Trans Blue Kaukau limited to 200 pieces

I wasn't saying that, just that from what other people are saying, it's not like they're showing the fan base much (if any) respect.

How is Lego showing the Bionicle community any less respect than their other fanbases? By making an exclusive mask?

I don't get why people are getting to so worked up about this. Yes, this is a really cool piece and I'd love to have one myself, but some people are acting like making this mask exclusive to an event is some kind of evil new concept that Lego came up with.

First off, many people (me included) are unable to part take in such events, there for  at the very best we could try our luck on the online market place where money-hungry sellers can leech a ton of money off (I'm looking at you E-bay sellers) of us just because we want to be faithful fans to the old series or because some are newcomers and really got into the current series and wanting to complete their collection. By limiting it to such little number and releasing it at an event that will most likely have VIPs mainly (who  I'm a 100% sure will get their masks) "common" fans are left with a feeling as if the company is just favoring some more than others. Making exclusive items is not a bad thing, but when you pretty much shut out a good 90% of the fan-base from the chance of even looking at one then you have a problem.

But Bionicle literally just came out. Exclusives aren't good for anyone.

This is also a decent point, they are rushing these exclusives way too fast.

I'm surprised people think this is a "jerk move" by LEGO. It's not like this is a new idea. In 2001 we had the solid gold Hau, limited to around 30 copies. 2003 had the SSKK, with only 72 available to the public, and the WMKK at 3000 copies (granted, considerably more, but still a very limited release). In a more similar vein to the trans-blue 2015 Kaukau would be the VMKK and GPKK, given out only to the lucky few in the Bionicle Van Tour and the Proto Squad in 2003.

The point is, LEGO has always done exclusive releases. This is just the latest one. It's unfortunate that only a few people will be able to get such a nice piece (unless, as previously mentioned, it's released later on a wider scale), but there will be more releases like this up for grabs in the future.

Most of those were either done via giveaway or distributed randomly among $8 sets.  This Mask of Water would run you about $2200 apiece, not including travel expenses.  Or it would, if you already signed up, because you can't anymore.

• Upvote 1

OpAXNpl.jpg

I'm surprised people think this is a "jerk move" by LEGO. It's not like this is a new idea. In 2001 we had the solid gold Hau, limited to around 30 copies. 2003 had the SSKK, with only 72 available to the public, and the WMKK at 3000 copies (granted, considerably more, but still a very limited release). In a more similar vein to the trans-blue 2015 Kaukau would be the VMKK and GPKK, given out only to the lucky few in the Bionicle Van Tour and the Proto Squad in 2003.

The point is, LEGO has always done exclusive releases. This is just the latest one. It's unfortunate that only a few people will be able to get such a nice piece (unless, as previously mentioned, it's released later on a wider scale), but there will be more releases like this up for grabs in the future.

Most of those were either done via giveaway or distributed randomly among $8 sets.  This Mask of Water would run you about $2200 apiece, not including travel expenses.  Or it would, if you already signed up, because you can't anymore.

Are you serious??? I change my mind. If someone is paying that much for the tour then they should get something ultra-exclusive. 

• Upvote 2

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

Are you serious??? I change my mind. If someone is paying that much for the tour then they should get something ultra-exclusive. 

Like a tour?

• Upvote 3

OpAXNpl.jpg

Like a tour?

Sure.

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

This is awesome, and I hope I'll be getting one when I attend the LEGO Inside Tour later this month! The Mask of Water is my favorite mask, after all, and the new Gali is my favorite Toa. However, even if I don't have a chance at getting one (like if they move onto another mask, or if the whole exclusive mask offer is only for the first Inside Tour group this year — the "188 out of 200" numbering is a bit ominous), I won't be complaining.

I have never had a lot of sympathy for complaints about exclusives being... well, exclusive. Often, with exclusives like this, it's a choice between these being produced for exclusive giveaways and not being produced at all, and nobody would be any better off if they weren't produced at all. And yet, any time there's an exclusive of any kind, you see these kinds of complaints.

