The Best Laid Plans: Gameplay Topic

IC: Unit #1

The Kranua ran out the door, having scene a scurry of foot prints coming out this way using his thermal imaging. It looked like about seven different tracks. The majority split up, but some stayed together. Unit #1 caught the glimpse of red Toa fleeing. He followed.

I used to have a banner here.

But that RPG is dead.

What now?

IC: Virg (Stab 'n' Grab)

It didn't take long for me to realise that I was being followed. I mean, it's not like the big heavily-armoured robot was subtle about chasing me. Judging from what happened in the black market, I doubted I could take the thing in a fight, but it seemed to be rather slow, so I could probably lose it if I ran really fast. Or maybe I could lead it somewhere else. I began to hatch a plan in my mind, running ahead of the Kranua but making sure it didn't lose track of me.

IC: Typewriter Town Bar - Vod

The shadows conceal me - the shadows consume me. The dim lighting in this joint only succeeds in casting an ethereal outline around me. Were I more poetic, I might talk about my form blending seamlessly into the darkness - of course, that isn’t true, since my dull green-gray armour stands ever-so-slightly against the dusty blackness.

I don’t shake Gunmetal’s - no, sorry, Mantox’s - proffered hand. Instead, I reach into the pocket of my blazer, extracting two items; a small pad of paper and a fountain pen. Call me old-school, but I much prefer these instruments over the fancy-dancy iStone knock-offs that kids these days are using. Whatever pens and paper lack in glitz, glamour and Angry Gukko, they make up for in simplicity, security and reliability - it’s much harder to hack into a sticky-note than into a computer.

Without a word, I write a short message, sliding it and the pen across the table, and into Mantox’s viewing range:

I have a proposition for you.

“Sit down then, Mantox,” I say curtly, indicating the vacant bench before me, “And I may be able to explain.”

-Void

[ BZPRPG ]

The Ta-Toa was faster than the Kranua. Much faster. Unit #1 raised his gun, and tried to get a good aim on the subject. He fired whenever he thought he had a chance. All of the bubbles he had fired missed their target, but he still fired them.

But that RPG is dead.

What now?

IC: Rodak / Suits Meeting

In the far back shadows of the Suit's meeting, just at the border of everyones eyesight, Rodak scratched his larges chin with discontent. This news was more than a little disturbing to him, and at the moment, nothing he could come up with would make a profit out of this.

Still, he wasn't fully intimidated yet. "Are we even sure what the antidermis will do?" he asked. "We've had no problems so far."

IC: Volanara / Green Ghetto - Appartment

The Toa of Lightning leaned against the side of the window, her eyes glancing out a few times to look at the city abroad. The chutes, still flowing as ever across the city, with the occasional racer going through; unaware that somewhere, halfway across the city, a small group of individuals were discussing a threat with severity they couldn't possibly hope to understand.

There was also green everywhere, which constantly put her at unease. She hated that bloody color, but there it was - everywhere. She should really choose a better resting spot next time...

After a few seconds, she looked back to the Fe-Toa and replied, with a slight grin of her own, "I have gratitude, of course. But after a few tellings by you, the story declarations would have me leaping with joy. Simply prolonging the inevitable, you understand. And I do prefer syrup, just to get that out of the way."

-Toa Levacius Zehvor :flagusa:

Edited by Toa Levacius Zehvor

"I disapprove of what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

- Evelyn Beatrice Hall (often attributed to Voltaire)

IC:

"Syrup? What, did we cross the border into Typewriter Town somewhere when I wasn't paying attention?"

Fortis leaned back on one heel, bending into more of a less than shape of a parenthesis now; he clung to the lamppost by his index and little fingers, coiled together in a tight grip. The Toa of Iron pursed his lips and then stood up, bouncing onto his feet again and dusting his hands off with an easy shrug. The thief's charming, pearly smile was ambitious and gleaming in the same breath as he walked up besides Volanara and looked out the window with her, leaning forward on his elbows. She towered over him by a good three inches or so, but something about him had always seemed larger than life.

It was, without a doubt, what gave him the right to call himself the lord of the Ghetto without anyone contesting it. He had been born of the dust of uncleaned streets and the sweat shed from the brows of pickpockets as they tailed their quarry; his life had been a series of tests, dilemmas, challenges that had led to the ultimate destiny of claiming the crown of clay that came with ruling over the 'skirts. Even the Stab 'N' Grabbers didn't mess with him if they could help it. Even in the corners too dark for Fortis himself to venture into, he had connections; it could safely be said that he was never truly out of the loop.

Until these pesky Antidermis rumors. Fortis was definitely out of that loop.

