X-Men: Discussion Topic

Krayzikk

I believe the word you are looking for Basilisk is 'neutron bomb'. Very quick burst of neutrons, destroys all organic life and leaves the buildings completely untouched. Radiation wears off in about a week, assuming you go with the clean version.

I would however suggest the robots hide in some sort of lead box, as their sensitive electronics could be... hurt.

voidstars.png

1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89

"In short, my English Lit friend, living in a mental world of absolute rights and wrongs, may be imagining that because all theories are wrong, the earth may be thought spherical now, but cubical next century, and a hollow icosahedron the next, and a doughnut shape the one after." -Isaac Asimov, responding to a letter he had received saying that scientific certainty was false, The Relativity of Wrong

Guys, I was thinking, and judging from the current situation in the RP, do you think it'd be a good idea for either SHIELD or the Enforcers to have a covert/clandestine ops division? A group of soldiers trained for operations too immoral/illegal for the big organizations to carry out in the limelight? It'd be a more conventional special operations team.

That...

That actually isn't a bad idea. Although, since the former Weapon-X spec-ops group is currently allied with the Enforcers (or so I've been led to believe), we may already have one.

Edited by The Zytrix

67tlbk.png

So one for SHIELD then? It would operate on missions too controversial for public SHIELD agents to work on (ie sabotage assassinations, framing, deep enemy ground penetration, etc). It would be both more controversial and more high tech (Halo-y) than the Enforcer Spec Ops due to the nature of their missions and their equipment respectively. Definitely a far cry from the Avengers and Pantheon.

Also, due to the growing number of mutant threats, I've got a new weapon in mind. It would be a portable power dampener, worn as a harness over a suit of powered armor, creating a circular power dampening field with the soldier as the center. If the wearer is a mutant, it'll cancel out their power as well.

Edited by Constructman

It's worth noting, CM, that there really is no such thing as a "public" SHIELD agent. Nor are there public teams. The Avengers, though known to the public, do not hand out their every move. In fact, every SHIELD member on that team has functioned in a spec ops capacity throughout their career. James and Brando's continued references to missions in Asia, for instance.The Pantheon, while less publicly known, have similar capacities. So, while it is not a bad idea, SHIELD doesn't really need a spec ops team. They already have two, and most members of their organization are capable of spec ops anyway. Just because a team is known does not mean they are recognizable, or even noticeable when they work. I should also point out that only two members of the Avengers, and none of the Pantheon members are well known. Nor does either team have any footage or still images of them out there save for some distant shots. Only Noel and Stark are well known or identifiable amongst them.

The best comparison I can make is knowing an assassin exists. You know they exist, but you don't know when, where, or even if they will strike.

fK5oqYf.jpg

On this eve, the thirtieth anniversary of that first colony, many are left to wonder; is the world fast approaching a breaking point?

Breaking Point: An OTC Mecha RPG

Since when was SHIELD strictly moral anyways? They were pretty nasty in some of the Civil War story arcs.

voidstars.png

"In short, my English Lit friend, living in a mental world of absolute rights and wrongs, may be imagining that because all theories are wrong, the earth may be thought spherical now, but cubical next century, and a hollow icosahedron the next, and a doughnut shape the one after." -Isaac Asimov, responding to a letter he had received saying that scientific certainty was false, The Relativity of Wrong

Bah. In a world like this, the only thing the moral high ground is good for is a position for a spotter.

For the biological warfare missile

I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people. You are wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides.

By morally questionable I mean taking the Declaration of Human Rights and the Geneva Convention, ripping both apart, and eating the pieces. I'm talking about the darkest possible for the "good" guys.

That doesn't really exist.To be perfectly blunt, in this game, there are no real heroes. There are no spotless, kind hearted individuals who never have to make controversial choices. The X-Men are supposedly the good guys. But when you actually think about it, they're techincally a terrorist organization that makes use of child soldiers.The Enforcers are a government agency meant to keep the peace, by enforcing registration acts. But mutants and pro-mutant protesters see them as the embodiment of mutant prejudice. The Brotherhood has lofty goals, of a society where mutants are at the very least treated fairly. And in truth, their most fanatical member is Quicksilver himself. They could be the most heroic group, were it not for their methods and their leader's insistence on mutant superiority. SHIELD is a group dedicated to protecting the US, and if you'd payed attention to them around the time of Brando's "death", you'd see that they have no qualms about doing whatever they have to.They already have spec ops capable agents, and they clearly have no regard for morals, and in Marvel canon, not even the law is necessarily enough to stop them from doing what they need to. By your own described standards, there are no heroes because every organization in the game violates every moral and ethical rule there is. Thus, there is no logical reason to make a team specifically for controversial events.

