Bzprpg News And Discussion

Friar Tuck

The Maasi currently consist of Kaithas (team leaderish), Slannak, and Desilix. Their mission consists of finding their destiny (and the rest of their team), which Kaithas has seen in a vision where he is leading the group through a pair of giant gates.Maasi means something, but it'll just be mildly confusing now.

No such thing as destiny.

BZPRPG Profiles

Alright guys, I've created a new storyline: The Family Business. It's a mafia story arc, based on The Godfather. The backstory is as such: The Storukru family once dominated the streets of Mata Nui. Working from the shadows, they were one of the most powerful groups in the black market. However, they were struck down by the K'raté criminal family and after a failed science project attempting to give Skakdi Toa powers, the Don of the Storukru family, Zharuk, (me) mysteriously disappeared. The K'raté family then fell apart from the inside and the Don, Aakil, (somebody I will choose) went into hiding. Recently, Zharuk has reappeared on the island working to reclaim his empire, but there are forces trying to keep him attaining his goal...Basically, I'm starting a mafia, and to add some spice to the mix, I'm letting one other person make their own. If you want to be that person, either make a new character, or adapt an existing character to enter in. The character's name will be Aakil; he can be any species you want; emphasis on HE. Pm your entries to me, and in a week's time (I hope), I'll decide which one will become the Don. For now, I'm only allowing one other major gang to go into the storyline to prevent Mata Nui from becoming mobster central and to preserve the tribal feeling of Mata Nui, but there's nothing stopping you from making your own gang.If you want to join one of the families as a soldier/thug, just pm your request to either me or whoever the other don is after I have chosen him/her; no early joining. I've realized that if I use this policy, my character might not have a very high chance of surviving before the other don is picked. Registration for the Storukru family is open; positions wanted are advisor, recorder, underdon, and capos. However, once the K'raté family has been established, none of us can attack the other until we agree that we are ready to fight.Also, I'm using an already existing character for my don, so in the event that he gets killed before the other don is chosen, I will make a new character.Alright, enough talking. If you ever wanted to be a don, now's your chance!

Edited by Constructman

Not trying to mean here or anything, but might I suggest something slightly more original and....how shall I put it....bioniclish? Cause what I'm seeing here is pretty much a carbon copy of the Godfather...I mean even the exact same names and everything. It's just not very Bionicle like and doesn't really fit...

363513066_tobecont.png.5b057f495e0794e9450207c84546738e.png
My Bzprpg ProfilesGhosts of Bara Magna

Skyra | Hakari | Oceanna | Taleen | Arisaka | Zanakra | Kaminari | Drakkar

Alright guys, I've created a new storyline: The Family Business. It's a mafia story arc, based on The Godfather. The backstory is as such: The Corleone family once dominated the streets of Mata Nui. Working from the shadows, they controlled many of the businesses on the island. However, they were struck down by the Tattaglia criminal family and after a failed science project attempting to give Skakdi Toa powers, the Don of the Corleone family, Michael, (me) mysteriously disappeared. The Tattaglia family then fell apart from the inside and the Don, Philip, (somebody I will choose) went into hiding. Recently, Michael has reappeared on the island under the alias of Zharuk working to reclaim his empire, but there are forces trying to keep him attaining his goal...Basically, I'm starting a mafia, and to add some spice to the mix, I'm letting one other person make their own. If you want to be that person, either make a new character, or adapt an existing character to enter in. The character's real name will by Philip Tattaglia and you should make a Bionicle-esque civilian name. Pm your entries to me, and in a week's time (I hope), I'll decide which one will become the Don. For now, I'm only allowing one other major gang to go into the storyline to prevent Mata Nui from becoming mobster central and to preserve the tribal feeling of Mata Nui, but there's nothing stopping you from making your own gang.If you want to join one of the families as a soldier/thug, just pm your request to either me or whoever the other don is after I have chosen him/her; no early joining.Also, I'm using an already existing character for my don, so in the event that he gets killed before the other don is chosen, I will make a new character.Alright, enough talking. If you ever wanted to be a don, now's your chance!
If you're ever making a character or a plotline, avoid basing it off anything else. This goes double for groups. You'll find yourself much more satisfied when you succeed in creating something interesting and original than trying to take something else and fit it into the RPG.Really.Setting up a plot or group is usually pretty fun. But when you try to fit something based off another IRL group/person/occurrence, what you get is an experience that's hardly an experience at all, because it'll feel empty. And although it might be "fun" (albeit hardly), it certainly won't be fulfilling or interesting.I'm not saying it isn't possible to pull something like this off, but I would suggest something more original.EDIT:Also, something I've learned from personal experience, if you're looking to run a plot, don't. Not unless you've played for a few years. Unless it's really simple. I thought I was ready for running the MB plot seeing as it's my second season in the RPG, but I wasn't. Now, part of that was the complexity, but I think it would've been a lot easier if I had done it maybe next year, just because of the why I've set stuff up and written it out. Edited by We Are Legion