"I'll see what I can do," he said, more distant now. It wasn't clear what he was talking about: the syrup or the loop.

IC:

"We're not sure if the Antidermis has adapted to truly possess people, as it did in the days of the old Matoran Universe," Frazazi admitted. "But from what we can discern, the Antidermis is actually synthesizing with the Protodermis in the chutes to create something...new. And we know for a fact that something new is weakening the integrity of the chutes by the day. We're working on synthesizing smaller samples now in our own labs; with any luck, we can figure out what exactly it's trying to do, and hopefully figure out a way to stop it."

-Tyler

Edited by Tyler Durden

SAY IT ONE MORE TIME 

TELL ME WHAT IS ON YOUR MIND

IC: Volanara / Green Ghetto - Apartment

"I kid with you." she replied with a slight chuckle. "And to think, we came up and got ourselves into a city in the clouds in order to escape a bunch of primitives, and now we find ourselves with food shortages across the cities and things as simple as dressing on food hard to come by. I remember the old leaflets my father would show me as a little girl. They spoke of a city where the people were equal. He would tell me how much of a fools dream it was, but at the time I simply read about a perfect city and thought of a utopia to be. Oh, poor fool me..."

As she sat there thinking, she considered the numerous events of the last few days. After a few moment, she asked, "Have you been to Sub-District 1745 since the incident?"

IC: Rodak / Meeting Hall

"Things like this were mentioned when we first began to use antidermis. Do we have some kind of contingency?" he asked. "Report #56 by Toa Balta based on the so-called 'Voya-Nui Events' describes it being countered by energized protodermis at that time."

Edited by Toa Levacius Zehvor

"I disapprove of what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

IC:

"I never like going to the Red Loop if it isn't required," Fortis sighed. "Middle-class scrubs, the lot of 'em. Sub-District 1745 was pretty much just a pimple on the Plaza Nuva's face; everyone dressed fancy, ate well, yadda yadda yadda. I'm almost glad they had a 'gas leak'. Why?"

-Tyler

SAY IT ONE MORE TIME 

TELL ME WHAT IS ON YOUR MIND

OOC: Got the edit in for Rodak, as well.

IC: Volanara / Green Ghetto - Apartment

"Those scrubs are the ones with the funding to get us weapons when we finally take out the suits." she replied. "And I ask because I want to investigate the place. Everyone knows that the Suits are lying through their teeth about the 'gas leak' - nothing of the sorts could take out twenty three hundred men and women so quickly. If we could dig up some dirt on them amongst the wreckage, it would be a powerful tool... I've got enough of the blue and green rings behind me, but the red ring is still too far outside of my grip."

IC: Leyana

"Indeed it does." I remarked, looking at Krax thoughtfully. "One good shot at a crook's mask with this baby and they're good as caught." I said with a grin, tapping the midak skyblaster on my side. Some people called the Midak skyblaster an old and outdated weapon. I called them stupid, and then promptly shoot a sphere of light at their face. It was the oldest weapon in my arsenal, but it was also my best. I never had to reload the thing.

"Gotta love Artakha, he knows how to make a weapon that can remain superior for millennias."

363513066_tobecont.png.5b057f495e0794e9450207c84546738e.png
My Bzprpg ProfilesGhosts of Bara Magna

Skyra | Hakari | Oceanna | Taleen | Arisaka | Zanakra | Kaminari | Drakkar

IC Gearheadville, Riot street

Jek pushed through the diverse crowd of racers, half deafened by their shouts and cheers. He could taste the odor of sweat and unwashed body. Toa and Matoran jostled and bumped him as he pushed his way through the masses. He got a glimpse through the crowd for half a second, and glimpsed the reason for the congregation- a collection of different speeders, arranged in a line. A race was about to begin.
Jek continued to push through the mass of armor and masks, feeling the excitement become almost contagious.
His insane adventure not too long ago, nearly dying twice near the chutes, had shaken him up, thrown his emotions and reasoning around in all the wrong places. After emerging from the broken chute near the engineer and the all too familiar wreck, he had been scared and much too cautious. Something like that just screws you up for a while.
But as time passed, Jek could feel himself fall back to normal, like a pendulumn righting itself, slowly falling back to equilibrium, the position where it belonged. His energy and usual enthusiasm were filling him up again, making him lighter, pulling his mouth into its usual smile.
Where was he going? Right, a place to crash for the night. A place to stay. But there was still a lot of daylight to burn, and Jek wasn’t too rushed. He had time.
On a whim, he decided to watch the race.
He threw himself upwards and clambered up an old fire escape, hanging onto the outside railing because the metal stairs were too clogged with other spectators. It was a bit like the entire subdivision had tried to cram itself into a single street. People were everywhere you looked, on balconies or rooftops or perched on the sides of buildings, trying to a get a better view of the spectacle.
Jek tried to make himself comfortable in his precarious position as he appraised the racers. There was one he knew, on the far left. Jek smiled broadly and cheered along with the rest of the crowd, losing his individuality and concerns as he let his emotions become swept up with theirs.

