• Create Account

Welcome to BZPower!

Hi there, while we hope you enjoy browsing through the site, there's a lot more you can do if you register. The process is easy and you can use your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account to make it even faster. Some perks of joining include:
  • Create your own topics, participate in existing discussions, and vote in polls
  • Show off your creations, stories, art, music, and movies and play member and staff-run games
  • Enter contests to win free LEGO sets and other prizes, and vote to decide the winners
  • Participate in raffles, including exclusive raffles for new members, and win free LEGO sets
  • Send private messages to other members
  • Organize with other members to attend or send your MOCs to LEGO fan events all over the world
  • Much, much more!
Enjoy your visit!

Photo

How do you build your sets?

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Blitzkitteh

Blitzkitteh
  • Members
  • Armored Protector

• 24-February 08
  • 316 posts
  •  

Posted Jul 22 2012 - 03:32 PM

When you get a new set, how do you build it? Do you stagger the build? Sort out the parts first? Go bag by bag? Empty the contents directly into your parts bin? Stuff like that.Personally, I just go bag by bag, but I'm getting the Diagon Alley set soon and would like to know your opinions and preferences on different styles of building.-Longcat is Long!

I USED TO BE LONGCAT IS LONG!

tumblr_m42b4aGmdZ1qkibivo1_500.jpg
My Blog. Read it. Nao.

My Steam name is [TDC] Blitzkitteh, feel free to add me.

#2 Offline Flux: The Explorer

Flux: The Explorer
  • Members
  • Fluidic Master Nuva

• 08-November 11
  • 1,301 posts
  •  

Posted Jul 22 2012 - 03:41 PM

I just dump the parts onto the table or something and immediately start building it. It may not be the best strategy because some parts could get lost underneath the other parts.

pWPTu7m.jpg

Credits go to Strack for the awesome sprite.

"Everyone wondered what powered Zane. I don't know if we'll ever know. I like to

think he was a brother. Because he powered me... and he'll still power me as his memory lives on.

A ninja never quits and a ninja will never be forgotten. Wherever you are Zane...

you'll always be one of us..."

~ Kai, Ninjago

#3 Offline Toa of Geek

Toa of Geek
  • Members
  • Toa

• 13-June 12
  • 164 posts
  •  

Posted Jul 22 2012 - 04:52 PM

I usually go bag by bag or all at once. I don't have the patience to sort the pieces, and probably never will.

I really need a better signiature.

#4 Offline Spinjitzu Master

Spinjitzu Master
  • Members
  • Battling Makuta!

• 30-August 10
  • 507 posts
  •  

Posted Jul 22 2012 - 05:05 PM

I just go bag by bag, but it depends on how excited I am for it or how large it is.

daringsig.png

"Remember the Heart of NINJAGO."
PM me if you wish to know more about BIONICLE: Showdown!

#5 Offline I Am A Walrus

I Am A Walrus
  • Outstanding BZPower Citizens
  • Master of Poison Loose

• 09-April 10
  • 5,549 posts
  •   Outstanding BZPower Citizen

Posted Jul 22 2012 - 05:15 PM

If the set came in a canister, I usually dumped out all the pieces before I started building it. I did the same with box sets, but I simply dumped them into the empty box instead of my floor.

What's up? I'm a Walrus now. B-)

Check out my Bionicle short stories The Agori and A Skakdi Horror Story.

Also check out my comedy series Adventures of the Bara Magna Sets!

#6 Offline The Swimming Beard

The Swimming Beard
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Strange But Not A Stranger

• 05-April 12
  • 2,247 posts
  •  

Posted Jul 22 2012 - 05:49 PM

With my hands. :P But really, I usually go bag by bag.

Posted Image

SCM-541: The White Viper

Winner of BBCC 68!

