BZPRPG News and Discussion

Nuju Metru

Well, I was bored, so I decided to take a look at the approved Kanohi list, and I came up with a few I'd like to petition for approval.

BEHOLD:

NEGOTIABLE KANOHI

Faxon, Mask of Kindred

Mata Nui Rahi aren’t all that powerful, and the basic requirements of the mask seem straightforward enough. I did some digging, though, and noticed the part about how, even with an official list (an incomplete one at that), the Faxon was simply abused too much. I’d love for this mask to be available, but I’m going to assume Nuju is just tired of dealing with the improper playing that came with it. No hard feelings, old chap.

Felnas, Mask of Disruption

OK, the ban on this one’s a little tricky to figure out. The fact that you have to be in physical contact with your target seems like a pretty fair balance.

Shelek, Mask of Silence

Again, I’m puzzled; the part where the user needs to maintain concentration for this power to be in effect should make for a pretty balanced mask.

Crast, Mask of Repulsion

It’s basically just Force Push, that doesn’t seem overpowered, especially when you get to the part where it can only be used on one target at a time.

Kiril, Mask of Regeneration

You know, this could be pretty balanced if it was billed as the inorganic response to the Mask of Healing, as in with the same restrictions.

Mask of Adaptation

A mask that alters the user to suit the environment? That sounds both straightforward and fair. I’m going to assume that the problem is the “combat situations” part also going under this mask’s jurisdiction. But we could easily cut that part out.

Mask of Emulation

Essentially a much weaker version of Vezok’s ability! If someone wanted to use this mask, what would the problem be?

Mask of Biomechanics

Technology is slowly making its way into the BZPRPG, and there’s already a fair amount of tech going around that would be under the influence of this mask. It doesn’t really seem very overpowered, though, if we throw in some sort of requirement that the wielder must have at least a basic understanding of the technology they’re trying to affect.

Mask of Undeath

It’s a pretty straightforward mask, it’s not overpowered as far as I can tell, and it doesn’t seem to allow for any form of metagaming or godmodding? Why is it banned again, too useless?

Mask of Incomprehension

It has both the limit of only lasting for ten minutes, and being countered by the Rau. This seems like a pretty balanced mask. Is BZPtime an issue?

Mahiki, Mask of Illusion

This was available last season, but has since been banned. I’ve been told that the reason was because of how much it was abused. But since we’ve gone the distance of creating Sighteyes, might we consider reapproving this, with similar restrictions as the Sighteye discipline?

Komau, Mask of Mind Control

Very obvious why this was banned, it’s way too easy to abuse. On the other hand, now that we have Willhammers, I suppose we could bring this mask in under similar restrictions as that Menti discipline. That whole “cannot do anything directly against their morals” is a pretty good clincher.

Elda, Mask of Detection

I’m going to assume that it was banned because without the Ignika it is somewhat redundant, but aside from that the Elda’s other ability doesn’t really seem all that overpowered. It can detect invisible or hidden beings, surely that would be irritating, but so is the Sonics/Huna combo.

Garai, Mask of Gravity

This was also available last season, but was banned, which also seems strange to me; its effects seem fairly straightforward. Overpowered, maybe?

Man, it's been slow around here lately, did people just drop off the face of the earth?

Edited by Dr. O

BZPRPG Profiles

Nuparu-Ferron-Mar-Zelvin-Wiremu-Farzan-Mako-Krex-Tamachan-???

Akiri Nuparu Posts:

1. 2. ...

Faxon is a no-no because newer players would be all "lol look I can have all the powers of a rahi at once" and tbh the Masks of emulation and undeath are nerfed so hard no one would use them correctly anyway

Edited by Shuhei Hisagi

BZPRPG Profiles

IC:

"It comes with the job," Halfimus explained, "I'm not paid enough to give anything outside quick flavour descriptions."

So pay me more AuRon.

The reason for the Garai seems fairly simple. It gives the user a second element and it does not draw on the user's EP.

I've always been iffy on referring to the Garai as such. After all, its only explicitly stated abiility is to affect the gravitational pull of a target, that's only one aspect of gravity as an elemental power, but clearly I'm in a minority on this.

BZPRPG Profiles

Akiri Nuparu Posts:

1. 2. ...

I'll try to read the GMs' minds and answer some of those questions.

Well, I was bored, so I decided to take a look at the approved Kanohi list, and I came up with a few I'd like to petition for approval.