samusbzpsig2.png.4c2dcd02e48c2219fb375b936c4a17ee.png
| BZPRPG Profiles |

Not trying to mean here or anything, but might I suggest something slightly more original and....how shall I put it....bioniclish? Cause what I'm seeing here is pretty much a carbon copy of the Godfather...I mean even the exact same names and everything. It's just not very Bionicle like and doesn't really fit...
If you're ever making a character or a plotline, avoid basing it off anything else. This goes double for groups. You'll find yourself much more satisfied when you succeed in creating something interesting and original than trying to take something else and fit it into the RPG. Really. Setting up a plot or group is usually pretty fun. But when you try to fit something based off another IRL group/person/occurrence, what you get is an experience that's hardly an experience at all, because it'll feel empty. And although it might be "fun" (albeit hardly), it certainly won't be fulfilling or interesting. I'm not saying it isn't possible to pull something like this off, but I would suggest something more original. EDIT: Also, something I've learned from personal experience, if you're looking to run a plot, don't. Not unless you've played for a few years. Unless it's really simple. I thought I was ready for running the MB plot seeing as it's my second season in the RPG, but I wasn't. Now, part of that was the complexity, but I think it would've been a lot easier if I had done it maybe next year, just because of the why I've set stuff up and written it out.
These guys are right, Constructman. Don't take this the wrong way - they are genuinely trying to help you. There is a very good reason why so many RPers hate carbon-copy expies, especially groups and storylines consisting of them.Originality is the spice of the BZPRPG. Could Lego ever have come up with the rich world we've created here? I highly doubt it.Ok, you've had the don'ts; I'll give you the dos.So far, I've never created a pre-planned story arc. I've participated (and downright interfered) in those of others, but never made on myself. I have, however, created successful character groups (the best example so far being the Crew of the Infernavika). True, I guided events a little, but I always let the story develop of its own accord. Rather than creating the story and letting the group form itself, I prefer to create the group and let the story form itself. It's more fun for me that way, because even I don't know what's going to happen XDMake your characters' names original, and most importantly, Bionicle-sounding. One of my main bugbears in the BZPRPG is people using real-life christian names for their characters. Just don't. It sounds wrong. (Sorry, bit of a "don't" there XD)Think about how a Mafia would really exist and interact in the world of Mata Nui. Your characters used to control commerce on Mata Nui? Big claim. Scale it down a little. The Cultured Gentry already fill that niche, and that's a staff-made group. Organised crime on this island is certainly possible, but they would never gain the level of power you're talking about (except in Xa-Koro, perhaps, where anything goes).

sig_panel_bzprpg.pngsig_panel_profiles.pngsig_panel_flickr.pngsig_panel_steam.pngsig_panel_n7.png

Make your characters' names original, and most importantly, Bionicle-sounding. One of my main bugbears in the BZPRPG is people using real-life christian names for their characters. Just don't. It sounds wrong. (Sorry, bit of a "don't" there XD)
How I come up with names is to think of an attribute that involves the character, then mess with it untill it sounds bionicle-y. EX: Ning-Lightning, Amakav-Vakama, Tegam-magnet.Others I just make something up, like Tangura, Cretilian, and Nogow.