I'm just happy that this exists as a special souvenir for the people who are lucky enough to get their hands on one. If I don't get one, it wouldn't be the first time I've missed out on a BIONICLE mask, but that's OK, because I understand that not everything can be available to everybody. I actually feel even happier to know that my favorite BIONICLE mask was considered special enough to be used as a souvenir item at this event.

Finally, let's not get ahead of ourselves in assuming there were in fact only 200 made. The transparent Tahu masks given out at the LEGO VIP event at NYCC last year said were numbered "out of only 100 made", but we know that there were actually 1500 of those if not more (the ones given out at the con itself were even marked as such, though they were not numbered individually). This could be a similar case, where the "X/200" numbering applies to the packaging and not to the mask, and the mask itself will be distributed in greater numbers through other means.

Note that last year's Inside Tour set was also distributed through two other exclusive giveaways (presumably without the exclusive Inside Tour packaging, which includes pictures of the tour group itself).

Just because you don't consider it a problem doesn't mean it isn't one. Many people I know are outraged that this mask was not only an exclusive, but an incredibly niche one.

Your response to this was basically "I'm getting one so who cares what the rest of you commoners think".

Your words, not mine. You're clearly making some huge assumptions about me, and you couldn't be more wrong. I would like an apology for this insulting post, and I hope you have the dignity to offer one.

First of all, I was quite clear about the fact that I don't even know if I'll be getting one of these. Maybe it was just for the first tour of the month, who knows? And as I also pointed out, we don't know whether these will actually be exclusive to the Inside Tour or if that only applies to the ones in the special LEGO Inside Tour packaging. After all, the packages for the transparent Tahu masks at the NYCC VIP event were numbered "out of 100 produced", but the packages given out at the con itself were clear about there being at LEAST 1500 produced, so that means the number on the VIP event masks referred to the whole package, not the mask itself.

But furthermore, I would not be pitching a fit even if I didn't get one because that's not the kind of person I am. If you look at my posts on other sites you will see that this is my attitude towards ALL exclusive items, whether or not they're ones that I will ever have a chance to own. That is to say, I respect that they are a special thing for the people who ARE lucky enough to be able to own them. Better that they exist for some people than that they not exist for anyone. There's no reason for me to act as if my own collection is less valuable just because things exist that I will never own.

Acting as if an item being rare or exclusive shows that LEGO doesn't respect the value that item has to fans (as you implied with your suggestion that making a Gali mask like this so exclusive is "sexist") is patently ridiculous. After all, the most exclusive items this year are the 14-karat gold masks which are being given out as contest prizes, and those are exclusive specifically because of their value. Nobody would argue that making those gold masks so exclusive means LEGO doesn't respect their fans or the desirability of these masks. What makes this so different?

Edited by Aanchir
  • Upvote 5

This is also a decent point, they are rushing these exclusives way too fast.

What's that even supposed to mean? Bionicle had exclusives when it launched in 2001 too.

It means that the golden mask contest barely passed and we got the hero pack and when that barely ended we got the Mask hut which is ending soon and now this. I don't think Bionicle needs this many exclusives and specials to advertise it, that's what I meant by it being rushed, it's like they're pushing everything out they have in the first half  of the first year, instead of spreading them apart a bit.

That's funny, because I've heard people complain Bionicle isn't getting enough promotional things. I sure wish I knew which side was right.

Yeah, it's surprising how many complaints about the BIONICLE reboot I've seen argued from both sides. There's either too much being invested in promoting the theme or not enough. The story is either happening too fast or too slowly. The sets are either too diverse or not diverse enough. Obviously on a lot of these issues LEGO has done a good job arriving at some kind of middle ground.

• Upvote 2

SWEET JESUS!

I'm going on the Lego Inside Tour in less than two weeks!

I assume 200 is the number of people for all of this year's tours... if so, that means my brother and I should each be getting one of these bad boys!

KauKau...Let me guess, its Tahu's mask?

A signature is supposed to be this:

Jaeger_Gipsy_Danger_Decal_02.png

and BTW https://screen.yahoo.com/star-trek-convention-000000768.html

I need someone to explain to me why any of this is "unfair".

Because it's not.