(Formerly known as The Swimming Beard)

#7 Offline Poutwuw Toa of Diversity

Poutwuw Toa of Diversity
  • Members
  • Stalwart Defender

• 13-May 10
  • 426 posts
  •  

Posted Jul 22 2012 - 05:51 PM

This really has nothing to do with System, as I usually only get buildable figure (Bionicle/Hero Factory) sets. Empty out all parts and begin. My process: I ALWAYS start at the torso. Then I go for legs, then arms, head, and lastly helmet/mask, or if a Hero, the core. When It comes to HF, I do my best to act like the Assembly Tower.Titan sets are similar, but I always put on the small decorative stuff last (spikes, weapons, etc.).

10590542_1562667083954447_52773622283794

#8 Offline fauxname

fauxname
  • Members
  • Tohunga

• 26-May 12
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted Jul 22 2012 - 06:16 PM

I build bag by bag usually, unless it's a small set, where I build it all at once.

I'm a dinosaur! Rawr.

#9 Offline Takanuinuva

Takanuinuva
  • Members
  • Makuta Conquered!

• 11-January 07
  • 594 posts
  •  

Posted Jul 22 2012 - 06:30 PM

I dump out the parts. Usually if its with a canister set from bionicle or hero factory. I don't need the instructions to build it. But with larger sets I use the instructions.

:smiletol: I am Takanui Nuva. The Toa Nuva of Light :smiletol:
11.gifI also go by Baron Von Brickstein 11.gif

Even when things look there worst. And the shadow of evil is upon us. Remember that as long as we hope for the best. Light will appear and overcome the darkness.

Please check out my projects on Lego Ideas.9.gif
https://ideas.lego.c...kstein/projects

I'm looking for an Inkay or Malamar with its event move Happy Hour. Pm if you have one I can borrow to breed and pass the move down so I can have an Inkay with the move for myself.

Friend Code- 0216-0827-9119

#10 Offline Latest Trends in Fashion

Latest Trends in Fashion
  • Members
  • Lehvak-Kal Attacks!

• 18-November 04
  • 3,693 posts
  •  

Posted Jul 22 2012 - 06:38 PM

I empty all of the parts into a box and construct the set from there.{QQQQ}

signature

#11 Offline Meiko

Meiko
  • Premier Member
    BioniLUG Member
  • Premier Outstanding BZP Citizens
  • Nuhvok-Kal Attacks!

• 01-April 07
  • 3,088 posts

Posted Jul 22 2012 - 06:50 PM

If it's a large set, I go bag by bag, but if it's small, then I'll try to build it without the instructions.
--
Meiko - @georgebarnick
LUG Ambassador and administrator at Brickipedia
News reporter and database administrator at Brickset
Administrator at BIONICLEsector01

DISCLAIMER: All opinions and contributions made under this account are based solely on my own personal thoughts and opinions, and in no way represent any of the above groups/entities. If you have any concerns or inquiries about the contributions made under this account, please contact me individually and I will address them with you to the best of my ability.

#12 Offline Shadow Kurahk

Shadow Kurahk
  • Premier Member
  • Lehvak-Kal Attacks!

• 24-June 06
  • 3,658 posts

Posted Jul 22 2012 - 06:51 PM

I build it with the instructions.-SK

#13 Online Purple God

Purple God
  • Members
  • Mata Nui Rises

• 10-July 09
  • 20,560 posts
  •  

Posted Jul 23 2012 - 01:14 AM

I go bag by bag, following the instructions booklet.

ULPxgev.gif

~Prepare to fight — for, evidently, you have found peace intolerable.~

#14 Offline Kaxix

Kaxix
  • Premier Member
  • Surrender or Run

• 13-March 06
  • 8,629 posts

Posted Jul 23 2012 - 04:15 AM

Normally follow the order showed in the instruction booklet, however if the set is simple (for example an Av-toran) I build it easly without it.

