OFFICIAL Bionicle 2015 Topic

Makaru

The official BIONICLE Facebook page confirmed January.

Well just because the line was confirmed for January the sets will be in stores before that. Lego ships out their sets to many, many stores all over the world, and it would be impossible to prevent all of them from accidentally putting out the sets too early. It works like this with pretty much all themes and waves. (I feel like you know this though, I just wasn't sure from the way you worded your comment).

Well just because the line was confirmed for January the sets will be in stores before that. Lego ships out their sets to many, many stores all over the world, and it would be impossible to prevent all of them from accidentally putting out the sets too early. It works like this with pretty much all themes and waves. (I feel like you know this though, I just wasn't sure from the way you worded your comment).

That's right, but Deevee's point was that we won't have to wait until Autumn 2015 for the sets to be released. :P

save not only their lives

d665fa5c17bc200a946e0a69eaf11f929dc080cb

but their spirits

That's right, but Deevee's point was that we won't have to wait until Autumn 2015 for the sets to be released. :P

Whoops, my bad, sorry. I mixed up the comment before his. Sorry Deevee!  ^_^

I wonder if BZP will have any more direct influence on the story (not the main one though) like we did before. Considering Greg isn't such a big part of it as he was before and how the story presumably goes through the whole team I would imagine we would have less of an impact. Maybe it's for the best. The story team can focus on doing what they want to do rather than having to directly cater to us which could end up negative at a later time.

• Upvote 1

I wonder if BZP will have any more direct influence on the story (not the main one though) like we did before. Considering Greg isn't such a big part of it as he was before and how the story presumably goes through the whole team I would imagine we would have less of an impact. Maybe it's for the best. The story team can focus on doing what they want to do rather than having to directly cater to us which could end up negative at a later time.

I really, really, really, really, hope we don't end up with BZP being told we can canonize stuff, or request stuff to be made canon, again. While there are definitely good things that can come of it, in the last iteration everything canonized was anything that required imagination to think about and after you have it canonized as "this and only this" the imagining and random "what if this was ______" stuff goes out the window since we created our own concrete answer that didn't need to exist in the first place.

• Upvote 1

Yeah actually. Wait a second! I'm just recalling something Stephen Hawking once said on a TV show, something like time travel into the future is possible if you travel through space fast enough.

If the Hype Train is going at ludicrous speed, then it must be going far faster than the speed of light. So basically, NYCC has already been and gone for the Hype Train.

• Upvote 1

VBWj75sh.png

Yeah actually. Wait a second! I'm just recalling something Stephen Hawking once said on a TV show, something like time travel into the future is possible if you travel through space fast enough.

If the Hype Train is going at ludicrous speed, then it must be going far faster than the speed of light. So basically, NYCC has already been and gone for the Hype Train.

Well technically its going so fast that time is slowing down for it, which explains why it seems like such a long wait.

I HATE SCORPIOS

~Pohatu Master of Stone, 2015

Of course LEGO's never done anything like this before. Bionicle was their first story-intensive theme, and the only one that isn't currently running (well, besides Galidor, but, well....). They've never been able to bring back a story-intensive theme before because none existed. It was quite literally impossible for LEGO to do something like this before.

And what about Exo-Force? Adventurers? I remember those themes selling pretty well and LEGO not doing anything about making something similar these past few years. And it is even more niche, because BIONICLE is a constraction theme.

Both Adventurers and Exo-Force used story as more of a framing mechanism, IMO, Adventurers more than Exo-Force. Neither had the committal to story Bionicle had, and I highly doubt most Exo-Force fans bothered keeping up with what story their was. Exo-Force was more about LEGO trying to break into the mecha genre than about story.

Bionicle, on the other hand, was defined by its intensive story.

At least in my opinion, before Bionicle's end saw an outpouring of them, there has never been another LEGO line as story-intensive as Bionicle, for better or for worse.

No, Exo-Force was significantly more story-driven than Adventurers or Hero Factory and on-par with Chima, Ninjago or Bionicle (although its primary story medium was online comics, since Lego didn't have any TV series back then). The story for Exo-Force was extremely in-depth, with well-defined characters and story updates throughout the years it ran. The story wasn't quite as convoluted as Bionicle (a good thing), and you could certainly enjoy the sets without knowing who the characters were (also a good thing), but to say that the story was no more than a framing mechanism is extremely disingenuous.