Alright guys, I've created a new storyline: The Family Business. It's a mafia story arc, based on The Godfather. The backstory is as such: The Corleone family once dominated the streets of Mata Nui. Working from the shadows, they controlled many of the businesses on the island. However, they were struck down by the Tattaglia criminal family and after a failed science project attempting to give Skakdi Toa powers, the Don of the Corleone family, Michael, (me) mysteriously disappeared. The Tattaglia family then fell apart from the inside and the Don, Philip, (somebody I will choose) went into hiding. Recently, Michael has reappeared on the island under the alias of Zharuk working to reclaim his empire, but there are forces trying to keep him attaining his goal...Basically, I'm starting a mafia, and to add some spice to the mix, I'm letting one other person make their own. If you want to be that person, either make a new character, or adapt an existing character to enter in. The character's real name will by Philip Tattaglia and you should make a Bionicle-esque civilian name. Pm your entries to me, and in a week's time (I hope), I'll decide which one will become the Don. For now, I'm only allowing one other major gang to go into the storyline to prevent Mata Nui from becoming mobster central and to preserve the tribal feeling of Mata Nui, but there's nothing stopping you from making your own gang.If you want to join one of the families as a soldier/thug, just pm your request to either me or whoever the other don is after I have chosen him/her; no early joining.Also, I'm using an already existing character for my don, so in the event that he gets killed before the other don is chosen, I will make a new character.Alright, enough talking. If you ever wanted to be a don, now's your chance!
I...I...http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m0dtff866f1qfont0o1_500.gifDo not post images larger than 500 kB. -B6-Teezy Edited by Black Six

SAY IT ONE MORE TIME 

TELL ME WHAT IS ON YOUR MIND

Not trying to mean here or anything, but might I suggest something slightly more original and....how shall I put it....bioniclish?
Does it being "bioniclish" even mattered, one way or the other?I mean, if we wanted to keep things at all similar to Bionicle we'd have to ban Tyler from playing, probably. Which would be bad, I think. Edited by BenLuke-116

I came up with Kaithas by taking a deity of time's name, Kairos, and replacing the r with th and the o with a(This was when I was going for a Toa of Time). For the Maasi, on the other hand, I took a word and translated it into Swahili.

Edited by Toa Kaithas

BZPRPG Profiles

Does it being "bioniclish" even mattered, one way or the other?I mean, if we wanted to keep things at all similar to Bionicle we'd have to ban Tyler from playing, probably. Which would be bad, I think.
Yeah let's ban Tyler! =D Why would we have to do that again? I didn't say it had to be similar to Bionicle, whatever that means. What I was saying was that literally coping and pasting something from some other work of fiction and throwing into this RPG is a terrible idea. There is nothing wrong with starting a mafia in this game, but please don't copy the Godfather word for word, use your own ideas and imagination make it fit into the island of Mata Nui. Which Tyler can do fabulously, even if the Crimison Nova was a flop. :3 Edited by King Snelly

363513066_tobecont.png.5b057f495e0794e9450207c84546738e.png
My Bzprpg ProfilesGhosts of Bara Magna

Skyra | Hakari | Oceanna | Taleen | Arisaka | Zanakra | Kaminari | Drakkar

A few questions about the Cultured Gentry:

• What species are allowed?
  • How rich does a character need to be to get in?
  • Are there any special traits required?

"I pitea the fool!"

(quote by Chro)

98.7% OF BZPOWER MEMBERS HAVEN'T SEEN MY BUCKET 

IF YOU ARE ONE OF THE 1.3% THAT HAS SEEN MY BUCKET, COPY THIS AND PASTE IT INTO YOUR SIGNATURE

I MISS MY BUCKET 

Not trying to mean here or anything, but might I suggest something slightly more original and....how shall I put it....bioniclish?
Does it being "bioniclish" even mattered, one way or the other?I mean, if we wanted to keep things at all similar to Bionicle we'd have to ban Tyler from playing, probably. Which would be bad, I think.
Oh. Hey. This was just what I needed to read.I feel like this would be a good time to take a few days off. See you guys on the weekend or something.-Teezy Edited by Tyler Durden

SAY IT ONE MORE TIME 

TELL ME WHAT IS ON YOUR MIND

A few questions about the Cultured Gentry:
  • What species are allowed?
  • How rich does a character need to be to get in?
  • Are there any special traits required?