:b: :i: :m_o: :n: :i: :c: :l: :e:

#15 Offline Doctor J. Wotzon

Doctor J. Wotzon
  • Members
  • Gahlok-Kal Crushed

• 07-March 11
  • 4,604 posts
  •  

Posted Jul 23 2012 - 05:56 AM

I go bag by bag, but I sort the pieces of each bag when I open them, and follow the instructions. I might be slightly OCD about doing it the 'correct way' sometimes too :P

not a lot of things match my avatar

#16 Offline Lyichir

Lyichir
  • Premier Member
    BioniLUG Member
  • Premier Members
  • A Chir Brother

• 21-March 06
  • 2,314 posts
  •  

Posted Jul 23 2012 - 11:38 AM

I generally go bag by bag, using the instructions. Occasionally, with larger sets, my brothers and I build together, alternating steps. And when rebuilding a smaller set I sometimes like to try building it without the instructions, so that it feels like a new experience.
Proud attendee of the Bionicle panel at NYCC and after-hours Lego store event! Feel free to PM me any questions about Bionicle 2015 sets or parts!

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence
Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

#17 Offline Nuparu1995

Nuparu1995
  • Members
  • Flying Force!

• 30-December 08
  • 2,300 posts
  •  

Posted Jul 23 2012 - 05:40 PM

Only for the really large sets I go bag by bag, but for most others I just dump all of the pieces out on the table at once. Just dumping out all those pieces at once feels so good!!1! 8D Makes searching for tiny pieces more fun, too. :lol:
Nuparu1995

92% of teens have moved onto rap.

If you are part of the 8% that still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your signature.

Posted Image

R.I.P. - 7/20/2012

#18 Offline Akuna Toa of Sonics

Akuna Toa of Sonics
  • Members
  • Ice Warrior Defeated

• 14-June 08
  • 2,959 posts
  •  

Posted Jul 23 2012 - 07:37 PM

I dump the bags out on a table, keep the individual bag parts together, and start building.

webmaster.png

#19 Offline Plague

Plague
  • Members
  • Toa

• 15-October 11
  • 127 posts
  •  

Posted Jul 23 2012 - 08:31 PM

Dump it out. I build the parts I can figure out first, and then use the instructions for the rest.Example: With the first Makuta: Build the head. Build the lower arms. Build the staff. Then use the instructions for the body, upper arms, and legs.I use that process for almost every set I buy.

http://www.mocpages.com/home.php/67904 < My Mocpages! :biggrin:

My first (and currently ONLY) MOC on BZP! > http://www.bzpower.c...?showtopic=5426

PLAGUE

Posted Image

Avatar pic taken [and edited] by me. DON"T STEAL IT! :P

#20 Offline -Windrider-

-Windrider-
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Global Moderators
  • Literally Kagome

• 05-February 03
  • 5,613 posts
  •   BZP Staff

Posted Jul 24 2012 - 04:13 PM

I never bother with going bag-by-bag or sorting the parts. I just dump everything into a pile on the floor, even if it does mean the occasional five- or ten-minute search for that one piecetm.Yes, my method did make for an "interesting" building experience with the 10030 UCS Star Destroyer.

#21 Offline Aanchir

Aanchir
  • Premier Member
  • Another Chir Brother

• 04-September 06
  • 4,793 posts

Posted Jul 25 2012 - 06:34 AM

If it's a set with numbered bags, I open one "number" at a time. And if there are a lot of bags, I generally will keep smaller parts and larger parts in separate piles or trays.At that point, how I build it depends on whether I'm doing so alone or with my siblings. Lately we've been building some of the modular buildings as a family, and as per tradition we've been alternating steps between the three of us in a pattern. Of course, for certain sets if it's just my twin brother and me, we might divide certain identical or symmetrical sections up between the two of us, regardless of set numbering. That can be more efficient since there's less trading off and more working at our own pace.

Posted Image recommends the following sites:
Posted Image Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#22 Offline Ballom

Ballom
  • Premier Member
  • Morbuzakh Destroyed

• 13-June 06
  • 9,669 posts

Posted Jul 28 2012 - 12:34 AM

I keep the bags sealed, working only with the current ones that the instructions proscribe, as it makes builds faster and more efficient. I used to just dump out everything when I was younger, though. :P~B~

sands_banner.jpg

#23 Offline Taipu1

Taipu1
  • Premier Member
  • Stone Champion Defeated

• 20-April 06
  • 2,784 posts

Posted Jul 31 2012 - 08:22 AM

Back when I got sets, first thing I did was ignore the instructions not to do it on a carpet. Carpet is just better. I only opened the necessary bags for the part of the build I was on though, so that kept some organisation. Except for some odd bags, where I wanted a closer look at the pieces. Or for those little boxes that had capes in.