• Upvote 3

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Well what about side-stories that have little to no main story relevance?

I think we could do that.

Still asking for trouble, especially if future canon calls upon something that didn't seem relevant before but now is, and they have to choose between honoring the canon of a fan story and going ahead with their plans (hint: it's the second one, every time)

• Upvote 2

Personal theory as to the importance of the Mask of Creation. The main villain wishes to use it to build something that can rewrite reality.

That's pretty spot on on what I think could be the driving factor for the plot in 2015. It would be lame if they made the Mask of Creation OP and ridiculous like the Ignika. It should still be a mask of CREATION, and it's powers working along that.

• Upvote 2

Personal theory as to the importance of the Mask of Creation. The main villain wishes to use it to build something that can rewrite reality.

That's pretty spot on on what I think could be the driving factor for the plot in 2015. It would be lame if they made the Mask of Creation OP and ridiculous like the Ignika. It should still be a mask of CREATION, and it's powers working along that.

Being a Legendary mask, it will be OP, but will have to have limits.

I HATE SCORPIOS

~Pohatu Master of Stone, 2015

When the new sets are released, the world will be at peace until people start complaining. So, probably a second or two. :(

"Waaaaaaah! These sets are just Hero Factory with the Bionicle label on them!" 

"That mask is not even close to what the Hau/Kaukau/*insert mask name here* should look like! They look ugly!"

• Upvote 5

What a weird way to strawman.

Sadly, these were actual legit complaints in past times. Just you wait. 

The time I remember people complaining masks looked nothing like the Hau, Kaukau, etc....... was when they really didn't. I don't remember a lot of complaints when a Hau actually looked like a Hau.

I guess whether or not the Mistika masks were good-looking is a matter of opinion (I personally thought they were pretty hideous), but it's pretty much objective fact that they looked nothing like the masks they were supposed to be at all.

• Upvote 1

I think that what we've learned here is that if the story isn't exactly the same as '01, there's going to be a subculture/movement/faction/sect/cult/micro-nation that's going to be formed to protest 2015. 

Not exactly; I think anyone can agree getting a straight repeat of the 2001 story would be a complete disappointment, because we already got the 2001 story 13 years ago. It'd be like if every Transformers movie had the same plot of the 1986 movie.

What most people want is a return to the feel of 2001-03. That was what most people loved the most about Bionicle, and also the era of the highest sales, therefore most likely to be the era LEGO would most want to recapture for this to be a success. Considering we seem to be looking at a mask quest, we may very well be on the right track.

• Upvote 6

I think that what we've learned here is that if the story isn't exactly the same as '01, there's going to be a subculture/movement/faction/sect/cult/micro-nation that's going to be formed to protest 2015. 

Not exactly; I think anyone can agree getting a straight repeat of the 2001 story would be a complete disappointment, because we already got the 2001 story 13 years ago. It'd be like if every Transformers movie had the same plot of the 1986 movie.

What most people want is a return to the feel of 2001-03. That was what most people loved the most about Bionicle, and also the era of the highest sales, therefore most likely to be the era LEGO would most want to recapture for this to be a success. Considering we seem to be looking at a mask quest, we may very well be on the right track.

Well, I was trying to make a hyperbole with that. Probably should have indicated that somehow.

As for me, I'm not quite sure that I want this 'feel' very much. It creates a paradox of having sapient machines within a low-technology society, which I can't quite get my head around. 

• Upvote 2

bZpOwEr

Well, I was trying to make a hyperbole with that. Probably should have indicated that somehow.

As for me, I'm not quite sure that I want this 'feel' very much. It creates a paradox of having sapient machines within a low-technology society, which I can't quite get my head around. 

Welcome to what everyone loved about 2001-2003. :P

• Upvote 1

I agree; getting a reboot doesn't mean getting a copy-paste of what we had before (if it is a reboot of course). I will absolutely disappointed if they give us exactly what we had before and don't try giving us something new. It looks like that's not the case though, thankfully.  :P

I personally have faith in the Bionicle fan-base/community. It's been a while now, and most of us are mature enough to understand that change is good. If you're still stomping your feet and crying that "changing things is stupid and makes it less Bionicle", "a continuation is absolutely the only way to go", "the new building system is stupid in every way", than you need to stop and reconsider things.