BEHOLD:

NEGOTIABLE KANOHI

Faxon, Mask of Kindred

Mata Nui Rahi aren’t all that powerful, and the basic requirements of the mask seem straightforward enough. I did some digging, though, and noticed the part about how, even with an official list (an incomplete one at that), the Faxon was simply abused too much. I’d love for this mask to be available, but I’m going to assume Nuju is just tired of dealing with the improper playing that came with it. No hard feelings, old chap.

Back when the faxon was both allowed and unregulated, I made a list of all the abilities of rahi found on Mata Nui, and found out just how powerful that mask would be. It is true that most of the more powerful ones are from Metru Nui or the southern continent, but even these make up quite a list of useful and interesting powers. In fact, some of the powers duplicate or partially duplicate other masks of elemental sub-powers, which is a big no-no. Here is that list.

Blade burrower - Onu-Wahi - incredible sense of small/hearing

Cave fish – Ga-Wahi – sponge-like absorption of liquid protodermis for expansion

Crystal climber – Ko-Wahi – night vision/traction on slippery surfaces

Dikapi – Po-Wahi – endurance/run for hours on end.

Electric bug/Lightning bug – Le-Wahi - electric shocks

Fader bull – Po-Wahi (?) teleportation away from danger

Ghekula – Le-/Ga-Wahi – amphibious

Hikaki – Ta-Wahi – lava resistence, eat fire?

Hoto bug – Ta-Wahi – heat emission

Kikanalo – Po-Wahi – sonic roar

Lava rat – Ta-Wahi – burst into flames.

Lightning bug – Le-Wahi

Lightfish – Ga-Wahi – emits light

Makika – Po-Wahi – acidic venom, poisonous skin. Used in mining rock

Mud crawler - ? Carnivorous with acidic breath.

Nui-jaga – Po-Wahi - poison

Protodites – split into two when attacked

Ranama – Ta-Wahi – can swim in mp, sticky tounges.

Rockworm – Onu/Po-Wahi – poisonous

Shore Turtle – Le/Ga-Wahi – it can fly.

Spiny stone ape – Po-Wahi – lifts 10 times its own weight.

Stone rat – they eat anything including rocks.

Subterranean worm – Onu-Wahi – huge and navigates by sound.

Tunnel stalker – Po-Wahi – sensing movement.

Vako Ta/Po-Wahi – charge with huge speed/strength

Vatuka – Onu-Wahi – stone blasts, but is it really a rahi?

Felnas, Mask of Disruption

OK, the ban on this one’s a little tricky to figure out. The fact that you have to be in physical contact with your target seems like a pretty fair balance.

This was used by Heuani and Reka to unblockably insta-kill toa characters, and it was meant to be something special for Heuani as a shadow toa / Makuta's dragon. There are two reasons it isn't up for general use.

Kiril, Mask of Regeneration

You know, this could be pretty balanced if it was billed as the inorganic response to the Mask of Healing, as in with the same restrictions.

I'm actually with you on this one. Its absence has confused me for a while, and when asked, Nuju couldn't think of a reason immediately, but just assumed Friar Tuck had a reason for not including it in the original list for the NBZP that subsequent lists have all stemmed from.

Mask of Adaptation

A mask that alters the user to suit the environment? That sounds both straightforward and fair. I’m going to assume that the problem is the “combat situations” part also going under this mask’s jurisdiction. But we could easily cut that part out.

I think the issue here could be that the ability isn't very well defined, and that makes it wide open for interpretation by the players using it, and so, exploitation and over-poweredness. This could be fixed with some effort by the staff, but I think they probably have better things to do (even for the game. I for one would rather see an exciting post than an explanation of an obscure mask).

Mask of Emulation

Essentially a much weaker version of Vezok’s ability! If someone wanted to use this mask, what would the problem be?

Weaker how? From what I've read, they're exactly the same. And Vezok's ability is crazy-powerful. He can use multiple elements at once, for crying out loud! I haven't been following the Ta-Koro fight too closely, but how many butts has Vezok kicked so far? That ability is only in the game because the staff gave to to one player they knew they could trust. That is very different to opening it up to everyone.

Mask of Undeath

It’s a pretty straightforward mask, it’s not overpowered as far as I can tell, and it doesn’t seem to allow for any form of metagaming or godmodding? Why is it banned again, too useless?

It allows god-modding because a character using it can ignore their pain, weaknesses and any damage dealt to them. After all, if you're already dead, what does it matter if you have a house dropped on you? You just climb out, maybe breaking a few more bones in the process (but it's not like you'll be needing them for much longer anyway) and keep going.

