BZP Mafia Discussion

Voltex

We're not. We established Geneva-esque conventions against unnecessary pre-game spot claiming a long time ago-- for good reasons which can already be somewhat seen here.

*Snaps fingers*

the best way to deal with spot claiming is to ignore it and just put people down in the order they sign up

• Upvote 8

All are not the same

But three shall be as one

Freedom in the flame

The end has just begun

We're not. We established Geneva-esque conventions against unnecessary pre-game spot claiming a long time ago-- for good reasons which can already be somewhat seen here.

*Snaps fingers*

the best way to deal with spot claiming is to ignore it and just put people down in the order they sign up

until people start demanding you give them the spot that correlates to the order in which they signed up

• Upvote 3

(guess I'll add this here cuz I think it actually might be an interesting game idea, maybe for a T&E game. Are those even still a thing anymore?)

[snip]
Someone needs to make an entire mad libs mafia game. I feel like that has some real potential.

Edit- Ooh! And their could be roles that had special powers to fill out different blanks like nouns and adjectives and such

• Upvote 2

2xu8Ptu.png

Had this idea in my head for awhile, took 5 seconds to jot it down and post it after some nudging from Luroka:

BIONICLE MAFIA: DETERMINATION

Remnants.

Memories of a forgotten past.

They are what is left out of all the pieces that fell away and became nothing.

Those that are too determined to stay.

For them, survival is a practiced art of perfection; to live you must be in harmony.

But after so many years, corruption grows once more – and it cannot be allowed to spread, else it cause the end of the end.

Do you have the determination it will take to survive?

---

RULES

1-Vote changes are not permitted.

2-All BZP Rules Apply.

3-Once killed, players can no longer have an impact on the game.

4-Role revealing is not allowed.

ROLES

Matoran x14 – Just about as ordinary as it is possible to get; can vote each day on the killer.

Medic x1 – Can protect one person each night from death… but beware protecting a Shadow.

Detective x1 – Can investigate one person each night… and perhaps even push beyond their limits.

Toa of Shadow x2 – Can corrupt one other player into a Shadow Matoran each night until there are three Shadow Matoran; these two Toa must be slain to stop the spread of corruption.

DETERMINATION

You didn’t survive this far by lacking determination, that’s for sure. But what is determination?

Each time an action taken by another player (or players) will impact you, you will be given a chance to counteract that action by making a “Determination Roll”, which consists of an RNG spin. The odds of success can vary depending on the action you’re trying to stop and how many other players you’re up against.

Should your Determination Roll succeed, the other player can then make a Determination Roll of their own – albeit with decreased odds of success. Should they succeed, you can make another roll with your odds of success decreased even further; this could theoretically continue until it becomes impossible for one side to succeed in their roll.

When taking an action, you might also be able to make a Determination Roll.

Those blessed with enough Determination might find themselves to be an impossible target for their enemies.

Thoughts?

• Upvote 2

In the description for the Toa of Shadow it says "these two Toa must be slain to stop the spread of corruption", but the Toa of Shadow appears to be the only Toa. Some clarification of that would be nice.

It is listed as two Toa of Shadow. Hence both needing to be killed.

While the RNG is a staple of Mafia, at least as far as early-game voting goes, I feel like a game determined entirely by the RNG wouldn't be much fun. It needs something else.

Maybe you get a free reroll every time you vote for and successfully lynch a player on the other side?

That would make the Mafia a bit OP though...

~Unit#phntk#1

• Upvote 3

While the RNG is a staple of Mafia, at least as far as early-game voting goes, I feel like a game determined entirely by the RNG wouldn't be much fun. It needs something else.

Maybe you get a free reroll every time you vote for and successfully lynch a player on the other side?

~Unit#phntk#1

But isn't MoUP a Mafia game (at least for the first two games) determined entirely by RNG, even worse than this game is?

The big flaw isn't the RNG use...it's just that there are too many RNG rolls between scenes. For example, let's say I'm a target of the Mafia. Obviously I roll a Determination Roll because I want to live. The Mafia, frustrated, rolls against me, I roll back, and so on. Meanwhile everyone else is waiting for the scene, wondering what in the Sam Hill is going on. 