Whether or not it matches someone's definition of "fair", I do take issue with the fact that this piece is (as far as we know) only available to 200 people who have the time and money for a trip to Denmark.

If it receives a wider release, then great.  If not, then only a handful of people will ever have access to it.

• Upvote 2

OpAXNpl.jpg

Because it's not.

I can see why some fans would think it's "unfair", but it really isn't.

The reason I probably see most are those who believe they deserve something special for sticking with Bionicle for so long, which isn't really a valid reason.

As I said before, Lego is a company, we are the consumers. We have no relation with those at Lego besides buying their products.

Edited by Forgeta

:smiletakua: :m_o: :w: :l: :e: :x: :a: :n: :m_d: :e: :r: :smiletol:

76561198067723583.pngAddFriend.png

|

"We are the Turaga of the new generation." ~Owlexander

YouTube - Imgur - Flickr - Bionicle RPG Chat

Because it's not.

Whether or not it matches someone's definition of "fair", I do take issue with the fact that this piece is (as far as we know) only available to 200 people who have the time and money for a trip to Denmark.

If it receives a wider release, then great.  If not, then only a handful of people will ever have access to it.

But if it doesn't get a wider release, then it was probably never meant to have one in the first place. Event exclusives like this are, at their core, souvenirs. You wouldn't expect a concert T-shirt to be available to people who didn't actually attend the concert, would you?

• Upvote 4

Because it's not.

But if it doesn't get a wider release, then it was probably never meant to have one in the first place. Event exclusives like this are, at their core, souvenirs. You wouldn't expect a concert T-shirt to be available to people who didn't actually attend the concert, would you?

Probably the best analogy yet of this situation.

:smiletakua: :m_o: :w: :l: :e: :x: :a: :n: :m_d: :e: :r: :smiletol:

76561198067723583.pngAddFriend.png

|

"We are the Turaga of the new generation." ~Owlexander

YouTube - Imgur - Flickr - Bionicle RPG Chat

What kind of bugs me about this is the mask could be story significant. In the summer sets, most come with a half gold, half transparent mask, the transparent mask being one that seems to be exerting elemental energy (as those colors match the transparent colors on the protected masks, which also are endowed with elemental energy), which could be the next step into unlocking the Toa's true elemental powers. If this IS the case, and this mask stays exclusive and extremely rare, then I will be very angry, and so will others.

That isn't to say I'm against exclusives, though. The clear Mask of Fire has no story significance (yet), and while the orange mask was originally rare, once we found out that the Skull Villains included the blended masks, the promo bags were on their way. So, as long as the exclusive's aren't significant to the plot AND stay rare, then I'm good.

• Upvote 1

"The Kingslayer"

z2r5DTz.png

Complete Okoto Alphabet + Okotoan Symbols | Infrared's Okoto Font | SDCC Semi-Live Coverage

—————————BZPGOT S1 KILLS—————————

Gi9juq3.png

SWEET JESUS!

I'm going on the Lego Inside Tour in less than two weeks!

I assume 200 is the number of people for all of this year's tours... if so, that means my brother and I should each be getting one of these bad boys!

KauKau...Let me guess, its Tahu's mask?

Nope, Gali's.

I just realized that before you said so.

A signature is supposed to be this:

Jaeger_Gipsy_Danger_Decal_02.png

and BTW https://screen.yahoo.com/star-trek-convention-000000768.html

Because it's not.

No, nor would I expect an "I went to the LEGO Inside Tour 2015" shirt to receive a wide release.  The mask isn't a shirt, it's a functional piece in a new color.  Were it something like the SDCC Kanoka or some special packaging, where the only real application is as a souvenir, I would have no issue.  But a transparent Gali mask has way more value beyond its exclusivity.

The fact that this mask may not be meant for wide distribution is exactly the problem I have with this in the first place, so saying "that's the point" is rather missing the point.

OpAXNpl.jpg

What kind of bugs me about this is the mask could be story significant. In the summer sets, most come with a half gold, half transparent mask, the transparent mask being one that seems to be exerting elemental energy (as those colors match the transparent colors on the protected masks, which also are endowed with elemental energy), which could be the next step into unlocking the Toa's true elemental powers. If this IS the case, and this mask stays exclusive and extremely rare, then I will be very angry, and so will others.