--------------   Tarrok | Korzaa | Verak | Kirik   --------------

IC: (Adala, Bar, Typerwriter Town) I stare at my notepad, tapping the eraser against the paper. Tap. Tap. Tap. It's a soothing and mesmerizing sound, I like it, so I continue. It's enough to lull me out of focus and slip into a familiar daydream, some pleasant, something removed from all of this. I see the corners of his lips curving into a smirk as I lay there. His heart beats gently, he chuckles slightly, he's ticklish. I can tell, I'll remember this for later. I feel the warmth of his breath, hands reach down to pull me upwards and... "Hey," The Matoran said, jolting me back to reality. It's the Ta-Matoran I saw earlier and he's extending his left outwards. He's a smoker, a trail of smoke following his cigarette. "Name's Volo." Do I really want him to know my name? Frankly I'm old news by now. I can already tell he's what the people of Phan-Metru like to call a Gumshoe, a real one, not these paparazzi that jump on anything they consider sensational, but as I said I'm old news. So much more important news happening right now. I'm a Gumshoe too, but he's not destroyed like me, he survives. I play off my initial as just a little discombobulation and a sheepish red tinges my obsidian cheeks. "Sorry Volo, name's Adala, pleasure to meet you," I smile and reaching out with my right hand, firmly shaking his smaller hand. "Feel free to grab a seat. What brings you my way?" I push my notes out of the way. Nothing of real use on them anyways, just personal notes. A talk would be good, maybe get my mind straight, hadn't talked to anyone in a while, besides he seems pleasant enough. OOC: Sorry Legolover-361, this weak got busier than I planned, but I should be responding much more frequently now.

OOC: No problem. By the way, I edited my post where Volo greets your character because, for some reason, I assumed Adala was male. :PIC: VoloBar, Typewriter TownVolo shrugged in response to Adala's query, sitting at a chair on the opposite side of the table. "You could call talking to people my hobby," he said, which was true. "The more people you talk to, the more of an idea you have of what's going on, y'know? -- and not just what is going on, but how people view it. Really interesting stuff."Adala... The name rang a bell in Volo's mind, but he couldn't tell why it sounded familiar. A lot of names were circling round nowadays, after all. He examined Adala's face for a couple seconds in thought before adding, "I can also recognize a gumshoe when I see one."

IC:

The masses have really joined here today. There have to hundreds of people here today. Already eight other racers joined, making it 10. It was time to start the race once and for all and fight for the cash. I revved my engine and so did the others.

Then a very lovely looking Vo-Toa came from the crowd. She stood about five feet from us. He stood in between me, and the guy on my left.She held something that looked like a gun. I finally realized that this was flare-start race.

She pointed the gun out into the street in front of us. I suddenly felt silent over the crowd, unable to hear the sound of the engine. I couldn't hear anything, just see people moving slowly and the cars itching to go. I returned back to normal as I saw her shoot the flare into the air.

i hit it into first and slammed the gas pedal down to the floor. I launched ahead of every body else, as I made the first turn. It wasn't that long to it, just ahead of the street to the right. The race mainly had turns at every corner. First was this, then some hard right turns. Leading into a long left turn leading into long street. Then back into Riot Street.

I entered the hard right turn, then the hard left. I can see the others catching up to me as I exited the hard left.

gallery_110528_107_5250.jpg

IC: (Enaltai)

Wait, wait, wait, wait. This guy was threatening me? Oh, lovely. Just lovely. You know, there's something you pick up after living in the Ghettos awhile, and that's not giving a single care when someone threatens you. There were so many corporate, criminal, and political fat cats who believed they could get what they want out of us when they threatened us that, really, after a while you just stop giving carks. Not to mention, after a while, you learned to threaten them back, because underneath all that skin they fear the Rabble more than anything.

"I'll be sure to watch myself," the I replied, a semblance of a grin on my face. "It would be a pity if my mouth got me into trouble. Almost as much a pity as some trouble down in the Green, with someone beaten bloody as an unfortunate side effect to their arrogance. T'was nice meeting you, hope we'll meet again."

Just a little hint of what could be.

Edited by Eduard Bernstein

IC(Drox, Tt Bar): This guy really was paranoid.