- Taipu1.

tayis.png

HighFly Matoran

Showdown

BZPRPG Profiles

Have you seen my Blog? I understand if you haven't

#24 Offline Ektris

Ektris
  • Premier Member
  • The Tracer

• 22-July 03
  • 13,299 posts

Posted Jul 31 2012 - 08:27 AM

I typically will just sit down on a nice, comfortable carpet (couldn't agree more that it's beter, Taipu1 haha) and just start reading the instructions. Which means I'll open bags as I need them, get to large parts as I need them. I also try to finish the build all in one sitting. Only if a part particularly interests me (such as making the Creeper out of my most recent set, Minecraft) will I go after it first. Generally it's a time of liesure and fun.~|ET|~

Edited by 1. Xemnas, Jul 31 2012 - 08:27 AM.

E-T... Phone home.

"He walks among us, but he is not one of us."

#25 Offline Linsanity

Linsanity
  • Emerging Stone Champion

• 17-June 09
  • 1,497 posts

Posted Jul 31 2012 - 10:04 AM

I just dump them out and start building it. If it's a set with around 1000 pieces, I do it bag by bag.

#26 Offline Liopleurodon

Liopleurodon
  • Members
  • Swarm Scavenger

• 19-November 08
  • 674 posts
  •  

Posted Jul 31 2012 - 06:53 PM

I mess around a little with the pieces first, then 1) if it's a small set, I dump all the pieces together and build or 2) if it's a large set, I build bag by bag.

r0ycUmF.jpg

#27 Offline Cederak

Cederak
  • Axiomatic

• 17-September 05
  • 4,147 posts

Posted Aug 03 2012 - 01:37 PM

I'll dump each bag onto a separate part of the floor and start working at the build. Smaller sets, I just dump out all the pieces in a tiny pile.-Ced

#28 Offline Waffles

Waffles
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Nuhvok-Kal Collapsed

• 19-August 08
  • 4,384 posts
  •  

Posted Aug 05 2012 - 05:16 PM

As many members do, I just dump them out in one big pile unless they're in numbered bags, in which I make different piles. I tend to not worry about building fast, but enjoying the build.

I AM A HAPPY CHICKEN

#29 Offline Valendale

Valendale
  • Premier Member
    BioniLUG Member
  • Premier Members
  • Chugger of all that is Icy

• 03-October 08
  • 371 posts
  •  

Posted Aug 06 2012 - 10:27 AM

I always go one bag at a time. It makes the build easier and I don't really have the space to dump all the bags out at once.

#30 Offline Killer_Myr

Killer_Myr
  • Members
  • Encountering Protodermis

• 16-October 11
  • 889 posts
  •  

Posted Aug 17 2012 - 05:14 PM

I've spent so long digging parts out of the bottom of a pile of mixed pieces that I don't pay much attention to how I build. The last set I built, I built it going bag by bag, as per the instructions.

When you get right down to it, we're all just shades on the spectrum of Humanity.
What matters most in life is not what you are, or what group you belong to, but who you are.
Fight hate with understanding.
Fight ignorance with knowledge.
Fight cruelty with compassion.
Don't be the poison, be the antidote.

#31 Offline BobaFett2

BobaFett2
  • Members
  • Seeker

• 07-October 09
  • 244 posts
  •  

Posted Aug 21 2012 - 04:39 PM

I build as per the instructions.

The Legend Lives...

