, Huki and Maku. That's why I simply ignore the new names in 2004-2005.

Can someone please explain to me the differences between MNOLG and the other 2001 media that I'm apparently not aware of? I didn't even know there was a discrepancy in the matter other than the "Shadow Toa" thing, and that wasn't even featured in the MNOLG; that was between Greg and Hapka... :oBut, in regards to the topic, I like to pretend that the Kal saga never happened, that the Nuva Symbols don't exist, and that Jaller's Hahnah was teleported to Metru Nui along with the rest of the Mahri (it was too adorable to let go, and there was no reason for it not to go with them). I also tend to disregard the one-gender elements thing; instead saying that it is simply the more prevalent gender (as in, Ga-Matoran tend to be female more often than male, but there are males).And until we can confirm whether or not there will be any more TYQ and TPTB chapters, I choose not to recgonize them as canon, instead cutting the story off at the end of Shamad's Tale. Don't get me wrong, I love the plots of both stories, but I HATE loose ends. No TYQ and no TPTB make me something something...

Edited by XyzTheDay!
coolbroban.png
| Sig Credit: - Everclear - |

Can someone please explain to me the differences between MNOLG and the other 2001 media that I'm apparently not aware of? I didn't even know there was a discrepancy in the matter other than the "Shadow Toa" thing, and that wasn't even featured in the MNOLG; that was between Greg and Hapka... :o

Right, so the web content (Templar flash stuff) and the comics were the story outlets from 2001 to 2003, at least up to the Kal. Then to heed the hype for the movie, Scholastic produced the Bionicle Chronicles books. They aren't bad books, they're just ... different. For the most part, they line up with the '02 & '03 comics and the Bohrok and Kal web animations. But BC#1 Tale of the Toa has major discrepancies with MNOG. Remember how Lewa got his Gold Kanohi in Le-Koro in MNOG? In BC#1, he and the other Toa received them at Kini-Nui. In fact, from the point when they have collected all their masks till the defeat of Makuta, everything is scrambled up in BC#1. The thing is, MNOG meant business; it wasn't taking liberties. It stuck to the original story bible. Scholastic needed a summary book for 2001, they didn't care about the widely-accepted story. Hapka took liberties when she wanted, like in the Kaita-Manas battle and with the Shadow Toa. But, the Hapka books, being mass-produced items, must considered 'story-team approved.' If you take BS01's word for it, [retcon alert!] the Chronicles books win hands-down. But BIONICLEstory.com summarizes MNOG for the '01 story page, so I guess it took the lead in the end. :)

How to Follow BIONICLE

The Matoran Universe map only clearly shows already-named islands/continents (well...except the legs, and I think one island in his arm), and when it was revealed, I remember people complaining about how that completely destroyed the possibility of fan-made islands. In my mind, the MU consists of everything there, AND many more islands that weren't shown for some reason.

It certainly doesn't "completely destroy" the possibility of fanmade islands. But anyways that inspires me to give another example; in my main (Paracosmos) fanfics there are many more domes than just the canon map. (Exactly how that works is a mystery that will be revealed at the end of my current epic in fact.) So I agree with you about imagining there to be other islands. :)Also the canon map's unlabeled islands, and of course the continents which are largely unexplored in the story, all have plenty of room for canon-fit fanfic stuff. :)
Yeah, I imagine many more domes and islands too. For instance, the MU map I and a group of my friends use in our fanfics is this modified one. I also mentally ignore various really lame things in the storyline, such as Av-Matoran/Bohrok mutations, the pile of things overzealous BZP members forced into the official canon, etc. in my conception of canon.~B~ Edited by Ballom

My idea of the final battle- and Takanuva are the last of the team, with Teridax killing Gali, Kopaka, Lewa, Pohatu, and Onua. -Ackar dies with honor by saving Greah from being crushed by Teridax.

"Literature adds to reality, it does not simply describe it. It enriches the necessary competencies that daily life requires and provides; and in this respect, it irrigates the deserts that our lives have already become,"-C.S. Lewis

I try to ignore the Tohunga -> Matoran names from the beginning and how they were all changed. The Matoran turned out to have those "new" names back in Metru Nui, so there's no reason for that bit to exist. Besides a few mentions of the holiday Naming Day, no one else seemed to mention that later on either, so I guess it's close enough to having been uncanonized. As for my fan fiction, I do my best to fit within the canon.

That's exactly what I always assumed. There's also a bunch of other small details I always assume happened, but never actually did. It's too may to count, but nothing in particular.

I always liked the idea of the Matoran and Agori peacefully merging into one society, (or at least actually doing so), and Berix joining Onu-Matoran to build a massive Archives on Spherus Magna.

dat_logo_newer.png

qs56078.jpg
 My Brickshelf, please don't copy!

