BZPRPG News and Discussion

Nuju Metru

Hey, just something that's been bugging me. I don't recall if there's an explicit rule against it, but I've seen a few people in different location topics explicitly stating IC that they're breaking the fourth wall.

It's funny to imply it once or twice, but it's starting to be taken way too far and disrupts the flow of the story.

Embers - A Bionicle Saga - Chapters/Review

Class Is Out - A Farewell To Corpus Rahkshi - Chapters/Review

BZPRPG Characters - Minnorak, Kain, T'harrak, Savis, Vazaria, Lash

BZPRPG Mercenary Group - The Outsiders - Description - History - Base

Ghosts Of Bara Magna - Ash Tribe - Precipere - Kehla, Somok, Skrall, Gayle, Avinus, Zha'ar

It's always happened. And it will unfortunately always happen.

I occasionally return to BZP for a nostalgic trip back. Hit me up on discord if you need anything. 

BZPRPG Characters that I will possibly revive, Mons-Shajs-Tarotrix-Aryll Vudigg-Jorruk Yokin-Senavysh Angavur

Still doesn't compare to that one guy who became self-aware and tried to base a plot around killing the players and assuming control.

Wait, what?

I occasionally return to BZP for a nostalgic trip back. Hit me up on discord if you need anything. 

BZPRPG Characters that I will possibly revive, Mons-Shajs-Tarotrix-Aryll Vudigg-Jorruk Yokin-Senavysh Angavur

I've noticed people breaking the fourth wall too... It's distracting and really not something that helps the story go along.  It's completely banned in most of the roleplays I take part in, so I'm used to steering away from that.  It is fun sometimes though, but that's what backstage/OOC roleplays are for haha

Now I must sleep.  More BZPRPG tomorrow.  lD

"a b c d e f g, Rahkshi are my enemy.

Some are black, some are blue.

That one's chewing on my shoe.

Now I'm running for my life,

One of the Rahkshi has a knife!"

~ My 8 year old sister

BZPRPG PROFILES

Tukeli [+Kiru]

CORPUS RAHKSHI

Sohnii

Breaking the wall is one thing; I've seen a few people do it here and there do it, and it's usually pretty funny.

What I was specifically refering to in my earlier post was characters actually using the term and basically saying things like "I am breaking the fourth wall".

The usage of first person makes it even more of an eyesore.

Ghosts Of Bara Magna - Ash Tribe - Precipere - Kehla, Somok, Skrall, Gayle, Avinus, Zha'ar

Oh ok.  xD 

...people have their character actually say that they're breaking the fourth wall? Oo That's new, haha.  To each their own, I suppose.  But I can understand why that'd get annoying.

I break the fourth wall.  I just don't do it in-character.  It's more a behind the scenes sort of thing XP

~ My 8 year old sister

BZPRPG PROFILES

Tukeli [+Kiru]

CORPUS RAHKSHI

Sohnii

The fourth wall is the imaginary "wall" at the front of the stage in a traditional three-walled box set in a proscenium theatre, through which the audience sees the action in the world of the play. The idea of the fourth wall was made explicit by philosopher and critic Denis Diderot and spread in 19th-century theatre with the advent of theatrical realism, which extended the idea to the imaginary boundary between any fictional work and its audience.

Speaking directly to, otherwise acknowledging or doing something to the audience through this imaginary wall – or, in film and television, through a camera – is known as "breaking the fourth wall". As it is a penetration of a boundary normally set up or assumed by works of fiction, this is considered a metafictional technique. In literature and video games, it occurs when a character acknowledges the reader or player.

The fourth wall should not be confused with the aside or the soliloquy, dramatic devices often used by playwrights where the character on stage is delivering an inner monologue, giving the audience insight into their thoughts.

Hmm, guess you're right lD I apologize.

I've actually seen the term be used in multiple different ways in the past few years, so I get confused sometimes. owo

Edited by Pancake

~ My 8 year old sister

BZPRPG PROFILES

Tukeli [+Kiru]

CORPUS RAHKSHI

Sohnii

all in all, you're just a

nother break in the wall

Seriously though, yeah, gratuitous breaking of the fourth wall is frowned upon, especially if the character acknowledges it out loud. If you do it cleverly (see: Grokk) it's ok, and can be a fun narrative device.

Don't try to be Deadpool. You're not Deadpool. Even Deadpool isn't Deadpool.

• Upvote 11

sig_panel_bzprpg.pngsig_panel_profiles.pngsig_panel_flickr.pngsig_panel_steam.pngsig_panel_n7.png

I would personally say that I don't recommend attempting it. There technically isn't a rule against it, but it is far, far too easy to do it wrong, and when you do, it just comes off as obnoxious. Even when used correctly it should only be done exceedingly sparingly, like the occasionally leaning on the fourth wall in a Grokk post.

(Note: When I say "you", I don't mean you specifically, Norik. :P)

• Upvote 1

fK5oqYf.jpg

On this eve, the thirtieth anniversary of that first colony, many are left to wonder; is the world fast approaching a breaking point?

Breaking Point: An OTC Mecha RPG

So...um...Morie's been waiting for an audience at the palace for like an hour.  Should she just leave?

There's a dozen selves inside you, trying to be the one to run the dials

bLSFh.gif ylbon.gif KqsNO.gif zHdXI.gif CIPdo.gif

[BZPRPG Profiles]

Hatchi - Talli - Ranok - Lucira - FerellisMorie - Fanai - Akiyo - Yukie - Shuuan - Ilykaed - Pradhai - Ipsudir

And some aren't even on your side.

Okay, I need a bit of clarification here. How goes the Entropy Beetle situation? I hadn't looked at Le in a week or two.

The last thing I remember was the Gukko Force evacuating civilians and gathering fighters in the marketplace, but the current posts make it seem like Le-Koro has already been destroyed.

What is going on?

Okay, I need a bit of clarification here. How goes the Entropy Beetle situation? I hadn't looked at Le in a week or two.

The last thing I remember was the Gukko Force evacuating civilians and gathering fighters in the marketplace, but the current posts make it seem like Le-Koro has already been destroyed.

What is going on?

Le-Koro hasn't been destroyed. That was a mistake on the part of some of our new players ;)

sig_panel_bzprpg.pngsig_panel_profiles.pngsig_panel_flickr.pngsig_panel_steam.pngsig_panel_n7.png

Who's controlling the Entropy beetles anyway?

There's a dozen selves inside you, trying to be the one to run the dials

bLSFh.gif ylbon.gif KqsNO.gif zHdXI.gif CIPdo.gif

[BZPRPG Profiles]

Hatchi - Talli - Ranok - Lucira - FerellisMorie - Fanai - Akiyo - Yukie - Shuuan - Ilykaed - Pradhai - Ipsudir

And some aren't even on your side.