Mahiki, Mask of Illusion

This was available last season, but has since been banned. I’ve been told that the reason was because of how much it was abused. But since we’ve gone the distance of creating Sighteyes, might we consider reapproving this, with similar restrictions as the Sighteye discipline?

The issue with re-introducing a mask with different restrictions than it had before is that it screws up the continuity. If a character once used a mahiki to escape a certain situation using the old guidelines and again finds themselves in that same situation, IC logic says they do the same thing they did last arc, but OOC they can't. Problems.

A mask that causes paralysis is a bit unusual too. kanohi limitations are normally on what a user can do with the power, not on what happens to them when they do. It wouldn't gel with other mask powers in that form. As a Dasaka power, on the other hand, it makes sense and gives the Dasaka a point of difference from Mata-Nuian powers.

Elda, Mask of Detection

I’m going to assume that it was banned because without the Ignika it is somewhat redundant, but aside from that the Elda’s other ability doesn’t really seem all that overpowered. It can detect invisible or hidden beings, surely that would be irritating, but so is the Sonics/Huna combo.

It isn't so much overpowered as potentially plot-breaking. An Elda-user might find things that are not ready to be found, like for example, the keeping-place from last arc (if it can think, it would count as a hidden being). It might even be able to detect any beings in the Vault, or whatever bit of Makuta remains to talk to Mata Nui, and those are secrets that need to be earned through plot, not power.

Edited by The Lorax

ppg2.png

Protodites are the Bionicle version of bacteria, the only reason we ever saw one was because of the Mask of Life wanting a guardian.

Also, I'm fairly certain that Fader Bulls were a Metru-nui exclusive rahi. I think they were said to have Matoran level intelligence.

Aside from that, yeah. The Faxon is a very good way around the "One main power, One minor power" limit.

"I serve the weak. I serve the helpless. I am their sword and their shield. If you want to strike at them, you must go through me, and I am not so easily moved."

zsUPm2E.jpg?1

Mask of Undeath

It allows god-modding because a character using it can ignore their pain, weaknesses and any damage dealt to them. After all, if you're already dead, what does it matter if you have a house dropped on you? You just climb out, maybe breaking a few more bones in the process (but it's not like you'll be needing them for much longer anyway) and keep going.

I wholeheartedly agree with this. In playing with Goran, a staff approved zombie, I have found that he can be very OP in fights. There was one time when Syvra created a cloud of hallucinogens to try and stop Goran. Goran walked through it. Another time someone tried to electrocute him. He shrugged it off.

I used to have a banner here.

But that RPG is dead.

What now?

Protodites are the Bionicle version of bacteria, the only reason we ever saw one was because of the Mask of Life wanting a guardian.

Also, I'm fairly certain that Fader Bulls were a Metru-nui exclusive rahi. I think they were said to have Matoran level intelligence.

Aside from that, yeah. The Faxon is a very good way around the "One main power, One minor power" limit.

Yeah, fair cop. I made that list a long time ago (within the first few weeks of the BZPIII) so it is possible I got my facts wrong. I was rather noobish back then.

The protodites were there because they were rahi on Mata Nui, not necessarily because I ever intended to use the power. The user has to know of the rahi in order to copy them, and I don't think it would be reasonable for any faxon-user to know of the all. The tunnel stalker, for example, has only been seen once in living memory.

On the Fader Bulls, I couldn't find any mention of them on Mata Nui, so I suppose I was wrong there. I just checked BS01 and there's nothing about their intelligence. Were you thinking of the Artakha bulls instead? They were suppose to be real smart.

ppg2.png

I think the main reasons that these mask powers are not permitted are:1.) Some of them are completely OP (i.e. the Garai, Mask of Undeath) 2.) It would be quite tedious for staff to have to sift through all the times a mask power is misused, which would happen a lot if the listed masks above were allowed. All in all, I feel your pain about not being able to use awesome masks such as the Mahiki or Shelek, but we just have to accept the reasoning behind it.

On the Fader Bulls, I couldn't find any mention of them on Mata Nui, so I suppose I was wrong there. I just checked BS01 and there's nothing about their intelligence. Were you thinking of the Artakha bulls instead? They were suppose to be real smart.

Probably, I forgot there was a difference.

"I serve the weak. I serve the helpless. I am their sword and their shield. If you want to strike at them, you must go through me, and I am not so easily moved."

zsUPm2E.jpg?1

I cracked a rib laughing at Nuju's post.I suppose since these masks have a high potential to be misused, the staff would rather not have them, as tracking and punishing each misuse would be seriously tiring. Although we are getting less and less new players(not newbies. We have quite a lot still, like myself.).Kiril is probably he only one the staff might consider. Even then, it's quote obscure and many player's won't use it.