That isn't to say I'm against exclusives, though. The clear Mask of Fire has no story significance (yet), and while the orange mask was originally rare, once we found out that the Skull Villains included the blended masks, the promo bags were on their way. So, as long as the exclusive's aren't significant to the plot AND stay rare, then I'm good.

Does story significance really make such a huge difference, though? I mean, the silver Krana-Kal had story significance, but I never felt too upset about knowing I'd probably never own one. There are even plenty of things in the G1 story that were never even released in physical form, and I've nevertheless managed to do without them. I'm sure the same will probably be true for G2. That's the part that always puzzles me — why should a thing existing make it so hard to do without, let alone make people feel entitled to it?

Because it's not.

No, nor would I expect an "I went to the LEGO Inside Tour 2015" shirt to receive a wide release.  The mask isn't a shirt, it's a functional piece in a new color.  Were it something like the SDCC Kanoka or some special packaging, where the only real application is as a souvenir, I would have no issue.  But a transparent Gali mask has way more value beyond its exclusivity.

The fact that this mask may not be meant for wide distribution is exactly the problem I have with this in the first place, so saying "that's the point" is rather missing the point.

A concert T-shirt has value beyond its exclusivity too. You can wear it to show people what your favorite band is, or it can be a chance to own a piece of your favorite band's history. That's part of why people actually do buy concert T-shirts on sites like eBay even when they haven't been to the concert in question. There are even plenty of LEGO exclusive items that I would love to own, like this amazing LEGO octopus plush that was given to LEGO employees to promote LEGO Rebrick (which went by the working title "LEGO Octopus"). But there's a difference between having a legitimate reason to want something and feeling entitled to it.

Why is a mask that's not meant for wide distribution a problem? Is it because it's desirable? I hate to break it to you, but that's true of pretty much ANY exclusive products. LEGO doesn't design intentionally undesirable products, and certainly not as exclusive souvenirs. The whole point of a souvenir is to give people something they'll treasure. And a LEGO souvenir in particular tends to be something that will have special value to LEGO fans.

Is it because you think a transparent Mask of Water has special significance to a wide number of fans? That is certainly true for nostalgic G1 fans like you and I, but for an average kid within the BIONICLE theme's target audience, Tahu's mask would probably be a lot more iconic AND have more nostalgic value, hence why it's been used for the only wide-reaching promotional giveaway so far.

Remember, this isn't a case of LEGO creating these masks and then scrambling to find a way to give them away (as was the case with the orange Mask of Time giveaway at Walgreens in 2002 — those masks were actually created for the PC game that never came out). This is a case of LEGO planning giveaways and then coming up with special masks that they think would be suitable for them.

So yes, I suppose you're right that I'm "missing the point", but not for lack of trying. I just can't think up any reason why rare or exclusive BIONICLE masks (or rare or exclusive LEGO products in general) shouldn't exist. And I guarantee you, there would still be people complaining about the exclusivity of this if it were any other exclusive BIONICLE mask.

Edited by Aanchir
  • Upvote 3

It means that the golden mask contest barely passed and we got the hero pack and when that barely ended we got the Mask hut which is ending soon and now this. I don't think Bionicle needs this many exclusives and specials to advertise it, that's what I meant by it being rushed, it's like they're pushing everything out they have in the first half  of the first ###### year, instead of spreading them apart a bit.

LEGO is the most successful toy company in the world. If it could afford to promote the theme like there was no tomorrow in 2001, when the company was in real danger of not having one, it can certainly afford to do so now.

Does story significance really make such a huge difference, though? I mean, the silver Krana-Kal had story significance, but I never felt too upset about knowing I'd probably never own one. There are even plenty of things in the G1 story that were never even released in physical form, and I've nevertheless managed to do without them. I'm sure the same will probably be true for G2. That's the part that always puzzles me — why should a thing existing make it so hard to do without, let alone make people feel entitled to it?

