Bzprpg News And Discussion

Friar Tuck

Holiday events ARE a custom here.

We all play this game a bit more.

And on Mata Nui, every day is just about holiday. I mean, which player here has a character who actually has a job? (Excluding Military)

Following that train of thinking: how has every character on the island not died of liver failure yet?

And how does the Mata Nui economy support itself if it's main businesses seem to be solely based around food and accommodation?

[ BZPRPG ]

Holiday events are not a custom!!!Were you here last Christmas? I'm pretty sure I had a character chasing down an evil Joske, not celebrating a holiday that doesn't exist IG.Naming day is completely different, being non-religious and overall completely unlike Christmas!!!

BZPRPG Profiles

IC:

"It comes with the job," Halfimus explained, "I'm not paid enough to give anything outside quick flavour descriptions."

So pay me more AuRon.

Holiday events are not a custom!!!Were you here last Christmas? I'm pretty sure I had a character chasing down an evil Joske, not celebrating a holiday that doesn't exist IG.Naming day is completely different, being non-religious and overall completely unlike Christmas!!!

Oh really?

Naming Day typically involves Matoran having their name altered due to their good deeds. Having their name changed is a rare privilege for a Matoran, and there aren't many Matoran who have received the honor. However, most Matoran enjoyed Naming Days because they meant a day off of work.

On Metru Nui, ceremonies were held in the Coliseum, Knowledge Towers would open their observatories to all, and a few lucky Matoran had life-sized stone statues of themselves created. Present-giving is also a part of Naming Day, although this practice was followed more on Metru Nui than Mata Nui. Matoran legend has it that on Naming Days in Metru Nui, Mata Nui would fly through the chutes, giving presents to all good Matoran.

- Vorex

Edited by Simply Vorex

lineupnewestest.png
[BZPRPG PROFILES]

Nikarra - Kaelynn - Ronan - Muir - Donal Aerus - Montague - Kira - KouraLearu - Alteora - Fuacht - Caana Nessen - Merrill

He speaks the truth, mostly.

profiles i guess

i'm a south american giant otter now

By the way, I'm not arguing in favour of Christmas events -- I've already said I dislike them -- I just want to point out that there were obvious references to what we call Christmas in the description of the Naming Day celebration.

- Vorex

lineupnewestest.png
[BZPRPG PROFILES]

Nikarra - Kaelynn - Ronan - Muir - Donal Aerus - Montague - Kira - KouraLearu - Alteora - Fuacht - Caana Nessen - Merrill

I memorized them before I joined, being the nervous noob that I am and all.

Same with me, although I read the rules of the previous years of the BZPRPG that I never joined (But was about to!) about 8 times, and then of course, even more for this version's rules, and then the memorization.

And Yet still I made horribly noobish posts. <_<

And on the note of Christmas holiday: DON'T DO IT GUYS! If you do anything that references christmas, you will get on the naughty list! :P

But that doesn't mean I'm against having a large scale battle ON ICE! WITH SNOWBALLS! We need to have this happen!

But no Christmas. Or Cats will get punched.

Visit www.BZPRPG.com to view my project of archiving BZPower's RPGs, and also access the BZPower Roleplaying Wiki

BZPRPG Profiles - Ghosts Of Bara Magna Profiles

Exo-Force RPG Profiles - Six Kingdoms: Apocalypse (Knichou, Berys, Arnex, The Taku, Exuze)

Too bad we're not on Metru-Nui, Vorex. I'd expected you'd be intelligent enough to realize that.

Well, you thought right. I do realise that. I'm just pointing out that Naming Day is not 'completely unlike Christmas'.

Seeing as this has turned into just a conversation between the two of us, I won't be posting about it here anymore. If you want to continue the discussion, you can PM me.

- Vorex

lineupnewestest.png
[BZPRPG PROFILES]

On an irrelevant note, I found out a little late that Mef is "taking a huge step back from the RPs" by not using all but one of his characters, and odds are that one character isn't the businessman one he's using for me XD...And when I posted a couple days ago I set it up to where he pretty much has to respond...so now I'm basically stuck until he responds unless I can think of a way to get out of the conversation logically and without godmodding XD. And then it looks like I'll become a nomad or something until I find something to do. =P

Edited by Voutok S'Tythe (Ray)

Behind this sucky post count, a writer and hardcore RPer lies in wait of a reason to post...

For those who will likely ask when reading some of my non-RP posts: for me, "*shot*' = "I know that what I said was something stupid and I am acknowledging this before people think I'm serious."