Shelek, Mask of Silence Again, I’m puzzled; the part where the user needs to maintain concentration for this power to be in effect should make for a pretty balanced mask.

Clearly the problem at hand is that of uniqueness. Sulov already has its power.

[Profiles]

Cropped.png.611b6f973fd434d0847c1fdaa53ac881.png

Wisdom. Restraint. Emptiness. 

Mask of Emulation Essentially a much weaker version of Vezok’s ability! If someone wanted to use this mask, what would the problem be?

Weaker how? From what I've read, they're exactly the same. And Vezok's ability is crazy-powerful. He can use multiple elements at once, for crying out loud! I haven't been following the Ta-Koro fight too closely, but how many butts has Vezok kicked so far? That ability is only in the game because the staff gave to to one player they knew they could trust. That is very different to opening it up to everyone.

While i do not agree with why you are saying the mask is overpowered i do agree that it is not good for the game and i will provide my reasoning

From Biosector01 article on the mask of emulation

The Mask of Emulation is a Kanohi that allows its user to replicate any one power of another sapient being for a short time by analyzing and duplicating it, as long as the user sees the power in use. The length of the process varies, depending on the power analyzed. When copied, the ability becomes like a temporary mask power to the Kanohi user. The user cannot copy Rahi powers, other Kanohi powers, or the powers of a weapon. If the user deactivates the copied power, they will have to recopy it, though the copying time will be shorter.

See there are several main diferences between Vezok's power of emulation and The mask's version. First off the mask user has to take time to copy the power and if thier concentration is disrupted they don't get to copy it where as from the looks of it Vezok merely has to be hit by said power to copy it. Second the mask of emulation can only copy one power at a time at least that is what i am understanding from what the article says when it refers to "If the user deactivates the copied power, they will have to recopy it, though the copying time will be shorter." To me this sounds like to copy another power they have to deactivate the current copied power. So yeah it appears that it does not allow for multiple powers at once.

Mask of Undeath It’s a pretty straightforward mask, it’s not overpowered as far as I can tell, and it doesn’t seem to allow for any form of metagaming or godmodding? Why is it banned again, too useless?

Ah yes.. well i will admit that just because they can not feel pain or any of those other hassles they can no ignore 'any' damage dealt to them. Essentially they are a zombie and how does one deal with a zombie? Simple you remove the limbs and or the head.. Yeah there head may still live untill you remove the mask of undeath from their heads then they no longer live. There are ways to kill a character using a mask of undeath..

So yeah now that i gave my tiny amount of input i will merely wait for the recoil or backlash

u9et1dt.gif

Banner made by Onaku

BZPRPG CHARACTERS

Syvra-Tivanu

If you interact with one of my characters and I don't respond or acknowledge the interaction within a day, send me a PM. Odds are I missed or did not see the post.

Vezok's ability requires for him to be near the copied power for a certain amount of time before he can use it. I would assume this requires a certain amount of concentration to do so.

If one could break his concentration it would most likely prevent him from copying the power.

zsUPm2E.jpg?1

Vezok's ability requires for him to be near the copied power for a certain amount of time before he can use it. I would assume this requires a certain amount of concentration to do so.

If one could break his concentration it would most likely prevent him from copying the power.

Hmm.. so he breaks away from canon Vezok even in regards to his power.. interesting indeed

u9et1dt.gif

Banner made by Onaku

BZPRPG CHARACTERS

Syvra-Tivanu

If you interact with one of my characters and I don't respond or acknowledge the interaction within a day, send me a PM. Odds are I missed or did not see the post.

He also had the ability to absorb the powers of any creature in close proximity, store them, and then used them himself later on. He could only store a power for a few hours, but was capable of absorbing more than one power at once.

Quote from BS01.

The time needed to copy the stuff just makes sense from a gameplay and overall standpoint. The concentration part is more me making guesses about it.

zsUPm2E.jpg?1

He also had the ability to absorb the powers of any creature in close proximity, store them, and then used them himself later on. He could only store a power for a few hours, but was capable of absorbing more than one power at once.

Quote from BS01.

The time needed to copy the stuff just makes sense from a gameplay and overall standpoint. The concentration part is more me making guesses about it.

Hmm.. yeah i will admit the concentration makes sense.. but still good to know for this whole time i assumed he had to be hit with the power.. Though i must ask one thing..