~Unit#phntk#1

But isn't MoUP a Mafia game (at least for the first two games) determined entirely by RNG, even worse than this game is?

The big flaw isn't the RNG use...it's just that there are too many RNG rolls between scenes. For example, let's say I'm a target of the Mafia. Obviously I roll a Determination Roll because I want to live. The Mafia, frustrated, rolls against me, I roll back, and so on. Meanwhile everyone else is waiting for the scene, wondering what in the Sam Hill is going on. 

Wouldn't take that long. If a player wants to waste my time by delaying a roll rather than give a straight answer, it'll be counted as if they never rolled at all.

Let's say the RNG is on a 1-10 scale. The Mafia sends Unit to kill you. If you do not roll, they succeed.

So you decide to roll (obviously). Now, in order for this first roll to succeed, the RNG must hit above 5. So if it lands on 6, 7, 8, 9, or 10, your determination will save you. Those odds are fairly good, no?

Now, if your roll fails, then obviously, the Mafia succeeds in killing you. But let us assume that it succeeds. Now I go back to the Mafia, and I tell them: your target rolled, and they were successful. So I make the offer to them: they can either allow you to survive the attack, or they can roll for determination.

Let's assume they decide upon the latter. Their odds, however, have now decreased; in order to succeed, the RNG must hit above 6. So now only 7, 8, 9, or 10 will allow them a successful attempt. If they fail, you survive anyway; but let us assume that they succeed.

I return to you. I make the offer again; but now, if you want to survive, the RNG must hit above 7. If you succeed, the Mafia's RNG will have to hit above 8; if they succeed once more, you will have to hope that the RNG hits 10 on the dot. Should it go that far, you would survive the attack, as the Mafia's next roll would be a guaranteed failure.

On paper, this looks like a long process; but when each night has a 24 hour time limit, your hand is forced. You will either roll, either having success or failure; or you will deny the roll, and accept your fate. When possible, I try to make sure that any Mafia game I host is over quickly - the fewer delays, the better. So even if every single action each night is forced as far and as long as it can go, that night would take no more than 24 hours (barring any additional time to write the scene, which is minimal at best).

---

Of course, the issue of time becomes a non-matter the moment that I, as the host, decide that I shall allot only 24 hours to a night or day. Whether the players take advantage of the tools given to them within that time frame is entirely up to them; but whether they decide to use them or not, the 24 hours will end, and results will be had.

My only problem is, right now, I don't see why there is any reason to not roll, right? Cause if you fail you just get the same effect as if you just didn't roll. If you are going to give the players a choice, then perhaps some reason why failing a roll is worse that just taking the effect? Or, perhaps, some other way to make it worthwhile. Because, right now, it really just seems like a way that makes some people fail sometimes perhaps.

It basically just needs some way to make the Determination mechanic actually provide meaningful decisions for the players to make, even if it's just choosing whether or not to continue rolling.

• Upvote 3

My only problem is, right now, I don't see why there is any reason to not roll, right? Cause if you fail you just get the same effect as if you just didn't roll. If you are going to give the players a choice, then perhaps some reason why failing a roll is worse that just taking the effect? Or, perhaps, some other way to make it worthwhile. Because, right now, it really just seems like a way that makes some people fail sometimes perhaps.

It basically just needs some way to make the Determination mechanic actually provide meaningful decisions for the players to make, even if it's just choosing whether or not to continue rolling.

Hmm. Resurrection-type role, perhaps. If you decide to make a Determination roll and you fail, you can't be resurrected - but if you decide to accept your fate, a resurrection role could bring you back.

• Upvote 4

Hmm. Resurrection-type role, perhaps. If you decide to make a Determination roll and you fail, you can't be resurrected - but if you decide to accept your fate, a resurrection role could bring you back.

That in and of itself helps a ton. Like, so terrible much.