Oh yeah, and my current BZPRPG character bio can be found here.

"Why...me? Oh yeah, that's right. I'm weak. I'm of a minority, a minority of people with a common trait: we hear too much. And what we're supposed to hear hurts to hear. When I'm alone in a silent room, I can hear a pebble dropping from a mile away. I can hear a motor boat being started up several yards off the coast. A whisper from outside, I can hear as if they were talking right at me. An explosion in another koro, I hear as if it's just outside. Sounds useful, right?"

"Wrong."

"It's a curse, if you ask me. The same pen dropping inside this aforementioned silent room would ring in my ears. If I stood by the same motor, I'd get a headache. The same whisper would ring in my ear like two metal beams being slammed together in front of my face. The same explosion would render me deaf for years...thank the Spirit I thought of getting me something to dampen the noise, or I'd end up like the rest of my kind..."

~Voutok S'Tythe; unknown date, unknown location

I love how everyone jumped on how I phrased my comment and totally ignored the rest...

Welcome to the BZPRPG :P

Visit www.BZPRPG.com to view my project of archiving BZPower's RPGs, and also access the BZPower Roleplaying Wiki

Exo-Force RPG Profiles - Six Kingdoms: Apocalypse (Knichou, Berys, Arnex, The Taku, Exuze)

Guys, guys, GUYS. I haz a good idea. Why don't we, as the player-base, instead of bickering about importing real-life festivals, come up with a set of holidays/festivals for the BZPRPG and put them forward to Nuju? I think that the game could do with some regular events of this kind; they shouldn't be any more than loosely inspired by real-life festivals, but you'd think that the Matoran would have come up with things other than Naming Day to keep up the morale... My suggestion for a list of festivals would be:

• [*]Naming Day: as seen in canon, a day when Matoran are granted longer names in recognition of brave deeds. This has no set date; it happens when the Turaga decide to reward Matoran, typically after a great event.[*]Autumn Feast: this takes place at the end of the Matoran's harvest (around real-life Halloween) when a great feast is held in each Koro to celebrate, and all are invited to share the feast. The purpose of this feast is both to enjoy the fruits of the harvest and to thank Mata Nui for it. It is at this time that the Matoran art of Tuka-Carving is practised; Tuka are large vegetables which are hollowed out and carved into faces and other designs, before a Lightstone is placed inside to cause the carvings to glow.[*]Frostfair: this takes place in Mata-Nui's midwinter (due to the seasonal ambiguity of the island, this is the rare time when snow can be found not only in Ko-Wahi, but in Onu, Le and Ga as well, Ta and Po being too hot all year round) and the year's biggest Huai Snowball Sling is held in Ko-Koro, as well as a great Fair from which the festival takes its name. At this fair, craftsmen from all over Mata Nui gather to sell winter-themed trinkets to those who visit Ko-Koro; this is a rare time when most Ko-Matoran drop their usual solemnity and seclusion. (This takes place around real-life Christmas)[*]Mata Day: held on the anniversary of the Toa Mata's disappearance; a solemn day of remembrance for all Mata Nui's lost heroes. A service is held in each Koro by its Turaga, in front of the Suva.

Any thoughts?

Edited by Ghosthands

sig_panel_bzprpg.pngsig_panel_profiles.pngsig_panel_flickr.pngsig_panel_steam.pngsig_panel_n7.png

Great concept Ghosthands! But we all know what this will bring. Another contest! I hope, sorta.

But the thing is, I like the concept of having certain holidays official, but not ones who have too much resemblance to RL holidays. And I doubt Makuta would allow any of these to happen without a massacre. And of course, if this happens, I would have to make a Mass-Murder at the Autumn Feast, because I particularly hate that holiday, for personal reasons.

I don't really see way we'd need a contest to approve holidays, of all things Just RP them in the game and if people like the idea more will get involved in it and make references to it and them you got a new bit of canon on your hands! No need to go bugging the staff with a ton of stuff to approve, they have their hands busy enough with major-location destruction permission requests and special power approvals as it is. ;)

Edited by Javert

Javert is right (for once, since he's not hunting 24601). It's like any other player-run event: We want to do it, we do it, people join. Not every island-wide event needs to have staff approval -- that's stupid. If we have the creativity and someone to lead the event we should do it ourselves. That simple.

I'm still stuck on the fact that people have managed to turn something as simple as a BZPRPG Christmas event into another small-scale flame war.