In the Ta-koro fight with Vezok he was able to teleport.. does this mean he can copy even mask powers?

u9et1dt.gif

Banner made by Onaku

BZPRPG CHARACTERS

Syvra-Tivanu

Ah ok..

Also on a completely seperate note i am trying to remember something.. Are rahkshi actually afraid of mauka or just more of a rival type thing?

u9et1dt.gif

Banner made by Onaku

BZPRPG CHARACTERS

Syvra-Tivanu

I think defeat may be too strong a word. Yes, the new masks won't be introduced any time soon, and "negotiable" was a bit pretentious, but you made several good points and generated a day's worth of interesting discussion. Nobody is losing out in that, I think. Things might not be as good as they could have been, but they are still better than they were for us having discussed the matter. (More than) a few of us know more than we did yesterday about kanohi, vezok, this game, and BIONICLE in general, and that looks like a victory from where I'm sitting.

ppg2.png

Hmm.. well i will keep this in mind. Wonder if an reanimated Mauka would be just as good..

Oh and also this may be one of the best posts i have written as Syvra

u9et1dt.gif

Banner made by Onaku

BZPRPG CHARACTERS

Syvra-Tivanu

OOC: Spent about a good four hours working on this post..

O_O

This brings to mind a question: How much time do you guys spend planning and writing your posts? How often do you post?

My way is simply checking if there is any interaction going on with my characters and if there is, I post immediately. It usually doesn't take more than a minute to get a post done. :P There are exceptions though.

Also, I've got a lot of work to do with my studies and all, but my frequent posting rate is thanks to this forum being constantly open in an internet browser. I check it often just to take a tiny break from studying and let my brain relax.

O_O

This brings to mind a question: How much time do you guys spend planning and writing your posts? How often do you post?

My way is simply checking if there is any interaction going on with my characters and if there is, I post immediately. It usually doesn't take more than a minute to get a post done. :P There are exceptions though.

Also, I've got a lot of work to do with my studies and all, but my frequent posting rate is thanks to this forum being constantly open in an internet browser. I check it often just to take a tiny break from studying and let my brain relax.

Well i will usually post when there is interaction going on such as like with viima and tivanu.. But time wise it is usually pretty quick to post one but sometimes with long ones like that it takes awhile as i try to think it through thoroughly.

u9et1dt.gif

Banner made by Onaku

BZPRPG CHARACTERS

Syvra-Tivanu

You got to admire him. Such simplicity, such eloquence and grace in ten words or less...To answer The Lorax's question, I do my best to be clear and pay special attention to descriptions. Unless in a rush. I have learned to write in three minutes before my school's computer auto-logs me out, so....For longer posts, I simply open a Word document or my tablet's notepad and just write and write. I check for Grammar, then Ctrl-C, Ctrl-V.So, a typical, average post usually takes five-ish minutes to crank out, in total. I post maybe 2 posts a day on an average, active day.Also, Geardirector, you created an interesting and creative discussion on a slow day. That's not defeat.

Guys, a thought

You know the conversations between Mata Nui and Makuta in Kini-Nui?

Well, I was thinking, how, exactly, did Makuta communicate with Mata Nui if he was banished into a legend?

So then I came upon the following idea.

What if it's not actually Makuta, but Zuto Nui, the Dasaka's Great Spirit, or maybe Zuto Nui is Makuta in disguise, or an equally evil force.

BZPRPG Profiles

Akiri Nuparu Posts:

1. 2. ...

O_O This brings to mind a question: How much time do you guys spend planning and writing your posts? How often do you post? My way is simply checking if there is any interaction going on with my characters and if there is, I post immediately. It usually doesn't take more than a minute to get a post done. :P There are exceptions though. Also, I've got a lot of work to do with my studies and all, but my frequent posting rate is thanks to this forum being constantly open in an internet browser. I check it often just to take a tiny break from studying and let my brain relax.

I'm off and on quite a bit throughout the day, so I keep pretty up-to-date with my characters, but I don't often post immediate replies when interacting. It depends on what's going on; if it's something simple, like dialogue, I usually write my posts on-site, and take maybe five to fifteen minutes to do so.

If it's something that requires a more in-depth, story-type post (like this), I usually write in a Word document and copy/paste later on. Such posts take me between one and two hours on average, sometimes more. I'm a perfectionist, see, and I like my posts to have a 'professional' feel to them.

Character profiles are the worst, though; I regularly spend multiple days on them. In terms of hours, that comes out to at least six.