Of all my regrets about Gen1, my greatest is that we never got a Tren Krom plushie. :(

• Upvote 1

gZsNWyr.png

(Credit to Nik the Three for the banner)

It'd be awesome if we could special order masks online from LEGO in varying colors of our choice. Very impractical, yes, but awesome nonetheless. 

I believe that LEGOLAND Builders can do just that, for just about any piece, albeit with costs usually ranging from $1-$3 per piece.

Edited by Quisoves Potoo

gZsNWyr.png

If, in 2001, someone spent thousands of dollars on a trip to LEGOLAND and happened to pick up a trans-neon green Miru, could they reasonably say the mask was worth the cost of the trip and expect to be able to sell it for that much? No. You said yourself, people are paying for the tour, not for the mask.

Granted, the TNGMs were much more common, but the principle is the same. The Kaukau will be worth whatever people are willing to pay for it. I'd wager they start out at around $100 and go down from there as more people decide to sell theirs.

A concert T-shirt has value beyond its exclusivity too. You can wear it to show people what your favorite band is, or it can be a chance to own a piece of your favorite band's history. That's part of why people actually do buy concert T-shirts on sites like eBay even when they haven't been to the concert in question. There are even plenty of LEGO exclusive items that I would love to own, like this amazing LEGO octopus plush that was given to LEGO employees to promote LEGO Rebrick (which went by the working title "LEGO Octopus"). But there's a difference between having a legitimate reason to want something and feeling entitled to it.

So yes, I suppose you're right that I'm "missing the point", but not for lack of trying. I just can't think up any reason why rare or exclusive BIONICLE masks (or rare or exclusive LEGO products in general) shouldn't exist. And I guarantee you, there would still be people complaining about the exclusivity of this if it were any other exclusive BIONICLE mask.

Does this help at all? :P

Anyways. I'm wondering whether you're right about that last statement - that people would still be complaining were this any other mask. As NotS speculated, and as Bfa has specifically said, a lot of this is based on the fact that a trans-blue Kaukau has a lot of nostalgic value. Did people also complain about the clear and trans-orange Hau? If they did I seem to have missed it.

-Letagi

Edited by Letagi
  • Upvote 2

Why is a mask that's not meant for wide distribution a problem? Is it because it's desirable? I hate to break it to you, but that's true of pretty much ANY exclusive products. LEGO doesn't design intentionally undesirable products, and certainly not as exclusive souvenirs. The whole point of a souvenir is to give people something they'll treasure. And a LEGO souvenir in particular tends to be something that will have special value to LEGO fans.

Is it because you think a transparent Mask of Water has special significance to a wide number of fans? That is certainly true for nostalgic G1 fans like you and I, but for an average kid within the BIONICLE theme's target audience, Tahu's mask would probably be a lot more iconic AND have more nostalgic value, hence why it's been used for the only wide-reaching promotional giveaway so far.

Remember, this isn't a case of LEGO creating these masks and then scrambling to find a way to give them away (as was the case with the orange Mask of Time giveaway at Walgreens in 2002 — those masks were actually created for the PC game that never came out). This is a case of LEGO planning giveaways and then coming up with special masks that they think would be suitable for them.

I have not suggested that LEGO, or any other company, should make promotions that nobody wants, but if the purpose is to give someone something special and exclusive they can do that in ways other than exclusive recolors.  Like I said, the SDCC disk, or a special printed tile, or a poster, or a card, or unique packaging, or something that still has the exclusive collector value without leaving out the people who would want it for practical reasons.

I do not necessarily believe that a transparent Mask of Water will have the same appeal to a new fan as it would to someone looking to replicate Gali's 2001 form.  The appeal I'd think it would have is the same appeal as the seven colors of Protector masks we're getting; you have access to a piece in more than its two previous existing colors, even more so because it's Gali's mask and she was the only one without a special transparent or blended transparent mask last we knew.

And yes, I know there would be people complaining if it were any other exclusive mask; I would be one of those people.  I'm not taking issue with the idea of Gali's mask being an exclusive, I'm taking issue with the idea of functional recolors only being available to a select few people by design.  Especially in this case, where the availability is only to those who had a few thousand dollars to spare.