Of course, when that role dies it then resets it back to the start, but it does help a lot. Especially if this role would also be able to revive the Anti-Town, somehow? Or, just to make sure that the Anti-Town also has a reason to choose. *shrug*

Although making the revival role a Nuetral role sounds kinda realllly interesting. They only win if all other parties die, but their only power is to make people come back to life.

Super cool and I love it

Of course, when that role dies it then resets it back to the start, but it does help a lot. Especially if this role would also be able to revive the Anti-Town, somehow? Or, just to make sure that the Anti-Town also has a reason to choose. *shrug*

Although making the revival role a Nuetral role sounds kinda realllly interesting. They only win if all other parties die, but their only power is to make people come back to life.

Super cool and I love it

But if I were given that role I would type 4 the entire game and let everyone die. 

Super cool and I love it

But if I were given that role I would type 4 the entire game and let everyone die. 

They could be forced to revive someone every night or die.

- :burnmad:

Super cool and I love it

They could be forced to revive someone every night or die.

- :burnmad:

But that would make it nearly impossible for them to win. 

They're forced to revive someone every night until there's 6 players left.

As Tav already pointed out, though, what happens when they die? There's been plenty of games with roles designed to make the game fun and interesting that die the first night and ruin the host's dreams.

~Unit#phntk#1

• Upvote 2

Can, I, uh, go ahead and post and host BIONICLE Mafia: Legends? Ghidfather's officially closed and done now, and Topsyturvydom is, well, you know - infrequent, but that's beyond Quisoves' control. sorry

On Bota Magna, everything is about to fall apart.

Can, I, uh, go ahead and post and host BIONICLE Mafia: Legends? Ghidfather's officially closed and done now, and Topsyturvydom is, well, you know - infrequent, but that's beyond Quisoves' control. sorry

Go for it!

I like the game but its only fun if you have a special role to play.

Edited by ToaTimeLord

Hey I got a Flickr because I like making LEGO stuff.

https://www.flickr.com/people/toatimelord/

Hey if you haven't voted for Toa vote for me!

That would be better suited to being posted in Pulse's mafia game, versus this topic.
I already did post that in Pules's topic.

Just was trying to promote myself a little bit more.

This is my Idea for a Mafia game.

BIONICLE MAFIA: DESTINY OF LIGHT

The three virtues mean nothing any more.

Chaos is the new order.

And darkness rules supreme.

But in the darkness there is a light that have had enough.

RULES

1-Vote changes are not permitted.

2-All BZP Rules Apply.

3-Once killed, players can no longer have an impact on the game.

4-Role revealing is not allowed.

ROLES

Shadow Matoran x17 – The dark citizens of this twisted village; can vote each day on the killer.

Medic x1 – Can protect one person each night from death.

Detective x1 – Can investigate one person each night.

The Mafia of Light x5– Still have faith in the three virtues and will stop at nothing to stop the darkness.

Will deside on a person to kill each night.

Goal of the game

The Shadow Matoran win by killing all of the Mafia of light.

Mafia of light win by out numbering the Shadow Matoran.

Ex. 4 to 3

How to vote

Each night you will vote on some one to hang for being a Mafia of Light.

While the Shadow Matoran vote; the Mafia of light will pretend vote for someone to hang but it will actual be there target for night.

If there is a tie then no one dies this goes for both.

Medic and Detective will PM me there decision before voting rounds.

All the Mafia of Light will know who each other are.

Before the first voting round they will PM me the frist person they plan to kill. After that all other kill votes will be secretly placed in the comment section.

If the person the Mafia decide to kill gets hanged, then their second person will be killed.

Player list.

Please tell me your thoughts and all your suggestions.

Edited by ToaTimeLord

That would be better suited to being posted in Pulse's mafia game, versus this topic.

This pretty much goes for any mafia game (that isn't Silence) - please keep stuff related to specific Mafia games inside their specific topics.

On Bota Magna, everything is about to fall apart.

This pretty much goes for any mafia game (that isn't Silence) - please keep stuff related to specific Mafia games inside their specific topics.

Oh okay.