Although I myself used pencil and paper for everything-excepting my blog posts- Suits rarely did. They championed the technological bounds this city had made. Using old-school material was archaic and crude to them, and they would avoid it whenever possible.

In other words, what was happening was really, really bad.

I looked at the figure in the shadows, staring at the slight glow of his eyes, trying to peek into a window of existence obviously well-shaded by it's owner. Still looking at him as I did so, I reached down to the paper, flipped the page, and quickly scribbled down, "I'm Listening."

I sat down on the well-worn seats of this corner bar, and did a quick scan for bugs. Seeing none, I activated my magnetism power, polarizing my hand lightly. The being in front of me leaned forwards slightly, that was all, but several pieces of the "wall" flew and stuck to my hand. I squeezed it shut, crushing any possible evidence of this conversation. "We're clear," I said, finally settling into a comfortable position in my seat. "Now what'cha got for me?"

-Elrond

Gentlemen, it's time to spread the word. And the word is: Panic

life is not a question of how long we live, but what we do with the life we have

BZRPG profiles

It's amazing what needing to dodge a bunch of energy bubbles will do to your plan-making abilities. I couldn't keep up a train of thought for more than a few seconds because one of those things would shoot past me and impact with some wall. After about half a minute, I decided that enough was enough. I sprinted away from the robot as fast as I could, chucking a fireball in its general direction for good measure.

OOC: @Varren; If only Tyler knew what he had begun when he came up with that term... *cue maniacal laughter*

IC: Typewriter Town Bar - Vod

The ghost of a smile flits across my otherwise unreadable face at Mantox's actions. The listening devices were going to be my next question, but it appears that strange minds think alike in that regard. Gathering the bugs was a good move -- from my point of view, if not from his. That simple action gave me more information on this prospective Gumshoe than possibly Mantox even realized.

1) Mantox is a Toa of Magnetism or Iron, given his powers over the mechanical devices.

2) He's experienced in this field of work; enough to recognize the risks of meeting in a place like this.

3) He's careful; a commendable trait; but with a touch of ruthlessness. Also commendable.

4) He's intuitive. We need someone like that on this job.

I lean back in my seat, assuming the classical, cliched "shadowy-executive-job-giving" posture which has been prevalent throughout media since the dawn of time. Another sign of how much older I am compared to my fellow workers. First the paper and pens, now this; thank Spirit I don't give a single piece of dung about what anyone thinks of me anymore, or I might be rather self-conscious about it.

"There are things I'm about to tell you which you already know," I say simply, "In fact, most of what's about to come out of my mouth is probably old news to you. On the other, you are a Gumshoe, so most things are probably old news to you by now.

None the less, I've spent enough time around you journalistic-types to realize that there's one thing each and every one of you love: the chance to make headlines. And, Mr. Mantox, that's exactly what I'm going to give to you today."

-Void

[ BZPRPG ]

IC: (Adala)

My heart sinked right into my stomach when he recognizes me and I can tell I was wearing it on my face. I expected questions, even if they weren't other Gumshoes people always asked questions. Why did I do it? I told them I didn't but no one believed me. I never would have hidden information like that from the public, but someone planted it in my desk at work, they wanted me gone, but not just gone, they wanted me broken and they got it. I have barely anything left now. I looked to the Ta-Matoran and I see how he's still trying to remember the rest of the info on me. Given the way he spoke and talked about his career, he wasn't trying to hide who he was, in fact he seemed sort of proud. A pride I once had, I had nothing to be proud of anymore. I had nothing worth hiding anymore, so I don't even try to hide it here.

"I thought somebody was like me old news. Isn't the disappearance of a certain Deputy Minister more important to every Gumshoe right now?" I replied. Important as he was, it felt like a lot of other press was covering it, just to distract from the real issues. Like many of the nasty rumours that actually had some truth, if you looked deep enough into the dark. Not many people wanted to look too far into the void, had a nasty way of reminding them things.

gallery_99567_147_39590.jpg

It's amazing what needing to dodge a bunch of energy bubbles will do to your plan-making abilities. I couldn't keep up a train of thought for more than a few seconds because one of those things would shoot past me and impact with some wall. After about half a minute, I decided that enough was enough. I sprinted away from the robot as fast as I could, chucking a fireball in its general direction for good measure.

A ball of flames soared at the Kranua, and hit it. Unit #1 slowed down, and then ran back out, his armor protecting him. This was going nowhere. He needed to do something drastic. The heavy duty Vahki exploded into sand, and whipped across the streets.

IC:

"Hey mister, are you sure that thing works?"

Kolgar would turn to see Aunae standing there, looking at the device in his hands, almost as if she knew what it was.