(And BTW, the second quote/point is not made to point anyone out or insult them for wanting or thinking a continuation is the best way to go. It is still a possible thing, just not the best in a lot of people's eyes, and that 'quote' refers to anyone who absolutely cannot move from the past and is unwilling to see anything but what Bionicle used to be.)

EDIT:@The Irrational Rock

The robots living on a tropical island isn't a paradox, it's an interesting concept. It opens up the story and the strangeness of it makes it appealing. I can understand if you don't like it, but people like I especially do.

Edited by Banana Gunz

A Bohrok seems pretty impossible to me with CCBS; their distinctive shape was only possible because of their highly specialized parts, something CCBS is moving away from at high speed. If we ever got a Bohrok, I can guarantee people would be disappointed when it can no longer roll up into a ball.

Frankly, I say don't touch the Bohrok. For one thing, their primary purpose in the original was as foreshadowing for the giant robot mystery, which hopefully they aren't trying to repeat.

A Bohrok seems pretty impossible to me with CCBS; their distinctive shape was only possible because of their highly specialized parts, something CCBS is moving away from at high speed. If we ever got a Bohrok, I can guarantee people would be disappointed when it can no longer roll up into a ball.

Frankly, I say don't touch the Bohrok. For one thing, their primary purpose in the original was as foreshadowing for the giant robot mystery, which hopefully they aren't trying to repeat.

Mata Nui's lucky. He has Bohork. The only thing I've got is this lousy acne cream. 

Edited by The Irrational Rock
  • Upvote 5

bZpOwEr

Well actually Click recently made a really good Bohrok (Onuku on flickr) using CCBS on LDD. It shows that it can still be done.

But to be honest I'd be a lot more impressed if Lego made a good Bohrok design that doesn't necessarily have to look exactly the same as the old design. I'd love to see them make some artistic decisions and make the Bohrok something they weren't before.

And I can still see (and would love) the Bohrok being a part of the new Bionicle (if it's a reboot, which is a pretty high probability at this point, but I'm still waiting on an official statement regarding that). Just because they had significance in the old Bionicle as the cleaners of the Mata-Nui robot, doesn't mean they're unusable. Especially since I doubt they'd go with the giant robot edge again. That would just be why would you even do that. Plus we didn't know what the Bohrok "really" were/why they were cleaning the island until 2008. They were always just the strange creatures living in nests beneath Mata-Nui that wanted to "clean" everything. They can still be re-purposed and don't have to have the connections they had before.

• Upvote 1

I hope they move away from old foes. I'm fine with having some of the same Toa, Matoran and Turaga for a while (especially in the beginning to bridge the classic series to the modern series with iconic characters) but I want it to feel like a new story. I want new characters, unexplored settings, new enemies, etc. 2001-2003 wasn't my favorite feel in all of Bionicle (that'd be 2004-2005 with Metru Nui the ironically futuristic city from the past and the post-apocalyptic contrast) but I'll gladly give it a spin, just hope there's still some sci-fi in there somewhere.

It looks.... okay... but it doesn't look like it rolls into a ball, which was a major appeal of the original Bohrok. Aanchir even says in the comments on the picture that it's difficult to design a CCBS Bohrok that rolls into a ball, and it would be impossible to make one that rolls into as perfect a ball as the originals without a large amount of new, specialized pieces like the originals.

I say don't touch the Bohrok. They can no longer serve their purpose of foreshadowing, and any attempt at making a CCBS Bohrok officially will no doubt end up disappointing, as they can never match up to the Bohrok in people's memories.

Toa are flexible. Makuta are flexible. Just about anything else in the Bionicle universe is flexible. But Bohrok are timeless, and cannot be recreated, unless they've been sitting on every last Bohrok mold for some sort of re-release, which I doubt.

• Upvote 3

I hope they move away from old foes. I'm fine with having some of the same Toa, Matoran and Turaga for a while (especially in the beginning to bridge the classic series to the modern series with iconic characters) but I want it to feel like a new story. I want new characters, unexplored settings, new enemies, etc. 2001-2003 wasn't my favorite feel in all of Bionicle (that'd be 2004-2005 with Metru Nui the ironically futuristic city from the past and the post-apocalyptic contrast) but I'll gladly give it a spin, just hope there's still some sci-fi in there somewhere.

What I would like is for there to be new villains, but with old ones appearing sparingly throughout the series to lead up to some climax later on. 

bZpOwEr