Here's my understnding of it. I don't run it, so I may be wrong.
  1. Any species can join, so long as they meet the other requirements.
  2. The character should own their own (successful) business. Apart from that, they can be anywhere on the scale from well-off to affluent to filthy-stinking-rich.
  3. As far as personality goes, I have this from Emzee.
    One thing to note is the culture. Naturally, people in the CG are known to think themselves as superior to others. If your characters are highly averse to that type of attitude then they won't really fit it.

Hope that helps.

Edited by The Lorax

ppg2.png

Oh. Hey. This was just what I needed to read.I feel like this would be a good time to take a few days off. See you guys on the weekend or something.-Teezy
... Eh, I'mma take a few days off as well.I've things to do and to get over. Pretty much ditto to Tyler's post.-Dovydas

Is anyone interested in the offer? I haven't gotten any pms yet (yeah, I know I'm being impatient) but if you guys aren't interested, say it now
Don't have enough space in profile post. Can't do.Also, it might be time for me to take a break as well ...Nah, I'm joking. I'll just be here ... floating around.

Okay, the Toa Maasi need two more members. They currently consist of Kaithas, Merla, Slannak, and Desilix. I don't want to have to resort to making me own characters to fill in the last spots...
Kaithas, I was wondering; did you get staff permission for those visions? Because I thought that counted as metagaming unless you had specific permission...Then again, maybe I'm wrong XD Edited by Ghosthands

sig_panel_bzprpg.pngsig_panel_profiles.pngsig_panel_flickr.pngsig_panel_steam.pngsig_panel_n7.png

@Visaru: That sounds like a good idea. Just state some relation to Aakil, and give Alyo the surname K'raté and you're ready to head off in the world of the mob. You're not gonna be guaranteed the spot of the don but you'll still be somebody important (ie Underdon, Contabile, Primo Capo, etc). We still have to wait a week for who's gonna be the donAlso, I changed my mind about the registration somewhat. Registration for the positions of consigliere (advisor), contabile (record keeper), primo capo, capo, and underdon is open for the Strorukru family. Keep in mind that the former two positions are mostly pacifist unless the don (me) is in direct danger, and you do not have permission to attack the K'raté family until they give me permission and both sides have sizable and fairly equal forces

Edited by Constructman

Okay, the Toa Maasi need two more members. They currently consist of Kaithas, Merla, Slannak, and Desilix. I don't want to have to resort to making me own characters to fill in the last spots...
Kaithas, I was wondering; did you get staff permission for those visions? Because I thought that counted as metagaming unless you had specific permission...Then again, maybe I'm wrong XD
Oh wells. The vision was not originally my idea, but the rhymes were. They originally just consisted of Kaithas randomly saying them without control. Edited by Toa Kaithas

BZPRPG Profiles

I just read through the rules, and this isn't meta-gaming per se, as all they are doing is pulling the Maasi together. Kaithas' tells who the Maasi are once they've already been found. It's very vague.
The last time anyone had a vision of any kind without explicit staff permission, they got smited.Brutally.

fK5oqYf.jpg

On this eve, the thirtieth anniversary of that first colony, many are left to wonder; is the world fast approaching a breaking point?

Breaking Point: An OTC Mecha RPG

I just read through the rules, and this isn't meta-gaming per se, as all they are doing is pulling the Maasi together. Kaithas' tells who the Maasi are once they've already been found. It's very vague.
The last time anyone had a vision of any kind without explicit staff permission, they got smited.Brutally.
OhHai gaizHai.

profiles i guess

i'm a south american giant otter now

That's 'cause they had a vision about The Second Great Prophecy. I would think visions about personal plots should be okay.
So are there any Matoran characters that would be interested in joining Miha and Taro's (Hopefully) Plot Relevant Team? I'd just like to know before the team forms and stuff starts happening.
Lara would like to explore and join. Laki would help if he wasn't already tied up in the ILS and 'cause I wouldn't want two of my characters on that team. Anyway, I am very interested. Edited by Visaru

--------------   Tarrok | Korzaa | Verak | Kirik   --------------