IC: Koglar

"Well, not entirely. It's an Antidermis detector. It works in lab conditions, and this is its first field test. The fact that it isn't ready anything is almost good, actually. Say, weren't you behind me when that guy nearly hit me?"

OOC:

Sonicboom, profiles go in the discussion topic, here.

But that RPG is dead.

What now?

IC:

I entered a the long turn, so I began initiating a drift. I hit the E-brake just a little, then turned the wheel right while maintaining a good speed and turn. I down shifted so as to get the maximum torque in car for this drift. I stopped the drift as soon as I exited the turn, and hit third gear.

By the way this car is going fast, I can see why they need so many gears, especially since it has a seventh gear. The crowd cheered as I came out of the long turn; loving that big drift that I made. Especially since this is AWD.

I hit the gas as hard as I can to get a fast pace of this race, but I was already at the end of the road when I slammed the brakes. I down shifted as fast as I could so my speed could fall faster as well. Once I hit first gear, I turned and crossed the finish line, but they were still cheering on. Why?

It was because this is a circuit race. Making one full lap on a track like this is the minimum you can go. But this was a two lap race. I was in the lead, and no one behind me to get the upper hand.

gallery_110528_107_5250.jpg

The Toa of Crystal nodded, and started moving around. Just as he pointed the device at the Chutes, a low reading came up. Koglar looked at the device, and started moving closer to the Chutes. The readings grew stronger, and a static hissing grew louder and more frequent.

But that RPG is dead.

What now?

OOC: A Deputy Minister disappeared? I must've missed something in this topic.IC: VoloBar, Typewriter Town"I'm pretty sure you are old news," he said, "not to mention unimportant. As for important news... well, reporters are probably flocking to the Deputy Minister story like bees to honey. I don't want to be a dime-a-dozen reporter."Volo leaned against the back of his chair, his eyes still fixed on Adala's. She had the face of someone on the ropes, but he hadn't trapped her there; whatever had been said about her in the media obviously still affected her. Maybe she'd been the victim of a smear campaign -- yes, that was probably it, but Volo had never really paid attention to smear campaigns and so still couldn't recognize Adala.He tapped with his index finger the end of his cigarette to rid it of ash."Honestly. I only wanted to talk."

"Yeah. If it is correct, there are trace amounts of Antidermis in the Chutes. And since the Chutes move all around Phan-Metru, there is Antidermis in all of the Chutes. This can't be good." Koglar tapped the top of the device and poked it, trying to see if it was malfunctioning. Nothing he did changed it.

But that RPG is dead.

What now?

IC(Drox, TT Bar):

I'm a man of few words.

Words are pointless unless you have something behind them, an action that defines your words. Otherwise, you have a pretty speech, which doesn't work too well on the streets. Most speeches on the streets last maybe two words before you get socked in the jaw. As someone long ago said, "A smile gets you far; a smile and a gun gets you farther."

With this in mind, I cut off the suit's narrative, hoping to throw him off balance. "That's true. Most stuff is old news to me. So, excuse the gruffness, Vod - And I know that's you. The green armour and the build gave it away- and let me lay what I know out to you. Then you can fill in the details."

I took a deep breath, hoping I hadn't rubbed this suit the wrong way. Oh, well, couldn't be helped. I pushed on. "First, about you. You're one of the better suits up with the powers that be. You're pretty clean, which means that you either are as idealist and clean as I think you are -which is a good thing- or you're very, very good at keeping your ends closed. We need more of your kind if it's the former. Second, about the situation, or situations. I know that there was a leak of our power source, which is actually purified antidermis. But I also know that one of your suit friends has disappeared. So which problem is it?"

-Elrond

Gentlemen, it's time to spread the word. And the word is: Panic

life is not a question of how long we live, but what we do with the life we have

BZRPG profiles

The reporter shrugged and said, "Why not. What I want to do is get a sample of the liquid in the Chutes, and then I will test it for Antidermis back at my paper's lab. You could help by making a metal sphere to hold the liquid."

But that RPG is dead.

What now?

IC: Avolka / Gearheadville - Rooftops

Leaping and leaping and leaping and leaping. I still had a good lead on the Maxilos, but my thigh muscles were on fire. I'd have to drop down to street level soon or I'd trip up. So I did. Here, it was long, flat, and, most importantly, a straight run to the Workshop. I kicked another switch on the board, and the Thruster Modules whirred into life with a metallic scream. When Liluke finally caught the trail, it'd be pretty faint.

Let's see that Copper catch up to me now.

The Writer Formerly Known as Zeal
BZPRPG Profiles
Ghosts of Bara Magna Profiles