OpAXNpl.jpg

Does this help at all? :P

It's not fair! I should be the only one with cannon-balls here! I've been a loyal fan of Octopocle piece for well over a decade, and now that LEGO decides to make a cuddly version of it, only LEGOLAND Bilund employees can get it! This is a slap in the face! LEGO made the Splashy Barraki Squids available commercially, they can do the same for this! They really are mishandling piece #6086! The nerve, leaving me at the mercy of scalpers who charge exorbitant prices in the knowledge that I long dearly to feel the embrace of those eldritch cephalopodic tentacles! I've got a good mind to embargo the Pirate and Diving themes! *Sniff* But I can't, because I love it so. :crying:

Not cool LEGO, not cool.

• Upvote 4

gZsNWyr.png

I have not suggested that LEGO, or any other company, should make promotions that nobody wants, but if the purpose is to give someone something special and exclusive they can do that in ways other than exclusive recolors.  Like I said, the SDCC disk, or a special printed tile, or a poster, or a card, or unique packaging, or something that still has the exclusive collector value without leaving out the people who would want it for practical reasons.

I do not necessarily believe that a transparent Mask of Water will have the same appeal to a new fan as it would to someone looking to replicate Gali's 2001 form.  The appeal I'd think it would have is the same appeal as the seven colors of Protector masks we're getting; you have access to a piece in more than its two previous existing colors, even more so because it's Gali's mask and she was the only one without a special transparent or blended transparent mask last we knew.

And yes, I know there would be people complaining if it were any other exclusive mask; I would be one of those people.  I'm not taking issue with the idea of Gali's mask being an exclusive, I'm taking issue with the idea of functional recolors only being available to a select few people by design.  Especially in this case, where the availability is only to those who had a few thousand dollars to spare.

What you're arguing is that Lego should only make less functionally useful exclusives. Which, in essence, is just another way of saying that if this piece can't be made available for everybody it shouldn't be produced at all. Neither argument is really valid.

Let's look at it this way. Last week, nobody had any idea whether there would even be a Transparent Gali Mask. Today we know that there will, but it will be an exclusive. For people who can't obtain this, what's changed? Absolutely nothing, other than that of the potential Gali masks that could conceivably be produced, a Trans. Blue one probably won't be released in any other way. Blended Tahu and Gali masks are just as valid a possibility for future sets or giveaways as they ever were.

As for the new mask, it isn't even part of a group—it doesn't match the blended masks from the Skull Villains, nor does it match the new Gali's color scheme (which only has Trans. Light Blue), nor does it even fit in a neat group with the Protectors (keep in mind that the mask from the Hero Pack did NOT match the Protector of Fire's blended mask).

But no. Why couldn't they release something like a disk or printed tile that lacks any functional use other than bragging rights? After all, it's not like Lego fans who go on the Inside Tour like building, or would prefer a piece that's actually functionally useful. Better that a nice-looking, useful, and nostalgic mask like this not exist than have to suffer the existential pain of knowing that someone else has one and you don't.

Edited by Lyichir
  • Upvote 3

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Yeah, it's pretty unfair. But oh well. I guess I can live without ONE collectible. ;(

Hopefully one of 'em pops up on Ebay or something. 

Do you know how much that mask will be though? Upwards of $100 for one piece of plastic. The word that I want to use to describe this situation is not a word I am allowed to say on this site.

Eh. If I spend up to $500 on a GPKK, 100 won't deter me that much.

Joking obviously, I really hope Lego releases more of these, as I'm sure many people hate it when Lego does this.  

Er, may I suggest that defending the right for Lego to produce an exclusive mask that you are going to get when you are going to get it, is somewhat fat talk?

I mean, people want a transparent blue Gali mask, I guess. It never occurred to me that a transparent Gali Mask was something desirable, but apparently a lot of people want one. And it seems that Lego has underestimated the demand for transparent Gali masks. That's bad marketing practice. They should fix that.

Hopefully the social media reaction to this will convince Lego that the mask has more demand than they anticipated and to release more copies in the future.  