#32 Offline Bambi

Bambi
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Mask of Light Unveiled

• 31-March 08
  • 5,087 posts
  •  

Posted Aug 27 2012 - 09:29 PM

One brick at a time. :P(usually I follow the instructions)

#33 Offline Actually... I'm Santa

Actually... I'm Santa
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Illusory Instigator

• 12-October 03
  • 1,368 posts
  •  

Posted Aug 27 2012 - 10:41 PM

Well, it depends if I want to do a review or not. If I get a set and I want to review it before I open it, then I do it bag-by-bag, only I sort out the pieces by color and type neatly to take a picture. It. Takes. So. Long. ... But, it does result in a much easier system for building the set. No going crazy over that one piece that you saw five million times before, but when you need it for something it totally disappears on you...Though, if I'm building it and I'm not planning a review, then I just dump all the contents of every bag into one pile and get-a-building! This method has been used by me since I was a kid. XD

#34 Offline Rama~Swarm

Rama~Swarm
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Retired Staff
  • ST errrr FA For Life (aka Senior Staff)

• 19-October 01
  • 6,824 posts
  •   Retired Staff

Posted Aug 28 2012 - 04:19 AM

I tear it open and start building. Then once I'm done it sits around until I need a piece from it.

Is it strange to be annoyed that other people are using my color?

Y'all know who you are.

Posted Image

#35 Offline Iku

Iku
  • Members
  • Toa

• 06-August 08
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted Aug 28 2012 - 04:41 AM

I tend to buy BIONICLE and Hero Factory sets, so I just dump it all out and build. The titan sets I almost always build with instructions (at least the older ones, since the newer ones are much simpler, and I can build many parts without instructions).However, the medium-small sets, I make it a rule never to look at the instruction booklet (at the box cover/back cover instead), unless I'm stuck on a part for more than ten minutes. It keeps building fun, due to the simplicity of the newer sets. I also occacionally make small modifications to the sets, using the parts provided, if the set is difficult to move, or play with the original configuration, or if it simply looks better without or with a certain piece shifted/removed.Anyone do similar building methods? :)
Quote by Greg Farshtey, main author for BIONICLE canon:

Keep in mind that if Star Trek fans had, as a group, said, "No point in talking about this anymore, it's never going to come back," it never WOULD have come back.

#36 Offline Raiden: Toa of Storms

Raiden: Toa of Storms
  • Members
  • Seeker

• 24-April 12
  • 207 posts
  •  

Posted Aug 28 2012 - 09:32 AM

I tend to buy larger sets, and i rip apart every bag, shove it all in a pile, and use instructions for complicated stuff.

#37 Offline Velox

Velox
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Forum Assistants
  • Bibliophilic Littérateur & Senior Staff

• 20-September 07
  • 11,831 posts
  •   BZP Assistant

Posted Aug 29 2012 - 06:17 PM

I go bag-by-bag, following the instructions. I'll occasionally just dump all the pieces together if it's a smaller set. Posted Image

"As a writer you ask yourself to dream while awake." ~ Aimee Bender

#38 Offline Sinclair

Sinclair
  • Members
  • Turaga

• 06-April 12
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted Sep 02 2012 - 10:41 AM

I go bag-by-bag, following the instructions. I'll occasionally just dump all the pieces together if it's a smaller set. Posted Image

Basically this.

hopelessly drifting, bathing in beautiful agony

#39 Offline Sumiki

Sumiki
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Forum Assistants
  • Hat Enterprises CEO

• 04-September 06
  • 11,366 posts
  •   BZP Assistant

Posted Sep 02 2012 - 12:14 PM

It depends on the size of the set. If it's a smaller set, then I just get down to it. If it's a larger set - one with lots of bags - I sort them out tediously before building it.

tumblr_ngen45A4Ri1tryxewo3_1280.png

#40 Offline Paleo

Paleo
  • BioniLUG Member
  • Retired Staff
  • Encountering Protodermis

• 09-January 11
  • 830 posts
  •   Retired Staff

Posted Sep 02 2012 - 12:17 PM

I logically dump it on the floor and start building very carefully in a logical way. I have never left a set that I just purchased unassembled. Logic is the key to thoughtful control of your LEGO-building emotions.

Edited by Mister Spock, Sep 02 2012 - 12:21 PM.

The latest from Paleo:

ARAXI

15730563408_21b15da106_n.jpg

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users