Edited by The Snark Knight

fK5oqYf.jpg

On this eve, the thirtieth anniversary of that first colony, many are left to wonder; is the world fast approaching a breaking point?

We had a guy kill his son (Granted, he got better) so he wouldn't try and stop him from killing his girlfriend so an all-powerful abomination wouldn't be unleashed upon the world again. We had an organization fake one of their agent's death, and let themselves be hacked so a coming issue might be prevented. Heck, we have a character whose entire known backstory consists of forced combat to the death.I'd say we've gotten pretty dark, yeah.

fK5oqYf.jpg

In this world, Demonic Possession is one of the lighter things.

And the side that would commit genocide if given the resources and no other option is considered morally ambiguous, if not outright good. By comparison to what is on the other side.

This setting is pretty freakin dark.

Edited by Basilisk

I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people. You are wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides.

We should really take a grimdark tally at some point. Between the Lovecraft elements, fridge horror, the massive increases in military power (the sentinals were evidently an internal project)....

Edited by Basilisk

Well. I've found the perfect statement to describe the RPG currently.

"It's not the end of the world...but you can see it from here."

Well. I've found the perfect statement to describe the RPG currently.

"It's not the end of the world...but you can see it from here."

I have great love for the song with pretty much the same title.

fridge horror

You mean like what happens when you keep your milk past the expiration date?

Well, that too, but more accurately, it's when you finished watching, reading, playing or experiencing something, and a few hours later, or even days, or possibly years, you're looking in your fridge, and suddenly realize how horrible the implications or actions, or events of what you experienced actually were/could be.

~Totally like a boomerang. I always come back. Just never when you want me to.~

Well, that's the point. Some players *coughShawncough* can't be trusted to know their own characters' strength. Maybe a rigid rating system isn't in order (I wasn't saying it would be rigid), but I think some sort of system to gauge the strength of characters should be used in favor of the "well he/she might be able to lift this much or this much depending on how badly I want to beat this other character up" approach.

Edited by The Zytrix

67tlbk.png

I'm not particularly fond of the idea of a rating system. I suppose I would have to see it in action before I truly said it didn't work, though. That aside, I'm gonna take a second to disagree with the notion that Shawn couldn't be trusted to know his own character's strength. Aside from the one time in the beginning of the RPG when he held on to that pole while everything and it's mother was hitting him, he played well within the established boundaries of his character.

~Totally like a boomerang. I always come back. Just never when you want me to.~

Given that the scale used on telepaths has the highly accurate "make it up" system of doing it, what would be the point in one for strength? I mean what exactly does being a 'level 9 telepath' allow Ashlynn and Rapture to do better than someone who hasn't bothered specifying a rating, like pretty much all the other psychics?

Edited by Lord of Adders Black

7AOYGDJ.jpg

Besides, it isn't that hard to say "this dude can bench n amount" or somesuch for a rough idea of strength.

voidstars.png

I'm not particularly fond of the idea of a rating system. I suppose I would have to see it in action before I truly said it didn't work, though. That aside, I'm gonna take a second to disagree with the notion that Shawn couldn't be trusted to know his own character's strength. Aside from the one time in the beginning of the RPG when he held on to that pole while everything and it's mother was hitting him, he played well within the established boundaries of his character.

Weeeeeeell.... There were other instances than that, but that's neither here nor there. Part of the issue is that there is no set concept for super strength, so it basically amounted to whatever the user thought it should be. Which in Shawn's case, was at times not what everyone else thought it should be.

Given that the scale used on telepaths has the highly accurate "make it up" system of doing it, what would be the point in one for strength? I mean what exactly doing being a 'level 9 telepath' allow Ashlynn and Rapture to do better than someone who hasn't bothered specifying a rating, like pretty much all the other psychics?

Also, pretty much this. Telepathy, though possessing a relative scale at times, doesn't have a set ability scale. So why should strength have one?

If someone abuses their power beyond what they should be able to, the staff can deal with it. While an actual scale could be helpful, it just seems like more trouble than it is actually worth, and it really would just reignite the whole "Profile says" debate again, which would the the third or fourth time now.

fK5oqYf.jpg