• Upvote 2

That's funny, because I've heard people complain Bionicle isn't getting enough promotional things. I sure wish I knew which side was right.

Yeah, it's surprising how many complaints about the BIONICLE reboot I've seen argued from both sides. There's either too much being invested in promoting the theme or not enough. The story is either happening too fast or too slowly. The sets are either too diverse or not diverse enough. Obviously on a lot of these issues LEGO has done a good job arriving at some kind of middle ground.

See, I really agree with Aanchir. I think that we're just kind of complaining at this point; the Lego Group is doing a good job with this stuff and I suggest we all just sit back and see what comes next. I do want one of these masks and it is sad that such a desirable mask is so rare, but that's how exclusives work. Hey, at least we have exclusives! Did Hero Factory ever have exclusives? (I actually don't know the answer to that), but my point is I think we're getting upset over something that isn't really unfair. I'm with fishers64 in his statement about Lego having the right to produce the exclusive mask and that they may have underestimated how large the demand for it is, but they've gotta have some cool Bionicle exclusive. 

In my previous posts to the topic, I did say that it is sad that a cool mask is so rare, but I do have to say that compared to what the exclusive for the factory tour could've been (say a silver mask of fire or platinum mask of creation) I think we're getting cooked up over something that's more than fair. (just my opinion anyway)

• Upvote 1

evergrey_l01.gif

Other great bands:

Iron Maiden    Journey    Mercenary    The Unguided    Trivium

Boston    Stratovarius    Symphony X    Epica

Er, may I suggest that defending the right for Lego to produce an exclusive mask that you are going to get when you are going to get it, is somewhat fat talk?

I mean, people want a transparent blue Gali mask, I guess. It never occurred to me that a transparent Gali Mask was something desirable, but apparently a lot of people want one. And it seems that Lego has underestimated the demand for transparent Gali masks. That's bad marketing practice. They should fix that.

Hopefully the social media reaction to this will convince Lego that the mask has more demand than they anticipated and to release more copies in the future.

I'm not "defending their right to produce it". That's something that doesn't need to be done, because obviously they're free to produce whatever they want and release it however they think is best. What I'm doing is calling out the whiners who seem to think that if everyone doesn't have a shot at something then it shouldn't exist in the first place. We see this entitled attitude in the Lego fan community every single time an exclusive mask, fig, or set is released, and it gets on my nerves whether or not I'm in the running to actually get one.

• Upvote 3

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

So what would you rather I do? Say nothing, or even join in the complaining even when I know full well that LEGO has done nothing wrong? This isn't just my feeling about this one particular exclusive, which I may be lucky enough to get. This is how I have felt about the whining that ensues every single time LEGO releases an event exclusive item (including the dozens I've missed out on). The argument that "cool and useful things should not exist unless everybody has a chance to own them, and things that not everybody has a chance to own should never be cool or useful" is ridiculous any way you slice it.

Do you know how I feel when LEGO releases a cool minifigure or set or BIONICLE mask that I know I'll probably never own? I feel happy. Happy not for myself, but for the people who are lucky enough to own that thing. This is not some kind of profound life lesson I learned when I became an adult, but something I felt even as a child. I never got a Transparent Fluorescent Green Miru or a Bright Orange Vahi, but I still have always loved seeing those masks in MOCs. I never even entered the "Search for the Golden Masks" sweepstakes, but that didn't make seeing pictures of one of the golden masks on the Internet any less cool to me! I likewise never entered the "Search for the 7th Toa" sweepstakes, but I still think it's awesome to see how much that has skyrocketed in value, and to know it's now in the hands of a lifelong BIONICLE fan!

But somehow, a lot of other people's feelings seem to boil down to a childish rant of "if I can't have it, nobody should!" People complain about the Mr. Gold promotion from Minifigures Series 10 being a shameless cash-grab, and accuse the judges of the Battle for the Gold Mask of being biased, and hypothesize that the BIONICLE Mask Hunt is rigged against people who submit their pictures via Facebook. And of course, time and time again, people criticize event exclusives on the grounds that they should not exist unless they can be somehow be made available to everybody. It's downright lamentable, in my opinion.