Kind of disgusted. Not going to lie.

-Tyler

SAY IT ONE MORE TIME 

TELL ME WHAT IS ON YOUR MIND

Javert is right (for once, since he's not hunting 24601). It's like any other player-run event: We want to do it, we do it, people join. Not every island-wide event needs to have staff approval -- that's stupid. If we have the creativity and someone to lead the event we should do it ourselves. That simple.

I would agree, but it seems nowadays that only Nuju, Tuck and myself can lead events without several people complaining about it or otherwise heavily criticizing it. I do agree that carbon-copying RL holidays is not as good as creating holidays based around the BZPRPG's universe. If you all could come up with such an event without us staff having to step in and declare something "official", I think that would be awesome.

Also: Thanks to the people who have been taking their side-convos to PM. Makes me smile. :)

Edited by Emzee

"hey girl: here’s an idea, but… it’s up to you:

You’re the boss of this operation."

[BZPRPG Profile] [Ghosts of Bara Magna Profile]

"Then why attack Le-Koro?" the doctor said. "It would raise suspicions, wouldn't it?""It would," Ambages said. "It would be an unknown and would bewilder Mata Nui's militaries. It would create a distraction that will allow us to move to Ko-Wahi quietly. The shattering of Xa-Koro coupled with an attack of Xa-Koronan men on mainland soil would create xenophobia and would stir suspicion to those who remain faithful to the Great Spirit."

An army without meaning marches.

"Then why attack Le-Koro?" the doctor said. "It would raise suspicions, wouldn't it?""It would," Ambages said. "It would be an unknown and would bewilder Mata Nui's militaries. It would create a distraction that will allow us to move to Ko-Wahi quietly. The shattering of Xa-Koro coupled with an attack of Xa-Koronan men on mainland soil would create xenophobia and would stir suspicion to those who remain faithful to the Great Spirit."

And so the end begins... even though it technically started a long time before that. :P

*Destroys a Detailed model of an 18th century sailing ship*

Uh oh. I'm going to try to silently keep all my characters in Le-Koro away from this.

Oh, really? I had no idea. I thought you had to go to the first page of the topic and copy the url...

[/sarcasm]

Yeah, thanks Otter, I know that :P But if use the 'quick reply' and you don't refresh the page before copying the link, it gives you the wrong URL. Hence the confusion.

sig_panel_bzprpg.pngsig_panel_profiles.pngsig_panel_flickr.pngsig_panel_steam.pngsig_panel_n7.png

Guys, guys, GUYS. I haz a good idea. Why don't we, as the player-base, instead of bickering about importing real-life festivals, come up with a set of holidays/festivals for the BZPRPG and put them forward to Nuju? I think that the game could do with some regular events of this kind; they shouldn't be any more than loosely inspired by real-life festivals, but you'd think that the Matoran would have come up with things other than Naming Day to keep up the morale... My suggestion for a list of festivals would be:

• [*]Naming Day: as seen in canon, a day when Matoran are granted longer names in recognition of brave deeds. This has no set date; it happens when the Turaga decide to reward Matoran, typically after a great event.[*]Autumn Feast: this takes place at the end of the Matoran's harvest (around real-life Halloween) when a great feast is held in each Koro to celebrate, and all are invited to share the feast. The purpose of this feast is both to enjoy the fruits of the harvest and to thank Mata Nui for it. It is at this time that the Matoran art of Tuka-Carving is practised; Tuka are large vegetables which are hollowed out and carved into faces and other designs, before a Lightstone is placed inside to cause the carvings to glow.[*]Frostfair: this takes place in Mata-Nui's midwinter (due to the seasonal ambiguity of the island, this is the rare time when snow can be found not only in Ko-Wahi, but in Onu, Le and Ga as well, Ta and Po being too hot all year round) and the year's biggest Huai Snowball Sling is held in Ko-Koro, as well as a great Fair from which the festival takes its name. At this fair, craftsmen from all over Mata Nui gather to sell winter-themed trinkets to those who visit Ko-Koro; this is a rare time when most Ko-Matoran drop their usual solemnity and seclusion. (This takes place around real-life Christmas)[*]Mata Day: held on the anniversary of the Toa Mata's disappearance; a solemn day of remembrance for all Mata Nui's lost heroes. A service is held in each Koro by its Turaga, in front of the Suva.

Any thoughts?

I like this. I actually feel like saving this, and using it in my own storyline.