... :t: :b: :m_o: :c:...

Looking for shiny Regirock, Articuno, and Virizion!

(Can trade most any legendary for them!)

My 3DS friend list is full, sorry!

The post finale serials never happened.They were interesting and all, but they will probably never be finished and so I'd rather think up my own reveals to mysteries and not have everything hanging like that.

I really like this philosophy. If we just pretend that the serials were never extended past 2010, there's no need to continue them.

Yea, I agree. The arrivals haven't but updated for about a year or so. I think it's best to ignore it until its finished if it ever does.

"Literature adds to reality, it does not simply describe it. It enriches the necessary competencies that daily life requires and provides; and in this respect, it irrigates the deserts that our lives have already become,"-C.S. Lewis

One, that there are some female Matoran among the canonically male elements, and some males among the female ones. It never made sense to me that just because the Ga-Toa for example is female, ALL of that element thus must be, or that Kopaka is male, there couldn't be a female Ko-Matoran. It reminds me of Hasty Generalization fallacy, and a little of certain worse things... and it ruins the potential for future variety.

I have that in my head canon too as well as the three 'female elements' are larger in population in comparison to the other eleven 'male elements' (not including light here). Other wise the ratio is something like for every female there are roughly four males... that's a HUGE difference. So in my head canon the ratio is more 1:2. I also think that MU inhabitants are unable to reproduce is... ridiculous. Since MU inhabitants have gender, I have it in my head that in places that require specific numbers of individuals with particular abilities, they rely on the 'matoran factories' to create a new being. In this instance, I'm thinking of places like Metru-Nui. Where as areas that don't need specific skill sets within individuals rely on actual reproduction to keep the population alive. One last thing, Mata-Nui being an enormous bipedal robot does not sit well with me. I don't see , as a Great Being, why giving the giant robot - that will some day (hopefully) glue back Sepherus Magna together - a Bipedal form is practical. I don't exactly have a proper idea of how mata-Nui actually looks but the giant machine looks more like a spaceship than anything else.
sherlock4.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
We all have certain things about the Bionicle story we would've liked to be otherwise. What kind of explanations or headcanon-things have you invented for yourself, to make the story better in your opinion?I, for example, came up with an explanatio for why all Brotherhood of Makuta members have "Makuta" in front of their names. Makuta is an honorary title. The name of the leader of that brotherhood becomes a title every member use. Teridax, on the other hand, means "leader" or "master" and has been given to the real Makuta for his status. Also, the brotherhood members are not all super-powered masterminds. Only one is Makuta, the others have their own powers.What have you made up?
I always did see it as a statement of power or a title, yeah.But other than that, I think some of the weird mutated forms of characters, while necessary for story and set sales purposes, should have looked a little more "normal" to Bionicle. After a while, they got a little weird sometimes.

Nuparu1995

92% of teens have moved onto rap.

If you are part of the 8% that still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your signature.

320px-0,540,38,392-Batman_memorial.jpg

R.I.P. - 7/20/2012

One new thing that came to mind is the Toa Mahri remaining Mahri, as well as their way of transformation. I like to think that their Mahri forms are sort of diving suits the Inika wear, to enable them to survive underwater. Once back on Metru Nui, they naturally unequipped their water-armor. They can still use the Mahri suits if they go beneath the waves...This head-canon makes the Mahri mini movie much more logical. And Hahli doesn't have to spend eternity as a winged monster.

My idea of the final battle- and Takanuva are the last of the team, with Teridax killing Gali, Kopaka, Lewa, Pohatu, and Onua.-Ackar dies with honor by saving Greah from being crushed by Teridax.
So ... you basically ignore the canonical ending for your own one?
Isn't that how head-canon works?

Eh, sorry to bust that theory up, but The Mutran Chronicles mentions that, during his rule, Miserix specifically called Icarax "Makuta Icarax."

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

Eh, sorry to bust that theory up, but The Mutran Chronicles mentions that, during his rule, Miserix specifically called Icarax "Makuta Icarax."
Um, this topic is not about theories. It's about head-canon.

Oh, my list goes on and on.The Av-Matoran becoming Borahk(Spelled that wrong, sorry.) is a bad idea in my opinion. Av-Matoran have as much chance as becoming Toa as any other Matoran does. I don't like them becoming OCD Beetle Freaks.

Edited by bonesiii
Please watch your language. -bones

WIP

Um, this topic is not about theories. It's about head-canon.
Yeah, guys, I might delete any future posts that miss that. The topic is not asking for what could work in the actual canon but how people imagine things differently than in the canon. Posts that ignore that are kinda spam... Edited by bonesiii