• Upvote 5

I was going to make a big comment about this being unfair, but y'know, I think I do agree with the chir's. The point of a collectible is being collectable, right? I mean, you win some and you lose some. Sure I'm miffed that I won't be able to get it but LEGO knew they would rustle some jimmies by doing this, so I don't think complaining is really going to do anything. I suppose if they did do a giveaway of some of them that would put most people here at ease, but even if that doesn't happen then you should just consider it to not be something you need. Aanchir replied to a comment I made in the News thread and departed some timeless wisdom: Collecting should be for fun. I don't need to collect any misprints or prototypes, and I've let myself know that. I go by the arms reach rule with collecting (Which I just coined right now while typing this) If there's no way I can reach it, then there's no reason to grab. I'll buy as many sets as my budget allows and I can allow myself to save up and buy more, and anything else is a bonus. My Trans Tahu Mask? I spotted a deal on ebay for 40$ right as the price was about to spike, since before then I didn't know about it. I was a little frustrated that I didn't get it cheaper, but I just physically couldn't buy it before then, so what's the point in getting mad, so I can make myself happier about it by considering it an extra thing for my collection. Same goes for the fact that I have two Hero packs, most people probably only have one, but I was able to get two. Unless there's some conscious decision I make that prevents me from getting one of these masks, then there's no reason to be upset. I ramble too much so if I have made any point here it's probably been drawn out for way too long, but I guess the jist of what I'm saying is that if you think you deserve to get a mask just because other people get it, then you should probably stop thinking about it that way.

In the meantime, I'm gonna keep Gali's mask next to NYCC Tahu in hopes that they'll magicly form together like a Disk of Time :P

In honor of the anniversary, I'm making a signature. Neat.

I'm tempted to mold Gali's mask and make everyone here their own translucent version. Seems as fair as what Lego pulled.

To be honest I don't think Lego is taking Bionicle seriously at all. The uneven effort in design, the issues in storytelling, even promotions like this. It's all a game to them in my opinion. I think Bionicle needs to be treated as it once was. With dedication and community.

After seeing those design videos which tell us a whole lot of nothing, I sincerely doubt how anyone could seriously believe that they care very much about the reboot.

Just finished watching Pohatu's designer video, where the designer clearly says "We really look at where did Pohatu come from, what kind of design features make him who he is." That's not not caring for the reboot.

I'm tempted to mold Gali's mask and make everyone here their own translucent version. Seems as fair as what Lego pulled.

To be honest I don't think Lego is taking Bionicle seriously at all. The uneven effort in design, the issues in storytelling, even promotions like this. It's all a game to them in my opinion. I think Bionicle needs to be treated as it once was. With dedication and community.

1: Uneven effort? 

2: Wait for the books.

3: This isn't a promotion, it's just a collectible, just like old Bio.

• Upvote 3

Where is Pohatu hunchback, where are his kicking function (parts that make him a lot different from the other toa), why do he have more silver then dark orange, why dose his mask look more of Photok mask, not one of those is on Pohato and have a reason why.

But you do have a point about wait for the books and collectible. But from seeing the story so fare with those shorts, I have a feeling that the books aren't going to help the Gen 2.

Edited by ShadowWolfHount

:akakunu: My Topics :akakunu:

MOCs: Construct-a-Astronaut

:voyanui: Find Me On :voyanui:

Flickr 10.gif Twitter 10.gif Youtube

Where is Pohatu hunchback, where are his kicking function (parts that make him a lot different from the other toa), why do he have more silver then dark orange, why dose his mask look more of Photok mask, not one of those is on Pohato and have a reason why.

But you do have a point about wait for the books and collectible. But from seeing the story so fare with those shorts, I have a feeling that the books aren't going to help the Gen 2.

1: He wasn't a hunchback.

2: Do you know how ridiculous an upisde down CCBS torso would look?

3: Does it matter?

4: It doesn't. It has those side parts of the original Kakama, as well as the eye sockets of the original.

5: The story just started. How many times does that have to be repeated?

• Upvote 4